1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,879 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
TheDrunkenDwarf

Missouri

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured a very dark brown with a 1/2 finger mocha colored head that quickly dwindled to a small remnant with a little bit of lacing. Smell is all bourbon, with just a hint of plum on the pour and also as the beer warms. Taste is bourbon and chocolate, with a hint of plum/prune. Just a hint of the roasted malt on the backend, but you really have to search for it. This is definitely a sipper, and is a fantastic dessert beer. Carbonation seems to be about medium. Almost a little syrupy in mouthfeel. All in all, a very enjoyable high-gravity beer. Will definitely pick up more of this beer at the next opportunity!

07-15-2013 00:45:01 | More by TheDrunkenDwarf
JDReardons

3.98/5  rDev +1%

this is a fantastic beer! It reminds me of a women i knew once some time ago. Deep, dark and a bit boozey. Looks sexy, the body filling out every curve of the glass its in. A little light in the head but still worth approaching. Face to face you can smell the roastiness of coffee and the sweet scent of chocolate masking the slight alcohol presence, as though it's coming straight off of, or barreling straight into, a bender of epic scale. Either way, you want to experience this gorgeous thing befoer you. At 10%abv, you know she will screw you up if you're with her too long, but you just can't help yourself because after that first taste makes your mouth tingle with excitement, you're hooked.

07-11-2013 15:23:41 | More by JDReardons
matjack85

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

My brother-in-law included this and a variety of other good beers for us at his 4th of July party this year, so thanks to him for that. I did not see an expiration date on the bottle, but he got it from the Plainfield Binny's store, so I'm sure it's fresh.

The beer poured a dark brown color with ruby red highlights when held to the light. Just a one finger mocha brown head that lasted a little over a minute with lots of thin lacing.

Big roasted malt smell along with chocolate, vanilla bean, oak barrel, and alcohol.

All the flavors from the smell are in here. Lots of roasted malt and lots of vanilla lead the way, followed by a dark chocolate bitterness and caramel sweetness. It also has a definite oak barrel taste, warming alcohol, and a touch of hoppy bitterness.

Creamy, but not as full bodied as some stouts. Carbonation is a bit higher than average.

I liked this a lot. More of a sipping beer than a guzzler.

07-10-2013 10:28:40 | More by matjack85
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversize wine glass. 2012 vintage.

A- Pours a deep brown, translucent body with cherry highlights. The head is about 1" and light mocha in color, reducing to a ring of foam and leaving little lacing.

S- The bourbon character takes the front seat here, the aroma is sweet french vanilla, maple syrup, dark fruits, and toffee. Dessert-like.

T- Upfront I get big milk chocolate and vanilla notes. The follow through is sweet like a mocha milkshake with roasty, coffee-like flavors. The finish is smooth with a slight bitter, roasty character. No alcohol detected which is impressive for 10%. Very nice balance.

M- Slightly thin but highly drinkable. Slightly overcarbonated for a BA imperial stout.

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer and I feel that it is underrated. It's quite sweet which may be cloying to some people, but other than that I think it's half a notch under the big name barrel aged stouts.

07-07-2013 03:54:48 | More by gcamparone
BenZ

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It is clean and not so sweet, but the oak/bourbon is just right. As it warms the sweetness comes forward a little and some slight fruit even rears it's head. No chocolate or coffee to speak of. Glad I found this beer.

07-01-2013 00:14:23 | More by BenZ
t420o

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

New Holland Dragons Milk

A- pour yields a 1 finger mocha head receding quick leaving some lacing. 3.75

S- char, vanilla, lactose, dark chocolate, alcohol is pretty prevalent. 3.75

T- big step up from the smell and quite good. Bourbon upfront with a semi-sweet milk stout base. Dark chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, and a good alcohol warmth. 4

M- a tad thin for a beer this big. Good carbonation level. 3.75

O- a very enjoyable beer. Average drinkability for a BA stout. 4

High B+

06-25-2013 23:35:59 | More by t420o
BeerForMuscle

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Definitely not as dark as I had anticipated. It's a deep brown, pretty clear. Some dark amber hues at the bottom of the pint glass. Sturdy two finger head atop.

S - A sweet bouquet of caramel, toffee, and vanilla. Balanced with a certain mineral quality, and earthy oaky notes.

T - Sweetness and warmth up front. Viscous tastes of all of the above. Burnt caramel, brown sugar, sweet malt. The high alcohol is present, and evaporates on the palate sort of like a clean clear liquor. The 10% is present but not cloying. Dry roasted grains and oaky tones in the end.

