New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros

ScottP, Sep 01, 2014

ZenBiscuits, Sep 01, 2014

PaulsBrew, Sep 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Very good, didn't blow me away though.

BlairB, Aug 31, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +8%

Procured from Arnolds Likker Locker in Keene, NY. Poured from bottle into Willy glasses and shared. A deep opaque black with espresso cream brown head that stays around fairly well.

The first thing I noticed in the aroma was coffee, then bourbon, then caramel. Very nice aroma.

Taste is really great. The bourbon and caramel/toffee hit first followed by slight roast, coffee and just a bit of bitterness. A very well balanced taste that cloaks the high ABV.

Mouth is thinner than expected, but that seems to work very well in this beer. I don't think it would be as good if it were more heavy and viscous.

Overall, I love this beer. I don't think I can get it locally, so I'll have to make the ferry ride over to NY more often.

FFreak, Aug 31, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a large snifter.
Pours jet black with minimal lightly colored head.
Smells amazing. Roasty coffee, toffee, vanilla notes...
Tastes even better. Coffee , toffee, vanilla and bourbon all present. No alcohol burn from the bourbon which is welcome.
Mouthfeel was thin, would have liked it a touch more chewy.
Overall I loved this beer. Wonderful!

BoldRulerVT, Aug 31, 2014
4.84/5  rDev +21.6%

kenny400m, Aug 31, 2014

klipper, Aug 31, 2014

LightnerLiquorKS, Aug 31, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

cwyeary, Aug 31, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

On tap at Fresh Craft. Dark black, almost no head whatsoever. Aroma is slightly boozy, touch of barrel. Flavor is good, vanilla, booze, barrel and stout. The body is a little thin. Overall, not bad, I'd like a four pack please.

A:4

Iparedman, Aug 30, 2014
4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

chip26, Aug 30, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow, this is a good beer. (I would like to add now a caveat: I don't like this new review system) Anyway, to the main reason I am here. This beer has everything going for it in my opinion. However I would not drink more than one at a time.

Black as night, some caramel foamy head on top that dissipates after a few minutes. But never really goes away completely.

Smell: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, lots of deep dessert like aroma's coming from this one.

Taste: Here you go, this is where its at. Not too sweet, not too bitter, not too much of that coffee thing that tends to ruin this style of beer. It has a nice softness to it considering its a carbonated beer. I wonder how good this one would be on nitro? Like drinking a brownie with bourbon. This is just an awesome beer, one of the best I have had in a long time. I also purchased the chili pepper version. That is not something I would normally purchase, but since this one was so good I thought I would give it a try in the future.

Overall: If you have never tried this beer and you like stouts that are not too burnt tasting, not too much of that coffee thing. This I think is referred to a "milk stout", which is a style I am now just discovering, because honestly it was not something I would have normally tried. But, thanks to Beer Camp and the double latte for turning me on to this style.

humuloner22, Aug 30, 2014

alex_hart, Aug 30, 2014

Poured into a snifter. Appearance is nearly black, with a half-inch creamy light brown head that faded within a minute or two. The nose is very boozy up front, almost mediciny, with some slight notes of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. I didn't get the alcohol in the taste, as the malts covered it nicely. A bit of chocolate and some dark fruit flavors lasted on the back end. As it warmed, the chocolate really came out. I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin for such a big beer. Overall, a pretty damn good imp stout, I'd buy it again! I'm going to throw a few in the cellar to see well they hold up with some time on them.

timontheroad, Aug 30, 2014

Massbmx, Aug 30, 2014

musicbeer7, Aug 30, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Rednotes, Aug 29, 2014

CavemanRamblin, Aug 29, 2014
4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Maniaci, Aug 29, 2014
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company