Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,273 | Hads: 4,684
4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Wow. This stuff is good.

If someone asked me what it was like, I could say it was similar to a sweet stout with an extra kick. At such a high gravity, I would compare this with other stouts and not other ales. I followed this will an Arrogant Bastard, which is also an 'American Strong Ale'. This just shows you how limited and restricted we are by trying define a beer by style.

It produced a beautiful brown head and tasted great from the start. It poured a dark brown to black and the smell was of toasted malt, very sweet. The taste was smooth with no sort of bit that can come from dark malts.

I will be purchasing bottles to store. (646 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've given thought to trying this out for some time and finally picked up a bottle on the way home. It may be 90 degrees outside, but my basement is in the 60's. I am a little confused whether this is a stout or a strong ale. The bottle claims it's a stout and also claims an ABV of 10%. Well, at any rate... this poured out a little thinner than I expected. I was thinking something along the lines of motor oil, and this was far from that. The smell was very appealing, there was some nice coffee, vanilla, and dark fruit. The flavor was much the same with a bit of smoke and buttery mellowness from the oak. The mouthfeel left a little to be desired. I want a beer of this flavor profile to slither down my throat, this was a little lighter than I would prefer. All in all, a pretty solid effort. (799 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured cold into a snifter.
Comes a solid dark brown color with a thick tan head that leaves minimal lacing.
Smells similar to the taste: Roasted malt, lotts of chocolate and vanilla, some oak, and alcohol throughout.
Has a medium body that is pretty creamy.
Drinkable enough, but I would see aging this one in the cellar would help the alcohol from taking such a noticable presence. Decent brew. (396 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a bottle into my Founders snifter. Bottled was chilled to 35 degree F, just like I like my booze.

Pour: looks great. Nice, black, small tanish head that quickly fades into a small frothy crown then to nothingness.

Smell: much like I was anticipating. Bourbon, slight coffee and chocolate. Smells great! I really like the smell!

Taste: wow! Bourbon up front, getting some booziness (I like it), getting some vanilla, chocolate, and some coffee. Not a lot though. Mainly bourbon. It's good! I have to say a lot better than I was expecting.

Overall: I'd buy again. It's really good! Not quite the best bourbon barrel beer I've had, but by far the easiest to find and cheaper than the limited releases. If you can find this, buy it. It's a good bourbon barrel stout. Don't expect it to be a BCBS. It's a bit thinner, and a touch less refined, but a solid beer.

Cheers! (882 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark color almost that of a stout or porter with little or no head. Aroma is very mild in this one. You do get a hint of vanilla almost a malty vanilla really. First sip you get the light taste of carmal malt and vanilla in there. The after taste is really when the oak really comes through. This is a well balanced beer but I"ll have to be honest. When I see the color or read oak aged, I expected something more out of it. Don't let the taste foll you it is a a well balanced beer that can be enjoyed by many. (517 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured a very nice deep brown with a very light tan head that faded somewhat quickly. Lacing does linger down the side of the glass as I'm drinking this one.

Smells warm with some chocolate, toffee and caramel notes. Alcohol is also present very lightly in the nose.

The taste I am loving. Up front the alcohol hits very slightly followed immediately by a delicious vanilla flavor. Roasted malts and chocolate are also present but that sweet, sugary vanilla is the most prevalent of all the flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick with a slightly creamy feel overall. Definitely smooth going down.

Drinkability on this one is pretty high. 8.5% isn't too outrageous and nothing about this beer makes me think I wouldn't want to have another as soon as I'm finished with this one. (780 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers. (1,174 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature. This thing just looks ominous. It's a dark, dark amber color with just the lightest tint of red around the edges. You can smell the roast malt from across the room. Very "bourbony" smelling up close. Maybe it's the oak barrels. A bit too strong for my liking. This definitely has an interesting taste. There's a huge alcohol bite throughout. This is like sipping a tumbler of Jim Beam Rye. No doubt that this is a one and done for me. Overpowering, but good. I like stuff with a little less ABV, but I'm glad I tried this. (568 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -39.4%

I had been anticipating this one for a while, finally got to try some on tap. My local tappery called this one a "American Strong Ale"; I think American Stout - as classified here - is a closer category. Definitely not enough hop backbone to balance out the overbearing sweetness of this brew.

