1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,886 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
centurian62

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

After skipping out on work early, a co-worker and I decided to swing in to the NHB world headquarters (Holland, MI) and have a brew. Having never tried the Dragon's Milk, I decided it was time...and I'm glad I did. At 10% ABV, I expected the alcohol to be over-powering and make the beer tingy. Not the case at all! It was very smooth for a stout and the oak aging came out in full vibrance. The only way I would have guessed that it was 10% was the fact that I could feel a slight buzz from 1 beer. I would highly recommend that you don't miss this one if you are doing a West Michigan craft beer tour!

08-13-2012 16:53:37 | More by centurian62
socon67

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Black pour with a tan foam that settled fast.

S - Smells slightly boozy, but had notes of raisins and dark malt.

T - Roasted malt flavor that has some flavor of dark fruit before ending with a slight burn.

M - The whiskey-like burn made this a one and done beer, but it is balanced well considering the compexity.

O - A stout that the barrel aged bourbon lovers will love. Not my personal favorite but it is tasty and worth a try.

07-31-2012 01:39:44 | More by socon67
DocJitsu

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a dark, almost black that's nearly impenetrable to light. Some red glints arounds the edges when viewed in sunlight. The impressive root beer colored head retains as well as any beer I've seen (I've seen two or three--and have drunk a few more than I could actually see). There is literally no discernible aroma. Hints of bourbon if you tip the glass a certain way and hold your mouth right. Nothing, I mean nothing that can prepare you for how this beer tastes. Lovely bourbon with a relevant alcohol warmth followed by coconut, all delivered by a viscous, creamy mouthfeel. Very well done, New Holland!

05-24-2012 16:23:41 | More by DocJitsu
neckbracesub

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Had on tap at Heorot and also bought a bottle and enjoyed a few days later. There is really no difference in taste between each of the two ways.

This is one of the strongest bourbon-influenced stouts that I have had so far, which is saying quite a lot. The aroma is oozing of bourbon and chocolatey goodness, and the color is approaching complete darkness upon pour.

From the initial smell you would believe it to be very pungent with its bourbon taste, almost to an overwhelming state, but it really isn’t. Other than a slight (very slight) dip in aftertaste, this is a terrific bourbon barrel stout.

03-09-2012 00:21:40 | More by neckbracesub
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Freshly tapped keg at Wino's Depot...

The barrel rolling off of this stuff is intense to say the least... Very little malt or chocolate aromas to speak of. This one showcases the oak in a mighty way, almost overpoweringly so... Very earthy and dank...

I guess it's my imagination but I almost get a bourbon like sweetness to this? It has to be the oak imparting that earthy woodiness to the beer... Roasted malts attempt to peek through here and there but this is a wood-fest...

This one was ok but a little too one dimensional for my tastes... The oak was overpowering and didn't do this beer any favors...

02-16-2012 23:35:12 | More by Tilley4
barczar

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep brown opaque color with garnet highlights at the edges and a thin later of milk chocolate head that dissipates leaving no trace.

Booze, malted milk balls, molasses, and oak lead the nose, with nutty roast malt forming the backbone. Hints of plums and raisins surface, and a hint of earthy hop.

Flavor is dominated by dark fruit initially, raisins, figs, and alcohol linger throughout. Roast malt surfaces late, with oak and a hint of citrus rounding the profile. As it warms chocolate dominates the taste.

Body is fairly thick, with minimal carbonation, and an alcoholic warmth can be felt throughout the sip.

A very tasty brew that could benefit from a little aging to soften the alcohol. Would definitely buy again.

02-15-2012 05:49:09 | More by barczar
Jamesthebrit

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

A creamy dark brown. Smelled surprisingly light for how dark it was. Couldn't smell anything foul. Tasted slightly bitter, caramel flavors and roasty malt.

Overall it reminded me of a better Guinness. Smoother, tastier, and brought a little more all around, however, it wasn't as smooth as I was expecting.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-31-2012 20:23:48 | More by Jamesthebrit
beerman207

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Big fan of Dragon's milk and saw it on growler at Party Town - Yes please!

A: Very dark brown with little light in with a tan head that is about 1-2 fingers head.

