2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Ratings: 2,914 | Reviews: 1,092 | Show All Ratings:
unclederby

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

The case box was stamped March, 2006. This ale sits an opaque ebony in my tulip and despite a vigorous pour leaves very little cap. I'm picking up black cherry, cola and just a whiff of bourbon in the nose and very little else: kinda smells like a Dr. Pepper. I give it a few swirls and briefly i can detect a bit of currant and perhaps molasses. I really have to work (agitate) to get this though, and the beer doesn't draw me in on it's own accord. The flavors are off-dry and reveal the bourbon and some cocoa powder, with a slightly sour, somewhat "metallic" alcoholic finish...

Mouthfeel is medium/thin and lacking something in my opinion. I can drink this beer because it's nothing too offensive, but i don't know that i'd choose it over another strong ale - especially given that Arrogant Bastard (a much better brew even without the oak-aging) is three bucks cheaper than this offering. Final analysis: a notch above mediocre since i'm feeling generous.

08-06-2006 03:37:53 | More by unclederby
AltBock

4.7/5  rDev +19%

22 oz. bomber bottle that was nicely silk screened with a picture of a big oak reclaimed Bourbon barrel and a black dragon with three spikes at the end of his tail in front of the barrel. On the right side of the bottle is the Govt. warning and New Holland's symbol, a windmill. Left of the picture and towards the back of bottle is 3 nicely worded paragraphs that tells you all about this beer you're holding in your hand. In simpler terms they you tell you that this is their Crown Jewel, it's barrel aged in Bourbon barrels, and the taste is very complex. Hopefully they can back up those words with this beer!

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was pitch black with little light shining through it. I held it up to the light and everything, very little light was even remotely shining through this beer. Although the color was very nice, the head of foam was disappointing. All I got was just a medium sized skim of tan colored foam and that dissipated into a tiny amount of rings and barely any lace at all around the glass.

Smell: This is one beer I didn't need to swirl around the glass for an hour to get the slightest hint of anything out of it, the aroma was just there. The aroma was that of dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, sweet caramel, hint of dark fruits, and plenty of oak in the background.

Taste: I was hoping that this beers taste wasn't going to be as disappointing as New Holland's other high gravity series beer Blue Goat. I'll tell you they were right when they said on the bottle that it was a complex ale. The flavors in this were just great! In it had the flavors of coffee, dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, molasses, hint of chocolate and some oak in the background. There was at the end just the slightest trace of alcohol. This is one of their high gravity series that was "high" in flavor. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, and with an aftertaste of dark roasted malt and alcohol. The alcohol was like the Dragon on the label, it didn't bother to hide in the barrel, it was just there. I know it sounds stupid, but after drinking more than half the bottle it makes sense. :-)

Drinkability: I know some of the reviews of this beer were bad, which means I got a good bottle of this. The one I had was at the peak of it's excellence. If most of the bottles were of this quality, I would defiantly buy again!!! They clearly backed up their words on the bottle!!! I can now understand why this is their Crown Jewel.

08-03-2006 19:35:05 | More by AltBock
DaveFL1976

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this on tap at the Michigan Brew Fest AND in the bottle. I'm averaging these two experiences together to get the less than impressive score you see here.

On tap and fresh, this was amazing. Coffe, chocolate, silky smooth, oaky and oh, so drinkable.

In the bottle it was sharp, acidic, acrid and lambic-sour. Is this Brett? A drainpour. The only thing that seems consistant about Dragon's Milk is its unpredictability. I'm going to take my bottle back to the beer store and ask if I can have another one as a replacement. If that doesn't taste like the Dragon's Milk that I love, I won't be buying any more.

07-31-2006 13:41:23 | More by DaveFL1976
se7enchurches

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

This is a review of later (than the previous review) bottles i have had of Dragon's Milk, purchased last week from a tiny bit further away from the brewery (Ann Arbor). The following phenomenon is consistent across three bottles worth that i have tried, pulled from at least 2 different cases (bought my own case, some from the shelf, and one from the cooler, and all three groups taste the same).

