Microbrew Invitational

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,335 | Ratings: 5,063
4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

L (4) – This beer is DARK.

S (4.25) – You get a little bit of the bourbon smell. Not a lot, but you can tell it’s there.

T (4.25) – This beer is solid. It has the bourbon taste, but not too much. I’ve never had any of their other stuff, so I don’t know how to compare. It is not quite BCBS, but an acceptable alternative.

F (4) – It isn’t as thick as BCBS, but it is pleasantly think. About the right level of carb, and not a whole lot of alcohol burn. It’s nice.

O (4) – Overall I was wanting to see how it compared to BCBS. It’s not quite there, but if you couldn’t find BCBS and had this, you’d be happy. I had this at the end of the night, but I tried not to let that cloud the score.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

the first bottle i had of this was terribly infected and very sour. this, on the other hand is incredible. it reminds me of an imperial porter... but not.

pours a very dark burgundy brown. the head is tan but minimal and manages to leave some spotty lace on the glass in it's short time on this planet. vaya con dios, my friend!

aromas of vanilla cream, coffee, roasty grains, chocolate and brown sugar fill my nose. as it hits nearly room temperature, the bourbon-y/spicy/woody characters really start to come in to play.

the flavor is much like the aroma... lots of roast/malt powdery goodness, coffee, milky chocolate, caramel, vanilla and faint barrel/earthy notes with a spicy kick on the finish. coffee really hangs on in the aftertaste as the belly gets nice and warm from the booze. extremely 'well' bodied but seemingly light for how much flavor it packs in. it's not sticky as it has a pleasant acidity and spiciness to cut through the richness...

i must have been drinking a lot of craptacular beer lately because i actually had to stop what i was doing to enjoy this...

8/4/8/4/19/4.3

Wow! This is a great beer. At first I thought it was a little to boozy, but after settling in on the bottle it was a nice warmth and flavor on the palate. I would put this Imperial stout at #3 on my list of best aged stouts.

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Nearly flat. A very slight ring of very fine carbonation around the top, and a few stray bubbles coming up through the otherwise dark brown body. Nearly opaque, but not quite.

S: Booze, chocolate, and raisins. A fair oak/vanilla presence. Pretty nice nose, frankly. Better than I remember, but it's been a while. Almost smells like rum balls or something. No hops.

T: This might be a bit too cold for all the flavors to come through--my fault entirely. However, it's perfectly good. It's not as boozy as it smells, nor as sweet--both pluses, in my book. Noticeable but not overwhelming malt character. Finishes with a bit of bitter malt and round, robust chocolate flavor. Not too sweet, not too dry, well balanced in that respect. The woody oak lingers, too, after resting a minute.

M: The consistency is nice and thick, but it's totally flat, and not in a good, cask-beer way. However, it coats the mouth for a nice, long taste that suits barrel-aged complexity.

D: Fairly high. It's not overwhelming with weird flavors, but enough complexity to ponder. A reasonably priced, well executed, barrel aged beer--hard to ask for more. It's no BCS or Dark Lord, but it's not terribly expensive and readily available.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown/black, little head.

Smells of chocolate covered dark cherries, rum, raisin, little bit boozy.

Tastes very raisin forward to me. A little sickly sweet taste going on. Some prune flavor. Lots of milk chocolate.

Mouth feel is big, thick, a little oily.

Overall, not a bad BA Stout. A little sweet for my tastes though.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured the Oak Aged Dragon's Milk into a pint glass.

A - The black ale has a finger of mocha head.

S - The aroma of this one smells of roasted malts, chocolate and some booziness on the back end.

T - Wow, this beer is very smooth and has much more roasted malts, vanilla, and chocolate goodness than the smell. There is some booziness on the back end, but not overpowering at all.

M - This beer is very smooth, and for a barrel aged beer this is very nice. I would say a medium body leaning towards a heavy, but nothing like a Russian Imperial.

O - Again, very impressive, smooth barrel aged beer. I highly recommend this one. Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium-dark brown, with a coppery tint. No real head, but a decent ring of tan fuzz.

Tons of vanilla in the nose. A hint of smoke, also, and a lot of toffee and caramel notes from the malt. Some booze, but not to unpleasant levels. Oaky, but smooth.

