Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,272 | Hads: 4,679
2.3/5  rDev -41.5%

A - good dark color for a stout, a little disappointed by the lack of head, around a quarter inch.

S - good, strong smell with a hint of a possible coffee flavor.

T - the initial taste was good, but the immediate aftertaste was pure alcohol. I felt like I had just done a shot instead of drinking a beer

M - I swished a mouthful around to get different tastes, and it gave me a slightly numb feel due to the high alcohol content.

O - a very potent brew, high ABV with a strong alcohol taste. I was disappointed by this one, and I am a fan of stouts. I sampled it next to Guinness and Left Handed Milk Stout, and preferred both of those. I think if this beer were 2-3% lower ABV, it would compare much more favorably, because it did have a good initial flavor. (765 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A -1 inch head, few lace lines,

N - vanilla/coffee and alcohol

M - thick and creamy. A bit sticky

T - vanilla/oak and black coffee start it off followed by some bitterness and finishes with the alcohol

O - nice stout. Would have liked the alcohol to have a bit more masked but would definitely buy again (309 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Apperance- Poured a deep dark mahogony into a pint glass with good lacing and nice 1.5 inch esprosso like head. light can barely pass thru this monster.

Smell- Roasty Coffe, Vanilla, Bourbon, booze.

Taste- Starts off with a typical roasty coffee stout tastes which quickly gets attacked by some vanilla and strong bourbon flavor. I'm not a bourbon fan at all but it is a nice sidekick to the vanilla and roasty character of this beer.

Mouthfeel- Nice creamy mouthfeel on this one which I think is perfect for the style

Overall- Its my birthday today and a friend of mine picked this up for me at 8 Degree Plato Beer company Ferndale, Michigan. This is actually the first oak aged Stout i've had and I really enjoyed it. If your the kind of person that enjoys craft beer and enjoys bourbon/whiskey on the rocks this beer will turn you into a raging alchoholic if your already not there. CHEERS. (898 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Highly overrated, I feel like the alcohol taste is not covered up at all, that's the taste that really stands out on this one, overpriced as well, not an imperial stout fan, but I've paid a lot less Jackie O's dark apparition, which was outstanding. (249 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

I was really suprised by this beer. Actually, I was more suprised to find the bar carried it.
Appearance: It poured very dark and thick with a small head to start. The color reminded me of a very dark plum.

Smell: Right away I could tell this would be no ordinary drink. Hints of liquor and roasted cocoa hit me first followed by a swaggering vanilla.

Taste: The first taste resembled that of a scotch and vanilla rum. Quickly it gave way to hints of chocolate and coffee. Wrapping up with a hint of fruit and vanilla. Leaving a dry aftertaste, that begged you for more.

Mouthfeel: Although a very great tasting beer, not a beer that I could drink all night long. Was a wonderful mix of flavors!

Drinkability: A great beer, one that I would drink in limited quanities. Serving up at around 9% and my bottle came in at 1 pint and 6 ounces. I great beer to hit at a fine pub. (887 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%

STRONG whiskey flavors, somewhat unbalanced. It seems to me that they loaded the beer with whiskey just to get to an 11% ABV. This is a sipping beer for me. Does not go well with a meal in my opinion. (200 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Bought this in bomber format. Bottle has changed as now it is a screened printed bottle with a dragon and a large barrell behind it. Bottle states 9% ABV and 19 degrees plato.

A - Dark brown with reddish hues. Light could pass through it, but only when held to light, this is when the red hues were evident. Head was very prononced and required about 10 seconds for seperatiion after a good hefty pour. Head color was tannish and stayed for about 3/4 of the beer, dissapated but left a good lacing and a light skimming of head when swirled.

S - Oak, Chocolate, Oak, Vanilla, Malt. All very well balanced. The Oak was the most prominent aroma, followed by the vanilla.

T - Oak and chocolate malt with a hint of actual cocca. Don't think hershey's candy bar, think hershey's unsweetened cocca. The alcohol was warming but not really that "slap you in the face" at 9%.

M - Heavy, but not thick, kind of like a Guiness. Warming and pleasant. Allowing it to sit in your mouth gives a warm, buzzing feeling and plays many tricks on your tounge with the complex flavors present.

D - I would buy this again, I would like it better if it came in a 12oz bottle as 22oz is a lot to drink by yourself. I was sharing with friends, getting them exposed, so I didn't have to drink it all. (1,279 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured and tasted a 22 oz. bottle, Vintage 2010 into a Deschutes snifter. 6/3/2011.

A: Pours a deep brown/black. Not nearly as black when looking down while drinking. Moderate head formation with a dirty gold/white gradient from bottom to top, head retention is minimal and de minimis lacing exists as it is consumed.

S: Mostly scents of milk chocolate and vanilla, very faint scent of wooden/oaken attributes, surprising amount of alcohol at the tail-end of each smell. The smell of alcohol was also much more prevalent in the remaining ounces of the snifter as well as the beer warms, relative to a full initial pour. Kind of disappointed.