I now completely understand the disparity in reviews on this beer.

This bottle was sharp and acrid, filled the glass 95% of the way with foam as soon as I started pouring it, and bears little resemblance to the bottle that i previously reviewed.

There is a sour twist to the smell of the beer, and like i said it foams up ridiculously. It still has the good, rich brown color. Upon tasting it, the sourness is even stronger, overpowering what little remnants there are of the smooth, creamy dark ale that i loved in the earlier bottle.

I do not know exactly what causes these differences; it seemed like a bad batch but I can't really be sure. A look at some earlier BA reviews shows that at least occasionally, other people have definitely encountered this bastard cousin of the "real" Dragon's Milk over the course of the brew's existance. Much more so than can be chalked up to the normal occurance of beer going bad.

It is rather disappointing to have fallen in love with a beer that lives 5 states away, and end up nabbing a case of that beer which tastes nothing like what you liked at the brewery. New Holland needs to figure out what is causing so many "bad" bottles, and fix this issue, both in sour taste and in overcarbonation.

When this beer is good, it is one of the best i've had, but I can't really support the sour version.

Be careful with this beer, and if you get a sour tasting bottle, know that there are MUCH better ones out there.

07-21-2006 16:06:47 | More by se7enchurches
Vancer

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Looked forward to this lil’ bad boy, the pour just got the juices flowing. A dark brown, almost black brew with a frothy tan head – head died to fast, but it did leave nice lace rings.

A malty wheat aroma, with hints of smoke. A dry and crisp pull noted caramel, chocolate and notes of a malty sour ale. Hints of burnt toast throughout the bottle.

A small alcohol burn during the bottle – this brew could have used another 6 months of aging.

07-17-2006 18:34:53 | More by Vancer
Gusler

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

The beer piles forth from the brown silk screened bottle a deep brown with a large creamy tan head that slowly fades to nothingness leaving a fine thick sheet of lace to cover the glass. Nose is a hodge-podge of aromas, vanilla, Oak, caramel, toasted malt, hops, very complex to say the least, start is slightly sweet with a tinge of tartness, grain profile decent, and the top light to middling in feel. Finish has a moderate acidity, the hops delightful with the Oak flavor lasting to the very dry end, also a bit of tummy warming from the 9 percent ABV, certainly a beer to age.

07-15-2006 21:52:47 | More by Gusler
Herrless

2.25/5  rDev -43%

I have to admit I purchased this beer because of the name. After trying this beer I had to read the reviews of others and was surprised with the high scores. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

I had the 22oz bottle and used an Imperial Pint glass. The pour was black with a nice tan head. I did not have the problems others have had with it foaming up too much.

The taste was very oaky with chocolate, malt and black cherry notes. It had a very acrid taste that made this unenjoyable to drink. I kept thinking that it would smooth out when it warmed up and it never did.

The reviews of this beer are all over the map. Some people experiencing LOTS of head and others none. Makes me think that there are bottling problems with this one.

My recommendation: Buy at your own risk.

07-14-2006 19:12:26 | More by Herrless
trep

West Virginia

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Black as night, some light getting through on the outsides. Thin khaki head. Leaves some lacing.

Coffee, sugar, some light chocolate. Very sweet smelling.

Very roasty and smooth. Vanilla, bourbon, faint alcohol, attributed to the oak i'm sure. Mocha and coffee. I can't get over how smooth this is.

Creamy and coating, perfect carbonation and medium/full mouthfeel. Super easy drinking...like chocolate milk easy drinking.

07-10-2006 23:35:55 | More by trep
AaronHomoya

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

22 oz brown bottle.

