New Holland Envious - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: drabmuh on 04-07-2010

1.35/5  rDev -58.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip. Picked this up at Siciliano's in Michigan.

Brown with a slight red tint and a head that is there for a second. Smells like cough syrup and booze. Taste's like more cough syrup some alcohol, artificial fruit, oaky notes that just don't belong. This is awful. body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation. This isn't drinkable at all. I could handle a sip of this and that's about it. Honestly this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I wouldn't drink this if you paid me never mind the 14 bucks I paid for this bottle.

1.43/5  rDev -56.1%

on tap at grammer's in cincinnati. poured a deep ruby red with a small head that disappeared by the time the bartender poured it and brought it 3 ft over to me.

smell is sweet,some oak.smells like cardboard with some juice poured on it.

taste is incredibly middle of the road.this beer does absolutely nothing for me.really i just get a bit of sweetness,pear skin,cardboard.not much oak.

low level of carbonation,not very drinkable to begin with,but the low level of carbonation is the nail in the coffin .i choked this one down.

1.59/5  rDev -51.2%

In my continuing quest to find a good fruit beer-- I picked up some bottles of this one.

A purpley brown colored beer has some orange/pink highlights and a small toffee colored head. Some spotty chunks of lacing. This beer is much darker looking than I expected. I was picturing more of a light summer day looking brew... This beer is dark and ominous.
The smell reminds me of a purple tootsie pop. Artificial sweetness and synthetic fruit flavor wrapped around a chocolaty base. Slight hint of grape chewable Tylenol too. I am thus far unimpressed. I am also noticing a little prune flavor mixed with grape and pear... The raspberries have fallen into the background and become indistinguishable. This is really muddy and much too busy. I think fruit beers are supposed to be simple by nature. Something to just enjoy. This tastes just like it smells. And that isn't a good thing. I do taste raspberries as well, but none of the flavors really seem to compliment each other. Instead they fight and bicker-- and we are left to suffer for it. I get no contribution from the oak at all. This brew just seems to have missed the mark.
This also seems to be undercarbonated... But the body does seem pretty nice. Light and pleasant.
I'll add that as I drink more of this and it starts to warm up-- it smells 100% like prune juice. And that is absolutely not what I was wanting out of this.
This is simply the worst beer I've had from New Holland, and I'm sorely disappointed. This is part of the "Cellar Series" of beer that they are releasing... Maybe this one needed a "Not ready for consumption until:" date on it.

1.72/5  rDev -47.2%

Received from AleWather (Jeff) in the "invitational" Blind Beer BIF, thanks Jeff.

Poured into a Bellegems Bruin glass. Pours a deep garnet with a very light tan head that drops rather quickly. Some lacing evident, but it doesn't last very long, the lace races down to return to the beer. Maybe that's a good sign.

Aromas of raspberry jam, sugary, red licorise, hints of sourness. Hints of prunes, that gets stronger as it warms. No hop aroma.

Flavors of prunes. Period. Prune juice. Not pleasant. I like prunes, even had prune juice before. Don't much care for in my beer glass. Finish is short, and pruney. Did I mention it tastes like prunes.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly metallic, decent prickle from the carbonation.

Drinkability? No freaking way. My first drainpour in a long, long time. Don't bother. Use it as a marinade. Kill slugs with it. Just don't drink it.

1.94/5  rDev -40.5%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle with just Vintage 2010 printed on the label. Really a beautiful bottle.

Poured a murky, muddle brown. Not attractive.

The nose was the least offensive part of this beer: ripe fruits, some bitter chocolate

The taste on this beer was absolutely horrid. Rotten fruit mixed with tobacco and cardboard.

Mouth feel didn't help the situation as the carbonation was so low it couldn't pull any of the off-flavors from my tongue.

I hate to say this but this beer was a drain pour. New Holland produces some fantastic beers, this just happens to not be one.

2.01/5  rDev -38.3%

A - dark caramel, pours a medium head that dissipates quickly

S - raspberries knock you back initially with other fruit lingering some malt as well but barely

T - Eep, it was a mix of berries, malt and sour. I was not a fan of the overly sour nature and the malt did not fill the gap

M - Mediocre and it was not as smooth as I expected from something oak aged.

O - It fills the idea of "it sounded like a good idea..."

