New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Welcome to New Jersey New Holland.

A: It's black, but it is also brown. There wasn't much head on the pour and the lacing wasn't great.

S: Whiskey, chocolate and vanilla interesting combo.

T: Very sweet tasting, it's kind of like a mix between double bastard and ba boris. Very strang, but still good. Nice oak notes that have a hint of whiskey, than a big of chocolate/oatmeal stout.

M: Full and rather creamy, some booziness but not too much.

D: Fairly easy to drink, and for the price definitely something I will go back to

mikey711, Oct 08, 2009

22oz bottle

Pours a muddy brown color with a medium sized tan head. Big nose of whiskey barrel and sweet roasted malts. Bang, whiskey again right upfront, i love how much the wood shines through, but then again, i also love whiskey, but i could see how some people may think its a bit overkill. Mellow, boozy and pretty drinkable for a beer of this magnitude, but still a sipper for sure. Very well done, glad to have it in New Jersey.

ATPete, Oct 06, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

20th Review...12oz bottle poured into a Rahr pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black that shows a bit of light through but not much. Small tan head that fades to a small ring and leaves no lacing. I even poured this pretty aggressively and it didn't make much of a head.

S: The smell is great, smells like a slightly fainter version of BCS. Cocoa, roasted malt, sweet molassess and a slight boozy whiskey aroma.

T: The molasses really takes over in the taste but is not as powerful as BCS. I also get flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa, and a slighty boozy flavor...maybe the whiskey. It could use a little more flavors from the barrel aging but it's evident.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin but creamy and carbonated well. I feel this should be thicker but it's not a stout so I didn't deduct too much.

D: I would have this again if it was readily available. The ABV isn't extremely high but it's enough that you wouldn't want to drink a 6er or anything.

Unfortunately the online store I bought this from only had one 12oz bottle left. I wouldn't mind having this on hand to drink occasionally.

GregSVT, Oct 03, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

I am not really sure how the Bros got this thing in a 12oz bottle serving, as I have never seen it in any other form than the double deuce seen in the picture. It makes me wonder if they really got to experience what Dragon's Milk is all about. I first tasted this brew at the Michigan Brewers' Guild Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids. I pick up a bottle whenever I come across it as it happens to currently hold the crown for my favorite beer. That said, I am gonna review this thing by the books. I hope I can positively portray what I see in this unique beer to readers and hopefully raise the curve.

An aggressive pour into my mason jar mug produced a 1-inch head consisting of large bubbles which settled into a nice dense 1-finger head. Dragon's Milk is dark and loose rather than the syrupy consistency of most stouts. VERY dark brown, not black. Nice lacing is sticking as the head subsides.

Even being a little stuffed up, I can smell the alcohol coming through like alcohol should in an ale with an 8.5% ABV. Vanilla notes and the tangy characteristic of the oak. By the way, any one saying too much oak flavor doesn't know what oak is supposed to taste like. Dragon's Milk was not brewed in whisky barrels. It's supposed to taste like oak, not whisky. It definitely comes through and is very unique to this stout. Dark roasted malts really meld with the oak for the perfect balance. Let's drink.

I love the alcohol/dark malt/smoky barrel flavor/vanilla hints all mixed together. That is the best way I can describe this. It is not so rich that you can't drink more than one like many stouts are. The oak and paint thinner-like alcohol dominate the back end and the sweet malts hit up front. Obviously Dragon's Milk is not a hop head kind of beer...it's a warm-feeling-inside kind of beer. The oak is in your face...but that's the point, Beer Bros!

I really like the non-syrupy feel of Dragon's Milk. It laces like a weak IPA, but is definitely thinner in consistency and is really pleasantly carbonated.

I drink this think like a cocktail. It has a huge alcohol feel, but not so much of the alcohol content compared to others. Too many and these can take you under, but a bomber on a lazy night is absolutely heaven. Give this thing a chance and enjoy the tastes for what they are supposed to be.

stevenseg, Oct 03, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Deep, dark black with a thin layer of tan foam that reduces to a ring.

Spicy and boozy. Black pepper, dark Appleton rum, some caramel notes and bourbon.

Initial taste- rum and cola. Big and boozy. Some burnt toffee, bit of coffee, bourbon, slight cherry juice taste and lots of vanilla extract. Has the vanilla bean and alcohol taste of vanilla extract. Powerful flavors all around. Mellows a bit as it warms.