Pours a dark, near-black color with an impressive dark colored head. The smell is a nice, complex blend of sweet malt, slight roast and vanilla aromas. The taste, however, I just couldn't get into. It's sweet with a sour milk taste that was just too strong and funky for me. Interesting, but not pleasing in my mind. The sourness overcame the hints of vanilla and malt and just left me wincing. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth with good body. Overall, an interesting beer but just too sour tasting to be enjoyable.

06-24-2006 00:25:37 | More by AaronHomoya
aforbes10

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

One bottle that i shared with friends at a tasting. Very dark for an ale...small brown head. smells like hickory smoke. Taste is smokey, maly, chocolatey. almost like a stong ale that almost became a stout by accident. I like this beer a lot and i'll try it again when i have the opportunity.

06-21-2006 18:21:20 | More by aforbes10
ppoitras

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3" tan head over the almost opaque dark brown brew. Head slowly fades to a pile of froth, with lots of tan lacing. Aroma is dark sweet grains with a vanilla oaky thing going on, and some fruit notes as well. Taste starts with the smooth dark malts, segues into the tart fruits, and closes with gradual appearance of the oak/vanilla flavors, and light warmth lingers. Mouthfeel has so much going on, yet all balances out wonderfully, and drinkability is excellent for such a potent brew. Liked it before, still do.

06-03-2006 02:19:24 | More by ppoitras
brushpig

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy.

05-24-2006 20:31:36 | More by brushpig
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with ruby colored highlights. The head was three fingers of large bubbles topped with a disk of firm camel colored cap. It actually looked like there was a biscuit floating on top of my beer. Lace started impressively thick.

Smell was toasty caramel malts, sweet dark raisin and buttery toffee. Alcohol was suprisingly well hidden. As it warmed chocolate became more detectable.

Taste was a big and malty front, fruity sweet raisin and alcohol middle, followed by a slight black cherry straight from the tree tartness in the finish.

Medium-heavy body. Velvety creaminess to the mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

I'm not really sure what style classification this one belongs in. It is unique in my experience.
The ABV kept me from from giving it higher drinkability points.

05-22-2006 22:45:11 | More by EvilKeith
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

This poured an absolute opaque creamy brown/black, with a hufe foamy tan head which lasted several minutes. There was lacing all throughout the tasting.The aroma, was one of the best I've ever had. It smelled like an old-time chocolate malt; the creaminess of ice cream, the bitter and roasted cocoa, mild coffee, mild caramel. It was incredible and very complex.
The taste was also complex; a bitting dry bitter chocolate, maybe sour fruits? Malts and very mild hops.
It was slightly thinner than the HUGE head and creamy aroma led me to believe. However, the 10% abv was well-disguised.
I was well impressed with the beer's drinkability also, quite good for something that seems to heavy at first. Buy this if just for the incredible aroma.

05-15-2006 19:09:22 | More by sinistrsam
germaniac

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours burnt brown, lots of creamy tannish head. Looks something like a stout.

Smell has a great roastiness, some coffee and chocolate malts mingling with dark fruit aromas.

Starts thick and roasty, mellowing out somewhat into creamy tartness. Earthy wood notes and almost sourness towards the finish. Probably has something to do with the barrel aging thing.

A very interesting brew, a nice change from the hoppy strong ales that I'm used to. Not something I'd drink every day, though. Recieved via trade with jpm30.

05-13-2006 05:33:23 | More by germaniac
jorjoria

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Now I like New Holland Brewing Co. but I found this beer to be less then palatable. According to the New Holland website I was expecting, "a complex ale with a soft, rich caramel malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones; all dancing in an oak bath."

There now if by complex they meant as sour as any Gueuze or Lambic I've ever had then they would be correct. I did get a faint hint of the oak in this beer and a little bit of vanilla but over all just tons and tons of sour flavor. To be honest it tasted like a batch of infected homebrew I once had. Now I wasn't going to slam this beer and I truly thought I got a bad bottle but after reading some of the other reviews apparently I'm not the only one the found this sour flavor. This beer is by no means an American Strong Ale it should be classified as a Flemish Imperial Stout if such a thing exists. Now for this beers credit it is interesting but just way to unbalanced I drank shared the bottle with three friends all of who enjoy craft brew including funky Belgians and the like and none of us found this brew appealing. Anyway I still like New Holland and next time I'm in the mid west I'll be picking up some of their black tulip.

