New Holland Envious - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland EnviousNew Holland Envious

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: drabmuh on 04-07-2010)
3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

A-Pours a deep mahogany with a good amount of head.
S-Aroma a bit like coffee with a hint of a vanilla/creamy scent.
T-Flavor of coffee, slight fruit flavor.
M-Very smooth and creamy, light carbonation.
Overall, an interesting beer, I'm not sure it really fits into any category. It's creamy with light carbonation like a stout and has similar flavors but some sweetness. I did find it very tasty and interesting in a good way, just not a real obvious fruit beer.

adman08, May 31, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

a: murky looking purple/brown with a lot of head that looks more like soda fizz than anything else

s: smells of pear and grape are hardly at the front...the rest smells like boozy water. There isn't a lot going on here and once the initial smell of fruit fades, what is left is a bread-like mess

t: the fruit flavors are clashing here and taste like date/fig/raisin. pretty good actually, but not the flavor I was expecting. almost came off as a type of chocolate too...however the carbonation is way to high and ruins the overall taste. The flavor is there, but the fizz makes it a miss

m: too fizzy, medium body and little coating. Would have like it to stick around longer with less popping bubble feel in my mouth.

o: the flavors are clashing but don't make for a totally unpleasant experience. However, the extreme level of carbonation really wrecked the flavor profile here. It was like someone mixed Coke and Wine to get this...a fizzy fruity mess.

Preismj, May 26, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Blind Beer #7 from Khazadum, with the text: "You made it! Halfway done. Are you sad or excited to finish? I wonder..."

Glassware recommends pint glass, and I welcome this beer into my Perfect Pint.

A - This is a 22oz bottle with ... purple foil? Can't say I've seen that color used before. In the glass, the beer looks very beautiful. It is almost completely clear, and the color is a great chocolate brown, but when held up to light, it glows a deep ruby. About 2-fingers of tan head sit on top and has good retention. Lacing is not bad either, with scattered clumps of lace sticking around. (4.5/5)

S - The smell of this beer is certainly strange indeed and not quite what I was expecting. It's very malty and has a bit of dark fruit in fruit, giving it a somewhat sugary sweet aroma. The malts remind me of barley and a drizzle of chocolate syrup, while the fruits impart aromas of grapes, plums, dates, and figs. All of these sound great apart, but the way this beer integrates everything gives it a mish-mashed feeling and it's a little awkward. (3/5)

T - As in the nose, there's a big sweetness in this beer with a noticeable divide between the malts and fruits. The thing that's coming to mind immediately to me is a marriage between a doppelbock and a dubbel. The beginning gives a lot of the malty breadiness, while soon after there's a heaping helping of sugar-coated fruits. Apples and grapes are the most noticeable fruits and they last well into the finish. Not much alcohol burn. Very strange indeed. (3/5)

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with lowish carbonation. This feels slick in the mouth, but would've helped to have a little more than the prick of carbonation it is currently giving. (3/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. The individual components I'm getting in this beer aren't bad, but when they come together, the sum definitely isn't greater than the parts. It just seems to coalesce awkwardly and doesn't fit nicely in the flavor profile. (2.5/5)

I'm thinking this is dubbel? I'm drawing a blank here; it doesn't really seem to fit with any style.

The reveal: New Holland Envious. Never heard of this one, but apparently it's brewed with pear juice and raspberries and is supposed to be tart... I guess what I thought were apples in the taste were pears, but not getting the tart raspberries...

Definitely interesting though and I'm guessing this was the second kill shot!

nhindian, May 23, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +19%

On tap at the Haymarket Brewery and Pub, Sunday 22 May 2011.

This pours a deep, clear red with a small offwhite head. On the nose there is a big note of raspberry with some vanilla drifting upwards, too, some caramel malt underneath those, and oak. In the mouth the raspberries and oak are the big players, with some slightly sweet malts playing nicely with the tart pear and especially the raspberries. It's not puckeringly tart, nor is it god-awful sweet. It's a nice balance between the two. Everything seems quite well-integrated. The only real flaw for me with this beer is that it's a bit thin, but that's a bit nit-picky and didn't detract at all for me from this wonderful beer.

This was on tap for a Michigan beer day at Haymarket, and I had never heard of it before and fruit beers aren't really my speed. But it looked interesting on the menu and I had to try it. I was blown away. I was even more blown away later when I saw the ratings here. Like I said, I'm not big on fruit beers, but this was a fine, fine brew.

