Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,596 | Reviews: 1,318
4.17/5  rDev +4%

A: This brew pours very dark brown, almost black, light still shines through. the head is off-white, and very thin.

S: The smell is complex with hints of caramel, fig, vanilla, and wood. Hops aren't real present on the nose.

T: Malt and oak bless this brew with notes of vanilla, some coconut, sasparilla, fig, and a bit of cola. A slight rasin character is also present. Hops are very subtle, as it cuts through the thickness to give the beer a clean finish.

M: Medium to full bodied, almost to the point where this could be called a stout, but it lacks the roastiness to call it so. It's a viscous beer.

D: A pretty solid brew. This is one that would make a fall night by a bonfire complete. One of my favorite offerings from New Holland.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance - a dark mahogany pour with a touch of red when held up to light. A finger of light tan head makes thin columns of lace as it fades back to a thin cover.

Aroma - decent roasty malts veil an underlying thread of oak and vanilla.

Taste - much like the smell, a nice layer of dark roasted malts starts out, segued with some bourbon and chocolate. The swallow has a bite of bitter and/or char, and some mild abv warmth at the end, followed by a final note of chocolate syrup. Yum.

Mouthfeel - moderately smooth, not overly so. The carbonation is on the crisp side, the body overall is a bit heavier than average.

Drinkability - a great sipper that I will track down again.

4.09/5  rDev +2%

22 oz bottle I picked up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC. I think the bottle ran me about $9. I don't care because I wasn't expecting to find New Holland around here. Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Off the pour, this actually looks pretty thin. A bit of a shock. The pouring liquid look like a medium brown color,but as it builds in the glass it makes a more black body. Held to the light, the body is pretty solid and I am only getting light coming through at the bottom where it has a touch of brown and red coming through. The pour got me about half a finger of mocha colored head, but it quickly feel apart and disappeared completely. No lace whatsoever going on here.

S: I really like the aromas coming out here. Every time I take a sip, I can't help but get a huge whiff of this beer. It just has a huge aroma, very up front for you. Starts off with a huge milk chocolate aroma. Like opening a wrapper off a Hershey's bar. Behind that I am getting some nice vanilla presence along with a good amount dark fruits (dates and prunes, maybe a touch of cherry). Getting a nice bourbon/whiskey presence rounding all this out, nice and lightly boozy but not over powering. The chocolate does take center stage though. Really dig this.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose but sadly a bit more muted. This actually starts more with a nice bourbon boozy quality. Very oaky and the barrel does translate well. The vanilla from the wood mixes nicely with the heavy and quite beautiful chocolate presence. The dark fruits don't translate as well as they did in the nose for me. There is a bit of cream or milk type presence on the back end, but its a bit strange in flavor. Overall, not bad here but I could absolutely be up for the flavors to be amped up a bit more.

M: This beer is on the light side of full in body. Has a touch more thinness than I want or expect. Still has a good weight to it. Carbonation is light but present. ABV is nice a boozy, has a touch of heat on the throat but its not overwhelming. Just nice and creamy overall, pretty smooth. Aftertaste is just some nice chocolate and bourbon.

D: This is what I expected pretty much and it didn't disappoint by any means. I could use a bit more in the flavor department but I really can't bitch. This is a damned solid brew and I would be totally game to have this on a regular basis. New Holland is really impressing me with what I have had so far from them and I look forward to further exploring this brewery.

3.54/5  rDev -11.7%

I had this on tap before and did not like it. I decided to give it another chance in a bottle.

I poured into a pint glass to a scant tan head. It is dark brown/ black in color. I get dark fruit, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. I get all of those in the taste too. It reminds me of the Bell's Special Double Cream Stout I had last night but not as good. I do get some alcohol as well. Overall, it is better than the draft that I had, but still not that great, good but not great.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter reveals a nearly opaque beer with very little head. What head is there is light brown in color, yet provides no lacing.

S- Smells of vanilla, oak and bourbon fill my nose. This beer smells "hot" just from all the bourbon smell. A pretty inviting smell.

T- Similar to the smell, hints of vanilla along with plenty of bourbon. Alcohol warms the chest as it makes its way down.

M- Little carbonation, heavy body, very slick feel to it.

D- Pretty drinkable, high ABV kind of hurts it but the taste makes up for it.

Overall, a pretty good beer. I would probably buy it again and definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys stouts.

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Had this on draft on a trip up to Michigan about half a year ago and was initially impressed. Purchased a couple of 12oz bottles recently at From the Vine in Columbus to review and cellar. Review is off of the bottle tasting.

