New Holland Envious - New Holland Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: drabmuh on 04-07-2010

3.62/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this 2011 version into snifter on 04/12/2011.
I'm not sure how to describe this color but the easiest way is by saying it's brownish topped by a tan head. Disipates quickly and leaves very little lace. The nose on this is very fruity... very tart and full of raspberry and a bit of sweet malt. A few sips in and its apparent what this beer is... super fruity. Notes of pear and raspberry dominate with only a slight maltiness. Medium body and a spritzy medium carbonation. I'm not a fan of fruit beers and I tried to rate to style. I think this would be a good wine-drinkers crossover beer. Also I'm not sure this would hold up well in the cellar but maybe I'll toss one in there for shits and giggles.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Ruby body with one finger of tan-white head and fancy lacing.

Nose is *chewy*-- toffee and powerful raisiny taste: smells like a barleywine.

Taste is remarkably subtle. The nose was preparing me for something off the wall, but the taste has a backbone of pear, which is quite mild. Significant malt, but ultimately this was nowhere near as strong-tasting as I expected. Fruity but not obnoxiously so. Lingering aftertaste of... red wine? May smell like a barleywine, but doesn't taste like one. Faint hops, but they don't quite clean up the finish. The oaking is perceptible but only barely.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, and this is a dealmaker because otherwise it could easily taste like flat cola.

It's nice, but nowhere near the price point, and not as good as I would've expected from New Holland after how awesome their High Gravity series was.

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown, with copper along the edges. The head was gone when it got to me in the bar, and the lacing was thin and then gone.

S: citrus, lightly roasted malt. Not an overpowering smell.

T: creamy pear, apricot, malt, and a good deal of sweetness

M: creamy, little carbonation, and sticky on your mouth

O: I had a 6 oz pour of this, and it was difficult to finish. Not that it's a bad beer, but it would be a fine replacement for a dessert wine.

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

Body is dark brown with a faint transparency. Looks like a belgian quadruple. Poured to a half inch head, the head dissipates quickly to a ring. Leaves trace amounts of lacing.

Smells of dark, heavy malt with a strong note of raspberry, with some honey and maple syrup.

Taste is a bit weird. Big chocolate malt flavor and raspberries. Not what one would expect. Really very malty and the fruit doesn't seem to go well with the base beer, whatever that is supposed to be. Some hops in the dry finish.

Body is medium and carbonation is low, giving it a rather flat mouthfeel.

Overall, an experiment that didn't turn out too well. There are some interesting elements but this beer just doesn't come together.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Cola brown mixed with dark ruby colors. The head is off white and retains for about twenty minutes of sipping.

I get raspberries in the noise with some charred oak, dark mufins, and a little pear. Smells like a slightly tart desert beer or apertif.

The taste starts with pear juice and medoium roasted malts. The middle has the oak come into play. This gives off a light char and woody flavor to thi otherwise fruity beer. As the beer warms, you can feel a little alcoholic warmth. This only adds depth to the somewhat watery, juicey texture of this brew.

The texture was lacking, but all in all I liked this beer.

2.01/5  rDev -38.3%

A - dark caramel, pours a medium head that dissipates quickly

S - raspberries knock you back initially with other fruit lingering some malt as well but barely

T - Eep, it was a mix of berries, malt and sour. I was not a fan of the overly sour nature and the malt did not fill the gap

M - Mediocre and it was not as smooth as I expected from something oak aged.

O - It fills the idea of "it sounded like a good idea..."