EricCioe, May 23, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this 2011 version into snifter on 04/12/2011.
I'm not sure how to describe this color but the easiest way is by saying it's brownish topped by a tan head. Disipates quickly and leaves very little lace. The nose on this is very fruity... very tart and full of raspberry and a bit of sweet malt. A few sips in and its apparent what this beer is... super fruity. Notes of pear and raspberry dominate with only a slight maltiness. Medium body and a spritzy medium carbonation. I'm not a fan of fruit beers and I tried to rate to style. I think this would be a good wine-drinkers crossover beer. Also I'm not sure this would hold up well in the cellar but maybe I'll toss one in there for shits and giggles.

gnemesis, May 16, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +16%

Ruby body with one finger of tan-white head and fancy lacing.

Nose is *chewy*-- toffee and powerful raisiny taste: smells like a barleywine.

Taste is remarkably subtle. The nose was preparing me for something off the wall, but the taste has a backbone of pear, which is quite mild. Significant malt, but ultimately this was nowhere near as strong-tasting as I expected. Fruity but not obnoxiously so. Lingering aftertaste of... red wine? May smell like a barleywine, but doesn't taste like one. Faint hops, but they don't quite clean up the finish. The oaking is perceptible but only barely.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, and this is a dealmaker because otherwise it could easily taste like flat cola.

It's nice, but nowhere near the price point, and not as good as I would've expected from New Holland after how awesome their High Gravity series was.

zaphodchak, May 01, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown, with copper along the edges. The head was gone when it got to me in the bar, and the lacing was thin and then gone.

S: citrus, lightly roasted malt. Not an overpowering smell.

T: creamy pear, apricot, malt, and a good deal of sweetness

M: creamy, little carbonation, and sticky on your mouth

O: I had a 6 oz pour of this, and it was difficult to finish. Not that it's a bad beer, but it would be a fine replacement for a dessert wine.

Holland, Apr 29, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -4%

Body is dark brown with a faint transparency. Looks like a belgian quadruple. Poured to a half inch head, the head dissipates quickly to a ring. Leaves trace amounts of lacing.

Smells of dark, heavy malt with a strong note of raspberry, with some honey and maple syrup.

Taste is a bit weird. Big chocolate malt flavor and raspberries. Not what one would expect. Really very malty and the fruit doesn't seem to go well with the base beer, whatever that is supposed to be. Some hops in the dry finish.

Body is medium and carbonation is low, giving it a rather flat mouthfeel.

Overall, an experiment that didn't turn out too well. There are some interesting elements but this beer just doesn't come together.

Beerenauslese, Apr 23, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +16%

Cola brown mixed with dark ruby colors. The head is off white and retains for about twenty minutes of sipping.

I get raspberries in the noise with some charred oak, dark mufins, and a little pear. Smells like a slightly tart desert beer or apertif.

The taste starts with pear juice and medoium roasted malts. The middle has the oak come into play. This gives off a light char and woody flavor to thi otherwise fruity beer. As the beer warms, you can feel a little alcoholic warmth. This only adds depth to the somewhat watery, juicey texture of this brew.

The texture was lacking, but all in all I liked this beer.

scruffwhor, Apr 20, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -40.2%

A - dark caramel, pours a medium head that dissipates quickly

S - raspberries knock you back initially with other fruit lingering some malt as well but barely

T - Eep, it was a mix of berries, malt and sour. I was not a fan of the overly sour nature and the malt did not fill the gap

M - Mediocre and it was not as smooth as I expected from something oak aged.

O - It fills the idea of "it sounded like a good idea..."

tfarmstrong, Apr 17, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a somehwat murky brown that clears up a bit in the light. A small tan head fades to a pretty strong foam after showing moderate retention. Lacing is likewise moderate.
I don't think I've run into a mix quite like this one. The nose is a collaboration between coffee, fig, fruits and chocolate with a wood/smoke element. Malts hold on pretty strongly throughout.
Intersting is the word here. This is well brewed, but curious. I really do wonder if this is just sort of a novelty mix-up. More cocoa, coffee and figs are showcased than fruit, though citrus does certianly kick in with a touch of sweetness that avoids being overdone easily but adds an offputting tanginess in conjunction with the woodsmoke coming in underneath. A nutty flavor pull through in the finish, which also features a lingering mix of grains and lighter fruits.
The mouthfeel is a little on the thinner side, though malts provide a bit of sturdiness to a light body. Each sip does begin with some crispness that smooths out in the finish.
This is an interesting beer, though not the way one might expect a fruit beer to be put together. Kudos for being different, but I think usually fruit beers are built on a lighter ale base being things just mingle together and balance better.

