New Holland Envious - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland EnviousNew Holland Envious

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: drabmuh on 04-07-2010)
jpmclaug

South Carolina

1.33/5  rDev -59.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip. Picked this up at Siciliano's in Michigan.

Brown with a slight red tint and a head that is there for a second. Smells like cough syrup and booze. Taste's like more cough syrup some alcohol, artificial fruit, oaky notes that just don't belong. This is awful. body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation. This isn't drinkable at all. I could handle a sip of this and that's about it. Honestly this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I wouldn't drink this if you paid me never mind the 14 bucks I paid for this bottle.

03-04-2011 01:09:57 | More by jpmclaug
wyattshotmaker

1.38/5  rDev -57.7%

on tap at grammer's in cincinnati. poured a deep ruby red with a small head that disappeared by the time the bartender poured it and brought it 3 ft over to me.

smell is sweet,some oak.smells like cardboard with some juice poured on it.

taste is incredibly middle of the road.this beer does absolutely nothing for me.really i just get a bit of sweetness,pear skin,cardboard.not much oak.

low level of carbonation,not very drinkable to begin with,but the low level of carbonation is the nail in the coffin .i choked this one down.

05-09-2010 03:57:09 | More by wyattshotmaker
AleWatcher

1.55/5  rDev -52.5%

In my continuing quest to find a good fruit beer-- I picked up some bottles of this one.

A purpley brown colored beer has some orange/pink highlights and a small toffee colored head. Some spotty chunks of lacing. This beer is much darker looking than I expected. I was picturing more of a light summer day looking brew... This beer is dark and ominous.
The smell reminds me of a purple tootsie pop. Artificial sweetness and synthetic fruit flavor wrapped around a chocolaty base. Slight hint of grape chewable Tylenol too. I am thus far unimpressed. I am also noticing a little prune flavor mixed with grape and pear... The raspberries have fallen into the background and become indistinguishable. This is really muddy and much too busy. I think fruit beers are supposed to be simple by nature. Something to just enjoy. This tastes just like it smells. And that isn't a good thing. I do taste raspberries as well, but none of the flavors really seem to compliment each other. Instead they fight and bicker-- and we are left to suffer for it. I get no contribution from the oak at all. This brew just seems to have missed the mark.
This also seems to be undercarbonated... But the body does seem pretty nice. Light and pleasant.
I'll add that as I drink more of this and it starts to warm up-- it smells 100% like prune juice. And that is absolutely not what I was wanting out of this.
This is simply the worst beer I've had from New Holland, and I'm sorely disappointed. This is part of the "Cellar Series" of beer that they are releasing... Maybe this one needed a "Not ready for consumption until:" date on it.

04-24-2010 02:57:34 | More by AleWatcher
JamnesCameron

1.63/5  rDev -50%

Received from AleWather (Jeff) in the "invitational" Blind Beer BIF, thanks Jeff.

Poured into a Bellegems Bruin glass. Pours a deep garnet with a very light tan head that drops rather quickly. Some lacing evident, but it doesn't last very long, the lace races down to return to the beer. Maybe that's a good sign.

Aromas of raspberry jam, sugary, red licorise, hints of sourness. Hints of prunes, that gets stronger as it warms. No hop aroma.

Flavors of prunes. Period. Prune juice. Not pleasant. I like prunes, even had prune juice before. Don't much care for in my beer glass. Finish is short, and pruney. Did I mention it tastes like prunes.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly metallic, decent prickle from the carbonation.

Drinkability? No freaking way. My first drainpour in a long, long time. Don't bother. Use it as a marinade. Kill slugs with it. Just don't drink it.

03-09-2011 01:20:51 | More by JamnesCameron
schmidtmattsays

1.75/5  rDev -46.3%

03-01-2014 16:59:41 | More by schmidtmattsays
hippityhops85

1.85/5  rDev -43.3%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle with just Vintage 2010 printed on the label. Really a beautiful bottle.

Poured a murky, muddle brown. Not attractive.

The nose was the least offensive part of this beer: ripe fruits, some bitter chocolate

The taste on this beer was absolutely horrid. Rotten fruit mixed with tobacco and cardboard.

Mouth feel didn't help the situation as the carbonation was so low it couldn't pull any of the off-flavors from my tongue.

I hate to say this but this beer was a drain pour. New Holland produces some fantastic beers, this just happens to not be one.

01-08-2011 15:43:14 | More by hippityhops85
tfarmstrong

Arkansas

1.95/5  rDev -40.2%

A - dark caramel, pours a medium head that dissipates quickly

S - raspberries knock you back initially with other fruit lingering some malt as well but barely

T - Eep, it was a mix of berries, malt and sour. I was not a fan of the overly sour nature and the malt did not fill the gap

M - Mediocre and it was not as smooth as I expected from something oak aged.

O - It fills the idea of "it sounded like a good idea..."

04-16-2011 23:39:32 | More by tfarmstrong

whartontallboy

01-02-2012 22:32:37 | More by whartontallboy
jmarsh123

2.03/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours very deep brown with a one finger white head with decent retention and great lacing.

Smells like fresh raspberries with a little bit of blackberry. Somewhat of an artificial smelling sweetness though.

Flavor has some berry sweetness upfront but really just tastes like prune juice.

Very light mouthfeel and pretty flat increasing the likelihood I'm actually drinking prune juice.

I like the idea, but this one falls considerably short for me. Ends up being too thin and there are a few off flavors here. The prune metallic aftertaste lingers on the tongue which in this case is not a good thing.

