2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,906 | Reviews: 1,091 | Show All Ratings:
KarlHungus

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

This brew pours a dark brown color. The head is small and recedes very quickly into a this ring around the glass, and leaves no lacing. The aroma is of chocolate with a hint of sourness, then some graham crackers. The taste is amazing. It is like drinking liquid chocolate with a nice sourness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is one of a kind. It is possibly the fullest bodied beer I have ever drank, and quite smooth too. Overall, this beer is pretty darn good.

08-26-2006 04:24:50 | More by KarlHungus
MuddyFeet

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

I bought a different labelled bottle than the one pictured. Mine has the silk screen print right onto the glass.

Poured a dark brown in color but thin and watery in appearance. Thick, creamy head that never really went away. Loads of thick, layered lace (slightly tinted brown) just inching up the sides of the glass.

Flavor is sweet with a slight hop kicker towards the finish. Molasses and just a little bit of brown sugar. Got some fruit too but I cannot quite place it--possibly cherry or plums. Just some slight hops towards the finish which comes across as wintergreen. Medium to full body that thickens as the beer warmed. The head kind of gqave me a milk moustache.

08-21-2006 23:35:19 | More by MuddyFeet
ultralarry2006

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Left a small head that quickly dissappeared leaving only a foam ring at the edges, and no lacing. Body was a deep dark brown, sort of like black coffee.

Smell - oaky bourbon, vanilla, plums, raisin bread, dark bread, slight alcohol.

Taste - same as the smell. Dark bread, raisin bread, plums, dried dark fruits washed through with a mild oaky bourbon and slight vanilla. Well embedded alcohol. The bourbon thing is dominant, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, fluid, low carbonation, drying.

Drinkability - this is pretty good, in spite of my not liking the bourbon thing associated with the old ale idiom. This is a decent sipper, not really a session beer.

08-20-2006 17:23:54 | More by ultralarry2006
Westsidethreat

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Loads of carbonation, towering beige head with medium sized bubbles. Body is a very dark, amber brown with no light getting through it.

S: Some light molasses, oak, vanilla bean, light chocolate and cafe au lait.

T: Overly sour with strong cola twangs. Has some dried cocoa flavors mixed in with sour milk. Finishes cloying.

M: Full body with a touch of fluffy carbonation.

D: Not so good. I think this bottle went bad. I'm not gonna finish it. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one.

08-18-2006 03:49:06 | More by Westsidethreat
FightingEntropy

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

The light brown head dissapates quickly over the very dark brown with black highlighted body of the beer. Strong roasted smell wafts up, filling my nose, which doesn't leave over time drinking the beer. The taste has strong caramel notes, malty, with just enough hops and spice to balance the sweet taste. Hint of smoke flavor in it. I've had this beer resently at a festival, and it seemed there to be very young and the smoke/caramel/spice was out of balance, and had not been mellowed by the oak aging. The first time I tried it, my first impression was that it specifically lives up to it's name--it's what I would imagine dragon's milk to be--thick and a little smoke in it. An exceptional beer, even though I seem to be a little high compared to some of my fellow BAs, I drink this beer every chance I get. I'm rating the very excellent bottle I have tonight. I had the same sample at Michigan Brewers Guild as Derek, and it didn't match up to the bottle I had tonight in any way. However, the first sample I had of it at the Autumn Brew Review was spectacular in 2003. If there is a quality control issue as suggested by Malcontent, I hope NH can nail down the issue because the beer is well worth any effort to maintain it in the market. Looking at the review clicked in right after me, Westsidethreat did not drink the same beer I did at all. Too bad. It was great.

08-18-2006 03:47:54 | More by FightingEntropy
malcontent

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a beautiful deep brown, with a thin but evenly distributed head. Nose is appealing & eventful with nuttiness leading the way & then giving ground to faint fruit scents (black cherry?).

A delicious fist sip & numbers 2 through the end are just as good! Somewhere between a brown ale & a lighter porter (the Anchor variety comes to mind), there is just the perfect amount of sweetness with hints of vanilla & brown sugar hanging onto the coat-tails of the more obvious hazelnut & malt.

Texture is thick/chewy & coats the mouth & throat. A heavy, but not at all unwelcome feel given how good this beer is; it can stay stuck to my mouth as long as it would like. Still, it is slightly too thick to have more than one & not come out it feeling lethargic.

Reading other reviews of Dragon's Milk it appears as though there are problems with quality control. I count myself among the ones lucky enough to have secured a "good" bottle & as I am almost halfway through the bomber, I'm becoming more & more depressed when faced with the realization that this beverage will soon be at an end. Just an outstanding beer.