Brenden, Apr 09, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -23.9%

Picked this up at Gomer's on a trip where I was looking for another beer. Still, I was intrigued by the label, including the blurb about it being aged on pear juice, so I figured I would check it out. I'm using my snifter for this one. Color is dark. With the addition of pear I was expecting a golden color but this thing is a dark mahogany. Somewhat murky clarity and no real head. The nose tries to be complex but it comes across as a little bit murky. There's raspberries there, as well as some dark chocolate notes. I get some of the oak character as well. Taste is ... interesting. Not what I was expecting at all. Based on the color, I was expecting this to resemble something like a Belgian dubbel, but that's not the case at all. Like the aroma, the taste is kind of murky. There's some raspberry characteristics. Doesn't taste like it smells at all. All in all, it falls ... flat. It's malty. Minor layers of oak and raspberries, but they are very muted. Maybe I need to let the beer warm up longer. As it warms I get some dark fruits - mainly prunes, maybe some apple. Swirling it around in my mouth I get a light vomit flavor. Uh. Meh. Carbonation falls flat as well - there's none to speak of. Likewise, there's no body to this thing. Any type of carbonation would help, but my glass is just ... sitting there doing nothing. Surprisingly, there's no alcohol warming present, which is something you might expect with a beer that's recommended for cellaring. I can see why New Holland earmarked this for cellaring. There's just nothing there - maybe they're expecting it to improve over time. Kudos for defying my expectations with the beer, though it needs some work. I kind of wish I had bought two bottles so I could compare them in a year.

eclaycamp, Apr 09, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into large pils glass.

Looks quite nice and darker then I thought it would be. It's nearly darker than some dopplebocks, a nice mahogany brown. I get a head of about an inch and it holds moderately well as a cap.

Aroma is quite muted, perhaps because I have served it quite cold. I am detecting some caramel notes similar to a doppelbock, cherry, and dark fruit, pear and raspberry not so much surprisingly.

Taste is unfortunately also quite neutral. I am detecting some dark fruit and cherry flavors initially with a tart and slightly phenolic finish. Sweetness does not come through at all to me. I am dumbfounded how so many people have complained of it being too sweet - I find it not sweet enough. As it warms it gets a little bit sweeter, and makes the brew quite enjoyable actually. I also find the oak character of the beer increasing as I drink more.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice, its medium bodied, with a tart refreshing finish that pairs well with the fruitiness.

Overall I am slightly disappointed with this beer. Oddly enough, reading people's bad reviews got me excited to try it, with most of the qualities the masses don't care for (sweetness, hops not the dominant factor) being singled out as a bad thing, I usually enjoy them. Slightly under par for New Holland but not disastrous either. For the price, I would definitely not try it again, but it was worth a shot. If there is one thing I would change about it, I think it needs MORE RASPBERRIES. I think this beer could be much much better with a pronounced raspberry flavor, though they are almost undetectable.

roadhouse, Apr 06, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -11%

650ml capped bottle that reads vintage 2011. drank from my duvel tulip. not sure what to expect from this one.

A- this one pours out a darker than expected deep ruby red colored body with a large light khaki colored head on top. the head lasts for a very long time and leaves behind large globs of lacing.

S- the pear that this is brewed with comes on stronger that i would have guessed in the nose. the raspberries come out also, but weaker than i expected. a little bit of blackberries and some green apple skin finish this one off. very fresh and natural smelling. very sweet smelling.

T- the taste is just as sweet as the smell. lots of sweet berries and fruits. the pear comes out the strongest again. after that i get more blackberries and raspberries. a little bit of tart green apple skin. some subtle vanilla from oak. very sweet.

M- medium bodied with an acceptable level of carbonation. the alcohol is very well hidden. very sweet.

D- meh, this one wasnt for me. very very sweet. too sweet for one. maybe ill check this out again if i can find it again with some age on it. the bottle was a little too large also.

jwinship83, Apr 01, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a murky cola color with high carbonation producing a 1/4 inch head that quickly recedes.
S: Definitely fruity. Raspberry dominates. Hint of pear...maybe.
T: Pear, oak, and raspberry...not much else. Not very complex, but what is there is fairly well balanced in a sweet and fruity kind of way.
M: Light body. Sweet with faintly tart finish.
D: Very average...big disappointment. There are a million jokes itching to be told here...I'm Envious of those who did not waste their hard earned money on this one. ($14 in my case.) There are many brews out there that are less than half the price and well over twice the beer. Can't recommend this one. DP.

mwilbur, Mar 29, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks, or maybe I should say no-thanks to John D. for this one, vintage 2010.