M - Pretty slick, like a nice milk stout. The carbonation allows the flavor profile and abv to shine through.

O - Not so traditional milk stout in my opinion but tasty. Seems closer to a double bock or a maple porter. Try it out.

06-25-2013 00:21:29 | More by BeerForMuscle
BlurryVisi0n

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a snifter, vintage bottle dated from 2012. Label written as Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Appearance: Thin body but completely opaque coming off a brown tinted black with steady bubbles on the body. Off-white head maybe rises to just under a finger's length.

Smell: A sweet vanilla scent comes off slightly roasted, strong alcohol feel but comes in and out the nostrils.

Taste: A real nice complexity here, you feel a little scotch with a little chocolate. Not to mention a dose of vanilla extract. Little bit of everything. It makes you think this is your "all in one" stout.

Mouth: Medium body carbonation, with a bitter chocolate feel at the end. Sticky, I would say it is and no reason to knock on it.

Overall: This is my first beer that i have had from New Holland and yes I will buy more from them. An imperial stout that absolutely delivered. Whether it's after dinner or dessert I do not think you would be disappointed. Salud!

06-20-2013 07:40:18 | More by BlurryVisi0n
minterro

Colorado

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gift from my girlfriend for my birthday. Enjoyed with her and my dad.

A&S: slight coffee, lots of vanilla and woody aroma. almost bourbon alcohol tones in the smell.
Nice foamy tan head with good lacing. jet black colored beer.

T&M: slightly sour. Dark chocolate tones in the tastes more so then the smell. lots of alcohol but more of a scotch ale. On the high side of medium bodied and the low side of medium carbonation.

Overall: very well put together double. By far my favorite commonly found new holland beer, and I think most would agree with me.

06-16-2013 02:35:36 | More by minterro
jtladner

District of Columbia

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark beer, but not as dark as expected for a stout, definitely not opaque. I would compare it in color to a Belgian strong dark ale. The aroma and taste are almost completely dominated by oak and bourbon. Any roasted flavor was almost completely hidden. It was an enjoyable beer, and I would recommend giving it a try. However, I would not have known it was a stout if it hadn't been written on the menu, and since I was expecting a stout, I was a little disappointed.

06-16-2013 00:35:33 | More by jtladner
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola color that isn't entirely opaque. The mocha-colored head is nice and creamy, and about two fingers high. It fades down to about a half finger after a while, and leaves nice rings of lacing on the glass.

S: Wow, this is sweet. There isn't much bourbon on the nose...but there is a solid oak presence, giving off very strong vanilla notes. Beneath the vanilla are strong chocolate and molasses tones. Aromatically, it strikes me as an enjoyable-yet-straightforward dessert beer.

T: There is a bourbon presence here, but it's pretty basic...the vanilla notes are massively bold yet they lack the additional subtleties of a BCBS or Parabola to make them stand out. I also notice touches of chocolate; otherwise, this is more or less a vanilla/tannin bomb. Even a single 12 oz bottle can become wearisome to drink.

M: Quite sweet, yet with a drying, tannic finish. I'd actually reckon it's a bit too tannic on the back end, verging into mild harshness. I could also use a bit more body to properly support how syrupy the texture is.

O: It's not undrinkable, however its sweetness is way too fatiguing. Even worse, the beer itself seems designed to showcase the barrel notes, but they're far too basic to really succeed at that, either. For about 6 oz, I thought this was pretty good; for the other 6 oz, I couldn't wait for it to end. So, if you're gonna try it, make sure you split it with a friend, and don't expect BCBS.

06-14-2013 03:24:09 | More by ThisWangsChung
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz, 2013
Riedel tulip

A: Pours a deep brown. Not as dark as I was expecting. Didn't get much head. Thin layer of light tan. Some lacing bits.

S: Some burnt sugar. Vanilla. It's not a bourbon forward as I was expecting.

T: Actually sharp almost tart start, either from booze or infection. i was hoping for more roast and rich creamy malts. Thinner and more carbed than expected. Finish has a good blast of booze, as it rolls down the throat.

M: Full bodied.

06-10-2013 18:39:49 | More by inlimbo77
BanjinTsuki

West Virginia

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%

My first bourbon barrel stout left me a changed man.

I hesitate while writing this review as the Dragon's Milk is my first bourbon barrel stout brew. But I was so impressed with it I felt I must let the world know how wonderful it is. Shame on me, if a bro came along to read the reviews of Dragon's Milk to see if it is worth a quaff, and I was silent. A well tapped draft Guinness might be the best beer, but a bottle Dragon's Milk beats out a bottled Guinness, especially when you want the extra punch brought by 10% ABV. For some reason they call this a oak barrel ale, but it really feels and tastes more like a stout.