Smooth with softish carbonation. Feel also reminds me of a rum and cola. Slightly more than medium bodied, warming alcohol.

Flavors are huge and can overwhelm. Very boozy. Tough to do a whole bomber of this. A unique beer that won't soon be forgotten.

jera1350, Sep 30, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

The head builds like a stout with a light tan color. The color is like a dark cola. No real lacing.

Light Vanilla extract aroma, some sweetness and a touch of alcohol.

Again, the flavor of vanilla without much sweetness. Finishes a bit thin. Slight sweetness in the middle, but then becomes dry towards the end. There needs to be some more depth here and a bit more fruit. There is some slight booze flavors, but not much.

Body seems a little thin for the flavor profile and the barrel aging. I think a bit more body compliments these notes.

This is a good beer, but with a couple tweaks could be great. I felt mostly disappointed as I made my way through the bottle.

Reagan1984, Sep 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

While pouring this looks brown, but as the glass fills it looks black. When it's held into the light it looks mostly black, and light only shines through at the edges, where you get brown and ruby hints. Even an aggressive pour produced the smallest of mocha colored heads, which quickly disappeared and had no lacing.

The nose is pretty good, and very strong. I get milk chocolate, or possibly vanilla and bitter chocolate, or some combination of the two. There is a significant wood aged portion of the aroma going on here, with a nice (oak?) boubron or whiskey presence mellowing things out. To finish I get dark fruits, such as raisins and dates. Great aroma on this one.

Edit: After actually reading the bottle I realized my guess of the oak smell was right. Next time I'll look more closely...

The taste is as advertised, yet slightly more hazy, as in it's not as impressive. I get the milk chocolate and vanilla, I get the wood aged bourbon and whiskey and I (barely) get the dark fruits. But there is just something about it that doesn't allow it to mesh in the best way possible. It's possible that because the nose is so intense and the flavours are a bit muted that it only appears that they aren't mixing well, when really I just want more "oomf."

Mouthfeel is medium with an appropriately low carbonation. Overall pretty creamy and smooth, with no offensive aftertastes. Drinkability is good given the style. The booze is nicely hidden behind the complexity of the nose and the flavors. I'm pretty impressed with this brew.

Overall, this beer is pretty much what I expected. I enjoyed it a lot and would not be opposed to buying it again. A solid brew from New Holland, who I'm liking more and more these days.

Mistofminn, Sep 27, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

First of all, this is not an American Strong Ale... According to both the bottle and my taste buds, this is definitely an Imperial Stout at best... The oak presence is not as nearly as overwhelming as initially imagined, however the brew does impart a small yet noticeable oak-aged flavor that is manifested in the subtle vanilla overtones that flow vigorously throughout the drink...
Not a session beer by any stretch of the imagination, yet nonetheless, an interesting concotion...

dsa7783, Sep 21, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Fond of this one & already had it several times, including fresh on tap at the brewery. Also introduced a friend to it, & this was the first bomber he ever bought.

Black, with only a tiny little ring of white. Smell is always a highlight; dark malts & vanilla rising, with a sliver of wood.

Dragon's Milk taste follows that forumla closely. Big, dark, roasted malts come skulking out of the pint glass, followed by a collection of lesser impressions: vanilla, oak, chocolate, with only the hint of the barrel coming out at the end. Full, rich, satisfying, & very easy to quaff for a 9% brew.

Excellent beer, as always. A readily available barrel-aged brew that's easy to get & not priced to heart-attack levels? Sign me up. I should be drinking this one more often. Tip o' the cap to New Holland once again.

maximum12, Sep 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Purchased in a 22 ounce bottle.

Pours very nicely, an extremely light and flighty head. Barely coats the sides of the glass. It has a nice light brown, on the lower end of a porter but the higher end of a brown. Light is still visible around the perimeter of the glass.

Initial smell is that of sweet malt with the slightest hint of hops. A touch of ethanol is also mixed in.

The beer starts with a touch of ethanol and biscuit and finishes with toffee and chocolate and leaves a hint of vanilla at the end. A very interesting combination indeed!

A very drinkable beer that drinks much easier than the volume would dictate. Be careful, this is one dragon that may sneak up on you!

Yooperduder, Sep 19, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A: This brew pours very dark brown, almost black, light still shines through. the head is off-white, and very thin.