S: Sweet is burnt wood and some milk as well as some dark fruit. Malt coming through as well - no booze in the nose

T: Taste is lactose as well whopper chocolate and some raisin and maybe even some plum. Booze comes through in the back but feels nice on a cold night.

m: carbonation is perfect for this big of a beer - light

O: Wow - this one is quite nice on tap. Very happy to have tried it on growler.

01-29-2012 01:40:32 | More by beerman207
57md

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark brown in appearance - almost black. There is a thin head to this offering and no retention. Caramel dominates the nose. The taste is driven by the chocolate malt smoothness. Pleasant vanilla and whiskey notes are present, but certainly not overdone.

01-08-2012 06:10:57 | More by 57md
elNopalero

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

This pours a black-ruby complexion with a thin lacing of foam on top. It has an aroma of toffee and espresso, with a bit of smoke. It’s tasty, with some smoked malt, lots of dark chocolate and dark roast coffee, sweet bourbon notes and a long, smoothly boozy finish.

12-28-2011 18:04:09 | More by elNopalero
LoadedSchells

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A- A lovely deep chocolate/cola brown with a creamy head that fades to a thin protective layer quickly.
S- Vanilla, bourbon, vanilla, bourbon, malt, bourbon, vanilla, and some molten caramelized brown sugar. Think creme brulee drowned in a luscious oaky whisky.
T- The aroma is directly proportionate to the taste. Big notes of vanilla simmered in caramel and strong oaky bourbon tones. Light cocoa hidden behind all of it as it warms but again, creme brulee drowned in delicious bourbon, minus the burn and robust punch. I could see where some people would think the bourbon is overkill but i happen to like bourbon and vanilla so this is right up my alley. Its more of a heavy strong ale than a stout as it claims to be but i don't care. There is some pound cake like sweet breadiness to it and a tinge of a spicy hop but the oak and vanilla crush them all to oblivion. A bit of warm alcohol is present but necessary to keep you honest.
M-From the cask this is like sipping warm caramel silk with a slick cream character, divine, I can't wait to see how a bottle of this stacks up compared to it's beer engine brethren.
O- If you fancy yourself a bourbon drinker and you prefer vanilla over chocolate when it comes to ice cream and you also happen to love craft beer, it is a must. It's definitely a sipper. I could see a dragon enjoying this after a long day of burning villages and evading arrows.

Serving type: cask

12-09-2011 05:33:10 | More by LoadedSchells
mjpolzin

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

I have a 2011 bottle in my basement and I have just been sitting on it waiting for a "special occasion" to drink it. This past week, I made my annual trek to the NCAA cross country meet in Terre Haute, IN and went to the official gathering spot of all Badger fans-M. Moggers. It is a favorite spot of mine has they have 100+ beers on tap and/or in bottles so it is a great spot for a beer lover. A friend who was with me saw they had Dragon's Milk on tap and immediatly bought a round telling me this was one of his favorite beers. Not only to I have to agree but I doubt the bottle in my basement will last much longer now that I know how much I like this. I see on this site that it isn't rated very high. It has a very distinct taste which may not appeal to erveryone but it did to me.

A-Awesome. The apperance in the glass was thick and jet black with a faint hint of red swirling around.

S-It smelled of a typical russian stout. Dark fruits and booze. I didn't get too much oak.

T-Booze, dark fruits, more sweet than most stouts, a interesting aftertaste which I think is probably the oak.

M-Thick and milky. A lot of beers claim to be thick or milky and don't deliver but this one is.

O-Will buy this one again and store it away. I loved it.

11-23-2011 02:54:51 | More by mjpolzin
demuzik

Oregon

2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

I had been anticipating this one for a while, finally got to try some on tap. My local tappery called this one a "American Strong Ale"; I think American Stout - as classified here - is a closer category. Definitely not enough hop backbone to balance out the overbearing sweetness of this brew.

The color is fine - a dark, opaque, stout-ish brown.
By the aroma alone you can already tell this is going to be one sweet beer - literally, sweet. The taste is not bad and somewhat interesting on first sip; tons of malt, caramel, sticky sweetness - but as you may have gathered from my tone, this sticky sweetness quickly caught up with me and left me reaching for water, not enthused about finishing the glass.