05-09-2006 22:21:15 | More by jorjoria
cameraman

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer came highly recommended. A dark brown color with hints of a red hue along the side of the glass. A substantial head formswith a beige color, that laces slowly down the glass.The scents are very nice some of the chocolate malt and some vanilla aromas are there, with a touch oak wood from the barrel. The taste is very surprising, immensely sour, mostly a fruity sourness with cherries and some lemon, there is some of the chocolate flavor at the end. In the mouth it was very carbonated, it was present from the beginning to the end of each taste. Drinkability, not so much the sourness makes it difficult to have several, but it is truely unique. I would recommend at least trying this beer once.

05-03-2006 15:50:35 | More by cameraman
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

for those who notice such thing, the label has apparently changed, its a Stone-type imprint label

A - i had to double check the bottle, this is an ALE, right? looks like a stout! pours a very inky black with a 2 1/2 finger thick tan head that is Duvel-esque in longevity, and darkens as it shrinks

S - has a distinct aroma thats a combination of vanilla and amaretto with an alcohol kick at the back

T - Holy.... What The.... Is That...!?!? What an unusual and unexpected flavor combination, the vanilla and almond/amaretto followed from the aroma, but its also very sour like sour milk, but not sickening, even has a slight chocolate twang

M - very smooth, but sour, have to enjoy a nice sour pucker to like this

D - as drinkable as dragon-fire soured milk, a little lower because of the sourness, but still damn good, i really like this

04-16-2006 04:42:56 | More by sinstaineddemon
Jeronimo

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Purchased 22oz bottle at B&B liquors in Grand Rapids, MI for $6.99. Poured at room temperature (65 F) into a pint glass. Having serious head control problems, I havn't even poured an ounce of beer in and my glass is full of foam that will not die. As I add more it continues to foam out of control. I have never seen anything like this. Now it looks like a icecream float. After waiting 5 minutes for it to stabilize a bit, I get my first sip.

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque, a dim glow makes it through the sides of the glass as I hold it up to the light. A tan fluffy head lingers for a long time after the beer is poured. Thick clumps of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. I have never seen head like this.

Smell: Very aromatic, tart, sweet, spicy, a hint of wood.

Taste: First flavor I notice is a bold tartness, sweet but not oversweet, beginning to taste the malt as it washes back, a trace of hops on the sides, balanced grape-skin bitterness, lingering tart-bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected for a 9% beer, going flat b/c of the foam I think.

Drinkability: Aside from the initial difficulties, not a bad beer, I would like to try one chilled and see if that fixes this. Maybe I have a bad bottle, Im gonna read other posts after this and see how they describe this. I expected something richer and less bubbly. Oh jeez this beer is a hazard, it just foamed all over the place as I refilled, or attempted to refill my glass. gotta wipe down the keyboard. I have a hard time imagining this is what the brewer intended. tasted alright though.

04-13-2006 20:19:00 | More by Jeronimo
Beaver13

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head that quickly goes to a collar.

The aroma is oakey and vinous with a big chocolate and peat malt base and a touch of tart and sour dark fruits. As it warms, old cheese and strong alcohol comes out.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with some vinous alcohol and plums. It has a smooth woody finish. As it warms, a lot of alcoholic and tart (almost sour) fruitiness comes out (cherries, plums). The mouthfeel is medium bodied and velvety.

Overall, it was not as complex as I had expected. I liked the first sip, but the more I drank of it, the less I liked it. The alcoholic tart sourness started to become a bit overbearing. It kind of reminds me of liquid fruit cake.