Appearance - For a dark beer lover, this is one pretty beer. Dark chocolate in color, with a nice two finger foam when presented. I was at a restaurant, so I didn't get to see it from the bottle, but the waitress poured it well. The creamy looking foam reduced quickly and didn't leave much of a lace, but I wonder if that has to do with the devil's cut of bourbon residing it its midst.

Smell - Strong roasted Oak with a nice tone of malt and a hint vanilla all blanketed in a strong whiskey overtone. Everyone seems to smell chocolate, but I've got a good sniffer and I didn't quite detect it. Not saying they're wrong, it just didn't hit me with chocolate. I wonder if a draft version has more coffee and chocolate balanced flavor.

Taste - Oak. For a once-upon-a-time saxophone player, the oak was almost heavenly. Imagine a shot of oaken-laced bourbon tamed by malt and vanilla and you've got a good idea of the taste.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated (a little too much for my liking, but not so much for a bad score) followed by a bourbon-smooth finish (the dragon's fire, I suppose) that ran to about mid throat. The carbonation lightened the body a bit and yielded a medium body feel. The bourbon kick and aroma definitely cleans the palate!

Overall - excellent. It certainly makes me want to try other bourbon barrel stouts to see how they stack up to this bar-setter. I'll be looking to see if this brew is available in my area. In fact, I'll be running out to see as soon as my wife gets home.

Your bro in brew,
Banjin Tsuki

06-08-2013 16:40:11 | More by BanjinTsuki
HistoricalMan

Wisconsin

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance: A smooth-bodied black stout with a finger of moderately-creamy off-white head. The head quickly recedes and leaves a halo of creamy big bubbled foam. A moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: A hint of molasses, dark fruit, chocolate, oak, and a tease of alcohol. The aromas are quite subtle.

Taste: Milk chocolate, heaps of vanilla, malts, smooth oak, and a bourbon bite on the finish. The burst of vanilla, malts, and oak at the midpoint is delicious.

Mouth: Thick yet incredibly smooth body with moderate to light carbonation. There's a slight prickliness from the bourbon influence but it certainly doesn't diminish the overall body of the beer.

I love this stout. I know some people find it relatively underwhelming, but I find the balance of flavors and the smooth body thoroughly enjoyable.

06-04-2013 03:29:46 | More by HistoricalMan
TreyIsWilson

3.98/5  rDev +1%

A - Pours black with tints of red. Tan foamy white head that disipates quickly.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla. Very pleasant.

T - Sweet vanilla to start followed by bitter chocolate. Nice flavor of bourbon in he finish. Nice amount of heat from the alcohol.

M - Thick mouthfeel with high carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

O - Very nice easy to find bourbon stout. Good sipper for the older months.

05-30-2013 03:31:05 | More by TreyIsWilson
ONUMello

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz 2012 vintage bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Dark brown with a two-finger tan head
S: Loads of milk chocolate, a bit of caramel, coffee and bread
T: Chocolate, some cream, again a bit of caramel/coffee- intense up front but lacks a significant finish
M: Medium-bodied, creamy, a touch hot
O: Solid but I don't get how obsessed I've heard some are over this

05-29-2013 12:56:17 | More by ONUMello
JJFlowgoer

Alabama

3.44/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My review will be misleading perhaps, because I don't like bourbon. And this is a Bourbon Barrel Stout! But in spite of that, I'm going to do my very first review here after a year or so of reading all of everyone else. Mouthfeel is nice and thick but to me, which I love. But that 10% ABV is right up front - as is a bit of that bourbon barrel flavor. Everything about the rest of this beer stands behind that. Not that I don't like my hefty ABV - just I think you have to like bourbon, or at least be warm to it, to really enjoy this one. Still glad I bought it. (Probably the 10% ABV that caused me to write my first review! LOL!)

05-24-2013 04:58:55 | More by JJFlowgoer
AndyP612

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers.

05-13-2013 03:29:14 | More by AndyP612

Freshness: 2012 Vintage
Packaging: 12 oz. bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Snifter
Purchased: Received in a trade

Pours a black and opaque beer, with a small tan head that doesn't last long. Lacing on the glass is good.

Aromas have sweet milk chocolate, wood/oak, vanilla, dark ripened fruits and alcohol notes.

The taste is super rich with a big opening of malty sweetness, roasted grains and then vanilla and chocolates. Has quite an alcohol presence as well.