3.62/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a somehwat murky brown that clears up a bit in the light. A small tan head fades to a pretty strong foam after showing moderate retention. Lacing is likewise moderate.
I don't think I've run into a mix quite like this one. The nose is a collaboration between coffee, fig, fruits and chocolate with a wood/smoke element. Malts hold on pretty strongly throughout.
Intersting is the word here. This is well brewed, but curious. I really do wonder if this is just sort of a novelty mix-up. More cocoa, coffee and figs are showcased than fruit, though citrus does certianly kick in with a touch of sweetness that avoids being overdone easily but adds an offputting tanginess in conjunction with the woodsmoke coming in underneath. A nutty flavor pull through in the finish, which also features a lingering mix of grains and lighter fruits.
The mouthfeel is a little on the thinner side, though malts provide a bit of sturdiness to a light body. Each sip does begin with some crispness that smooths out in the finish.
This is an interesting beer, though not the way one might expect a fruit beer to be put together. Kudos for being different, but I think usually fruit beers are built on a lighter ale base being things just mingle together and balance better.

2.57/5  rDev -21.2%

Picked this up at Gomer's on a trip where I was looking for another beer. Still, I was intrigued by the label, including the blurb about it being aged on pear juice, so I figured I would check it out. I'm using my snifter for this one. Color is dark. With the addition of pear I was expecting a golden color but this thing is a dark mahogany. Somewhat murky clarity and no real head. The nose tries to be complex but it comes across as a little bit murky. There's raspberries there, as well as some dark chocolate notes. I get some of the oak character as well. Taste is ... interesting. Not what I was expecting at all. Based on the color, I was expecting this to resemble something like a Belgian dubbel, but that's not the case at all. Like the aroma, the taste is kind of murky. There's some raspberry characteristics. Doesn't taste like it smells at all. All in all, it falls ... flat. It's malty. Minor layers of oak and raspberries, but they are very muted. Maybe I need to let the beer warm up longer. As it warms I get some dark fruits - mainly prunes, maybe some apple. Swirling it around in my mouth I get a light vomit flavor. Uh. Meh. Carbonation falls flat as well - there's none to speak of. Likewise, there's no body to this thing. Any type of carbonation would help, but my glass is just ... sitting there doing nothing. Surprisingly, there's no alcohol warming present, which is something you might expect with a beer that's recommended for cellaring. I can see why New Holland earmarked this for cellaring. There's just nothing there - maybe they're expecting it to improve over time. Kudos for defying my expectations with the beer, though it needs some work. I kind of wish I had bought two bottles so I could compare them in a year.

3.46/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into large pils glass.

Looks quite nice and darker then I thought it would be. It's nearly darker than some dopplebocks, a nice mahogany brown. I get a head of about an inch and it holds moderately well as a cap.

Aroma is quite muted, perhaps because I have served it quite cold. I am detecting some caramel notes similar to a doppelbock, cherry, and dark fruit, pear and raspberry not so much surprisingly.

Taste is unfortunately also quite neutral. I am detecting some dark fruit and cherry flavors initially with a tart and slightly phenolic finish. Sweetness does not come through at all to me. I am dumbfounded how so many people have complained of it being too sweet - I find it not sweet enough. As it warms it gets a little bit sweeter, and makes the brew quite enjoyable actually. I also find the oak character of the beer increasing as I drink more.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice, its medium bodied, with a tart refreshing finish that pairs well with the fruitiness.

Overall I am slightly disappointed with this beer. Oddly enough, reading people's bad reviews got me excited to try it, with most of the qualities the masses don't care for (sweetness, hops not the dominant factor) being singled out as a bad thing, I usually enjoy them. Slightly under par for New Holland but not disastrous either. For the price, I would definitely not try it again, but it was worth a shot. If there is one thing I would change about it, I think it needs MORE RASPBERRIES. I think this beer could be much much better with a pronounced raspberry flavor, though they are almost undetectable.

2.9/5  rDev -11%

650ml capped bottle that reads vintage 2011. drank from my duvel tulip. not sure what to expect from this one.

A- this one pours out a darker than expected deep ruby red colored body with a large light khaki colored head on top. the head lasts for a very long time and leaves behind large globs of lacing.

S- the pear that this is brewed with comes on stronger that i would have guessed in the nose. the raspberries come out also, but weaker than i expected. a little bit of blackberries and some green apple skin finish this one off. very fresh and natural smelling. very sweet smelling.