S: The smell is complex with hints of caramel, fig, vanilla, and wood. Hops aren't real present on the nose.

T: Malt and oak bless this brew with notes of vanilla, some coconut, sasparilla, fig, and a bit of cola. A slight rasin character is also present. Hops are very subtle, as it cuts through the thickness to give the beer a clean finish.

M: Medium to full bodied, almost to the point where this could be called a stout, but it lacks the roastiness to call it so. It's a viscous beer.

D: A pretty solid brew. This is one that would make a fall night by a bonfire complete. One of my favorite offerings from New Holland.

WYVYRN527, Sep 17, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance - a dark mahogany pour with a touch of red when held up to light. A finger of light tan head makes thin columns of lace as it fades back to a thin cover.

Aroma - decent roasty malts veil an underlying thread of oak and vanilla.

Taste - much like the smell, a nice layer of dark roasted malts starts out, segued with some bourbon and chocolate. The swallow has a bite of bitter and/or char, and some mild abv warmth at the end, followed by a final note of chocolate syrup. Yum.

Mouthfeel - moderately smooth, not overly so. The carbonation is on the crisp side, the body overall is a bit heavier than average.

Drinkability - a great sipper that I will track down again.

brewdlyhooked13, Sep 15, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz bottle I picked up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC. I think the bottle ran me about $9. I don't care because I wasn't expecting to find New Holland around here. Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Off the pour, this actually looks pretty thin. A bit of a shock. The pouring liquid look like a medium brown color,but as it builds in the glass it makes a more black body. Held to the light, the body is pretty solid and I am only getting light coming through at the bottom where it has a touch of brown and red coming through. The pour got me about half a finger of mocha colored head, but it quickly feel apart and disappeared completely. No lace whatsoever going on here.

S: I really like the aromas coming out here. Every time I take a sip, I can't help but get a huge whiff of this beer. It just has a huge aroma, very up front for you. Starts off with a huge milk chocolate aroma. Like opening a wrapper off a Hershey's bar. Behind that I am getting some nice vanilla presence along with a good amount dark fruits (dates and prunes, maybe a touch of cherry). Getting a nice bourbon/whiskey presence rounding all this out, nice and lightly boozy but not over powering. The chocolate does take center stage though. Really dig this.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose but sadly a bit more muted. This actually starts more with a nice bourbon boozy quality. Very oaky and the barrel does translate well. The vanilla from the wood mixes nicely with the heavy and quite beautiful chocolate presence. The dark fruits don't translate as well as they did in the nose for me. There is a bit of cream or milk type presence on the back end, but its a bit strange in flavor. Overall, not bad here but I could absolutely be up for the flavors to be amped up a bit more.

M: This beer is on the light side of full in body. Has a touch more thinness than I want or expect. Still has a good weight to it. Carbonation is light but present. ABV is nice a boozy, has a touch of heat on the throat but its not overwhelming. Just nice and creamy overall, pretty smooth. Aftertaste is just some nice chocolate and bourbon.

D: This is what I expected pretty much and it didn't disappoint by any means. I could use a bit more in the flavor department but I really can't bitch. This is a damned solid brew and I would be totally game to have this on a regular basis. New Holland is really impressing me with what I have had so far from them and I look forward to further exploring this brewery.

everetends, Sep 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

I had this on tap before and did not like it. I decided to give it another chance in a bottle.

I poured into a pint glass to a scant tan head. It is dark brown/ black in color. I get dark fruit, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. I get all of those in the taste too. It reminds me of the Bell's Special Double Cream Stout I had last night but not as good. I do get some alcohol as well. Overall, it is better than the draft that I had, but still not that great, good but not great.

buschbeer, Sep 12, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter reveals a nearly opaque beer with very little head. What head is there is light brown in color, yet provides no lacing.

S- Smells of vanilla, oak and bourbon fill my nose. This beer smells "hot" just from all the bourbon smell. A pretty inviting smell.

T- Similar to the smell, hints of vanilla along with plenty of bourbon. Alcohol warms the chest as it makes its way down.

M- Little carbonation, heavy body, very slick feel to it.

D- Pretty drinkable, high ABV kind of hurts it but the taste makes up for it.