I guess this could classify best as a "dessert beer", served in small quantities when you want overly-sweet, imbalanced beer, but otherwise, I'd avoid it.

11-12-2011 15:11:21 | More by demuzik
gatornation

on tap in 10oz glass

A-pours a black offering with a tan head ,nice lacing and a good collar thru-out

S- is milk chocolate with roasted malts some vanilla bean and a touch of oak

T- roasted malts .coffee,milk chocolate,vanilla bean,a touch of spice with,toffee

M- was low/medium carbonation with a full palate of sweets ,ABV very well hiddeb

O- a sweet and tasty stout with vanilla and chocolate wraped up in a stout

10-16-2011 21:13:28 | More by gatornation
bdkucharski

4.95/5  rDev +25.6%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley.

10-10-2011 02:46:52 | More by bdkucharski
Hazer115

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Deep dark black with a thin (less than 1/2 inch) tan creamy head.

S: My first impression was a dark chocolate with hints of dried apricot, and dark roasted malts, following by a good kick of alcohol. As the beer warmed I got more fruits and more alcohol and a little bit of coffee

T: The taste had many different notes to it as it warmed. My first couple of sips, in my opinion were taken when the beer was a bit too cold, had an iced dark coffee with hints of banana and strong alcohol finish. As it warmed, I picked up more dark chocolate and apple, with a very pronounced apple aftertaste.

M: Smooth with a good level of carbonation. A little sip went a long way in coating your mouth with the full flavor of this brew.

O: Overall, I would definitely recommend this to friends. If you take the time to let it warm to the proper temperature and taste it a little bit along the way, you will get to experience many different notes in just one glass.

09-26-2011 16:24:54 | More by Hazer115
dtivp

West Virginia

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured a deep dark brown, near black, no head a very little lacing.

Aroma of dark chocolate, oak and hints of vanilla.

Taste of roasted malt, bitter dark coffee followed by a slight dark fruit sweetness, vanilla and a hint of alcohol.

Mouth Feel was light leaning medium body, low carbonation, balanced, a little thin with a slight alcohol warming.

Overall it is a nice flavored stout, needs a little more thickness would make this a top notch stout.

09-18-2011 22:46:56 | More by dtivp
deadonhisfeet

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Served in a snifter. Low carbonation. Extremely dark, but not quite black. Aromas of oak, vanilla, cookie dough, chocolate, and some alcohol. Flavors of cola, toasted malt, and vanilla predominate. There's a little bit of booziness, but not enough to detract from the flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

I didn't think this was a bad beer. Given the scathing reviews some of my fellow BAs have given it, I wonder if NH hasn't modified it in some way. It's hard to find too much wrong with this beer, but I'll try. For one thing, I didn't particularly care for the cola flavor. Second, at this price I would expect a bit richer flavor. If you haven't tried it this year (2011), give it a whirl.

09-05-2011 00:48:26 | More by deadonhisfeet
cagocubs

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

On Tap poured into tulip glass

A: Pours extremely dark brown/opaque. Thin ivory head that dissipates and has some lacing on the edges.

S: Sweet tones erupt into the nostrils. Caramel, molasses, vanilla, chocolate, sweet milk, and a little alcohol.

T: The sweetness of the smell is ever-present in the taste. The sweet tastes of chocolate, molasses (syrup), toasted malt, vanilla, and caramel are present. You can pick up on the hops and earthy tones as well.

M: I feel like I should be eating this with a fork and knife. Nice full bodied stout with very little carbonation. I was surprised there was no alcohol bite at 9-10abv. Good mouth coating, and finish.

O: I'm curious to try this from a bottle, because from the tap I'm flabbergasted this is not a top beer and rated higher. I cannot see much downfall in this beer. It has great aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. Real balanced and enjoyable. Bravo, NH.

07-31-2011 00:28:50 | More by cagocubs
jmvecchio1

Missouri

Dragon’s Milk pours out dark black in color with a creamy, chocolate colored head that recedes fairly quickly. Roasted malts are obvious on the aroma and alcohol is apparent too. Vanilla and oak notes are present, but secondary to the strong alcohol notes. This stout drinks lighter than it looks and has a creamy mouthfeel. Just like with the aroma, when you take a sip, alcohol is the first thing you taste. From there, chocolate and vanilla flavors peek through a bit, but struggle to stand out. I couldn't find any oak notes that were on the aroma.

