New Holland El Mole Ocho - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland El Mole OchoNew Holland El Mole Ocho

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.79% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 04-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland El Mole Ocho Alström Bros

whodeyvols, Sep 24, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -64.5%

ajzy, Oct 20, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

ZPB, Jan 12, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -50.3%

Mick-e-d, May 30, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -45.2%

I had this beer as part of a sampler at the brewpub.

It had dark brown color with no head when it arrived.

The aroma was of spicy chiles, chocolate, and a little bit of malt.

The taste was rather disgusting. Chiles and chocolate and little else. I tried, but was unable to finish even the little sampler I had.
My wife was similarly disgusted.

I'm not sure who drinks this beer, but more power to them if they enjoy it.

ebby82, Jul 17, 2011

beergorrilla, Oct 10, 2014

coz, Nov 09, 2013

Gaddabble, Saturday at 03:24 AM

GaryMarkle84, Nov 21, 2012

fortheunheard, Nov 19, 2014

Kerrie, Oct 15, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours light yellow, with white-ish head.

The smell is strange, almost all chili and beans with no trace of malt or hops. The taste is similar with a dry spicy sort of bean mouth feel and a painful sensation as the spice attacks your esophagus. Had almost no beer like elements in the nose or taste. As it was physically hurting me, I could not finish the bomber.

Would not recommend, especially at this price.

SwartzCr, May 26, 2011
2.11/5  rDev -40.1%

My first chile beer. Had this on draft at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Pours reddish brown with small white head that quickly dissipates. Smells of some chile peppers, tobasco, and a bit of malt sweetness. Taste is not pleasant. Tobasco sauce mixed with a mediocre amber ale, rather thick and sweet. But overall the chile overpowers. Really funky. Gave it a chance and drank most of the pint, but I got physically ill after drinking half of this one.

BMMillsy, Apr 09, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -38.4%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/12/11
*From notes

A: Dirty, muddy brown. A decent pour yields a one finger head that dissipates entirely too soon. Little to no lacing.

S: Slightly spicy, though not as caliente as I'd hoped it would be. A good bit of pimento is apparent all over the nose.

T: A kick of heat up front, followed by a thinly masked layer of fake and rubbery chocolate. Uninspiring. The mid to finish is earthy, and the aftertaste resembles (what I can only assume is) chilled cat urine.

M: Thin, thin, thin.

O: New Holland's El Mole Ocho is a dissapointment on multiple fronts. Considering all of the parts here, the whole should be signifigantly better.

You want a brew with heat? Forget about this and seek out CCB's Hunahpu or Mikkeller's Texas Ranger.

Rhettroactive, Aug 04, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

Zaphog, May 30, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

jacobdensford, Sep 16, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

On tap at Bodega. It's been there for weeks... I wonder why...

What a strange beer. To be honest, this was one where sheer morbid curiosity overcame me. At under $3 a glass during Bodega's happy hour I figured there was minimal risk. Though had they not run out of Breakfast Stout I'd have ignored this beer completely!

I can't even begin to remember all of the ingredients in this beer. I know there are many traditional mole ingredients: chocolate, chile peppers, coffee...

Looked inviting enough, dark but slightly clear. The color of weak, watery coffee. Slight tan colored head on it.

Smelled like coffee alright. Slightly sweet and some nice dark malts in there as well.

Flavor was all over the place. Sweet chocolate up front, followed by roasty malts. Then a very slight prickle of heat on the tongue, but it faded quickly before reaching the back of the throat. The chile is noticeable, but I would have liked a little more I think. Mild coffee flavors and more sweetness. There's some hop bitterness on the finish leaving behind a roasted, dry coffee aftertaste. Frankly the aftertaste was the only part of the flavor I liked. Everything was much too jumbled and odd for my liking.

I did not find this very drinkable. The third bad beer of the night at Bodega last Friday. Thank god for half off happy hour...

Spider889, Nov 02, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. 2010 vintage. Purchased at Foodery (10th and Pine in Philly).

Pours still and muddy brown, a little reddish color, a hint of orange. No carbonation and super muddy. Aroma is oxidized to hell, smells like sticky malt extract, wood, dried chilies, and tree bark. Palate is flat and thick, viscous and sweet. Then things turn earthy, woody dry. I sort of get the chili peppers, but no coffee.

This beer was awful and I dumped out 3/4 of the bottle. Avoid.

SFLpunk, Oct 20, 2011

uziangis, Jan 13, 2012

bigmoose125, Jul 12, 2012

Duff27, Dec 15, 2011

mpenning13, Apr 18, 2014

Brewski, Nov 07, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -27.6%

Reviewed from notes on 5/3/10.

A: Pours a very pretty reddish brown. There is no head at all except for a cream ring around the edge of my glass. What lacing there is fades quickly. El Mole looks pretty clear and a little on the thin side.

S: A mix of burrito sauce, sweet cherries, and slight milk chocolate are the aromas my nose identifies right away. I will probably never write that sentence again. The smell is lacking substance; that is, it smells a bit watery. Additionally, I smell some coffee notes as it warms, and furthermore, some off aromas emerge as it sits in my glass longer: sour skim milk, rubber band, and circus peanuts.

T: A good dose of chocolate upfront with a little sweet cherry is my initial experience. As it warms, it disintegrates into a montage of unappealing flavors. I taste salt and rubber with a very earthy soil aftertaste. I liken the aftertaste of this beer as it warms to the taste in one's mouth after waking up from smoking too many cigarettes and drinking too many cheap beers the previous night.

M: Thin and relatively unsatisfying to most parts of my palate.

D: Well, the thought that crossed my mind is that as I drink more of this beer, I want to drink less. The brew kind of turned on me halfway through my tasting and became something pretty undrinkable.

I am usually not this negative in my reviews, so I will end with a positive. I am happy that New Holland is doing some interesting experimental beers and I am glad to have tried this particular beer to see how it turned out.

TCHopCraver, May 15, 2010