Overall, a pretty good beer. I would probably buy it again and definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys stouts.

kbeals, Sep 10, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Had this on draft on a trip up to Michigan about half a year ago and was initially impressed. Purchased a couple of 12oz bottles recently at From the Vine in Columbus to review and cellar. Review is off of the bottle tasting.

Appearance- Pours a dark, opaque black with about a half finger of beige head. Carbonation present to an appropriate level, but it doesn't look overly active. Head dies down fairly quickly to a thin layer over the beer that sticks around for the rest of the drink.

Smell- Lots of vanilla and oak on the nose. Some roasted malt as well and a hint of a sharpness, which I guess is probably from the booze. Mostly however, I get the oak and vanilla, which are a little overwhelming but fairly appetizing in the nose.

Taste- A bit rough around the edges. Similar to the smell, the oak is really present in the taste and overwhelms most of the other flavors. Present still is a bit of the vanilla, along with a burnt roastiness. Alcohol is also very present on the finish and very astringent, which heightens the overwhelming oakiness of the taste. Not particularly bad but fairly one dimensional.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was a bit thin also for me, which added to the astringency of the booze. Given the one-sided character of the flavor as well, this one wasn't hugely drinkable for me for a big beer.

Overall, an okay oak aged strong ale and one that I might even have again. However, it isn't one I will seek out again given the price. Worth a try but not particularly super in my book.

boatshoes, Sep 09, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip.
Meeeh! Right out of the bottle I was going, "meh." The pour was uninspired, there was absolutely no head. PBR has head, how does this fail to have head? The look is fine else wise, it looks like any dark beer. The smell is meh, very faint not distinct, just average. Actually it almost has no smell. Try and swirl this, I dare you, you'll won't get any noticeable scent. The taste, I swear I've had this beer before. Oh wait, no I haven't it's just that Dragon's Milk has such an average taste that you'll swear you've had this before. The beer proclaims that it was aged in Oak Barrels, yet I can't taste it. It's about as disappointing as having a bachelor party in your friends with basement with no stripper. (Story behind that comparison.) The proclamation that it was aged in Oak barrels was the reason I bought this beer and that it was called Dragon's Milk, that's cool. You know how hard it is to milk Dragons? It's impossible because they don't exist, silly. My roommate and I spent more time trying to identify what it tasted like, which is detrimental to the enjoyment factor of the beer. But when your beer is completely meh, you have to find enjoyment somewhere.

FernMaster, Sep 03, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my buddy picked this up on a trip to new jersey because we don't get new holland where i live, very unfortanite i know.
apperance: dark, very dark. if you do the skin test though you can tell its just very opaque, not absolutly night black like it appears.
smell: oh a very good smelling beer. smell of dark malts, with the expected touchs of vanilla from the bourban and oak.
taste: so very smooth with nice touchs of the dark malt, that accent the bourban barrel oaky and vanilla flavors, with jus a nice little touch of hops in the back end of this for balance.
drinkability: you can't by no means chunge this one down, yet it is smooth for 9 percent and aged in bourban barrels
if you love oak aged beers, like i do than a must try

lovesoutherntier, Aug 28, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -3%

After 4 hours of not having electricity in my house, it has returned. And my beer is still chilled. On to the beer:

Black, as expected, with ruby red hues when shined through a light. The head fizzes away, which is dissapointing. But hey, it smells nice. Pleasnat. Mellow. There is some vanilla, cream, and a light touch of oak. Some coffee too.

It tastes sweet and milky at first taste. Milk and cream for certain. A pinch of booze heats things up. There's the oak, and it begins to take hold. It starts to impart a fruity flavor with wood. Medium bodied with light carbonation, not quite as "high gravity" as I would expect. Actually, it thickens up some as it warms. Overall, the flavors meld better as it warms.

I was unsure about this beer at first, then things started to get better and better as it warmed. A nice beer to try if you have a sweet tooth and/or are an oak lover.