07-16-2011 20:43:43 | More by jmvecchio1
Stunner97

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance- dark black with no light coming through at all with tan head that quickly fades away, little to low carbonation

Smell- the smell on this beer was probably its strongest point of all was smelling this one at the bar for quite sometime before I even took my sip, just nice oak and roasted malts and chocolate/vanilla, really solid nose

Taste- very nice stout flavor that is nicely mixed with the naunces and flavors of oak, its not a bourbon flavor but purely oak which give its sweetness and vanilla, thats mixed in with also roasted notes and chocolate tones good flavor

Mouthfeel- very heavy and smooth with little to no carbonation

DRinkability/overall- this beer is heavy and has very rich flavor and is certainly not a beer you would go at just slamming down, in terms of drinkability its probably around a four but in its overall it gets boosted up to me to a 4.5 because i just generally enjoyed the flavor and it hit me right on tap at the bar, the smell alone made me happy, maybe not absolute best stout i have ever had but pretty damn good

07-11-2011 03:59:14 | More by Stunner97
Northsider

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

On tap at Fork Chicago.

This was beer recommended to me by the bartender. I got it in a short glass (6oz? 8oz?). I'm not thrilled about high abv beers, and this one was no different. All I tasted was the alcohol. I felt like I was drinking scotch with this one. Appearance is very dark with tan head. Smell was all alcohol to me, as was the taste.

Overall, I'd pass on this again. Not my kind of beer. Way too alcoholy for my tastes

07-06-2011 13:43:22 | More by Northsider
sluggermatt15

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this on-tap at a local bar. Was in the mood for a dark beer and this is what I got:

A - Pours a very dark brown/black. Nearly opaque. Thin tan lacing that quickly dissipates. Looks sharp.

S - Vanilla. The alcohol smell is strong and ever apparent.

T - You can taste the alcohol. Some vanilla and oak, similar to how it smells, but NOT exactly the same.

M - Some carbonation, not much to speak of. Pretty thick.

I LOVED this beer. One of my favorite stouts of ALL-TIME. I would certainly order this one again. Definitely a sipper and not a beer that you should just gulp down. Unfortunately, I made that mistake.

07-05-2011 18:59:22 | More by sluggermatt15
fountainofyouth

District of Columbia

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

I've had this three times on-tap at Kramerbooks in Washington, DC. The first time two times were wonderful experiences that prompted yet another, but less pleasurable experience. My ratings are an aggregate of all three tastings.

Appearance: A good look for a stout. Held up to light, the glass is very dark brown and opaque. Shades of dark red. The head is pretty small and retains OK. It leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: The first couple of times I had it, I smelled a great mix of vanilla, bitter and sweet chocolates, coffee, and oak -- as well as a little bit of booze and very little in the way of hops. The third time I smelled pretty much only chocolate and a LOT of alcohol. This presaged a disappointing taste . . .

Taste: Again, the first two times were much better than the third. On those occasions, I was treated to a rich mix of the flavors described in the aromas. It's sweet for a stout but I liked the balance. Different sips provided different tastes. Subdued hops.

The third time was unpleasant. From start to finish -- especially at the finish -- booze and syrupy chocolate provided an uneven and almost nauseating taste. My tongue was numb two-thirds of the way through and I could not even bring myself to down the last few drops.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body than a Guinness (especially the third time). Carbonation is typical for a stout.

Overall: I really hope the third serving was an aberration due to me receiving something from the bottom of the tank. I was ready to crown this one of my absolute favorites until then. I'm willing to give it another go, but caveat emptor -- you might be gambling with the quality of your beer when you get this.

06-19-2011 06:46:34 | More by fountainofyouth
jale

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Had on tap at reno's west in Lansing.

A: Pours black with 2 quarters of light brown head.

S: Smell is sherry, carmel malts oak and dark fruits.

T:Oak and booze upfront followed by some burnt sugar. Moves into dark roasted malt and bitter coffee. A hint of vanilla and light dark fruits. Huge oak finish.

M: Thick body.

O: Solid beer but has to much booze when fresh. Better with age from a bottle.

06-07-2011 21:53:27 | More by jale
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company