New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout)

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

TheBrokenRec, Nov 24, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Very good, didn't blow me away though.

BlairB, Aug 31, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

browntrout, Aug 14, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Having this on tap as I type.
This little guy is spot on with the ratings. almost opaque in color with very little head and light lacing. Smell is woody with boozy plum and raisins. Taste is spiced turkish coffee wifh a slick start. The more it warms, the more the bourbon comes through. The mouthfeel isn't chewy as one might think, but a little easier on the back of the throat. The taste overall though, is of spiked coffee with an aftertaste of straight soy sauce! If you can get past that, this is a very good sipping beer.

Keepmywitbieraboutme, Aug 03, 2013

David_Maloley, Jun 29, 2014
3.36/5  rDev -15.6%

Nick_tennant4700, Aug 22, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Purchased 22oz bottle at B&B liquors in Grand Rapids, MI for $6.99. Poured at room temperature (65 F) into a pint glass. Having serious head control problems, I havn't even poured an ounce of beer in and my glass is full of foam that will not die. As I add more it continues to foam out of control. I have never seen anything like this. Now it looks like a icecream float. After waiting 5 minutes for it to stabilize a bit, I get my first sip.

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque, a dim glow makes it through the sides of the glass as I hold it up to the light. A tan fluffy head lingers for a long time after the beer is poured. Thick clumps of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. I have never seen head like this.

Smell: Very aromatic, tart, sweet, spicy, a hint of wood.

Taste: First flavor I notice is a bold tartness, sweet but not oversweet, beginning to taste the malt as it washes back, a trace of hops on the sides, balanced grape-skin bitterness, lingering tart-bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected for a 9% beer, going flat b/c of the foam I think.

Drinkability: Aside from the initial difficulties, not a bad beer, I would like to try one chilled and see if that fixes this. Maybe I have a bad bottle, Im gonna read other posts after this and see how they describe this. I expected something richer and less bubbly. Oh jeez this beer is a hazard, it just foamed all over the place as I refilled, or attempted to refill my glass. gotta wipe down the keyboard. I have a hard time imagining this is what the brewer intended. tasted alright though.

Jeronimo, Apr 13, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

it's sunday afternoon. i am relaxing and watching nfl redzone ! just opend a 22 oz. bottle of dragons milk,ale aged in oak barrels.

A- the appearance is average. there is nothing special happening. the color is dark like cola. there was very little head. what was there disapated quickly with just a slight tan ring.

S- the aroma is slight, you really have to get in there. you will get notes of malt,vanilla and of course oak

T- the taste is what saves this beer. rich and sweet, not too sweet just a rich malty sweet. caramel and vanilla in the front. oak in the middle and alchohol finishes with oak rounding it out.

M- the mouthfeel is good. its not thick or syrupy. for the complexity of flavors it feel smooth. there is just the right amount of carbonation.

D- drinkability is average only for the reason that it is rich,and higher in alchohol. i really liked the flavors and easily drank the 22 0z. myself. that said i wanted something lighter to cleanse my palate. really enjoyed this ale and would recomend !

burner, Dec 27, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -25.9%

Had on tap at Al's of Hampden in a snifter glass.

A: Dark black with a small amount of head that settles with very light lacing.

S: Dark wood like smell, possible hint of cherry.

T: Strong biting wood/charchol taste, too much i think.

D: A decent drink, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Irish212, Apr 07, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

1/2 inch centimeter head. dense and creamy. dark mahogany color with ruby highlights.

bourbon and dark fruits on the nose.a little bit of sweet chocolate.

taste, initial hit of bourbon and chocolate. smooth after taste of oak, vanilla and alcohol.

super creamy mouth feel- like butta. not too thin not to sticky, carbonation is spot on.

Heferwiezer, Mar 08, 2010
3.96/5  rDev -0.5%

appearance = Very dark. Just a little dark foam

smell = Smells like bourbon.

taste = Vanilla. Bourbon. Roasted malts.

mouthfeel = Creamy. Very thick.

overall = Liked it a lot but the alcohol content is a little high. One is enough. Not a daytime beer.

bkc8182, Feb 07, 2013

tlrieman76, Nov 30, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured out a really dark brown. Looked more like a dark porter. I can smell the molasses and chocolate they used on the brew. The taste was milky and smooth with numerous malts but the taste of alcohol came on strong and it was too carbonated.

I wouldn't mind it of I never had one again. Nothing special.

toetag39, Dec 06, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -39.7%

My first impression of this beer was great. It had a unique smell...very full and some hints of vanilla.

The color was dark brown with a tan head that disipated quickly.

My first taste was like "Wow! This is a great beer!"

And then I had a few more sips and it became very hard to drink.

The flavor is so full and sweet that I had a hard time drinking another. It really does have a syrupy taste to it.

I picked up a 4-pack of bottles and I found myself choking down the last three. It's just too much. Too filling, too thick. Overall, it's hard to drink. The taste really isn't that horrible...it actually has a unique and rather pleasant flavor...but it doesn't sit well with me.

It's worth trying for sure. The first few sips were great.

stompwampa, Jan 04, 2011

pmeice86, Jul 31, 2012

KDTW, Dec 27, 2011

Stubby, Sep 05, 2012

BeerKMC, Jul 17, 2012
New Holland Dragon's Milk (Bourbon Barrel Stout) from New Holland Brewing Company