New Holland El Mole Ocho - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland El Mole OchoNew Holland El Mole Ocho

good

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.79% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 04-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland El Mole Ocho Alström Bros
whodeyvols

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

05-30-2012 02:46:55 | More by Mick-e-d
ebby82

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

I had this beer as part of a sampler at the brewpub.

It had dark brown color with no head when it arrived.

The aroma was of spicy chiles, chocolate, and a little bit of malt.

The taste was rather disgusting. Chiles and chocolate and little else. I tried, but was unable to finish even the little sampler I had.
My wife was similarly disgusted.

I'm not sure who drinks this beer, but more power to them if they enjoy it.

07-17-2011 12:43:15 | More by ebby82

Kerrie

10-15-2013 00:25:17 | More by Kerrie
SwartzCr

2.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours light yellow, with white-ish head.

The smell is strange, almost all chili and beans with no trace of malt or hops. The taste is similar with a dry spicy sort of bean mouth feel and a painful sensation as the spice attacks your esophagus. Had almost no beer like elements in the nose or taste. As it was physically hurting me, I could not finish the bomber.

Would not recommend, especially at this price.

05-26-2011 14:33:41 | More by SwartzCr
BMMillsy

2.11/5  rDev -40.2%

My first chile beer. Had this on draft at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Pours reddish brown with small white head that quickly dissipates. Smells of some chile peppers, tobasco, and a bit of malt sweetness. Taste is not pleasant. Tobasco sauce mixed with a mediocre amber ale, rather thick and sweet. But overall the chile overpowers. Really funky. Gave it a chance and drank most of the pint, but I got physically ill after drinking half of this one.

04-09-2012 14:05:17 | More by BMMillsy
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/12/11
*From notes

A: Dirty, muddy brown. A decent pour yields a one finger head that dissipates entirely too soon. Little to no lacing.

S: Slightly spicy, though not as caliente as I'd hoped it would be. A good bit of pimento is apparent all over the nose.

T: A kick of heat up front, followed by a thinly masked layer of fake and rubbery chocolate. Uninspiring. The mid to finish is earthy, and the aftertaste resembles (what I can only assume is) chilled cat urine.

M: Thin, thin, thin.

O: New Holland's El Mole Ocho is a dissapointment on multiple fronts. Considering all of the parts here, the whole should be signifigantly better.

You want a brew with heat? Forget about this and seek out CCB's Hunahpu or Mikkeller's Texas Ranger.

08-04-2011 21:28:18 | More by Rhettroactive
jacobdensford

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

09-16-2012 00:26:50 | More by jacobdensford
Spider889

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

On tap at Bodega. It's been there for weeks... I wonder why...

What a strange beer. To be honest, this was one where sheer morbid curiosity overcame me. At under $3 a glass during Bodega's happy hour I figured there was minimal risk. Though had they not run out of Breakfast Stout I'd have ignored this beer completely!

I can't even begin to remember all of the ingredients in this beer. I know there are many traditional mole ingredients: chocolate, chile peppers, coffee...

Looked inviting enough, dark but slightly clear. The color of weak, watery coffee. Slight tan colored head on it.

Smelled like coffee alright. Slightly sweet and some nice dark malts in there as well.

Flavor was all over the place. Sweet chocolate up front, followed by roasty malts. Then a very slight prickle of heat on the tongue, but it faded quickly before reaching the back of the throat. The chile is noticeable, but I would have liked a little more I think. Mild coffee flavors and more sweetness. There's some hop bitterness on the finish leaving behind a roasted, dry coffee aftertaste. Frankly the aftertaste was the only part of the flavor I liked. Everything was much too jumbled and odd for my liking.

I did not find this very drinkable. The third bad beer of the night at Bodega last Friday. Thank god for half off happy hour...

11-02-2010 07:00:31 | More by Spider889
SFLpunk

Vermont

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. 2010 vintage. Purchased at Foodery (10th and Pine in Philly).

Pours still and muddy brown, a little reddish color, a hint of orange. No carbonation and super muddy. Aroma is oxidized to hell, smells like sticky malt extract, wood, dried chilies, and tree bark. Palate is flat and thick, viscous and sweet. Then things turn earthy, woody dry. I sort of get the chili peppers, but no coffee.

This beer was awful and I dumped out 3/4 of the bottle. Avoid.