03-11-2012 20:52:38 | More by jmarsh123
drpimento

2.03/5  rDev -37.7%

Sounded good, but falls down pretty bad. Bottle opened with barely a pop. Aroma of rasperries was immediately all around. Color is a brownish amber. Flavor is at first raspberry, then pear and the oak. The oak doesn't fit at all. Also a weird flat texture in the middle and end. Wouldn't cook with this either. None of us want to finish it.

06-30-2010 02:38:23 | More by drpimento
Brew33

2.03/5  rDev -37.7%

I picked this up at my local bottle shop not knowing what to expect. It was awful. Drain poured about 14oz of it.

An odd color, brown with hints of brick red. Very little carbonation, an aggressive pour yielded a couple of bubbles with zero head. The aroma is the best part of the beer. The raspberries are very forward. A base beer that reminds me of a Quad or English Barleywine in aroma, very intriguing. The flavor basically craps all over the aroma. Very little Oak character. NONE of the aromas I detected were present in the flavor. Sweet, single note malt bill with an almost embarassing lack of complexity. Raspberries are very faint. Slight brown sugar flavor. Yikes. Not good. The mouthfeel is unimpressive because it's almost flat and very sticky without the full body you'd expect in a beer this sweet at this abv.

The drinkability is very poor. Very sweet. Not something I'd revisit. Pass.

01-21-2011 13:55:32 | More by Brew33
womencantsail

2.15/5  rDev -34%

Thanks? to Richard for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with just about no head at all.

S: Lots of overly sweet raspberries and some fake pear aromas as well. There's a mild tart and seedy quality to the nose.

T: Oh goodness, overly ripe (nearly rotting) raspberries with the pears contributing to the cloying nature of the flavor. And just for good measure, a distinct sugary flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied with a low to moderate level of carbonation and a bit of a syrupy feel.

D: This was just not good in any sense. Way too sweet and nothing even resembling balance at all.

06-13-2010 20:46:35 | More by womencantsail
BarrytheBear

2.17/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle shared with my friend Chris. 2010 model.

Poured a rusty trombone with some big soapy bubbles that pop and fade. Looks like raspberry prune juice if such an amalgamation existed.

Smells heavily of chocolate, prunes, raisins, and boozy dark fruits.

Tastes like oaky prunetastic surprise. Raspberry pokes through with chocolate, dark fruits, and coffee. Back end is mildly tannic.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is a bit funky. I would not reach for this again and the bottle wasn't finished either.

08-01-2011 02:28:18 | More by BarrytheBear

10-01-2012 01:48:25 | More by SourAddict
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

2.28/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle into red wine glass. I'm not sure if I should actually thank Jeff (Alewatcher) for this one - he sounded almost vengeful when he described it to me.

Pours a pretty dark red-brown, highlights of ruby as the light hits it. No head at all, anywhere, but nice color - not an entirely ugly beer.

Nose is kind of weird. Like plasticized prunes, bit rubbery, and a bit of overly-toasted breadcrust mixed in there as well. Prunes come off as almost rotting at points.

Taste is both better and worse. Promising, bright raspberry tartness almost instantly evaporate into those same rotting prune and bizarrely chalky breadcrust notes. The pears come through really clearly, which is a shame - this one really leads me to believe that pears have no place in beer. The flavor combo is nigh on revolting, ESPECIALLY when combined with the weird, chalky, bready brown ale qualities this one takes on. Raspberries are there in the finish, and I feel like they could almost turn things around with a different base beer, but not this one. I suppose I could say this one was a bit too ambitious, but after reading the bill of ingredients it looks like something a 12 year old would dream up - I can't imagine ANYONE thinking a brown ale with pears and raspberries and a wee bit of tartness would be a good idea. And it isn't. If they had taken out the pears, it would have moved up a notch, I believe, and changing the base beer to something like a golden ale would maybe move it up another. But as it is, blech

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Finish isn't nearly clean enough for my taste. Drinkability is a barefoot walk through broken glass. You're left dwelling on the awful bits endless, losing any promising aspects way too quickly.

03-09-2011 21:05:44 | More by JohnQVegas
brownbeer

Missouri

2.3/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours like a flat coke. Brown.

Aroma has some rancid, rotten fruit notes (raspberry, red grapes). Alcohol is present. Maybe some wood. Not appealing. It smells like it's trying and failing miserably.

The taste is similar to semi-rotten plums with a certain raspberry sharpness that isn't very welcome. The taste is all over the place and is just a mess. Thin, watery body, low carbonation.

This is a weak offering from an otherwise ok brewery. The label description is misleading and I couldn't recommend this to anyone. Any of it is too much for me.

05-01-2010 00:47:56 | More by brownbeer
HoneyLamb

2.33/5  rDev -28.5%

Purchased 22 ounce bottle directly from New Holland Brewing Company Bar last month. Bottle was of 2011 vintage.

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Achieved good 1-1/2 finger head with a medium hard pour. Nice amber color.

Smelled sweet and sweet was what I was in the mood for but the taste was sweeter than expected, and taste combinations did not work for me at all. I could taste the oak, but it was overwhelmed by incompatible pear and raspberry. It seemed to have a chocolaty after taste. It was just too much for me and my pallet. I couldn't finish it. I've had sweet beers before that tasted better with age, but I didn't buy two bottles, and I won't buy another one to try it again.

02-05-2012 02:24:40 | More by HoneyLamb
aasher

2.35/5  rDev -27.9%

This one pours like a dark grape/cranberry juice concoction with an off white lacing around the glass. It smells of sweet fruity syrups, an odd mix of sweet berries. It tastes of light chocolate malts with a dry and bitter, yet somehow still overly sweet finish. This beer is odd. It's so disjointed. It drinks medium bodied and sticky. There's a lot of sugar. This beer is a mess and odd at that. The chocolate and berries just don't work in unison.

08-19-2011 01:26:46 | More by aasher