2.12/5  rDev -35%

Sounded good, but falls down pretty bad. Bottle opened with barely a pop. Aroma of rasperries was immediately all around. Color is a brownish amber. Flavor is at first raspberry, then pear and the oak. The oak doesn't fit at all. Also a weird flat texture in the middle and end. Wouldn't cook with this either. None of us want to finish it.

2.12/5  rDev -35%

I picked this up at my local bottle shop not knowing what to expect. It was awful. Drain poured about 14oz of it.

An odd color, brown with hints of brick red. Very little carbonation, an aggressive pour yielded a couple of bubbles with zero head. The aroma is the best part of the beer. The raspberries are very forward. A base beer that reminds me of a Quad or English Barleywine in aroma, very intriguing. The flavor basically craps all over the aroma. Very little Oak character. NONE of the aromas I detected were present in the flavor. Sweet, single note malt bill with an almost embarassing lack of complexity. Raspberries are very faint. Slight brown sugar flavor. Yikes. Not good. The mouthfeel is unimpressive because it's almost flat and very sticky without the full body you'd expect in a beer this sweet at this abv.

The drinkability is very poor. Very sweet. Not something I'd revisit. Pass.

2.13/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours very deep brown with a one finger white head with decent retention and great lacing.

Smells like fresh raspberries with a little bit of blackberry. Somewhat of an artificial smelling sweetness though.

Flavor has some berry sweetness upfront but really just tastes like prune juice.

Very light mouthfeel and pretty flat increasing the likelihood I'm actually drinking prune juice.

I like the idea, but this one falls considerably short for me. Ends up being too thin and there are a few off flavors here. The prune metallic aftertaste lingers on the tongue which in this case is not a good thing.

2.18/5  rDev -33.1%

Thanks? to Richard for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with just about no head at all.

S: Lots of overly sweet raspberries and some fake pear aromas as well. There's a mild tart and seedy quality to the nose.

T: Oh goodness, overly ripe (nearly rotting) raspberries with the pears contributing to the cloying nature of the flavor. And just for good measure, a distinct sugary flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied with a low to moderate level of carbonation and a bit of a syrupy feel.

D: This was just not good in any sense. Way too sweet and nothing even resembling balance at all.

2.2/5  rDev -32.5%

Bottle shared with my friend Chris. 2010 model.

Poured a rusty trombone with some big soapy bubbles that pop and fade. Looks like raspberry prune juice if such an amalgamation existed.

Smells heavily of chocolate, prunes, raisins, and boozy dark fruits.

Tastes like oaky prunetastic surprise. Raspberry pokes through with chocolate, dark fruits, and coffee. Back end is mildly tannic.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is a bit funky. I would not reach for this again and the bottle wasn't finished either.

2.24/5  rDev -31.3%

Bottle into red wine glass. I'm not sure if I should actually thank Jeff (Alewatcher) for this one - he sounded almost vengeful when he described it to me.

Pours a pretty dark red-brown, highlights of ruby as the light hits it. No head at all, anywhere, but nice color - not an entirely ugly beer.

Nose is kind of weird. Like plasticized prunes, bit rubbery, and a bit of overly-toasted breadcrust mixed in there as well. Prunes come off as almost rotting at points.

Taste is both better and worse. Promising, bright raspberry tartness almost instantly evaporate into those same rotting prune and bizarrely chalky breadcrust notes. The pears come through really clearly, which is a shame - this one really leads me to believe that pears have no place in beer. The flavor combo is nigh on revolting, ESPECIALLY when combined with the weird, chalky, bready brown ale qualities this one takes on. Raspberries are there in the finish, and I feel like they could almost turn things around with a different base beer, but not this one. I suppose I could say this one was a bit too ambitious, but after reading the bill of ingredients it looks like something a 12 year old would dream up - I can't imagine ANYONE thinking a brown ale with pears and raspberries and a wee bit of tartness would be a good idea. And it isn't. If they had taken out the pears, it would have moved up a notch, I believe, and changing the base beer to something like a golden ale would maybe move it up another. But as it is, blech

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Finish isn't nearly clean enough for my taste. Drinkability is a barefoot walk through broken glass. You're left dwelling on the awful bits endless, losing any promising aspects way too quickly.

2.3/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours like a flat coke. Brown.

Aroma has some rancid, rotten fruit notes (raspberry, red grapes). Alcohol is present. Maybe some wood. Not appealing. It smells like it's trying and failing miserably.

The taste is similar to semi-rotten plums with a certain raspberry sharpness that isn't very welcome. The taste is all over the place and is just a mess. Thin, watery body, low carbonation.

