Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,278 | Hads: 4,729
4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Dark brown, almost black, small creamy tan head, inviting
S: Smells strong, boozy, like bourbon. Also chocolatey, nutty, and sweet.
T: Malty, strong alcoholic taste, sweet, chocolatey, hints of vanilla and nuttiness.
F: well carbonated, smooth, slightly heavy, burns as it goes down throat like bourbon.
O: a strong after tasted, could see it pairing well with ice cream. I liked this beer and thought it was very tasty. Would definitely recommend.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Was at HopCat in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago and came across this lovely beer. Bartender served it to me in a tulip glass from a cask.

a- Very dark brown to black in color with ruby highlights if you hold it up to the light. Tan head that goes away really fast with very little lacing in the glass.
s- The aroma of this beer is what really attracted me. Coffee, Chocolate, Oak and Alcohol. As the beer warmed up the oak and alcohol really sines through though.
t- What I tasted from the beer was a malty oakiness with alcohol. The beer was very hot and the alcohol is very much present in this one.
m- Light carbonation due to the fact that the cask had been tapped for a few days. The beer has a medium mouthfeel that kind of lingers around after its down the hatch.
d- I doubt I could really have more than one every few hours. This is a very good beer I just think the alcohol in it was a bit much and came through too much to drink more than one in one sitting.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to my good buddy Mauerhan for hooking me up with this beer!

A: A suprizingly dark ale. Very little head or lacing. But the head I can see is a golden tan.

S: Very present malt aromas as well as the smell of the barrell. Slight hint of the alcohol in there as well. But well hidden.

T: Awesome! Dark fruit with a bit of a woody backing to it.

M: Also very nice. Im not a fan of heavy carbonation so this beer is perfect to me.

D: I could have this beer often but I couldnt have more than 1 glass at a time.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark color with lacing.

S: Oak, bourbon, hints of vanilla.

T: Bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, roasted flavors.

M: A little carbonated, slightly burns.

Overall: Being a fan of barrel aged beers, I definitely enjoyed this one and recommend it to people who are able to sip on stronger, heavier beers.

Just be careful, because this got me hooked on whiskey.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2914 bottle

Pours out not REALLY dark but once in the glass it is dark as night with a small brown head with little re.ention and no lacing.

Smell is of chocolate, burnt malts, a tiny bit of booze that I probably would not have picked out without knowing it was there but it is present, there is a little bit of sweetness in the nose but I would say the nose is chocolate forward.

Taste is more chocolate, burnt malts, more nice booze than I got in the nose which is nice to me, there is still a little sweetness but nowhere near cloying or REALLY sweet. The sweetness is really far in the background. I guess if I had to complain about anything it would be after drinking more it is overly boozy which has less balance than I would like. I love boozy beers but this is a little more booze so the other flavors are in the background. I love bourbon and drink it clean but for this beer it's just a little too much without balance.

Mouth feel is medium to somewhat thick which is nice for the style. It's not BCBS with age on it but it is nice for the style.

Overall I like the beer but it would not be something I would likely buy again if there were other BA Stouts around at similar prices due to lack of complexity.

Edit: I think I'm going to cellar the rest of these bottles and see what a little time does. I can see this developing well or at least getting less hot so the other flavors are more part of the beer.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

Very odd aroma of alcohol and rich chocolate/molassas. Very low amount of carbonation, very smooth and clean taste. Taste begins as a rich chocolate coffe flavor and then followed up and palet cleansed with the rich creamy/milkiness. Over all for the price and the hype be hind this beer I was not really impressed. You can get a much more inexpensive and more consistant beer from several other companies.

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip

A - Jet-black with a finger of tan head (after a hard pour) which dissipates rapidly. Light lacing. What little light makes it through the glass yields a deep ruby hue.

S - Big aromas of rum-soaked wood and dark fruit hit you immediately followed by a touch of roastiness after some searching. Definitely not as much chocolaty and/or coffee and roasty aroma as would be expected from the style. Alcohol is very apparent as well.

T - To be fair, this was a 2011 vintage bottle, but it needs some age. As is, though, the flavor is relatively unimpressive. Harsh, hot alcohol burns from beginning to end, with plums and prunes in the middle. This fades to a bit of roasted malt and finishes with lingering sweet vanilla notes from the oak barrels. I have had other 10% ABV imperial stouts that are much more drinkable than this one. Overall, the flavor profile is just unbalanced.

M - There is plenty of carbonation with this guy as well as a medium mouthfeel. It is a little too carbonated for the style.