Very light head, semi clear dark marroon rosy brown color.

Nose sweet malts and syrup, weird fruits, light raspberry, pear, lighter dark reddish malts, fruit juice light apple juice.

Taste fruit juice, pear, apple, light grape, raspberry, light syrupy malts, sticky extract, no real malts, watery, light iffy syrup on the finish, little sticky and gritty.

Mouth is lighter with little carb.

Overall meh,

jlindros, Mar 26, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

New Holland Envious Vintage 2010 - roughly a year old.

Steadily poured, New Hollands Envious brought up a short head of creamy yellowed-tan foam. A rougher pour didn't fare much better. Knowing that this is a beer clean glass (that just held a massive head and beautiful rings of lace for a prior beer), I have to see this as a bit of a defect. The head retention is almost non-existent, and it drops immediately to a standard collar. Lacing is very minimal, and only left with each new sip. Beyond that, the body is an attractive, clear ruby-mahogany.

The aroma is malty, and it delivers a bit of the fruit promised on the label (pears and raspberry), as well as some oak and a little whiff of alcohol (heat, some coconut & papaya/mango). The fruitiness is not pronounced, nor is it specific, and most tasters will probably just pass it over, focusing more on the caramel and chocolate of the malt until it warms to room temperature and levels out. At that point, however, some Bourbon character also becomes noticeable, which is interesting (is that the source of the coconut I was finding?).

In the mouth it's supple and smooth, with a restrained carbonation and medium-full body. Perhaps that's the trade off for a limited head? Duly noted, and quite possibly to the betterment of the beer all around.

The flavor delivers more fruit than the nose suggests, and the first sip displays a delicate blend of soft, cocoa-dusted malt and fruit. It's initially more like pear with a little bit of that slightly grating flavor and tartness that pear has, but the raspberry appears across the middle as it warms, and then becomes even more clear in the finish. That's not to say that the fruitiness is bold, as it's certainly not, and I don't think anyone would consider this a fruit beer had they been given it to taste "blind"; the blend of malt and oak and alcohol dominate it too much for that. That said, however, the fruit really does enhance what I might otherwise consider an "old ale", and I find it quite interesting. I'd like to say it was delicate as well, because the flavor components mingle with each other so nicely, except that the alcohol stands out. A minor bit is fine, and although I don't want to find it in the aroma, I think a little bit in the flavor helps to round it and give it balance. That would be expected in an "old ale". It's a little more present than that, however, most likely due to the secondary fermentation of the pear juice.

In conclusion, I have to give New Holland credit for this one. It's unique. It's interesting. And it's fairly well-done given the process that it goes through. I see it as a special occasion beer, fitting in well with holiday dinners or specialty meals; and I think the suggestion of pairing it with grilled stone fruits on the label is brilliant (those and a buttery, earthy, ripe soft cheese and crusty bread would be magnificent!). On the other hand, I haven't tasted it fresh, and perhaps aging has done wonders for it. I'll never know.

NeroFiddled, Mar 21, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle into red wine glass. I'm not sure if I should actually thank Jeff (Alewatcher) for this one - he sounded almost vengeful when he described it to me.

Pours a pretty dark red-brown, highlights of ruby as the light hits it. No head at all, anywhere, but nice color - not an entirely ugly beer.

Nose is kind of weird. Like plasticized prunes, bit rubbery, and a bit of overly-toasted breadcrust mixed in there as well. Prunes come off as almost rotting at points.

Taste is both better and worse. Promising, bright raspberry tartness almost instantly evaporate into those same rotting prune and bizarrely chalky breadcrust notes. The pears come through really clearly, which is a shame - this one really leads me to believe that pears have no place in beer. The flavor combo is nigh on revolting, ESPECIALLY when combined with the weird, chalky, bready brown ale qualities this one takes on. Raspberries are there in the finish, and I feel like they could almost turn things around with a different base beer, but not this one. I suppose I could say this one was a bit too ambitious, but after reading the bill of ingredients it looks like something a 12 year old would dream up - I can't imagine ANYONE thinking a brown ale with pears and raspberries and a wee bit of tartness would be a good idea. And it isn't. If they had taken out the pears, it would have moved up a notch, I believe, and changing the base beer to something like a golden ale would maybe move it up another. But as it is, blech

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Finish isn't nearly clean enough for my taste. Drinkability is a barefoot walk through broken glass. You're left dwelling on the awful bits endless, losing any promising aspects way too quickly.