The color is fine - a dark, opaque, stout-ish brown.
By the aroma alone you can already tell this is going to be one sweet beer - literally, sweet. The taste is not bad and somewhat interesting on first sip; tons of malt, caramel, sticky sweetness - but as you may have gathered from my tone, this sticky sweetness quickly caught up with me and left me reaching for water, not enthused about finishing the glass.

I guess this could classify best as a "dessert beer", served in small quantities when you want overly-sweet, imbalanced beer, but otherwise, I'd avoid it. (863 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

A disappointment considering I am generally a fan of New Holland's brews. It poured rather flat and the taste was quite overwhemling. The strong oak flavor overwhelmed all of it supposed complexities. It was a beer that I had to fight with to drink. (249 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16%

A- Poured a pitch black body with a creamy, tan colored head that stayed around for a little while. Clear streaks run down the glass as I tilt it from side to side, most likely a result of the high ABV.

S- The presence of bourbon is strong in the aroma, along with chocolate, roasted malts, oak, and vanilla. I was surprised at the amount of bourbon in the aroma.

T- Almost identical to the aroma, the taste of bourbon and vanilla dominate the palate, with roasted malts and chocolate on the finish. The tiniest hint of booze is present in the aftertaste. Not too overpowering, just enough to let me know it's there.

M - Pretty standard for the style. Creamy and full, but nothing to write home about.

Not a bad stout, I'd definitely buy some more! (752 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bear inning this is my first bourbon barrel aged stout review.

Smell and taste were not as complex and interesting as hoping. Strong notes of vanilla, roasted malts, some chocolate, some coffe and distinct bourbon in the aroma.

Taste was mostly vanilla and bourbon. Good but not great. Very creamy. Coats your mouth. Picking up more chocolate as I progress.

Very good. Not great. Will adjust ratings as I venture into more bourbon ages stouts. Was hoping for a little more barrel character. (498 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A - Dark black with a very small head that disappears quickly. Actually looks like flat Coke now.

S - Ah, exactly what I expected. A great mix of vanilla, wood and bourbon.

T - Follows the smell. Vanilla and woody smoothness with the bourbon finishing things off to add a nice touch of warmth.

M - Creamy, almost like a light stout.

D - New Holland says this is their crown jewel and I have to say I agree. Even though it has the high level of warmth, I think I could drink this all night long. (499 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Beer pours dark brown to black with a decent amount of cream-colored head with good lacing and retention.

Smell gives away the oak right away with sweet toffee / vanilla behind it.

The taste is sweet with a lot of oak and vanilla. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky.

I drank this by a campfire straight from a cooler. It came out of the cooler at around 45F which I think was just about right.

This was a real treat! (419 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Had at the Brews, Blues, and BBQ festival in Westland, MI... in a plastic cup.

A - Black with a thick bubly cocoa-brown head

S - Malt and booze.

T - Sweet booze right off the top, a little caramel and roast with a vinous nature including the oak.

M - Thick almost like a milkshake.

O - I might be putting on the home-state rose colored glasses here, but I find this beer to be outstanding. I had this in a bottle in the middle of a wreckless 25 beer tasting and it still rose to the top of the list, even with a tired palate. I highly recommend trying it at least once to see if its up your alley. (602 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap in a 10 ounce glass.

Perfect two fingers of head and a lighter black brownish color.

This is a complex stout and the tasting notes keep changing throughout depending on temperature and glass breathability.

Upon first sip it almost tastes like coconut oil, or somehow this exact chemical compound is formed during the brewing process. I really thought I was drinking a super concentrated form of coconut water for a few seconds, until the aftertaste hits.

This stout is not too heavy, infact it's somewhat light and bubbly, just a smidge heavier than a dark carbonated porter.

This is a boozy tasting stout at 10% but well worth the burn.

The aftertaste is that of a perfectly aged bourbon whiskey. Reminded me a lot of Johhny Walker Green.

Overall an excellent offering from New Holland, although the name Dragons Milk is somewhat deceiving because this isn't really too sweet like a lower ABV% milk stout would taste, and Dragon Stout (the legendary stout from Jamaica) has already used this name for years. (1,033 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31%

Located a bottle at Sam's wines in Chicago.

At first appearance the look more like a stout. Murky black hue with a large light brown head that diminished quckly to about a 1/4".

The smell of furmented apples and berry was the first scent I noticed, along with molasses, caramel, wood and alcohol. A slight sour smell at the end.