T: By and large lightly roasted malt, chocolate, and vanilla are the dominant drivers according to my taste buds. Notes of caramel and oak once the beer warmed up and after the first fews sips. Almost no hop bitterness to this one. Surprising amount of alcohol in this one, though I figure that might mellow out a bit with some additional time on it.

M: I've never had dragon's milk in real life (well, maybe in a RPG...or wait, I think that was dragon's blood) but if such a thing existed this beer's mouthfeel would probably nail it. Medium-heavy, creamy mouthfeel initially which fades as the sip goes down. Starts out like a milkshake with too little ice cream mixed in. Perhaps some day I will slay a black dragon and will be able to do a side-by-side comparison. Until then I'll have to make arbitrary assumptions about what real dragon's milk feels like. Oh well! I digress...

O: This is decent stout overall. I did not get much out of from the oak-barrel aging but that could be due the lack of extended aging to develop more of those characteristics. For its style it's hard to find anything remarkable about it. The chocolate and vanilla that I gather from it make it sweeter than most other 9-11% barrel aged stouts I've had. I vaguely remember having this on-tap a few years back but I don't recall many of the attributes then as I was still (and still am) in the infancy of my beer tasting lifetime. I do not recall the exact price I paid for this 22 oz. but I believe it was somewhere in the range of $6.50-8.00. (2,173 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Deep, dark, and heavy define this beer. Not for the faint of heart. This will make you never want to drink a guiness again because it takes mouthfeel to a whole new level. A wonderful vanilla undertone coats your palate and faint notes of whiskey can be caught as well. (269 characters)

A: Dark brown w slight tan head and clingy lacing
S: Subtle; malty, woody, distant vanilla on first slow inhale. Deeper inhales pull out the vanilla and a little more heady woody-ness. No hint of the 11% ABV to follow.
S- midway: the vanilla profile opens up along with some bourbon (slight), and some smokiness as well.
T- Vanilla,malt,and subtle chocolate up front with a slight, but noticeable trail of bourbon underneath. Simple, yet mingles well. The alcohol profile is still well hidden.
M- Moderate malty fullness, slight trailing fizz; lingers Welty. Mouth smacking.
O- Seen this in the aisles for so long and finally just grabbed one for the eve. This is a nice warmer for the winter months. Not too heavy. Even though vanilla was noticeable, it mingled and balanced well with the rest of the profile. This was a pleasant intro to the style. I will pick up another to store for another cold day after I try a few more of the style. (940 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours thick with a small head. Medium plus expressiveness on the nose, showing chocolate milk, coffee, and subtle vanilla hints. Big, thick, and creamy in the mouth - carbonated chocolate milk with a little bourbon kick. Definitely a niche beer, very focused flavors, but very delicious - I like it. (302 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but, I did get a LOT of flavor! Poured into a Sam Adams glass from a bomber, I got a lot of Jack Daniels in the nose. Taste was pretty much the same. I was hoping for oak, but, got more whiskey than expected. I didn't sense much vanilla. If you're in the mood for whiskey with a beer chaser, just go for this! It's nice to sip anytime of the year. (392 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

This American Stout pours with a dark brown opaque body and a light brown, moderate sized head. I was pleasantly surprised at the orange and slight floral smell, which is unusual to stouts. There is still an underlying smell of chocolate and coffee that is more common. The mouth feel is awesome with a fine fizziness that lasts and obscures the high alcohol content. The taste reminds me of chocolate and bourbon, with mild coffee and hops undertones.

This American Stout is fairly complex yet tastes good with a variety of foods but, also stands very well on its own. This is another great beer from a Michigan brewery! (622 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

After skipping out on work early, a co-worker and I decided to swing in to the NHB world headquarters (Holland, MI) and have a brew. Having never tried the Dragon's Milk, I decided it was time...and I'm glad I did. At 10% ABV, I expected the alcohol to be over-powering and make the beer tingy. Not the case at all! It was very smooth for a stout and the oak aging came out in full vibrance. The only way I would have guessed that it was 10% was the fact that I could feel a slight buzz from 1 beer. I would highly recommend that you don't miss this one if you are doing a West Michigan craft beer tour! (603 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Deep dark black with a thin (less than 1/2 inch) tan creamy head.

S: My first impression was a dark chocolate with hints of dried apricot, and dark roasted malts, following by a good kick of alcohol. As the beer warmed I got more fruits and more alcohol and a little bit of coffee

T: The taste had many different notes to it as it warmed. My first couple of sips, in my opinion were taken when the beer was a bit too cold, had an iced dark coffee with hints of banana and strong alcohol finish. As it warmed, I picked up more dark chocolate and apple, with a very pronounced apple aftertaste.

M: Smooth with a good level of carbonation. A little sip went a long way in coating your mouth with the full flavor of this brew.

