Dragon's Milk - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon's Milk Alström Bros

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into my large tulip glass. Black but only at the center. The edges get more transparent. Two fingers of light tan creamy head top this brew nicely. Lace looks like it could be sewn onto a silk nighty.

Smell...Ether. The sweet roasted malt bill comes out next, followed by chocolate and coffee...or coffee and chocolate. There really isn't any barrel coming through. Maybe a hint of vanilla, but no wood at all.

Taste is sweet roasted caramel malts. It tastes almost like a Baltic porter. Chocolate, coffee, and some tartness. I want to say there is a "red" sweetness. Very tasty beer, but not a good example of a "barrel aged" stout.

Overall very very good beer. I am really enjoying it. I guess I am just disappointed by the fact that the label says, in big letters, Barrel Aged Ale. I didn't even know it was a stout until I came to this page. But other than that, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I think this is the best freebie from my buddy McNuts. Thanks Keith! Cheers!!

EDIT: The bottle I reviewed was marked Vintage 2010. I am enjoying a 2011 bottle right now (08/18/11) that is very different from the last. I can't smell any of the alcohol like the first. The taste is much more barrel. Quite a nice difference. I am only going to change the overall score from a 4 to a 4.5 on this. This is something you should ask your Midwest trading partners to add. Note: The 2010 was a 22oz. bomber and this one is a 12oz. bottle. A little easier to get as an extra. Thanks to davesway10 for this one.

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A = Very dense, mahogany liquid when viewed without light behind it, but showing dark ruby colors at edges when held up. Has a very small light tan head that recedes very quickly leaving light tracery on the surface.

S & T = Scents of vanilla, cocoa powder, sweet treacle. Most of the smells also show up in the taste but there is also a plastic taste and a certain thinness up front, by mid-palate though there are good tastes of cream moderated by slight bitterness of oak, vanilla and cafe latte without any sugar added.

M = Medium to medium-heavy body, very good mouthcoating, creamy full soft feel.

D = I do like this beer, but somehow it just doesn't draw me to each sip like I would prefer. I find after half a bottle I've really had enough. Good, but not good enough.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this on tap a number of times at Jacs (Madison). And while my wife loves it, I've always felt overwhelmed by its bourbon-barrel booziness. But somehow now that I'm having it from a 12 oz. bottle, I find it enchanting. Seems counter-intuitive that the alcohol would be better hidden coming from a bottle than from a tap. But the vanilla roundness and lactose sweetness play front and center, and I now love it.

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

Pretty average at best here. Hoped for much more. Thin look, no quality base beer stands out, overpowered by the barrel character. Not bad, but just expected more having tried the chili version... which is much better

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a red/brown, lots of ruby colored light comes through, not just around the edges, and no head.

S - big smell, booze, vanilla, raisins, and woody notes.

T - Booze, wood, chocolate, warm vanilla. surprisingly little going on here.

M - astringent, dry, and surprisingly thin.

D - I simply don't like this very much. I wouldn't drink more. But it's not bad to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%