08-08-2006 00:02:27 | More by malcontent
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

A - Dark brown/black with ruby highlights and a very small tan head.

S - Bourbon, oak and a lot of vanilla. Some roasted malt. Slight hint of sourness but not as much as fresher bottles I have had (this one is about 6 months old I believe).

T - Bourbon, hints of charred oak and a lot of vanilla. Slight chocolate and roasted malt is hidden behind the vanilla. Slightly sour but again not as much as the fresher bottles.

M - Thin to moderate and really creamy. This one glides down your throat very smooth.

D - This one went straight from Sam's fridge to my fridge. The earlier bottles I have had of this had more of a sour presence that has been replaced by a bourbon/vanilla/oaky char. One of the better balanced bourbon beers I have had (coming from a big bourbon fan). I am definitely going to look for more of this year’s release.

08-06-2006 04:13:14 | More by brewcrew76
unclederby

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

The case box was stamped March, 2006. This ale sits an opaque ebony in my tulip and despite a vigorous pour leaves very little cap. I'm picking up black cherry, cola and just a whiff of bourbon in the nose and very little else: kinda smells like a Dr. Pepper. I give it a few swirls and briefly i can detect a bit of currant and perhaps molasses. I really have to work (agitate) to get this though, and the beer doesn't draw me in on it's own accord. The flavors are off-dry and reveal the bourbon and some cocoa powder, with a slightly sour, somewhat "metallic" alcoholic finish...

Mouthfeel is medium/thin and lacking something in my opinion. I can drink this beer because it's nothing too offensive, but i don't know that i'd choose it over another strong ale - especially given that Arrogant Bastard (a much better brew even without the oak-aging) is three bucks cheaper than this offering. Final analysis: a notch above mediocre since i'm feeling generous.

08-06-2006 03:37:53 | More by unclederby
AltBock

4.7/5  rDev +19%

22 oz. bomber bottle that was nicely silk screened with a picture of a big oak reclaimed Bourbon barrel and a black dragon with three spikes at the end of his tail in front of the barrel. On the right side of the bottle is the Govt. warning and New Holland's symbol, a windmill. Left of the picture and towards the back of bottle is 3 nicely worded paragraphs that tells you all about this beer you're holding in your hand. In simpler terms they you tell you that this is their Crown Jewel, it's barrel aged in Bourbon barrels, and the taste is very complex. Hopefully they can back up those words with this beer!

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was pitch black with little light shining through it. I held it up to the light and everything, very little light was even remotely shining through this beer. Although the color was very nice, the head of foam was disappointing. All I got was just a medium sized skim of tan colored foam and that dissipated into a tiny amount of rings and barely any lace at all around the glass.

Smell: This is one beer I didn't need to swirl around the glass for an hour to get the slightest hint of anything out of it, the aroma was just there. The aroma was that of dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, sweet caramel, hint of dark fruits, and plenty of oak in the background.

Taste: I was hoping that this beers taste wasn't going to be as disappointing as New Holland's other high gravity series beer Blue Goat. I'll tell you they were right when they said on the bottle that it was a complex ale. The flavors in this were just great! In it had the flavors of coffee, dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, molasses, hint of chocolate and some oak in the background. There was at the end just the slightest trace of alcohol. This is one of their high gravity series that was "high" in flavor. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, and with an aftertaste of dark roasted malt and alcohol. The alcohol was like the Dragon on the label, it didn't bother to hide in the barrel, it was just there. I know it sounds stupid, but after drinking more than half the bottle it makes sense. :-)

Drinkability: I know some of the reviews of this beer were bad, which means I got a good bottle of this. The one I had was at the peak of it's excellence. If most of the bottles were of this quality, I would defiantly buy again!!! They clearly backed up their words on the bottle!!! I can now understand why this is their Crown Jewel.

08-03-2006 19:35:05 | More by AltBock
DaveFL1976

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this on tap at the Michigan Brew Fest AND in the bottle. I'm averaging these two experiences together to get the less than impressive score you see here.

On tap and fresh, this was amazing. Coffe, chocolate, silky smooth, oaky and oh, so drinkable.

In the bottle it was sharp, acidic, acrid and lambic-sour. Is this Brett? A drainpour. The only thing that seems consistant about Dragon's Milk is its unpredictability. I'm going to take my bottle back to the beer store and ask if I can have another one as a replacement. If that doesn't taste like the Dragon's Milk that I love, I won't be buying any more.

07-31-2006 13:41:23 | More by DaveFL1976
se7enchurches

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

This is a review of later (than the previous review) bottles i have had of Dragon's Milk, purchased last week from a tiny bit further away from the brewery (Ann Arbor). The following phenomenon is consistent across three bottles worth that i have tried, pulled from at least 2 different cases (bought my own case, some from the shelf, and one from the cooler, and all three groups taste the same).