04-13-2006 05:38:26 | More by Beaver13
mntlover

Tennessee

Pours a dark mahogany nice fluffy brownish head that leaves lots of lace.

Aroma is nice chocolate, fruity nice cherries, dry wine like aromas some vanilla light bourbon mixed thru out. Very different strong ale but nice so far.

Taste some roasted flavors hints of chocolate then strong cherry flavors come on sour wine like again light vanilla and bourbon flavors with some sour vinegar notes mixed with cherry. Finish is light hops and vanilla notes. I know this review kind of wonders but this is so strange but good :) Sour Chocoalte Covered Cherries.

Mouthfeel is lighter then I expected but seems to suite the beer well, as this beer isn't what I was expecting.

Drinkability is good, its different and unique one half Stout and half Flanders. Would like to have more to explore in depth but only have one thanks cretemixer.

04-06-2006 10:50:38 | More by mntlover
Crosling

Colorado

Brown in color with a filmy and glass coating light tan head. Complex & inviting nose with a variety of dimensions, wood (bourbon, soaked oak), malt (chocolate, roast) along with hints of rum cake and chocolate covered cherries. Creamy, bubbly feel on the palate. Flavors continue on, contributing what the aroma hinted at. Well extracted malts with hints of chocolate, vinous fruits, bourbon, maple and vanilla. A very good beer and oddly enough, this was strikingly similar to a rare beer I had at the Le Sois Bock in Paris this past summer called Warenghem Olde Breizh (which I am the only rater of). Their malt profiles were nearly identical and they were both aged in wood.

03-28-2006 03:51:16 | More by Crosling
mattcrill

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Label gives ABV 9%, 19 Plato and I should expect oak, vanilla, and carmel notes.

Aroma: Warm and inviting blend of vanilla, carmel, creamed coffee, and a touch of some woody, earthy undertones.

Appearance: Inky black and dense. Jet black from edge to edge. A tight, sudsy, and creamy biege cap forms.

Flavor: A lactic twang hits the palate first followed by sweet oak, a brush of vanilla, raisins, a bit of smokiness, and just a touch of tannic astringency. I think there is some Brett-funk going on there too.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation but enough to keep it interesting. Medium bodied and just a touch slick. The lactic acidity lingers after each taste.

Overall impression: Kind of interesting. This is what a wood-aged beer should be. It should accentuate not dominate the characteristics of the beer. That being said, without the wood aging, this would be a pretty one dimensional beer. The wood aging fatigues the palate pretty quickly. Worth a try.

03-19-2006 20:05:00 | More by mattcrill
TheBungyo

Washington

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

22 oz courtesy of the generous Northertimber.

Poured night black with a head that grew like it was on steroids! I'm not kidding, this head would not quit. I have a 20 oz nonic but I could only get half of this into it without running the risk of having it tumble over the edge. Looks very tasty. I lower my head and take whiff ... white wine? Yep, I'm smelling white wine, a little vanilla and lots of citrusy acidic orange. Very strange. A taste treats me to an almost overpowering white wine taste coupled with vanilla, chocolate, and a very sour taste. Each time I sip I taste something else, a feeling that is very engaging. I'm not wild about the taste of this beer, but it is damned interesting, enough to give it a higher score than I might have just because it lends to serious ponderance. As interesting as it is, a second is not in order.

03-18-2006 07:24:57 | More by TheBungyo
DrJay

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Very dark brown with ruby highlights. Light brown head made up of fine bubbles - good retention and nice lacing. Lots of vanilla in the aroma. Also some oak and chocolate maltiness. Complex flavour with plenty of orange character and some chocolate maltiness. Some wood, mild roast and moderate bitterness. Slightly aggressive carbonation with a smooth, full body. Surprisingly well hidden alcohol makes this easy drinking, but it's still a sipping beer!

03-05-2006 18:32:05 | More by DrJay
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company