The initial flavor was rather sweet and acidic. Finishing with a bit bitter ending. For the palate, the carbination was flat and the texure was syrupy, with a moderate alcohol feel in the finish.

I found Dragon's milk to be a bit to complicated, but still very interesting flavors some might enjoy. (640 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

a-very dark Mahogany, very little head that disapated quicklyand was a dark tan color

s-got chocolates and maltiness up from and was slightly fruity/woody

t-chocolate, malts and hops in deminishing amount in order, was sweet up front with a slight alcohol flavor to finish.

m-creamy thick very little drying in the mouth

o-complex but very drinkable, creamy film. This is a sipper that stands alone. Think of sips of about 1/2 oz, then wait a couple of minutes or more for another sip to appreciate this one as it develops more taste in your mouth after it is swallowed. Savory but still sweet, dangerously good, could make a session out of this one. WOW vintage 2010 with 10% ABV (685 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%

Taken from notes on May 13th.

a-poured into goblet with a very dark roasted coffee color. Almost no head at all with thick choppy lacing around the glass.

s-Smells of dark chocolate, warm vanilla, and roasted malts

t-it does not taste as good as it smells. very strong alcohol presence and vanilla and cocoa notes. The hot alcohol sweetness lets it beknown that it is there at all times.

m-moderate carbonation with a thin bodied feel to it. alcohol throughout the palete.

o-I think this fell a little short of expectations. I had high hopes for this beer and I'm left wanting something else. I will reach for the Poet next time. At least I really enjoy that beer. (669 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into tulip producing a very dark brown with thin head. Nice notes of coffee/cocoa, very light vanilla, woody nose. Taste followed suit though chocolate present initially and just the slightest smoke hints up front accent the nose. Overall mouthfeel is good, nice, smooth, easy to sip though there is a bit of alcohol taste which, at 9% ABV is understandable though this isn't something that's going to be part a very long session. Good beer though and happy i've got more in the cellar. (493 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: dark chocolate in a tall glass
S: chocolate with hints of cocoa
T- chocolate and cherries with cocoa and coffee hints, more robust flavor than your typical stout or porter
F- malty, bitter aftertaste
O- a local restaurant just got it on tap and I'll be having it again, went well with almond chicken salad. Not as good as Founders Breakfast Stout but still very drinkable. On a side note, I got home after drinking it and took a 2-hour nap, it damn near knocked me out. Double stouts tend to sap all of my energy. (519 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed on July 26nd, 2011

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thick and creamy. Black as oil with 1 finger’s worth of toffee colored head. Sticky and the head retention is long.

S: Vanilla with hints of oak. Was expecting a stronger oak presence in the aroma. Aroma of alcohol comes out fairly strong in the middle. Roasted chocolate malts.

T: Quite similar in taste as in the aroma. Nice vanilla tastes which leads to an mild alcohol burn. Oak seems to smooth out the taste some. Creamy finish.

M: Creamy medium body stout with little to no carbonation. Silky smooth on the tongue.

O: Great example of this style IMO. A must buy when it hits the shelf! (698 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass. About a fingers worth of copper foam which quickly dissipates.

A - Deep mahogony color. Copper head quickly dissipated and the brew leaves very little lacing

S - Hmm....a little more booze in the nose than I expected. Some oak mixed in but predominately smells of bourbon.

T -Taste is boozy right up front, with subtle hints of vanilla and perhaps a little chocolate.

M - Probably my favorite aspect of this one. Smooth and somewhat rich but not thick. More of a medium type feel. Satisfying

O - Not quite what I expected. Its pretty smooth, drinkable. Not overpowering for a 10.0%. I have mixed feelings about it but its a good one. Lingers on the tongue but not in a bad way. At $14 for a 4 pack....doubt I will go out of my way to do this one again though (805 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.5%

Quite dark, moderate head. Not much of an aroma, mostly of chocolate. Initially, very sharp bite of and licorice, alcohol and carbonation which persists. Some spiciness in the aftertaste.

Overall, a unique stout though I'm not blown away. I'd definitely suggest it be tried, but I can't see drinking a lot of it. Probably best shared on a cold night. (351 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a small snifter at Mother Murphy's Irish Bistro in Chicago.

Some notes of vanilla very present at the initial taste and at the finish. Malt flavors also present.

Alcohol slightly present, but not overpowering- not too much to influence the taste.

Dark and tasty-a great beer to end the evening. (307 characters)

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company