O - The appearance and smell of this stout are pretty nice, but the flavor profile is unbalanced. I really think some age would calm this one down by cutting the abrasiveness of the alcohol, toning down the dark fruits, and bringing forward more traditional roasted flavors of an imperial stout. This was sent to store shelves too soon.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Ehhh. I am disappointed. 1 bottle costed $6, had an epic name/label....and it looked fantastic when I poured it. Beautiful persistent off white head and just about pitch black color. The smell was very mild. What I did smell was mostly bourbon/whiskey. A bit of roasted malt. Taste was a huge let down. Tastes like cough syrup. I don't taste coffee, or chocolate, a bit of bourbon, mostly an artificially flavored dark fruit cough syrup. That was the mouth feel too, like a cough syrup. Disappointed. Won't buy again.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this on-tap at a local bar. Was in the mood for a dark beer and this is what I got:

A - Pours a very dark brown/black. Nearly opaque. Thin tan lacing that quickly dissipates. Looks sharp.

S - Vanilla. The alcohol smell is strong and ever apparent.

T - You can taste the alcohol. Some vanilla and oak, similar to how it smells, but NOT exactly the same.

M - Some carbonation, not much to speak of. Pretty thick.

I LOVED this beer. One of my favorite stouts of ALL-TIME. I would certainly order this one again. Definitely a sipper and not a beer that you should just gulp down. Unfortunately, I made that mistake.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured into a snifter; it appears about the colour and consistency of cola. No head, minimal lacing and some carbonation.

S: Actually, the first thing that hits you is the alcohol. This is followed by the oak, and then finishes off with vanilla. A second sniffing switched the wood and bean, however. But the alcohol was more prominent than I was expected- even with an AVB as high as this one's.

T: Actually, the alcohol wasn't as prominent as I was expecting. But I'm tasting loads of vanilla and timbers of oak. However, I thought the balance between the two was pretty good.

M: Thick and chewy- excellent beverage.

D: Definitely a sipping beer, here, folks.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with light brown foam. Aromas of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. Tastes of bourbon, oak, caramel and vanilla. Creamy feel with moderate carbonation on the tongue. I wish there was a little less carbonation and more viscosity. Overall fantastic BA stout that I can find in stores daily. Really underrated considering its availability in my opinion.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very good stout. A little too strong but as dessert perfect. Smell and taste are beautiful together! You can clearly smell that this stout is brewed in a bourbon barrel as the smell clearly provides some strong bourbon flavor which is great. This beer is definitely brewed to enjoy slowly. I agree with some people who can taste some chocolate taste (ties back into dessert).

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Found this in my friend's local store, (Englewood NJ) hadn't seen anything by this Brewery before so I went for it.
Bomber poured into regular glass
Dark black with thin sticky head
Smell is big on the oaky side with vanilla caramel syrup
taste was to be expected, heavy warming alcohol, whiskey, oak, caramel vanilla, sweet malt
Oak flavor might be a bit much but I'm enjoying this, really warms the throat, great for a cold night like tonight.
High abv doesn't make this session worthy but I would get this again.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Received in BIF from Alan, thanks man. Consumed on 4/29/09.

Poured into pint glass. Pours a nice looking-opaque black, with a finger or so of off-white head that eventually dissipates. Smells nice, with oak, chocolate and malt scents. Taste is pretty good, with sweet malt and oak hitting the front end, and a little chocolate and roast coffee hitting the backend; the aftertaste is a little boozy and roasty. Nice carbonation and thickness, enjoyable. Couldn't see myself having too many of these in a night, and took a long time to finish sipping the ~16 oz. I had.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours quite dark. Looks very much like a good porter or stout with a glance at that dark color & head. The smell likewise gives that impression. Chocolate-dark caramel-vanilla-toast. The taste echoes, although I would strongly suggest giving things a moment to warm slightly and open up. My initial impression with the beer somewhat cold was that this beer was thin & bland. The bourbon-oak is hidden for the most part, giving a background flavor at most. But for my taste, that's fine ... I don't like some of these bourbon/oak-aged things that are more akin to drinking a mixed bourbon-beer boilermaker. Overall, I was quite fond of the beer. I thought it'd make a pleasant "sipper", not too heavy & alcohol disguised well, that is, if it weren't for the high price/bottle.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a nice head with a dark dark hint of amber color. Looks black.

Nice head. Smells roasted malt with smokey burbon, slight alcohol, and oak.

Taste does not disappoint. Big malt with vanilla, oak and burbon. Some honey and dark caramel. Alcohol provides a bit of heat but its nice and not overpowering. Hops are present, just enough to balance the sweet malts.

Its a unique brew. I love where they went with this one. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a bottle in late May on a warm sunny afternoon. Appearance is very dark - almost like a cola with a slight but creamy tan head. This is a beer with a 10% alcohol content and you taste it but that's not a negative. Very smooth, velvety mouthfeel. Hints of the bourbon barrel aging are very noticeable but not overpowering. Hints of roasted caramel and some vanilla as well. A very strong flavored beer as you would expect from an Imperial Stout. Not an easy drinking beer because the favors are so powerful but very good. I'll probably enjoy it more in tHe winter but it's definitely on the list to buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Malty notes, and molasses on the nose. Served in a brandy sniffer, first sip brings out the oak bourbon on the palate,
Black in color, not much head. I enjoy American strong ales as much as the next guy, so I'll be adding this to my list of very drinkable beers. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours an oil-black with some dark ruby around the bottom and edges of the glass. Busy-looking tan/vanilla head that dissipates to nearly nothing with little in the way of lacing.