Appearance- Pours a dark, opaque black with about a half finger of beige head. Carbonation present to an appropriate level, but it doesn't look overly active. Head dies down fairly quickly to a thin layer over the beer that sticks around for the rest of the drink.

Smell- Lots of vanilla and oak on the nose. Some roasted malt as well and a hint of a sharpness, which I guess is probably from the booze. Mostly however, I get the oak and vanilla, which are a little overwhelming but fairly appetizing in the nose.

Taste- A bit rough around the edges. Similar to the smell, the oak is really present in the taste and overwhelms most of the other flavors. Present still is a bit of the vanilla, along with a burnt roastiness. Alcohol is also very present on the finish and very astringent, which heightens the overwhelming oakiness of the taste. Not particularly bad but fairly one dimensional.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was a bit thin also for me, which added to the astringency of the booze. Given the one-sided character of the flavor as well, this one wasn't hugely drinkable for me for a big beer.

Overall, an okay oak aged strong ale and one that I might even have again. However, it isn't one I will seek out again given the price. Worth a try but not particularly super in my book.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip.
Meeeh! Right out of the bottle I was going, "meh." The pour was uninspired, there was absolutely no head. PBR has head, how does this fail to have head? The look is fine else wise, it looks like any dark beer. The smell is meh, very faint not distinct, just average. Actually it almost has no smell. Try and swirl this, I dare you, you'll won't get any noticeable scent. The taste, I swear I've had this beer before. Oh wait, no I haven't it's just that Dragon's Milk has such an average taste that you'll swear you've had this before. The beer proclaims that it was aged in Oak Barrels, yet I can't taste it. It's about as disappointing as having a bachelor party in your friends with basement with no stripper. (Story behind that comparison.) The proclamation that it was aged in Oak barrels was the reason I bought this beer and that it was called Dragon's Milk, that's cool. You know how hard it is to milk Dragons? It's impossible because they don't exist, silly. My roommate and I spent more time trying to identify what it tasted like, which is detrimental to the enjoyment factor of the beer. But when your beer is completely meh, you have to find enjoyment somewhere.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my buddy picked this up on a trip to new jersey because we don't get new holland where i live, very unfortanite i know.
apperance: dark, very dark. if you do the skin test though you can tell its just very opaque, not absolutly night black like it appears.
smell: oh a very good smelling beer. smell of dark malts, with the expected touchs of vanilla from the bourban and oak.
taste: so very smooth with nice touchs of the dark malt, that accent the bourban barrel oaky and vanilla flavors, with jus a nice little touch of hops in the back end of this for balance.
drinkability: you can't by no means chunge this one down, yet it is smooth for 9 percent and aged in bourban barrels
if you love oak aged beers, like i do than a must try

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%

After 4 hours of not having electricity in my house, it has returned. And my beer is still chilled. On to the beer:

Black, as expected, with ruby red hues when shined through a light. The head fizzes away, which is dissapointing. But hey, it smells nice. Pleasnat. Mellow. There is some vanilla, cream, and a light touch of oak. Some coffee too.

It tastes sweet and milky at first taste. Milk and cream for certain. A pinch of booze heats things up. There's the oak, and it begins to take hold. It starts to impart a fruity flavor with wood. Medium bodied with light carbonation, not quite as "high gravity" as I would expect. Actually, it thickens up some as it warms. Overall, the flavors meld better as it warms.

I was unsure about this beer at first, then things started to get better and better as it warmed. A nice beer to try if you have a sweet tooth and/or are an oak lover.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

A: the pour put forth a surprisingly lighter body, or lighter than I was expecting. The name made me think of a heavier beer for some reason. In any event deep browns and heavy reds were everywhere, maybe a hint of plum color in the mix as well. A soft ring of foam is floating around the perimeter of my snifter and no lacing is present

S: big and rich caramel smells, coffee, dark fruits, and light vanilla and roasted malt wafts. The smells are faint and average in some regards, however a few bonuses exist for the senses

T: my mouth is processing a very tasty beer. Dry cocoa powder, a faint hit of coffee, and a slap of licorice. The body houses a good bit of roasted chunkiness and I find sweet molasses making its way in amongst the plethora of flavors. This beer is fairly complex. What I find most intriguing is the crushed vanilla bean blast that infuses its way in every sip, with just the right profile I might add, this also coincides with barrel oak aged character. Not a bad sipper and warming temps give the flavors a boost in character. Good stuff going on

M: as when poured, it's a bit light and the mouthfeel is roughly the same. It is very smooth and very drinkable. I would prefer a thicker body with these flavors. The body lies in the medium category and exhibits a good feel.