This is a weak offering from an otherwise ok brewery. The label description is misleading and I couldn't recommend this to anyone. Any of it is too much for me.

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%

This one pours like a dark grape/cranberry juice concoction with an off white lacing around the glass. It smells of sweet fruity syrups, an odd mix of sweet berries. It tastes of light chocolate malts with a dry and bitter, yet somehow still overly sweet finish. This beer is odd. It's so disjointed. It drinks medium bodied and sticky. There's a lot of sugar. This beer is a mess and odd at that. The chocolate and berries just don't work in unison.

2.43/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased 22 ounce bottle directly from New Holland Brewing Company Bar last month. Bottle was of 2011 vintage.

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Achieved good 1-1/2 finger head with a medium hard pour. Nice amber color.

Smelled sweet and sweet was what I was in the mood for but the taste was sweeter than expected, and taste combinations did not work for me at all. I could taste the oak, but it was overwhelmed by incompatible pear and raspberry. It seemed to have a chocolaty after taste. It was just too much for me and my pallet. I couldn't finish it. I've had sweet beers before that tasted better with age, but I didn't buy two bottles, and I won't buy another one to try it again.

2.47/5  rDev -24.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2010 vintage.

(A)- Pours a hazy deep and dark blood red color that produced a thin film of gray bubbles.

(S)- A rich cherry, raspberry, strawberry, plum, and pear fruit flavors with a little spicy oak at the end.

(T)- Sour and tart up front. A very high acidity level. Rather thin fruits compared to the smell, but a bit of cocoa, pear, and raspberry poke through.

(M)- A decent carbonation level. The acidity level feels so high that it feels more sour than it should. For being only 7.5%, the ABV sure does not mess around; it feels at least like a 10%.

(D)- A rather disappointing attempt at the style. Feels sour and acidic enough for a lambic, but the flavor falls miserably short and thin.

2.48/5  rDev -23.9%

Part of a cellar series at New Holland an "ale aged on oak and fruit."

A: a hearty maroon and crimson color makes up the bulk of color with burnt orange filling in the edges. A mere thin ring of butterscotch foam hugs the glass. Pretty lifeless in the glass and no lace, well maybe a few blobs

S: the nose gathers mild fruits (raspberries, cherries, and maybe a plum) and not much else. Noting oak about it and the smells are getting thinner and thinner

T: what a disappointment. The palate is filled with watery grains, timid fruits (from concentrate flavor), and slight vinous notes with maybe a splinter of oak and apples showing. Some crushed aspirin in the finish. Mild astringency rounds out a very unsophisticated beer.
I thought this would compliment the sunny day nicely...nope

M: this is probably the best category yet. Pretty smooth and kinda soft on the tongue. A smidgen on the sticky side followed by a slap of light carbonation. Pretty light body overall, imagine a carbonated vino

D: New Holland has been shaky at best over the past few years. I have not been impressed by many of the releases or specialty beers recently. This is compounded by the mediocre mainstays

For the style this brew is maybe cool...but it is not my style, nothing to get floored about

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank this from the bottle into a tulip...The beer pours a watery clearish medium brown. There is a very light tan head, gone right away, no lacing...The aroma is medium giving off mostly dark fruits and alcohol, not at all sweet, light peaches...The feel is very light, waterish with hardly any taste. Light alcohol with bad fruits. This is horrendous.

2.57/5  rDev -21.2%

Picked this up at Gomer's on a trip where I was looking for another beer. Still, I was intrigued by the label, including the blurb about it being aged on pear juice, so I figured I would check it out. I'm using my snifter for this one. Color is dark. With the addition of pear I was expecting a golden color but this thing is a dark mahogany. Somewhat murky clarity and no real head. The nose tries to be complex but it comes across as a little bit murky. There's raspberries there, as well as some dark chocolate notes. I get some of the oak character as well. Taste is ... interesting. Not what I was expecting at all. Based on the color, I was expecting this to resemble something like a Belgian dubbel, but that's not the case at all. Like the aroma, the taste is kind of murky. There's some raspberry characteristics. Doesn't taste like it smells at all. All in all, it falls ... flat. It's malty. Minor layers of oak and raspberries, but they are very muted. Maybe I need to let the beer warm up longer. As it warms I get some dark fruits - mainly prunes, maybe some apple. Swirling it around in my mouth I get a light vomit flavor. Uh. Meh. Carbonation falls flat as well - there's none to speak of. Likewise, there's no body to this thing. Any type of carbonation would help, but my glass is just ... sitting there doing nothing. Surprisingly, there's no alcohol warming present, which is something you might expect with a beer that's recommended for cellaring. I can see why New Holland earmarked this for cellaring. There's just nothing there - maybe they're expecting it to improve over time. Kudos for defying my expectations with the beer, though it needs some work. I kind of wish I had bought two bottles so I could compare them in a year.