O: Overall, I would definitely recommend this to friends. If you take the time to let it warm to the proper temperature and taste it a little bit along the way, you will get to experience many different notes in just one glass. (957 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours black with a thin, quickly disappearing, tan head. Opaque, but not motor oil thick like I was expecting.
S: Can definitely smell oak and vanilla. Some chocolate as well. All malt.
T: Sweetness hits up front along with a roasted coffee undertone. The vanilla not also makes an appearance. Alcohol pops up on the end giving it a somewhat sour finish.
M: Full, but not chewy. Carbonation seemed a bit low. Despite the alcohol in the taste, it doesn't really burn. It definitely warmed me up.
O: All the pieces are there but they don't quite come together like I'd hoped. The ABV isn't hidden as well as in others I've had. Not bad by any stretch. Great way to warm up on a cold day. (689 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with light brown foam. Aromas of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. Tastes of bourbon, oak, caramel and vanilla. Creamy feel with moderate carbonation on the tongue. I wish there was a little less carbonation and more viscosity. Overall fantastic BA stout that I can find in stores daily. Really underrated considering its availability in my opinion. (360 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at UFS, $5.99 for a 22oz dark brown bottle with a pry off cap. No bottled date or freshness date that I could find. 9%ABV.

I poured it into my large 23oz beer glass and did not produce much of a head at all. The head was a light tan color that did not leave much lacing behind. When held up to the light it appeared a very dark brown almost a motor oil color with slight reddish highlights around the edges. You could see the very tiny bubbles struggling to the top like most high gravity beers.

I like the smell! You could smell oak barrel ageing with some smoke and raison. I could not smell any hops or floral aromas.

Now when I tasted this first thing I noticed was liquorish and anise and a small amount of carbonation on my tongue. It was surprisingly sweet with creamy liquorish texture. Very little hop taste. After the third or fourth sip some slight bourbon like flavors were present and a very notable warming affect.

I could not finish the whole glass because after it warmed up it was to sweet or rich and I had enough. I felt very hot and was ready to open a window. Would be great to share or needs to be in smaller bottles.

I really liked this ale but it was too much for me at one sitting without a meal.

Cheers (1,251 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep ruby, burned carmel, aged bourdon

S - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and oak. Man alive this smelled good.

T - bourbon with oak and malt. Is that a bad thing?

M - not as heavy as I expected, but rather perfect for the intensity of the flavor.

D - couldn't have more than a few but I'd like to try! (307 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served ou tof a 12oz bottle.

A- Not as dark as a stout, deep mahogany color. Slight head retention.

S- Carmel raisin with big time alcohol/bourbon, some oakiness, slight cardboard, some vanilla

T- Balanced, heavy on bourbon in the beginning, slight vanilla in the end, minimal oak flavor. There is a nice smootheness to it.

M- Medium body, light carbonation, has a slickness in the beginning and then a nice dryness in the finish.

D- It depends if you like bourbon or not, nice balance. It is a smooth beer, the warmer it gets the more aromas and flavors come out. (569 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Is a great value, people will confuse this with the oak barrel. Is a great beer. Not that expensive. Nice to the taste, great foam texture. Easy to drink. I would buy it again for real. I comes as a bomber. I was surprised I couldn't find this beer here. (254 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured 12 oz. bottle into snifter.

A: Dark--very dark. It looks like I'm drinking a Coke (ok, a porter might be a more fitting comparison) out of a snifter. Beige head, about one-and-a-half fingers. Very little lacing.

S: Licorice, toffee, and caramel. Maybe even some raisins. An interesting and satisfying smell to this one.

T: I'm getting toasted malts, cream, dark chocolate, and alcohol. I'm a fan.

M: Good body; after each sip, the creaminess of this ale hangs out on the roof of my mouth for a bit, which I like. Pretty chewy, too.

D: I could definitely sip on a couple of these, which is more than I would first assume for a dark strong ale of 9%.

Very glad I tried this one after hearing rave reviews about it for so long. (737 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours very dark, possible red coming through when held up to very bright light. Sort of a light body, with alot of carbonation and alcohol coming through. Mild head light brown to white color. Not much on the oak flavor, age would probably help round out the flavor of this brew for me at least. (295 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%

I poured this 2010 vintage from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter. I can smell it right off the bat, without even putting my nose in it. Its dark, but not opaque - not as dark as most stouts that I have had. Little head, basically none except for a ring around the edge of the glass. There is also minimal lacing. The smells are of the roasty, caramelly, vanilla variety - with a healthy does of booziness.

This hits me in the front of the mouth first with a tingling sensation. The taste follows the nose, it is sweet and malty, but also a touch bitter in the finish, along with plenty of booze. As it warms up, the oaken flavors and smells begin to reveal themselves. This is a sipper for sure, but it's real good. (713 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%

Heard a lot about this beer so I thought I would give it a go. Overall this beer has a great good oaky aroma. I poured into a goblet to enjoy. A dark pour with nice lacing. First sip was very warm. A nice flavor but the alcohol is the overwhelming characteristic. If you do not mind a truly warming beer this might be for you. I would drink it again but only on a cold night. (375 characters)

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company