Taste is vanilla, oak, toffee, a hint of chocolate, a hint of peat and a noticeable but not hot alcohol presence. I bought this in July, so it's at least 5 months old. It's very nice. Really smooth. This is a barrel-aged beer where the barrel is prominent, and I'm generally a fan of forward oak, so I've got no complaints about that.

Feel is a bit thin, and it's a little flat, even for the style.

Decently drinkable for the style. Suffers a little from the flat feel, but it's delicious enough that I can overlook that.

4.66/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a thick black motor oil consistency with a slight light tan head that wasn't long for this world. Spotty lacing was a welcome surprise for such a high gravity beer.

S - ridiculous amount if intensity to the aroma. I just drank/reviewed a sebago slick nick and struggled to put words to what I was smelling on the nose, this on the other hand is very distinct. Smells like a delicious roasty sweet RIS dripping over a slab of oak that has been aging whiskey for a decade. On top of that someone drizzled some chocolate and chucked on a few vanilla beans for good measure.

T - taste matches the nose, but much more smooth. All the flavors of black malt, roastedness, chocolate, vanilla, and whiskey meld into one sweet smooth amalgam of deliciousness. I've let this age for only half a year and am surprised at how well the flavors have come together, the alcohol is not even present.

M - thick syrupy under carbed, sweet. Nothing u wouldn't expect for the style.

O - this beer is great, no distro in maine yet for this brewery and it's sad. Very smooth and well balanced for a BBA stout and the lack of any alcohol aroma or taste is welcomed. Very refined, would certainly grab this again if I come across it.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Dark in color with massive head and tons of lacing. Riverside had just cracked a new keg and it was beautiful. Aroma is of sweet barley with hints of oak. Tastes like sweet toasted mocha with very little hop presence. It seems more like a barley wine than a strong ale. Feels thick and rich in the mouth and has just the right carbonation. Overall a very drinkable beer. Complex and enjoyable. If you can find it on tap try it.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer has a nice dark golden brown amberish color to it. Has a fair amount of hops making me think it was somewhere between an imperial ipa and a Belgian double. I really like the flavor although I'm sure I couldn't handle more than a bomber due to the thick richness. It does have a slight buttery taste, so I think it's fairly valid to have milk in the title. The scent is extremely caramelish and of course that definitely influences the taste on this one. I will seek this out again. I think it could even improve with some cellaring. This beer has made me want to set up a trip to the brewery.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

A -- A softly translucent deep black brew which pours to a thin skim of a head, settling immediately into something resembling a thick coffee beverage. Leaves spotty lacing at best.

S -- Smells of vanilla and bourbon soaked dark fruit, lightly earthy and woody with hints of chocolate.

T -- Hefty oak tones melded with dark chocolate and vanilla, coffee candy, lightly bitter from the wood countered by a resinous lingering sweetness. A touch of roasted grain which is augmented by the oak. Pretty boozy.

M -- Thin and slick, little or no carbonation, a lingering smack of sweetness, and a slight tingle of numbness on the tongue from the booze.

D -- Hefty and relentless, this is a beer made for kicking teeth in. Definitely worth a try, but I don't see it making it into my regular rotation.

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into my snifter

A- pours a dark brown, once the whole bottle is poured turns to a pitch black. Thin fluffy tan head, miniamal lacing to the glass

S- smells sweet, sugary, followed up boozy oak Bourbon. Not over powering but its there

T- light sugary chocolate malt, mellow woody characteristics, Bourbon booziness

M- light bodied for a stout, almost makes me feel like this is a milk stout with alot of lactose,alcoholic ting spread out like a spread formation on the palate. Bitterness at the swallow trying to balance this out... hit or miss in this bottle

O- I like this... its different... boozey as all hell... sweet and woody... if your into strong Bourbon or Scotch than this is the brew for you....

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle. Nice dark pour with beige head. Roasted malt aroma with nice oak balance. Not real heavy on the tongue. Smooth with nice oak undertones.

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall.