2.64/5  rDev -19%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brownish with hints of purple with a head that quickly disappears (I think it was a purplish color, faded too fast). Almost looks like a glass of Coke.

Smell: Sweet pear and raspberry. Fig and oak. Smells similar to a jam or a jelly.

Taste: Bitter fruit, bitey raspberry, oak, and boozy; tastes like a very bad cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied

Drinkability: I picked this bottle up on a whim, and I wish I hadn't. I usually like New Holland beers, but this was horrible. The nose was pretty good, but that's about it. Won't be getting again. I admire them for thinking outside the box, but this one is not a home run.

2.65/5  rDev -18.7%

A-pours a dark mahogony red, clear, with a thin light tan colored head.

S-the nose is very sweet, raspberries up front, hint of chocolate malt, slightly roasted, notes of fusel alcohol, light hint of wood.

T-there is something off here. cranberries and chocolate malt up front, it thins out right behind and gives a watery taste to it. some vodka in the back as well. this doesn't taste good.

M-smooth, thin, low carbonation on a syrupy texture and a medium body.

D-no balance to this, just sweetness and alcohol, thinning in the back.

2.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a deep purple/red color with one inch of off white head and high carbonation visible.

s - Smells of dark fruit, especially raspberries. Also smells of sweet fruit juice, oak, and chocolate.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and dark fruits, but it isn't working for me. The combination tastes a little bit weird, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Also a little bit of alcohol, which is surprising since it's only 7.5% ABV. Not very enojoyable.

m - Medium body and high carbonation.

d - I thought it smelled pretty good, but the taste was not good at all. Wouldn't buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

Tried this on a trip to Kalamazoo. 2010 bottle...

A: Deep burgundy purple color with hints of red. Enormous head that fades at a decent pace. Looks interesting.

S: Super sweet raspberry grape fruit blend upfront with some sugary malt in the middle. Slight oaky booziness on the backend. Smells like a raspberry slush puppy. Good.

T: A little awkward blend of flavors attacking my palate. Very watered down raspberries upfront with a medium-soft bitter sour pucker in the middle. Slight sweetness on the backend. Not overwhelmed with sourness, but it's still hinted in the brew. Kind of bad blend of flavors for me.

M: Leave a sort of dry flavor on your palate. Decent.

D: Hard to get down. The sourness and flavors blend at such an akward point that it's hard for me to get this down.

All in all, for 13.99, this was a BIG disappointment. Not a good way to start the night. If you like sours, you might want to give this one a try once. If you're not a sour fan, then avoid.

2.8/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle shared by someone at a tasting.

Pours medium brown with slight purplish hues to it and a small light beige head.

The aroma is decent, with blackberries, sweet malt notes, and apple.

The flavor is simple, all right but no flavors that really blow you away. Mildly tart and mildly sweet with blackberry, oak, green apple and other light fruits.

Medium-bodied with medium-high carbonation.

Decent overall, but should be better given that it touched wood.

2.9/5  rDev -11%

650ml capped bottle that reads vintage 2011. drank from my duvel tulip. not sure what to expect from this one.

A- this one pours out a darker than expected deep ruby red colored body with a large light khaki colored head on top. the head lasts for a very long time and leaves behind large globs of lacing.

S- the pear that this is brewed with comes on stronger that i would have guessed in the nose. the raspberries come out also, but weaker than i expected. a little bit of blackberries and some green apple skin finish this one off. very fresh and natural smelling. very sweet smelling.

T- the taste is just as sweet as the smell. lots of sweet berries and fruits. the pear comes out the strongest again. after that i get more blackberries and raspberries. a little bit of tart green apple skin. some subtle vanilla from oak. very sweet.

M- medium bodied with an acceptable level of carbonation. the alcohol is very well hidden. very sweet.

D- meh, this one wasnt for me. very very sweet. too sweet for one. maybe ill check this out again if i can find it again with some age on it. the bottle was a little too large also.

New Holland Envious from New Holland Brewing Company