10-20-2011 02:25:18 | More by SFLpunk

Brewski

11-07-2013 17:44:46 | More by Brewski
TCHopCraver

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%

Reviewed from notes on 5/3/10.

A: Pours a very pretty reddish brown. There is no head at all except for a cream ring around the edge of my glass. What lacing there is fades quickly. El Mole looks pretty clear and a little on the thin side.

S: A mix of burrito sauce, sweet cherries, and slight milk chocolate are the aromas my nose identifies right away. I will probably never write that sentence again. The smell is lacking substance; that is, it smells a bit watery. Additionally, I smell some coffee notes as it warms, and furthermore, some off aromas emerge as it sits in my glass longer: sour skim milk, rubber band, and circus peanuts.

T: A good dose of chocolate upfront with a little sweet cherry is my initial experience. As it warms, it disintegrates into a montage of unappealing flavors. I taste salt and rubber with a very earthy soil aftertaste. I liken the aftertaste of this beer as it warms to the taste in one's mouth after waking up from smoking too many cigarettes and drinking too many cheap beers the previous night.

M: Thin and relatively unsatisfying to most parts of my palate.

D: Well, the thought that crossed my mind is that as I drink more of this beer, I want to drink less. The brew kind of turned on me halfway through my tasting and became something pretty undrinkable.

I am usually not this negative in my reviews, so I will end with a positive. I am happy that New Holland is doing some interesting experimental beers and I am glad to have tried this particular beer to see how it turned out.

05-15-2010 21:53:37 | More by TCHopCraver
SHolland

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I feel i should be discussing one of my favorite beers for my first review, but unfortunately this is the first beer I have felt strongly enough about to actually write about.

A - Part of my disappointment was thinking this was a stout, not an herbed/spiced ale. However, once realizing what I had, I thought the appearance was decent. Nice medium-dark brown hue and a fine, light tan head with great retention. Seems a little thin for 10.5% abv (my bottle from 2013 says abv is higher than what is listed on this webapge), but I guess a mole isn't usually viscous either.

S - My first indication that I wouldn't care for this beer. Cocoa is definitely present but beyond overpowered by the smell of mildly spicy green chiles. Makes me think the taste will have a kick to it. Don't really get any coffee.

T - You know those chills you get when you taste something you dislike? That just happened. I feel like I just chugged a can of old el paso diced green chiles that were packed in a cocoa coffee water. Sweet. Slightest hint of heat in the finish. Alcohol is well masked. Note: flavor is getting slightly (slightly) better as it warms to room temp. But not pleasant.

M - Smooth, not quite silky. Appropriate for a mole of sorts.

Overall: Massively disappointed. Not sure I can finish it, and I NEVER dump beer. I can see where they were going for the mole, but it just did. not. work. Maybe this batch is different from past batches that were reviewed more positively?

01-27-2014 03:45:10 | More by SHolland
TCgoalie

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Notes from 5/3/10.

The pour is brown, but held up to the light, this beer reveals an inviting cherry red that hypnotizes me. Not much head to speak of, and lacing is minimal.

There is an element of cherry to the smell with a nostril sting of habenero or chili peppers. There could be a bit of chocolate in the smell but not much.

The front end of this beer isn't too bad, subtle brown sugar with sufficient chocolate flavor. As it warms, a touch of ash tray taste appears (what I imagine licking an ash tray would be like). The chilies that were in the scent aren't coming through very much. The finish is quite sweet and somewhat plasticy. Drink this thing ice cold, because it actually gets worse as it warms.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium. It is pretty smooth, but does not excite the mouth.

This is not a very enjoyable drink. I don't want any more after splitting the bomber.

05-05-2010 00:44:28 | More by TCgoalie
samie85

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a clear, dark reddish brown color with a finger of white head.

Smells of cocoa and some spicy herbal notes.

Big cocoa upfront with a hint of spice and finishes very alcoholic.

A little thin and very effervescent with a dry and hot finish.

Drinkability suffers from the hot alcohol notes and the disappointing mouthfeel.

02-17-2012 02:31:50 | More by samie85
jsh420

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

pours clear redish brown with a 1 finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells of peppers, malt and spinach??

taste is different - it reminds me of their pumpkin beer with chilies - also some other fruit in there

mouthfeel - a medium body with low carbonation

drinkability - not good - a few sips were plenty for me - sink got the rest

04-14-2010 02:00:25 | More by jsh420