The mouthfeel is creamy on a thick body. It finishes in a very similar fashion to the taste -- malty, chocolate, woody, sweet and boozy.

Overall this is a very strong and delightful oak-aged stout; a real treat for sipping at the end of the day.

Big thanks to Cameron (TheBishopco) for bringing me this from my wants list!

05-07-2013 04:45:33 | More by sommersb
donkeyrunner

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

"In this land we have defended from all things dark and cruel
Now we are defenseless in a land where dragons rule"
- Where Dragons Rule, by Dragonforce

Dark brown pour that sits black in my mighty chalice. Thin head collars after only a few sips but still manages some fine foam drapery.

Roasty, wood barrel, brown sugar coated raisin and molasses. That's what it smells like.

Hotsy totsy. This is the 2013 vintage so it's pretty hot, bordering on boozy giddiness. The bourbon flavor is obvious and appreciated. Brown sugar, dried raisin and very vanilla. That's what it tastes like.

While I still believe that I'll enjoy anything doused in bourbon this is one of the better bourbon beers out there IMO.

My first New Holland.

05-04-2013 12:15:18 | More by donkeyrunner
davey101

Connecticut

2.99/5  rDev -24.1%

2013 vintage, 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to match1112!

A - Pours a clear brown but sits nearly black. If you squint hard enough you can see the bottom of the glass. Two fingers of light khaki foam settle down into thin edging. Looks a little thin, but a pretty basic stout appearance.

S - Oh boy. This is like a double oaked stout, only the base beer is average and the oak isn't exactly welcome. Its just an awkward mix of super intense wood, synthetic vanilla, and dry chocolate powder.

T - That dreadful aroma in liquid form! Lots of over the top oak, fake vanilla, and a dry chocolate that is missing any sweetness. This is a weird beer. Its not bad, but its not good. Its exactly in the middle. I mean I don't mind if I had another sip of this but the prospect isn't entirely attractive. Thin to medium body, meh carbonation.

O - Like a clothespin with a chocolate powder dusting. The barrel aging seemed forced and artificial and the base beer was probably not an all star to begin with. Happy to try this beer because now I know!

05-03-2013 04:02:48 | More by davey101
macher0

Kentucky

4.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Extremely dark brown. Barely translucent. No head, with a think copper rim. No lacing.

S: Malty. Some sweet bourbon/oak. Moderately fragrant.

T: Taste follows smell, but the malts are muted and the bourbon/oak really comes out. Very clean palette on end. No lingering taste. A little sweet from bourbon/oak, very pleasant. A strong alcohol presence.

M: Full bodied. Low carbonation. Not very smooth, seemingly due to high alcohol content.

O: This is a very good barrel-aged stout, especially for the price. The top dog barrel-aged stouts have this one beat, but for the price and availability, this is a wonderful substitution. I generally keep this around. This is a one-and-done beer (I can only drink one per session).

05-02-2013 01:14:31 | More by macher0
StoutItOutLoud

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12-oz bottle to a tulip. 2012 vintage. (Initial "had" rating of 4.5)

A: Viscous pour out of the bottle. Inky black, with 1/2-finger tan head. Alcohol legs are not strong. The head fades quickly, leaving minimal collar. The head reforms quickly with vigorous swirls however.

S: Oak, roasted malts, vanilla, bourbon. The dark fruits (raisin, prune) typical of style are very faint. The roastiness fades with warmth. The bourbon intensifies, but does not overpower the nose.

T: There is a strong roasted aspect to the taste at first. The bourbon appears next. The aftertaste is vanilla, sweet fruit. The bourbon flavor intensifies with warmth.

M: lipsmacker; sticky, syrupy body; low carbonation

This one warms nicely - definitely let it sit out for 10-15 minutes.

04-22-2013 00:57:49 | More by StoutItOutLoud
jadejaws

Missouri

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Even though it is a high ABV beer and that is understood, the taste of alcohol is overbearing at first. Further in, the beer has a distinct flavor of bourbon and toffee. Excellent beer just know what you are getting into at 10% ABV. I would drink this (slowly) again and enjoy it very much.

04-18-2013 04:35:00 | More by jadejaws
alphaacid9000

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from 2011

Pours almost black with an off white head.

Beautiful aroma. bourbon, oak, chocolate, figs, alcohol and raisins

Flavor is slightly sweet which is cut nicely with the bitterness. More oak and vanilla in the flavor than anything. Chocolate, toffee and caramel up front with bourbon and alcohol lingering in the finish

Overall - I love this beer. One of the best in its style and available year round.

04-18-2013 01:31:45 | More by alphaacid9000
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company