2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,894 | Reviews: 1,089 | Show All Ratings:
RepMichigan

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: minimal to no head, opaque body

S: Smells of booze right off, but you do gets hints of coffe, chocolate and toffe

T: Chocolate and coffe as i smelled in the boquet alcohol is apparent but not overwhelming

M: a little thin i thought, maybe should have been more creamy

O: honestly the first time I had this I was disgusted, tried it again and now I love it.
Goes to show that ya gotta try everything twice!

01-05-2012 00:35:23 | More by RepMichigan
stooge

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage, aged approximately one year in refrigeration.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance- Dark brown, slightly opaque, with a very little head; laces well, with low carbonation.

Aroma- Not overly aromatic, subtle scents of vanilla, roasted malt, and oak present.

Taste- Slightly sweet with toffee, caramel and chocolate on the front end, followed by a nice vanilla and boozy oak finish. Hints of oak and bittersweet chocolate linger.

Mouthfeel- Very nicely balanced, perfect mouthfeel for the style.

Overall- Very enjoyable, perhaps not on the level of some of the more hyped barrel aged selections that are released in limited quantities, but well balanced and available year around. Dragon's Milk has become a staple in my beer fridge due to it's consistency and availability. Highly recommended!

04-06-2013 05:31:48 | More by stooge
jadejaws

Missouri

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Even though it is a high ABV beer and that is understood, the taste of alcohol is overbearing at first. Further in, the beer has a distinct flavor of bourbon and toffee. Excellent beer just know what you are getting into at 10% ABV. I would drink this (slowly) again and enjoy it very much.

04-18-2013 04:35:00 | More by jadejaws
Beerdanza

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the perfect sipping beer. The oak barrel aging gives it an amazing heart and soul. You will taste the sweet malt, and a nice touch of hop bitterness. But the oak resins really come through, and mix with the high ABV to make a beer that has all the sipping satisfaction of a fine bourbon. This is probably my favorite beer so far. Try it if you can!

07-29-2013 22:32:39 | More by Beerdanza
mporter249

South Carolina

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Dark brown-black in color, almost no head, poor retention. Opaque, overall nice-looking, but the head is disappointing.

Smell: Chocolate, sweet, nutty, biscuity, smells good and smooth.

Taste: Chocolatey, a little bitter up front, smooth overall though, slightly sweet. Not incredible, but pretty good, yeah.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a little more apparent here. A little rough in the middle but otherwise smooth. Fairly well-balanced.

Overall: Pretty good, but not great. Definitely enjoyable, but I think I'd go for a Sam Smith Chocolate Stout over this.

08-16-2013 22:07:47 | More by mporter249
Beechner719

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

This is an awesome beer. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 160oz glass. Comes our black with a minimal tan head and a little carbonation. The aroma is a bourbon and chocolate with little hints of vanilla. The taste is great. As soon as it hits your mouth you get a chocolate/vanilla mix. The back end is mostly bourbon. It's the perfect combination. The beer is not too thin or thick. It's just right. I actually prefer this beer over KBS.

09-18-2013 17:04:32 | More by Beechner719
Boozermurfin

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bear inning this is my first bourbon barrel aged stout review.

Smell and taste were not as complex and interesting as hoping. Strong notes of vanilla, roasted malts, some chocolate, some coffe and distinct bourbon in the aroma.

Taste was mostly vanilla and bourbon. Good but not great. Very creamy. Coats your mouth. Picking up more chocolate as I progress.

Very good. Not great. Will adjust ratings as I venture into more bourbon ages stouts. Was hoping for a little more barrel character.

03-15-2014 01:35:18 | More by Boozermurfin
Doerrijustmether

3.98/5  rDev +1%

poured aggressive to pint glass

1/2 finger of head, dissipated quickly, little to no lacing,

beer is a deep brown

smells of strong bourbon, hints of roasted malt, burnt caramel and chocolate.

i get a strong bourbon taste upfront. a little overpowering the rest of the flavors. the beer is light though, not full bodied as i expected, good clean finish, good beer.

not the best of bourbon aged stouts but definitely a great beer and readily available around here unlike some of the impossible to find ones.

04-05-2014 16:14:37 | More by Doerrijustmether
foggymountainman

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

just hanging out at work, (wine bar), tasting for a possible on-tap brew. 22 oz brown bomber and good people. the pour was smooth but little head, a little lacing on the glass, a brew-tiful brown. the taste is nice and malty, a hint of raisin? yum. i could drink the whole 22 oz, but not with heidi about.

02-16-2010 22:45:54 | More by foggymountainman
fishacura

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

I was sadly disappointed in this one.

A: Poured well a deep rich color but with absolutely no head. I knew I was in trouble...was expecting a rich thick head but got probably a 1/16 inch that fizzled quickly.

S: Smell was malt and chocolate. Was thinking maybe I was being too harsh.

T: IMHO, terrible. Let me stress I am a malty beer lover and do not like overly hoppy beers like IPAs. This was like drinking maple syrup however.

Just not very impressed with this one at all.