D: as far as the centipoise measurement goes it's a bit thin for my taste. However, the flavors are a nice experience. A solid effort from New Holland and a sure place in the fridge when the chance allows. The lighter body makes drinking a piece of cake and where is the alcohol? A tasty liquid overload

3.85/5  rDev -4%

This is a beer I've been wanting to try for sometime. This is also my first New Holland beer. Served this just slightly chilled, in a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: Dragon's Milk pours out what appears to be black, with deep garnet highlights. A semi-strong pour resulted in about a finger of bubbly tan head. Head faded quickly into a soapy tan coating atop the beer. Just a bit of random lace was left behind.

Smell: Malty, with complex oak layers that have hints of char. I'm getting slight notes of chocolate and caramel. A bit of cherry lingers in the background with a mild blast of booze.

Taste: Again, nice thick malt comes through first with a good dose of oak. The oak flavor really gives this beer a smooth flavor. Again I'm picking up hints of chocolate and a bit of faint coffee. There was also a bit of char that was also noticed in the nose. Slight vanilla undertones. The 8.5 percent ABV goes almost unnoticed, except for a slight warmth when it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Almost thick, full bodied mouthfeel. Quite smooth with a moderate amount of tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable thanks to the smoothing, mellowing effect of the oak. Would love to have this beer again.

3.04/5  rDev -24.2%

Reviewed from notes

Poured a dark reddish brown but it is too light, I shouldn't be able to see through this at all. The head didn't last that long and some intermittent lacing. Smells of oak, vanilla, little bit of chocolate and some diacetyl. Upon tasting, strong Bourbon, oak tannins, small amount of coffee, and has some spiciness to it. In the mouth, it's thin. There are no lingering flavors or coatings, which would be fine if it where a lighter beer. This was one of my segway beers, helped me appreciate better beer. I think my palette has evolved, it's more difficult to finish this time. It would be an interesting experiment to age one for a year or two and see how it mellows.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Opaque. Really opaque. Dark black body, no light shows through even when held up to a light source. Moderate head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Hm, interesting. Lots of malt on the nose, hints of cherries with strong coffee and black malt undertones. Some astringency from the alcohol.

Taste: Intensely alcoholic, stings the tip of the tongue. Strong bready malts, lots of grains and a nice roasty dryness on the finish. Some malt sweetness present upon further sipping, hints of black cherries and other fruity esters. Very appealing.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not overwhelmingly so. Carbonation is low, so are the hops. The alcohol gives it a bit of a burn on the way down, though.

Drinkability: Once you get used to it, this is actually a very drinkable beer. I think I'd like it with a touch more hoppiness for balance, but this beer's stellar reputation is pretty well-deserved.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured cold into a snifter.
Comes a solid dark brown color with a thick tan head that leaves minimal lacing.
Smells similar to the taste: Roasted malt, lotts of chocolate and vanilla, some oak, and alcohol throughout.
Has a medium body that is pretty creamy.
Drinkable enough, but I would see aging this one in the cellar would help the alcohol from taking such a noticable presence. Decent brew.

3.17/5  rDev -20.9%

A. Dark color. Ruby red highlights. Not as dark or thick as I'd like.

S. Sweet and malty.

T. Very flavorful - Dominant oak, vanilla undertones, syrupy and sweet, yet a bit bitter on the start and finish. Not really a fan of the oak, it comes off to strong. Also the alcohol is a bit forward, more than i feel that it should be.

M. Lacking body and substance. The mouthfeel is actually very disappointing, this brew is thinner than I'd expect from a stout.

D. No thanks, I wouldn't have more than one.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

2006 courtesy of Nittanybeerfan. Dan, you are the man!!!

Poured from a 22 oz. Pours a nice chocolate hazy brown which shows some translucency around the edges. It yields a nice creamy tan head which laces the glass quite nicely.

Nice sweet chocolate and roasted caramel scents. Really creamy chocolate is very pleasing. Some vanilla and light oak reside here as well. Nicely done, but it is too subdued.