T- the taste is just as sweet as the smell. lots of sweet berries and fruits. the pear comes out the strongest again. after that i get more blackberries and raspberries. a little bit of tart green apple skin. some subtle vanilla from oak. very sweet.

M- medium bodied with an acceptable level of carbonation. the alcohol is very well hidden. very sweet.

D- meh, this one wasnt for me. very very sweet. too sweet for one. maybe ill check this out again if i can find it again with some age on it. the bottle was a little too large also.

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a murky cola color with high carbonation producing a 1/4 inch head that quickly recedes.
S: Definitely fruity. Raspberry dominates. Hint of pear...maybe.
T: Pear, oak, and raspberry...not much else. Not very complex, but what is there is fairly well balanced in a sweet and fruity kind of way.
M: Light body. Sweet with faintly tart finish.
D: Very average...big disappointment. There are a million jokes itching to be told here...I'm Envious of those who did not waste their hard earned money on this one. ($14 in my case.) There are many brews out there that are less than half the price and well over twice the beer. Can't recommend this one. DP.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks, or maybe I should say no-thanks to John D. for this one, vintage 2010.

Very light head, semi clear dark marroon rosy brown color.

Nose sweet malts and syrup, weird fruits, light raspberry, pear, lighter dark reddish malts, fruit juice light apple juice.

Taste fruit juice, pear, apple, light grape, raspberry, light syrupy malts, sticky extract, no real malts, watery, light iffy syrup on the finish, little sticky and gritty.

Mouth is lighter with little carb.

Overall meh,

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

New Holland Envious Vintage 2010 - roughly a year old.

Steadily poured, New Hollands Envious brought up a short head of creamy yellowed-tan foam. A rougher pour didn't fare much better. Knowing that this is a beer clean glass (that just held a massive head and beautiful rings of lace for a prior beer), I have to see this as a bit of a defect. The head retention is almost non-existent, and it drops immediately to a standard collar. Lacing is very minimal, and only left with each new sip. Beyond that, the body is an attractive, clear ruby-mahogany.

The aroma is malty, and it delivers a bit of the fruit promised on the label (pears and raspberry), as well as some oak and a little whiff of alcohol (heat, some coconut & papaya/mango). The fruitiness is not pronounced, nor is it specific, and most tasters will probably just pass it over, focusing more on the caramel and chocolate of the malt until it warms to room temperature and levels out. At that point, however, some Bourbon character also becomes noticeable, which is interesting (is that the source of the coconut I was finding?).

In the mouth it's supple and smooth, with a restrained carbonation and medium-full body. Perhaps that's the trade off for a limited head? Duly noted, and quite possibly to the betterment of the beer all around.

The flavor delivers more fruit than the nose suggests, and the first sip displays a delicate blend of soft, cocoa-dusted malt and fruit. It's initially more like pear with a little bit of that slightly grating flavor and tartness that pear has, but the raspberry appears across the middle as it warms, and then becomes even more clear in the finish. That's not to say that the fruitiness is bold, as it's certainly not, and I don't think anyone would consider this a fruit beer had they been given it to taste "blind"; the blend of malt and oak and alcohol dominate it too much for that. That said, however, the fruit really does enhance what I might otherwise consider an "old ale", and I find it quite interesting. I'd like to say it was delicate as well, because the flavor components mingle with each other so nicely, except that the alcohol stands out. A minor bit is fine, and although I don't want to find it in the aroma, I think a little bit in the flavor helps to round it and give it balance. That would be expected in an "old ale". It's a little more present than that, however, most likely due to the secondary fermentation of the pear juice.

In conclusion, I have to give New Holland credit for this one. It's unique. It's interesting. And it's fairly well-done given the process that it goes through. I see it as a special occasion beer, fitting in well with holiday dinners or specialty meals; and I think the suggestion of pairing it with grilled stone fruits on the label is brilliant (those and a buttery, earthy, ripe soft cheese and crusty bread would be magnificent!). On the other hand, I haven't tasted it fresh, and perhaps aging has done wonders for it. I'll never know.