I now completely understand the disparity in reviews on this beer.

This bottle was sharp and acrid, filled the glass 95% of the way with foam as soon as I started pouring it, and bears little resemblance to the bottle that i previously reviewed.

There is a sour twist to the smell of the beer, and like i said it foams up ridiculously. It still has the good, rich brown color. Upon tasting it, the sourness is even stronger, overpowering what little remnants there are of the smooth, creamy dark ale that i loved in the earlier bottle.

I do not know exactly what causes these differences; it seemed like a bad batch but I can't really be sure. A look at some earlier BA reviews shows that at least occasionally, other people have definitely encountered this bastard cousin of the "real" Dragon's Milk over the course of the brew's existance. Much more so than can be chalked up to the normal occurance of beer going bad.

It is rather disappointing to have fallen in love with a beer that lives 5 states away, and end up nabbing a case of that beer which tastes nothing like what you liked at the brewery. New Holland needs to figure out what is causing so many "bad" bottles, and fix this issue, both in sour taste and in overcarbonation.

When this beer is good, it is one of the best i've had, but I can't really support the sour version.

Be careful with this beer, and if you get a sour tasting bottle, know that there are MUCH better ones out there.

07-21-2006 16:06:47 | More by se7enchurches
Vancer

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Looked forward to this lil’ bad boy, the pour just got the juices flowing. A dark brown, almost black brew with a frothy tan head – head died to fast, but it did leave nice lace rings.

A malty wheat aroma, with hints of smoke. A dry and crisp pull noted caramel, chocolate and notes of a malty sour ale. Hints of burnt toast throughout the bottle.

A small alcohol burn during the bottle – this brew could have used another 6 months of aging.

07-17-2006 18:34:53 | More by Vancer
Gusler

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

The beer piles forth from the brown silk screened bottle a deep brown with a large creamy tan head that slowly fades to nothingness leaving a fine thick sheet of lace to cover the glass. Nose is a hodge-podge of aromas, vanilla, Oak, caramel, toasted malt, hops, very complex to say the least, start is slightly sweet with a tinge of tartness, grain profile decent, and the top light to middling in feel. Finish has a moderate acidity, the hops delightful with the Oak flavor lasting to the very dry end, also a bit of tummy warming from the 9 percent ABV, certainly a beer to age.

07-15-2006 21:52:47 | More by Gusler
Herrless

2.25/5  rDev -43%

I have to admit I purchased this beer because of the name. After trying this beer I had to read the reviews of others and was surprised with the high scores. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

I had the 22oz bottle and used an Imperial Pint glass. The pour was black with a nice tan head. I did not have the problems others have had with it foaming up too much.

The taste was very oaky with chocolate, malt and black cherry notes. It had a very acrid taste that made this unenjoyable to drink. I kept thinking that it would smooth out when it warmed up and it never did.

The reviews of this beer are all over the map. Some people experiencing LOTS of head and others none. Makes me think that there are bottling problems with this one.

My recommendation: Buy at your own risk.

07-14-2006 19:12:26 | More by Herrless
trep

West Virginia

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Black as night, some light getting through on the outsides. Thin khaki head. Leaves some lacing.

Coffee, sugar, some light chocolate. Very sweet smelling.

Very roasty and smooth. Vanilla, bourbon, faint alcohol, attributed to the oak i'm sure. Mocha and coffee. I can't get over how smooth this is.

Creamy and coating, perfect carbonation and medium/full mouthfeel. Super easy drinking...like chocolate milk easy drinking.

07-10-2006 23:35:55 | More by trep
AaronHomoya

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

22 oz brown bottle.

Pours a dark, near-black color with an impressive dark colored head. The smell is a nice, complex blend of sweet malt, slight roast and vanilla aromas. The taste, however, I just couldn't get into. It's sweet with a sour milk taste that was just too strong and funky for me. Interesting, but not pleasing in my mind. The sourness overcame the hints of vanilla and malt and just left me wincing. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth with good body. Overall, an interesting beer but just too sour tasting to be enjoyable.

06-24-2006 00:25:37 | More by AaronHomoya
aforbes10

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

One bottle that i shared with friends at a tasting. Very dark for an ale...small brown head. smells like hickory smoke. Taste is smokey, maly, chocolatey. almost like a stong ale that almost became a stout by accident. I like this beer a lot and i'll try it again when i have the opportunity.