3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

New Holland Dragon's Milk. The first time I had one of these, it was my first BBS and I thought it was too bourbony. I've had enough BBS's that I now enjoy them, and this is a fine example. Searching for the variants.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this bomber into my 20oz glass. This beer pours black with a nice frothy head that sticks around awhile and leaves some decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt and alcohol. The taste is very dry like dark chocolate with some cherry taste at the end. The taste from the wood is also very prominent and must contribute to the dryness of this beer but not in a good way. The mouthfeel is smooth but a little dry. Drinkability is moderate. I finished the bomber but it certainly did not wow me. Overall I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more when I purchased it.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Deep ruby color, creamy tan head, leaves some lacing. Smells of roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, and has a creamy quality. The taste is smooth and creamy, the roasted malt dominating the flavor, a little bitter (can't tell if that's hops or not), the caramel and chocolate surface slowly and there's a slightly spicy lingering finish. Definitely a delicious brew, fits the name well. Very easy to drink and the high ABV is fairly hidden. Great balance and body, and just delicious. This is the favorite of everyone at a beer bar near me called Chappy's, and it's obvious why.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Since my buddy lives in Holland Michigan, I should take his word for it and give these guys a try.

Hew Holland doesn't dissapoint. I have had "The Poet" and the "Mad Hatter" which were both very good but this one is by far better than either one of those beers.

A - Brown to Dark Brown in color. Some light does come through but not much. As far as any head....not much. Nice coloring.

S - Good. Some roasted malts and carmel notes come through. I really like the barrel smell. Very nice but not overpowering. Woody. Earthy. Good.

T - Excellent. Reminds me of a thicker version of Rocky's Revenge. Definite chocolate malt carmel and oak barrel come through. No alcohol at all which is nice for an 8.5% beer. Some carination but not too much. I want to be drinking with a good stake sitting around a camp fire in Northern Minnesota.

M - For such a lighter beer compared to most thick stouts, this Strong Dark Ale is very very creamy. Coats the mouth and tongue. Nice. Very high marks for mouthfeel.

D - You will all die when you hear how much I paid for this 22 oz bomber...$3.99. A new liqior store in town and they have some of their bottles and beers marked WAY to low. In every other store in town, it is at least double this. Excellent find and excellent beer to have on this windy Minnesota Winter day.

Overall, I will for sure pick up more of this in the very near future.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

One of the more balanced oak barrel beer. Overall, it's a decent sipping beer that's worth a try (especially if you're a whisky fan)

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a tan head

Smell: Fragrant malt, butter, and a touch of mocha

Taste: Sweet malt, toasted oak, and butter

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth with a bitter kick

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer with its many rich flavors.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice, but nothing to write home about and I wanted more texture and flavor given the ABV. I have high expectations of the brewery, so was expecting more wow.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours burnt brown, lots of creamy tannish head. Looks something like a stout.

Smell has a great roastiness, some coffee and chocolate malts mingling with dark fruit aromas.

Starts thick and roasty, mellowing out somewhat into creamy tartness. Earthy wood notes and almost sourness towards the finish. Probably has something to do with the barrel aging thing.

A very interesting brew, a nice change from the hoppy strong ales that I'm used to. Not something I'd drink every day, though. Recieved via trade with jpm30.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This is a nice dark ale, with a decent light brown head. Looks almost like a coke while pouring. There is a strong smell of dark chocolate. The taste is much more interesting than the smell. Very nice. There is chocolate, raisins, some wine like flavors probably the oak. It is on the sweet side, with no hops obvious. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth and creamy. It goes down way too easy for a 9% beer!

3.27/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a black hole like sludge into a tulip glass with barely any head.

The aroma is strongly of coffee and roasted malts. you can also smell the oak.

The taste is intense. It overwhelms the senses with a very alcoholic taste. Also the presence of oak, vanilla, and coffee.

Overall, I think this is just a little too boozy and or wood flavored. I think a year or so of aging would mellow it out.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. It was black with very little head but lots of lacing. It poured fairly thick. You could definitely smell oak and vanilla with roasted malts. It was very thick and surprisingly sweet from what I remember from the last time I had it. The malt taste was also overpowered by vanilla. I have to say it was too much. I've read other reviews saying the alcohol was too much, but I didn't think it was too boozy. I had this out with friends before, but this time I drank it at home. I was less impressed with it this time, so it'll be some time before I have it again.

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L- black on first look, with a reddish tint through direct light. tan head that is maybe a finger and a half but quickly disappears. quite active carbonation.
S- chocolate covered cherry. also bourbon is present in the nose. roasted malts also
T- sweet roasty desert type beer. oak taste, and raisin. chocolate and vanilla are both apparent to my taste. quite nice and complex. cant forget the bourbon flavor.
F- nice and full boded with more carbonation than I expected, but not too much
O-when I popped the cap off this one I could hear a crackling that im not familiar with. found that interesting. probably my number one pick bourbon barrel aged stout.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company