Smells of rich roasted malts, slight alcohol bite, and wonderful dark chocolate. I could sit and smell this for 45 minutes before actually drinking it.

Wow. Tastes like a beautiful rush of complex, sweet malts, rich vanilla mousse, decadent roasted toffee and raisin. A tad of alcohol which never gets in the way. Additional notes of dry sherry and maple syrup linger in the aftertaste. All of these flavors are balanced and are never overpowering. The mouthfeel turns from slightly loose to creamy and spongy, like biting into a piece of bread pudding.

One of these would be fine. I can't imagine going much farther than two or three of these, as it will destroy your palate for both other beers and food. Additionally, the 9% alcohol by volume will leave you reeling after a couple.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

Well known and loved on the left side of Michigan I picked up a 22 oz brown bomber for a stout 7.99. Pours black as a pimp's heart with thick, tan head which retains well with lots of sticky lacing. Seriously, if you hold a pint glass up to a light, you still can't see through it.
The smell and taste are dominated by the oak of the aging barrels, with vanilla and alcohol in the finish. Rather a lot of alcohol, actually. It doesn't all balance, somehow, but it still works ok. Basically this stuff is the port wine of beers. You're not gonna swill a lot of it at a time without paying for it the next day, but when it's what your in the mood for, it's exactly right. If you want to pair it with food, it would be big, bold flavorful stuff like maybe a steak with blue cheese crumbles.
Overall quite good but not exceptional. Except for the times when it's exactly what you want.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

appearance: pours an extremely deep brown with a small amount of head and light lacing

smell: vanilla and caramel

taste: the oak adds an immediate vanilla bite. finishes with a sweet maltiness and a small amount of alcohol warmth.

mouthfeel: medium body and small carbonation

drinkability: this is a pretty decent brew. i know by the time i get finished with the bomber i will be tired of this brew.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Vintage 2011.

Poured into a pint glass a very dark brown with about a half finger of cream colored head that faded fast. Settles into the glass looking remarkably like cola.

Good amount of bourbon in the nose, a big whiff of it actually burns my nostrils a little. Heavy malt presence as well, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and heavy cream present but faint. Reminiscent of a barley wine.

Big malty sweetness in the taste, more so than anything else, a little bit of coffee bitterness. Get more of the taste after swallowing, can really feel the bourbon on the back of my throat, slightly hot but pleasant. I pick up chocolate at the end, in the form of a baked good, almost like a chocolate cake. Vanilla is present here too, as well as a bit of cream and burnt sugar. As it warms I get just a touch of funk, kind of strange for this style but not really unwelcome in my opinion. Makes for a very complex beer.

Pretty heavy in the mouth, well carbonated, thick and a touch syrupy, coats the mouth and lingers after each sip. Not a bad thing as I feel like this allows for more flavors to come through.

Goes down pretty easy but I feel I must take it slow given the ABV. Good job with the alcohol taste though, I definitely pick it up, but it's not a real big kick. Pretty well balanced overall actually.

3.17/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a dark black with a half finger off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Roasted malts dominate the nose, with a little coffee and vanilla rounding it out. A little raison, or prune. Some kind of fruit like that.

T: Oak. Oak oak oak. I don't get much more than that. A lot of vanilla on the back end. Some soy sauce on the back. Not liking that much.

M: Relatively silky. Heavy body. Smooth. Not overly difficult to drink.

O: It's ok, for being what it is. Not sure I would pick it up again. I can't quite get past that soy sauce taste.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours thick with a small head. Medium plus expressiveness on the nose, showing chocolate milk, coffee, and subtle vanilla hints. Big, thick, and creamy in the mouth - carbonated chocolate milk with a little bourbon kick. Definitely a niche beer, very focused flavors, but very delicious - I like it.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz bottle poured into Weyerbacher tulip glass. Bottle reads "Vintage 2011" Thanks to DaveHack for the bottle.

A: Deep reddish brown with a half finger of khaki colored head that vanishes to a thin filmy cap that lingers on the roof of the beer.

S: Bourbon greets the nose followed by bakers chocolate & a hint of chocolate. A nice, roasted malt aroma rounds out the nose.

T: Follows the nose, tastes of the barrel alot. Over powers the base beer. Akin to drinking a whiskey. Slight roasted malt flavor, but definitely strong barrel flavor.

M: A little watery for something that has so much essence of the barrel. A little tingle from the carbonation greets the tongue. Ends dry with a bit of an alcohol burn.

O: Great hints of barrel, but lacking in some area. Great aroma. Drinks a little hot. I wonder how this will be drinking in a year or two.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company