11-01-2010 15:06:43 | More by fishacura
madamebeer

4.53/5  rDev +15%

Appearance- Flows out with a nice dark caramel tint, has almost no head, but leaves a small lingering ring along the edge of the glass

Smell- very malty with a hint of oak, sweet with a tinge of the bite of alcohol

Taste- Surprisingy sweet and malty with yet again that bite of alcohol. but it isn't in anyway unpleasant. It has an aftertaste of chocolately blis

Mouthfeel- the only thing i don't like about about this beer is the dry feeling it leaves in my mouth. But otherwise it is very smooth and goes down like a dream

11-16-2010 20:04:38 | More by madamebeer
tyleeis

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance is dark, can't really see through it. Really thin tan head, roughly 1/4 of an inch.

Smells sweet, slight chocolate, and a little booze. Something reminds me of whiskey...can't put my finger on it.

Taste is sweet, little fruity(raisins), alcohol at the end and again an aftertaste that reminds me of whiskey-like a hint of coconut? A bit boozy for me.

Mouthfeel is nice. Slightly milky with light carbonation, coats your teeth but not too chewy.

Overall it wasn't bad, but not a favorite. I tend to like milk stouts more so that may be part of the reason I wasn't blown away. It's unique and I'd drink it again.

01-29-2012 23:47:51 | More by tyleeis
HoppyHomo

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

I picked up this beer right after finishing the Game of Thrones books. Anything to do with Dragons I'm a fan of.While im not the biggest fan of Oak aged beers, i have to say that this is a good tasting beer.

I would compare this beers blackness coming out of the Bottle like oil found on Jeb Clampetts farm. The beer pours a dark black with a light head.

The first sip is smooth, and at 10% alc its not over powering. It really is something to behold; halfway through the bottle and im already feeling it. But then again im kind of a pussy.

Overall while not being a huge fan of barrel aged stouts i have to say this was pretty impressive.

10-26-2012 02:33:14 | More by HoppyHomo
HistoricalMan

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance: A smooth-bodied black stout with a finger of moderately-creamy off-white head. The head quickly recedes and leaves a halo of creamy big bubbled foam. A moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: A hint of molasses, dark fruit, chocolate, oak, and a tease of alcohol. The aromas are quite subtle.

Taste: Milk chocolate, heaps of vanilla, malts, smooth oak, and a bourbon bite on the finish. The burst of vanilla, malts, and oak at the midpoint is delicious.

Mouth: Thick yet incredibly smooth body with moderate to light carbonation. There's a slight prickliness from the bourbon influence but it certainly doesn't diminish the overall body of the beer.

I love this stout. I know some people find it relatively underwhelming, but I find the balance of flavors and the smooth body thoroughly enjoyable.

06-04-2013 03:29:46 | More by HistoricalMan
HoppyHachey

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Real dark, even with light up to it you can't see through. Seems to have a sling hue of red coloring showing when up to light. It created a small head with little lacing.

B: It seems to have a roasted smell to it. Almost smells like some of the smoked beers I've had.

T: Mild yet flavorful taste. Has more of a roasted flavor. I like it.

MF: Smooth feel, tingles my taste buds. Drinks very easy.

Over I like this beer fairly well. I've definitely had better but for the price, I'd buy it again.

03-28-2011 23:25:06 | More by HoppyHachey
emeline

Rhode Island

Vintage 2011. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. (I know, it's not the way BA recommends, but after smelling it, I knew it needed more surface area than a pint.)

Smells like raisins and oak and bourbon. Definitely a sharp aroma, warning you about the weight of the beer.

Pours with a small, milk-chocolate head that subsides almost instantly. Dark like cola, but still slightly transparent in the light. Leaves a fluid, oil-like lacing on the surface throughout. Very little lacing on the glass.

Taste of raisins, molasses, oak, and, finally, bourbon. Subtle cherry and other dark fruit flavors come through as well. Tart, dry finish, perfect for a barrel aged beer. No carbonation on the tongue, just the tang of the barrel.

This is the third time I've had this beer, and there's a reason I keep coming back to it. It is complex, and it changes and develops as it warms and develops on the tongue. It goes well with many different foods, but could overwhelm lighter fare. My mom, who really hates beer, actually likes this one!

Overall, a very good barrel aged beer. Definitely worth a try.. or three...

01-25-2012 23:46:19 | More by emeline
ajzbedo73

Missouri

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a stout glass. Deep brown color with a light tan head. It smelled of cordial cherries, with a hint of bourbon. Nice malty flavor with chocolate undertones. It had a bit of a boozy finish. Velvety feel across my tongue. Overall a very enjoyable stout. Could sit and have more than one of these on a cold winter day.

01-23-2014 02:59:09 | More by ajzbedo73
Jeronimo

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Purchased 22oz bottle at B&B liquors in Grand Rapids, MI for $6.99. Poured at room temperature (65 F) into a pint glass. Having serious head control problems, I havn't even poured an ounce of beer in and my glass is full of foam that will not die. As I add more it continues to foam out of control. I have never seen anything like this. Now it looks like a icecream float. After waiting 5 minutes for it to stabilize a bit, I get my first sip.

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque, a dim glow makes it through the sides of the glass as I hold it up to the light. A tan fluffy head lingers for a long time after the beer is poured. Thick clumps of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. I have never seen head like this.