06-21-2006 18:21:20 | More by aforbes10
ppoitras

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3" tan head over the almost opaque dark brown brew. Head slowly fades to a pile of froth, with lots of tan lacing. Aroma is dark sweet grains with a vanilla oaky thing going on, and some fruit notes as well. Taste starts with the smooth dark malts, segues into the tart fruits, and closes with gradual appearance of the oak/vanilla flavors, and light warmth lingers. Mouthfeel has so much going on, yet all balances out wonderfully, and drinkability is excellent for such a potent brew. Liked it before, still do.

06-03-2006 02:19:24 | More by ppoitras
brushpig

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy.

05-24-2006 20:31:36 | More by brushpig
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with ruby colored highlights. The head was three fingers of large bubbles topped with a disk of firm camel colored cap. It actually looked like there was a biscuit floating on top of my beer. Lace started impressively thick.

Smell was toasty caramel malts, sweet dark raisin and buttery toffee. Alcohol was suprisingly well hidden. As it warmed chocolate became more detectable.

Taste was a big and malty front, fruity sweet raisin and alcohol middle, followed by a slight black cherry straight from the tree tartness in the finish.

Medium-heavy body. Velvety creaminess to the mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

I'm not really sure what style classification this one belongs in. It is unique in my experience.
The ABV kept me from from giving it higher drinkability points.

05-22-2006 22:45:11 | More by EvilKeith
germaniac

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours burnt brown, lots of creamy tannish head. Looks something like a stout.

Smell has a great roastiness, some coffee and chocolate malts mingling with dark fruit aromas.

Starts thick and roasty, mellowing out somewhat into creamy tartness. Earthy wood notes and almost sourness towards the finish. Probably has something to do with the barrel aging thing.

A very interesting brew, a nice change from the hoppy strong ales that I'm used to. Not something I'd drink every day, though. Recieved via trade with jpm30.

05-13-2006 05:33:23 | More by germaniac
jorjoria

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

05-09-2006 22:21:15 | More by jorjoria
cameraman

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer came highly recommended. A dark brown color with hints of a red hue along the side of the glass. A substantial head formswith a beige color, that laces slowly down the glass.The scents are very nice some of the chocolate malt and some vanilla aromas are there, with a touch oak wood from the barrel. The taste is very surprising, immensely sour, mostly a fruity sourness with cherries and some lemon, there is some of the chocolate flavor at the end. In the mouth it was very carbonated, it was present from the beginning to the end of each taste. Drinkability, not so much the sourness makes it difficult to have several, but it is truely unique. I would recommend at least trying this beer once.

05-03-2006 15:50:35 | More by cameraman
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

for those who notice such thing, the label has apparently changed, its a Stone-type imprint label

A - i had to double check the bottle, this is an ALE, right? looks like a stout! pours a very inky black with a 2 1/2 finger thick tan head that is Duvel-esque in longevity, and darkens as it shrinks

S - has a distinct aroma thats a combination of vanilla and amaretto with an alcohol kick at the back

T - Holy.... What The.... Is That...!?!? What an unusual and unexpected flavor combination, the vanilla and almond/amaretto followed from the aroma, but its also very sour like sour milk, but not sickening, even has a slight chocolate twang

M - very smooth, but sour, have to enjoy a nice sour pucker to like this

D - as drinkable as dragon-fire soured milk, a little lower because of the sourness, but still damn good, i really like this

04-16-2006 04:42:56 | More by sinstaineddemon
Jeronimo

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Purchased 22oz bottle at B&B liquors in Grand Rapids, MI for $6.99. Poured at room temperature (65 F) into a pint glass. Having serious head control problems, I havn't even poured an ounce of beer in and my glass is full of foam that will not die. As I add more it continues to foam out of control. I have never seen anything like this. Now it looks like a icecream float. After waiting 5 minutes for it to stabilize a bit, I get my first sip.

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque, a dim glow makes it through the sides of the glass as I hold it up to the light. A tan fluffy head lingers for a long time after the beer is poured. Thick clumps of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. I have never seen head like this.

Smell: Very aromatic, tart, sweet, spicy, a hint of wood.

Taste: First flavor I notice is a bold tartness, sweet but not oversweet, beginning to taste the malt as it washes back, a trace of hops on the sides, balanced grape-skin bitterness, lingering tart-bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected for a 9% beer, going flat b/c of the foam I think.

Drinkability: Aside from the initial difficulties, not a bad beer, I would like to try one chilled and see if that fixes this. Maybe I have a bad bottle, Im gonna read other posts after this and see how they describe this. I expected something richer and less bubbly. Oh jeez this beer is a hazard, it just foamed all over the place as I refilled, or attempted to refill my glass. gotta wipe down the keyboard. I have a hard time imagining this is what the brewer intended. tasted alright though.

04-13-2006 20:19:00 | More by Jeronimo
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company