DoubleJ, Aug 27, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -1%

A: the pour put forth a surprisingly lighter body, or lighter than I was expecting. The name made me think of a heavier beer for some reason. In any event deep browns and heavy reds were everywhere, maybe a hint of plum color in the mix as well. A soft ring of foam is floating around the perimeter of my snifter and no lacing is present

S: big and rich caramel smells, coffee, dark fruits, and light vanilla and roasted malt wafts. The smells are faint and average in some regards, however a few bonuses exist for the senses

T: my mouth is processing a very tasty beer. Dry cocoa powder, a faint hit of coffee, and a slap of licorice. The body houses a good bit of roasted chunkiness and I find sweet molasses making its way in amongst the plethora of flavors. This beer is fairly complex. What I find most intriguing is the crushed vanilla bean blast that infuses its way in every sip, with just the right profile I might add, this also coincides with barrel oak aged character. Not a bad sipper and warming temps give the flavors a boost in character. Good stuff going on

M: as when poured, it's a bit light and the mouthfeel is roughly the same. It is very smooth and very drinkable. I would prefer a thicker body with these flavors. The body lies in the medium category and exhibits a good feel.

D: as far as the centipoise measurement goes it's a bit thin for my taste. However, the flavors are a nice experience. A solid effort from New Holland and a sure place in the fridge when the chance allows. The lighter body makes drinking a piece of cake and where is the alcohol? A tasty liquid overload

Magpie14, Aug 20, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a beer I've been wanting to try for sometime. This is also my first New Holland beer. Served this just slightly chilled, in a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: Dragon's Milk pours out what appears to be black, with deep garnet highlights. A semi-strong pour resulted in about a finger of bubbly tan head. Head faded quickly into a soapy tan coating atop the beer. Just a bit of random lace was left behind.

Smell: Malty, with complex oak layers that have hints of char. I'm getting slight notes of chocolate and caramel. A bit of cherry lingers in the background with a mild blast of booze.

Taste: Again, nice thick malt comes through first with a good dose of oak. The oak flavor really gives this beer a smooth flavor. Again I'm picking up hints of chocolate and a bit of faint coffee. There was also a bit of char that was also noticed in the nose. Slight vanilla undertones. The 8.5 percent ABV goes almost unnoticed, except for a slight warmth when it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Almost thick, full bodied mouthfeel. Quite smooth with a moderate amount of tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable thanks to the smoothing, mellowing effect of the oak. Would love to have this beer again.

jaxon53, Aug 16, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Reviewed from notes

Poured a dark reddish brown but it is too light, I shouldn't be able to see through this at all. The head didn't last that long and some intermittent lacing. Smells of oak, vanilla, little bit of chocolate and some diacetyl. Upon tasting, strong Bourbon, oak tannins, small amount of coffee, and has some spiciness to it. In the mouth, it's thin. There are no lingering flavors or coatings, which would be fine if it where a lighter beer. This was one of my segway beers, helped me appreciate better beer. I think my palette has evolved, it's more difficult to finish this time. It would be an interesting experiment to age one for a year or two and see how it mellows.

brokenleadedcask, Aug 16, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Opaque. Really opaque. Dark black body, no light shows through even when held up to a light source. Moderate head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Hm, interesting. Lots of malt on the nose, hints of cherries with strong coffee and black malt undertones. Some astringency from the alcohol.

Taste: Intensely alcoholic, stings the tip of the tongue. Strong bready malts, lots of grains and a nice roasty dryness on the finish. Some malt sweetness present upon further sipping, hints of black cherries and other fruity esters. Very appealing.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not overwhelmingly so. Carbonation is low, so are the hops. The alcohol gives it a bit of a burn on the way down, though.

Drinkability: Once you get used to it, this is actually a very drinkable beer. I think I'd like it with a touch more hoppiness for balance, but this beer's stellar reputation is pretty well-deserved.

danielharper, Aug 16, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured cold into a snifter.
Comes a solid dark brown color with a thick tan head that leaves minimal lacing.
Smells similar to the taste: Roasted malt, lotts of chocolate and vanilla, some oak, and alcohol throughout.
Has a medium body that is pretty creamy.
Drinkable enough, but I would see aging this one in the cellar would help the alcohol from taking such a noticable presence. Decent brew.

ThickestHead, Aug 13, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

A. Dark color. Ruby red highlights. Not as dark or thick as I'd like.

S. Sweet and malty.

T. Very flavorful - Dominant oak, vanilla undertones, syrupy and sweet, yet a bit bitter on the start and finish. Not really a fan of the oak, it comes off to strong. Also the alcohol is a bit forward, more than i feel that it should be.

M. Lacking body and substance. The mouthfeel is actually very disappointing, this brew is thinner than I'd expect from a stout.

D. No thanks, I wouldn't have more than one.

plastik, Aug 07, 2009
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company