The taste mirrors the scent. The flavors are full blown and come out nicely, but they lack that over the top robustness found in some of the other Old Ales that I have had. Fairly creamy, with a nice roasted caramel flavor on the tail of the glass. Really good beer. The mouthfeel is a little bit thin, but that is overlooked in the high drinkability.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a beautiful, thick, dark brown, developing a tan-colored creamy-frothy head. The head settled down to 1/4 inch and persisted. The initial and subsequent nose is full of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, nuts and anticipation. Well-formed Belgian lace. Very rich, chocolaty, caramel, and vanilla bean on the palate. Delicious malt with perfectly balanced bitter notes. Lingers long and very pleasantly. The alcohol and wood is evident, but in a round, gentle, yet full way. Warmth - yet not too potent for a summer day. Definitely moreish. If you favor large, tannic red wines with your food, this would be an excellent ale alternative. Use some in your marinade/sauce. The ale has enough body and flavor to accompany rich foods and food off the grill. Port wine comes to mind, but it doesn't taste like Port - rather this is a reflection on the complexity of the ale. I will definitely return to this ale throughout the year. Pours a beautiful, thick, dark brown, developing a tan-colored creamy-frothy head. The head settled down to 1/4 inch and persisted. The initial and subsequent nose is full of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, nuts and anticipation. Well-formed Belgian lace. Very rich, chocolaty, caramel, and vanilla bean on the palate. Delicious malt with perfectly balanced bitter notes. Lingers long and very pleasantly. The alcohol and wood is evident, but in a round, gentle, yet full way. Warmth - yet not too potent for a summer day. Definitely moreish. If you favor large, tannic red wines with your food, this would be an excellent ale alternative. Use some in your marinade/sauce. The ale has enough body and flavor to accompany rich foods and food off the grill. Port wine comes to mind, but it doesn't taste like Port - rather this is a reflection on the complexity of the ale. I will definitely return to this ale throughout the year.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

This pours up a very dark brown, that almost appears to be black, with some serious dark ruby highlights, when backlit. Almost two-fingers of light brown foam make the head, which leaves a nice thin, lace-like covering on the surface. Lacing is spotty, but fairly sticky.

Very nice oak presence, with good hints of butterey vanilla and mild bourbon. Rich milk chocolate dusted with cocoa powder. Dark fruits and dark brown sugar. Good hints of roasted malts, toasted nuts and some light coffee notes. Light touch of leather.

Good mild hints of roasted malts blend with some nice dark fruit notes. Good presence of bourbon and oak qualities. Light touches of dark coffee beans and creamy dark chocolates. Mild caramel sweetness. Good lacto presence, sweet and creamy.
Very well balanced and nicely blended flavor profile.

Super solid medium body on this one. I wish it were a touch more full, myself. Carbonation is a little rough. It's smooth enough to be enjoyed, but lacks a real creaminess.

For 8.5%abv this is very drinkable. Since it's a bomber, you probably still wouldn't drink more than two or three in a session, but that would be plenty.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

I picked this up at Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown. Shared with tenderbranson69 poured chilled in a double walled tumbler.

A - Dark toffee shade w/ translucent appearance. A light tan head forms and falls quickly. The cap is rocky and spotty lace clings

S - Vanilla presence is big in the nose w/ lots of cotton candy, toffee and caramel blend w/ a hint of nuts

M - A Med light body as a result of high abv w/ sweet nutty textures and mild alcohol/sweet presence in the finish

T - A cocoa/caramel taste w/ a gentle almond and cocoa flavor. The taste is sweet and nutty w/ a creamy note and oak barrel taste present in the flavor w/ mild astringency. A strong smooth toffee w/ a light toasted grain note in the finish. The taste is almost like Imperial Porter w/ the sweet less roasty essence. A light example of an American double stout flavor-wise. A mild alcohol/vanilla oak flavor stamps the finish w/ woody yet balanced taste. The malt is the key taste w/ nice mellow dark toasted notes

D - A great drinking wood aged beer, well worth checking out/price of admission. A beer I wish I could have tasted on tap when Brass Rail had it -C'est la vie. A great oaked beer in a bottle I would get 6 or 12 and hold half back -no question.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Good brownish head, 1 finger that faded fast. Black/brown body, red when held up to the light. Ok lacing, but no visible active carb. Very complex looking.

S: Carmelly, malty sweet. I was at a fire so it was hard to smell, but I did get a bit of alcohol.

T: Smokey malt, but not roasted. Roasted in the aftertaste. No booze, or not much. Taste sort of fades away, but there are hints of vanilla and herbs.

M: Thinnish for what it is, but good. With this flavor, too much density could be overwhelming.