Smell: Very aromatic, tart, sweet, spicy, a hint of wood.

Taste: First flavor I notice is a bold tartness, sweet but not oversweet, beginning to taste the malt as it washes back, a trace of hops on the sides, balanced grape-skin bitterness, lingering tart-bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected for a 9% beer, going flat b/c of the foam I think.

Drinkability: Aside from the initial difficulties, not a bad beer, I would like to try one chilled and see if that fixes this. Maybe I have a bad bottle, Im gonna read other posts after this and see how they describe this. I expected something richer and less bubbly. Oh jeez this beer is a hazard, it just foamed all over the place as I refilled, or attempted to refill my glass. gotta wipe down the keyboard. I have a hard time imagining this is what the brewer intended. tasted alright though.

04-13-2006 20:19:00 | More by Jeronimo
burner

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

it's sunday afternoon. i am relaxing and watching nfl redzone ! just opend a 22 oz. bottle of dragons milk,ale aged in oak barrels.

A- the appearance is average. there is nothing special happening. the color is dark like cola. there was very little head. what was there disapated quickly with just a slight tan ring.

S- the aroma is slight, you really have to get in there. you will get notes of malt,vanilla and of course oak

T- the taste is what saves this beer. rich and sweet, not too sweet just a rich malty sweet. caramel and vanilla in the front. oak in the middle and alchohol finishes with oak rounding it out.

M- the mouthfeel is good. its not thick or syrupy. for the complexity of flavors it feel smooth. there is just the right amount of carbonation.

D- drinkability is average only for the reason that it is rich,and higher in alchohol. i really liked the flavors and easily drank the 22 0z. myself. that said i wanted something lighter to cleanse my palate. really enjoyed this ale and would recomend !

12-27-2009 19:08:02 | More by burner
Heferwiezer

4.53/5  rDev +15%

1/2 inch centimeter head. dense and creamy. dark mahogany color with ruby highlights.

bourbon and dark fruits on the nose.a little bit of sweet chocolate.

taste, initial hit of bourbon and chocolate. smooth after taste of oak, vanilla and alcohol.

super creamy mouth feel- like butta. not too thin not to sticky, carbonation is spot on.

03-08-2010 04:29:16 | More by Heferwiezer
Irish212

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

Had on tap at Al's of Hampden in a snifter glass.

A: Dark black with a small amount of head that settles with very light lacing.

S: Dark wood like smell, possible hint of cherry.

T: Strong biting wood/charchol taste, too much i think.

D: A decent drink, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-07-2010 02:19:31 | More by Irish212
toetag39

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured out a really dark brown. Looked more like a dark porter. I can smell the molasses and chocolate they used on the brew. The taste was milky and smooth with numerous malts but the taste of alcohol came on strong and it was too carbonated.

I wouldn't mind it of I never had one again. Nothing special.

Serving type: growler

12-06-2010 08:43:30 | More by toetag39
stompwampa

2.4/5  rDev -39.1%

My first impression of this beer was great. It had a unique smell...very full and some hints of vanilla.

The color was dark brown with a tan head that disipated quickly.

My first taste was like "Wow! This is a great beer!"

And then I had a few more sips and it became very hard to drink.

The flavor is so full and sweet that I had a hard time drinking another. It really does have a syrupy taste to it.

I picked up a 4-pack of bottles and I found myself choking down the last three. It's just too much. Too filling, too thick. Overall, it's hard to drink. The taste really isn't that horrible...it actually has a unique and rather pleasant flavor...but it doesn't sit well with me.

It's worth trying for sure. The first few sips were great.

01-04-2011 01:15:28 | More by stompwampa
bdkucharski

4.95/5  rDev +25.6%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley.

10-10-2011 02:46:52 | More by bdkucharski
carlitos92

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

Had heard comments about this beer all over the map; lots of both love and hate for it, so I was excited to get it as an extra in a trade and see for myself. "2013 Vintage," served cold in a snifter.

A: Dark brown, very much like a cola. Translucent at the edges, and not at all "thick." About 1/8 inch light khaki head which dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is on the weak side, but full of bourbon and caramel.

M: Mouthfeel here is not bad, just not very memorable. Not too sticky, not too gummy, but not very substantial, either. Unassuming. Would love to see more here. As it warms up, it's close to drinking a warm Dr. Pepper with some bourbon in it.

T: Here, they nailed it. Fantastic bourbon flavor without being boozy. There's some nice vanilla and cola undertones. Slight anise, and cream soda. Veers towards cloyingly sweet when it gets hot, but not over the top. Very strong bourbon finish - but again, more the essence than the whiskey heat. I would never think this was 10% ABV by the taste.

I wanted to hate this beer, but can't, because the flavor is so good. It's thin, and nearly on the wrong side of the tracks in Sweetville, USA - but damn, did they nail the idea of bourbon in a beer.

If they called this a bourbon barrel aged porter or something other than a stout, I suspect there would be a lot more love - and it would be well-deserved. Nice job, New Holland.

03-15-2014 02:05:35 | More by carlitos92
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company