2.24/5  rDev -31.3%

Bottle into red wine glass. I'm not sure if I should actually thank Jeff (Alewatcher) for this one - he sounded almost vengeful when he described it to me.

Pours a pretty dark red-brown, highlights of ruby as the light hits it. No head at all, anywhere, but nice color - not an entirely ugly beer.

Nose is kind of weird. Like plasticized prunes, bit rubbery, and a bit of overly-toasted breadcrust mixed in there as well. Prunes come off as almost rotting at points.

Taste is both better and worse. Promising, bright raspberry tartness almost instantly evaporate into those same rotting prune and bizarrely chalky breadcrust notes. The pears come through really clearly, which is a shame - this one really leads me to believe that pears have no place in beer. The flavor combo is nigh on revolting, ESPECIALLY when combined with the weird, chalky, bready brown ale qualities this one takes on. Raspberries are there in the finish, and I feel like they could almost turn things around with a different base beer, but not this one. I suppose I could say this one was a bit too ambitious, but after reading the bill of ingredients it looks like something a 12 year old would dream up - I can't imagine ANYONE thinking a brown ale with pears and raspberries and a wee bit of tartness would be a good idea. And it isn't. If they had taken out the pears, it would have moved up a notch, I believe, and changing the base beer to something like a golden ale would maybe move it up another. But as it is, blech

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Finish isn't nearly clean enough for my taste. Drinkability is a barefoot walk through broken glass. You're left dwelling on the awful bits endless, losing any promising aspects way too quickly.

1.72/5  rDev -47.2%

Received from AleWather (Jeff) in the "invitational" Blind Beer BIF, thanks Jeff.

Poured into a Bellegems Bruin glass. Pours a deep garnet with a very light tan head that drops rather quickly. Some lacing evident, but it doesn't last very long, the lace races down to return to the beer. Maybe that's a good sign.

Aromas of raspberry jam, sugary, red licorise, hints of sourness. Hints of prunes, that gets stronger as it warms. No hop aroma.

Flavors of prunes. Period. Prune juice. Not pleasant. I like prunes, even had prune juice before. Don't much care for in my beer glass. Finish is short, and pruney. Did I mention it tastes like prunes.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly metallic, decent prickle from the carbonation.

Drinkability? No freaking way. My first drainpour in a long, long time. Don't bother. Use it as a marinade. Kill slugs with it. Just don't drink it.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer poured a very dark clear amber and formed a light tan foamy head that left latticed lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, raspberry and chocolate. The flavor was of malt, coffee, cocoa and raspberry. The finish was medium light and slightly sweet yet sour. Not one of their best, but maybe they mean it to be aged for a while.

1.35/5  rDev -58.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip. Picked this up at Siciliano's in Michigan.

Brown with a slight red tint and a head that is there for a second. Smells like cough syrup and booze. Taste's like more cough syrup some alcohol, artificial fruit, oaky notes that just don't belong. This is awful. body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation. This isn't drinkable at all. I could handle a sip of this and that's about it. Honestly this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I wouldn't drink this if you paid me never mind the 14 bucks I paid for this bottle.

I was surprised to see such poor reviews of this beer, I had a glass on tap yesterday and really liked it. I know things can taste different out of the bottle, but this was a tasty draught.

Beer poured a nice brown, with a reddish-purplish head. Smell was brown sugar and some raspberries.

Taste wasn't nearly as tart as I expected (the bartender said it was a sour beer...it's certainly not). There's a nice interplay between the sweetness and the tartness, and the fruit is present but not overpowering. The oak adds a nice finish too.

Not a bad beer at all, I really enjoyed this. For $8 for a pour, I think there are better choices, but a good beer, at least out of a keg.