JohnQVegas, Mar 09, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -50%

Received from AleWather (Jeff) in the "invitational" Blind Beer BIF, thanks Jeff.

Poured into a Bellegems Bruin glass. Pours a deep garnet with a very light tan head that drops rather quickly. Some lacing evident, but it doesn't last very long, the lace races down to return to the beer. Maybe that's a good sign.

Aromas of raspberry jam, sugary, red licorise, hints of sourness. Hints of prunes, that gets stronger as it warms. No hop aroma.

Flavors of prunes. Period. Prune juice. Not pleasant. I like prunes, even had prune juice before. Don't much care for in my beer glass. Finish is short, and pruney. Did I mention it tastes like prunes.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly metallic, decent prickle from the carbonation.

Drinkability? No freaking way. My first drainpour in a long, long time. Don't bother. Use it as a marinade. Kill slugs with it. Just don't drink it.

JamnesCameron, Mar 09, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer poured a very dark clear amber and formed a light tan foamy head that left latticed lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, raspberry and chocolate. The flavor was of malt, coffee, cocoa and raspberry. The finish was medium light and slightly sweet yet sour. Not one of their best, but maybe they mean it to be aged for a while.

Wildman, Mar 05, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -59.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip. Picked this up at Siciliano's in Michigan.

Brown with a slight red tint and a head that is there for a second. Smells like cough syrup and booze. Taste's like more cough syrup some alcohol, artificial fruit, oaky notes that just don't belong. This is awful. body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation. This isn't drinkable at all. I could handle a sip of this and that's about it. Honestly this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I wouldn't drink this if you paid me never mind the 14 bucks I paid for this bottle.

jpmclaug, Mar 04, 2011

I was surprised to see such poor reviews of this beer, I had a glass on tap yesterday and really liked it. I know things can taste different out of the bottle, but this was a tasty draught.

Beer poured a nice brown, with a reddish-purplish head. Smell was brown sugar and some raspberries.

Taste wasn't nearly as tart as I expected (the bartender said it was a sour beer...it's certainly not). There's a nice interplay between the sweetness and the tartness, and the fruit is present but not overpowering. The oak adds a nice finish too.

Not a bad beer at all, I really enjoyed this. For $8 for a pour, I think there are better choices, but a good beer, at least out of a keg.

Aguirre, Feb 18, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -37.7%

I picked this up at my local bottle shop not knowing what to expect. It was awful. Drain poured about 14oz of it.

An odd color, brown with hints of brick red. Very little carbonation, an aggressive pour yielded a couple of bubbles with zero head. The aroma is the best part of the beer. The raspberries are very forward. A base beer that reminds me of a Quad or English Barleywine in aroma, very intriguing. The flavor basically craps all over the aroma. Very little Oak character. NONE of the aromas I detected were present in the flavor. Sweet, single note malt bill with an almost embarassing lack of complexity. Raspberries are very faint. Slight brown sugar flavor. Yikes. Not good. The mouthfeel is unimpressive because it's almost flat and very sticky without the full body you'd expect in a beer this sweet at this abv.

The drinkability is very poor. Very sweet. Not something I'd revisit. Pass.

Brew33, Jan 21, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -43.3%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle with just Vintage 2010 printed on the label. Really a beautiful bottle.

Poured a murky, muddle brown. Not attractive.

The nose was the least offensive part of this beer: ripe fruits, some bitter chocolate

The taste on this beer was absolutely horrid. Rotten fruit mixed with tobacco and cardboard.

Mouth feel didn't help the situation as the carbonation was so low it couldn't pull any of the off-flavors from my tongue.

I hate to say this but this beer was a drain pour. New Holland produces some fantastic beers, this just happens to not be one.

hippityhops85, Jan 08, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a snifter glass. Vintage 2010.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown with a ruby red hue. Not much of a head.

Smell: Not a very strong fruit aroma. Plum, pear, sweet malt, and raspberry. There's some phenolic clove too.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mostly malted barley/crystal and plum. The fruit doesn't really dominate this like it should. Kinda bland. Body is a little light, carbonation good, and alcohol presence hidden.

Drinkablility: It's an alright drinker, just wish the fruit came through a little more.

ballz50401, Nov 26, 2010