D: Good, could maybe drink two bombers and would be done for the night.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Aroma is interesting - somewhat smoky like a stout, but with a strong alcohol bite like a barleywine and a decided overtone of oak. It pours a dark, warm, chocolaty brown with a fairly thick beige head that is not all that persistent. Flavor is somewhere between a stout and a barleywine - oak dominates, and there is some "stouty" smoke-coffee-chocolate flavor plus quite a strong alcohol bite like a good brandy. Texture is sharp, edgy and tingly, going down more like hard liquor than beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Almost opaque, a bit of light comes through the top sides of the glass, sparse tan head. Smell is like a big oak tree after a spring rain, chocolate wafer cookie, with air comes some vanilla. Ooooh, what a creamy mouthfeel this is with the taste of whipped chocolate, chocolate chips, hit of bakers chocolate, loads of chocolate malt ... wait, did I mention chocolate? A bit of nutmeg and pepper thrown in. Rich substantial body, alcohol well hidden. With air, a sour dark fruit taste emerges. Nice lace continues, rich full in the mouth, astringent finish detracts, could probably benefit from some ageing. A bit of alcohol heat in the finish, esp with warming, dark vanilla beans. A most interesting concoction, try one!

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

I've had this in bottles many times so I decided to try a half barrel of it at home.

Appearance: Very dark brown, perhaps mahogany if you look through it at a light. Nice creamy head, lots of lacing, probably more than I remember from bottled versions.

Nose: The first few glasses out of the keg are unbelievably good. Chocolate, woody, toffee, some vanilla and bourbon. Sweet, caramelized sugar. Some of the alcohol is there when it warms up a bit.

Taste: Mirrors the nose, but even more complex. Smooth, bourbon flavors up front. Then some vanilla and maltyness. Finish is chocolate goodness.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation, but I was also using 85% N2/15% CO2. The partial pressure CO2 was probably a bit off, but frankly I enjoyed it anyway. About the same bite as the bottle has, so it couldn't have been too far off. Medium body, very creamy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Just remember to stand up once in a while and take stock of your facilities before you get in trouble.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 7/2/09.

A - Dark brown body with mahogany highlights and solid two-finger creamy tan cap at its summit, which deposited lots of sticky foam around the glass.

S - Chocolate and caramel blended with vanilla and bourbon notes. Sweet aroma with a hint of alcohol heat. Minimal woody/oaky character, although there is a touch of nuttiness.

T - Flavor possesses a bold bourbon presence with a sweet, cooling vanilla character. Some chocolate fudge notes emerge in the backend with a subtle alcohol kick. While there is not much of an oaky or woody presence, the flavor is sweet overall with virtually no astringency.

M - Medium bodied with a slick, smooth mouthfeel and super creamy texture. Carbonation is minimal and quite soft of the tongue. Alcohol warmth is quite restrained, especially for a high ABV Strong Ale.

D - Dragon's Milk boasts exceptional drinkability for a bourbon barrel aged Strong Ale. This one definitely exceeded my expectations. My first encounter with New Holland was certainly a memorable one. I will be seeking out more from this brewery in the future.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Simultaneously heard about this one via the brewer on the Brewing Network and from Dr. Joel, the local New Holland rep. This one sounded too awesome to pass up.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip a very deep brown though not completely black. An off-white head is a surprisingly light color for such a seemingly dark beer. It begins as a 2-finger, pillowy head and shrinks down to a solid, tight-bubbled cap. Some cobweb-type lacing forms on a few walls of the glass as I drink.

SMELL: A mild dark chocolate aroma is easiest to pick out but is far from the most prominent. It's incredibly complex with some really incredible woody flavors which blend seamlessly with the beer. Nutty, toffee, creme brulee, brown sugar, and so much else. Exceptional.

TASTE: This beer was obviously made for the barrel aging. Nearly all of the flavor seems to have its origins in the wood. Vanilla, toffee, sherry, burnt caramels, and probably 80 other things that my palate can't pick up on. The base beers seems to be no-frills with some caramel and chocolate forming a perfect canvas on which the barrel can do its thing.

MOUTHFEEL: The lower carbonation seems right here, and the body is surprisingly only at about a medium to medium-full level. By no means is this a beefy, chewy beer.

DRINKABILITY: It's really good and I probably shouldn't be drinking this so fast. I will say that a bomber is definitely the correct serving size for this. The 9% is as close to undetectable as you can get.

Well this should improve my evening greatly. Somehow I had it in my head that this was going to be a stout, but I was clearly wrong. This is definitely one of those times where I have no problems with just how wrong I was. Recommended!

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company