2.12/5  rDev -35%

I picked this up at my local bottle shop not knowing what to expect. It was awful. Drain poured about 14oz of it.

An odd color, brown with hints of brick red. Very little carbonation, an aggressive pour yielded a couple of bubbles with zero head. The aroma is the best part of the beer. The raspberries are very forward. A base beer that reminds me of a Quad or English Barleywine in aroma, very intriguing. The flavor basically craps all over the aroma. Very little Oak character. NONE of the aromas I detected were present in the flavor. Sweet, single note malt bill with an almost embarassing lack of complexity. Raspberries are very faint. Slight brown sugar flavor. Yikes. Not good. The mouthfeel is unimpressive because it's almost flat and very sticky without the full body you'd expect in a beer this sweet at this abv.

The drinkability is very poor. Very sweet. Not something I'd revisit. Pass.

1.94/5  rDev -40.5%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle with just Vintage 2010 printed on the label. Really a beautiful bottle.

Poured a murky, muddle brown. Not attractive.

The nose was the least offensive part of this beer: ripe fruits, some bitter chocolate

The taste on this beer was absolutely horrid. Rotten fruit mixed with tobacco and cardboard.

Mouth feel didn't help the situation as the carbonation was so low it couldn't pull any of the off-flavors from my tongue.

I hate to say this but this beer was a drain pour. New Holland produces some fantastic beers, this just happens to not be one.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a snifter glass. Vintage 2010.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown with a ruby red hue. Not much of a head.

Smell: Not a very strong fruit aroma. Plum, pear, sweet malt, and raspberry. There's some phenolic clove too.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mostly malted barley/crystal and plum. The fruit doesn't really dominate this like it should. Kinda bland. Body is a little light, carbonation good, and alcohol presence hidden.

Drinkablility: It's an alright drinker, just wish the fruit came through a little more.

Pours a clean deep amber, almost reddish, with a tan head. In the aroma, small tartness, pears and berries. In the taste, a bit oaky and sweet to tart pears, and a end of a mixture of berries. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry fresh berry aftertaste. Nice presence of oak, big pear presence with a nice small tartness. I bet this would age nicely.

3.86/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a clear, dark red color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of raspberry, sweet malt, slight roasted malt, and hint of coffee. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of raspberry, sweet malt, hint of roasted malt, hint of hop, and slight alcohol. Overall, good appearance, body, and blend.

3.78/5  rDev +16%

Appearance - wasn't really sure what to expect with all the 'purpling' on the label and bottle neck. As it goes, this was a fine looking dark caramel amber color. The head is a light coffee/mocha color that looks nice but fizzles away all too soon. Thanks to a healthy bead, it holds at a thin cover and thick collar.

Aroma - a sweet, fruity, raisiny whiff. Some Tootsie Roll style chocolate as well. Interesting...

Taste - crackery, grainy malts, certainly sweet but not syrupy. In fact it comes across a bit thin. The raspberries and oak come through evenly, softly, elegantly. Just a touch of tartness on the swallow, the beer has balanced flavors throughout, very nice. For a non-big beer, this is impressively put together, a variety of ingredients working in harmony without any one component being bossy.

Mouthfeel - the softer flavors wouldn't work nearly as well if the body didn't hold them up. Sturdy weight, lighter carbonation, pretty smooth.

Drinkability - at 7.5%, I'm not sure how long I'd cellar these, but a few years would be a good experiment. As it is, I bought only one and am in no position to seek out more, but this bottle is easy-drinking.

2.8/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle shared by someone at a tasting.

Pours medium brown with slight purplish hues to it and a small light beige head.

The aroma is decent, with blackberries, sweet malt notes, and apple.

The flavor is simple, all right but no flavors that really blow you away. Mildly tart and mildly sweet with blackberry, oak, green apple and other light fruits.

Medium-bodied with medium-high carbonation.

Decent overall, but should be better given that it touched wood.

New Holland Envious from New Holland Brewing Company