Rye P.A. Hatter - New Holland Brewing Company

Rye P.A. HatterRye P.A. Hatter

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: fear025 on 07-02-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 315 | Reviews: 110
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

I have to rate this awful - I hope it was a bad bottle, since overall other reviewers seem to lean toward raving about the brew. Also, I have enjoyed Mad Hatter in the past and in general like New Holland beers.

Half the bottle exploded in foam in the sink, where for some prescient reason I opened it. The remaining beer was enough to produce two pint glassfuls, each of which was about half foamy carbonation. The color was similar to a dirty mud puddle.

I got hardly any smell or taste of rye, hops or malt. It was not exactly plastic as another reviewer suggested, but more like library paste. Phew - what an experience.

Close to the worst beer I've ever had. Like I say, I hope my bottle was a total outlier (maybe left on a warm shelf in a sunny warehouse for six months?)

1.64/5  rDev -56.6%

Opens with a big gush of foam. Oh ohh. This is going to be a problem. Ultra carbonation wastes about 1/3 of the bottle.
Hazy amber body with a massive egg shell colored head.

Smells of carmel, sweet sticky green apple and funk. Some lemon pledge mixed with shoe polish.

Tastes of sweet cheeries, musty blanket, toffee and earthy hops. I know already this is not right but I must tell of my experience.

Mouthfeel is medium thin with little carbonation remaining. A sticky sweet and funky aftertaste remains.

Overall this is funkified and not right. I hope this can be resolved in a future batch.
2011 vintage.

2.23/5  rDev -41%

BOTTLE: Silver foil-ed over pry-off pressure cap. 2014 vintage. 1 pint 6 fl oz. Brown glass. Appealing label art.

Reviewed live as a rye pale ale per the label. Expectations are above average given the brewery. Purchased in CO and served cold into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass at high altitude in Castle Rock, CO.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. Beige colour. Average thickness, creaminess, fullness, complexion, and consistency. Above average frothiness. Nice retention - ~5 minutes. Light, even lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Vibrant amber-copper. Translucent and transparent. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. It's not spot on for a pale ale, but I guess the rye does have an effect on colour. Still, it's far from unique or special. This is a pretty middle-of-the-road appearance for a pale. I'm optimistic.

AROMA: Sweet sticky caramalt dominates, lending far too much sweetness for a pale and seemingly drowning out the hops. Hopwise, I get nectary notes, faint pine, and some herbal/evergreen character. Rye's signature spiciness is in there but's hidden; I doubt I'd notice it if I tried this beer blind.

Aromatic intensity is average.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

Suggests an overly sweet pale ale with insufficient hopping.

TASTE: Caramalt dominates the taste as well, to its detriment. I have trouble finding even any pale malts. Rye's spiciness does flourish on the climax, but it's not enough to save this flavour profile from its fundamental imbalance/overdone malt sweetness. And it suffers from a disgusting green apple/candied apple/caramelized apple note I despise. The hops get eclipsed, but I do find traces of herbal and evergreen hop character; maybe a hint of pine too? The ingredients were just poorly selected here; this should be a pale malt heavy flavour profile with bright hop notes like citrus and resins.

Average/underwhelming depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. There's no notable complexity/intricacy, nuance, or subtlety. It's a pretty overt build, lacking much cohesion. Not a gestalt flavour profile by any means. Sadly, there is some noticeable alcohol warmth as well. A problematic pale ale buid that I'm having trouble liking.

As it warms, I even find some marshmallow emerging - an awful flavour in a pale ale build.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, overcarbonated, too full-bodied, overly thick, and slightly syrupy, with an off-puttingly sticky feel on the palate. This texture is ill-suited to its intended style and doesn't do a good job of complementing the taste. Subpar execution. Fails to elevate the beer.

OVERALL: Disappointing work from New Holland. The execution didn't deliver on the potential of the premise. In order to fix this, they'd need to go to back to the drawing board; even the fundamental ingredient selection decisions are wrong. Not sure what they were after with this one. I'll finish the bottle with effort, but I definitely wouldn't buy this again. Why is it so damned sweet?

High D

2.36/5  rDev -37.6%

Like several other reviewers, I had a miserable experience with this beer. Upon opening the bottle, 1/3 of the contents foamed over and saturating the surface of my bar. Since many people have had this problem, it is a trend not an isolated incident. This is a poor reflection on an otherwise good brewery. The problem needs to be fixed.

What was left of the contents produced a copper colored beer with little aroma. The aroma may have already been spilled. The initial taste produced a modest hoppy flavor. However, there was no detectable rye flavor. Any mouthfeel was negligible. The aftertaste was watery and hardly significant.

I have loved many of New Holland's beers, but I really must wonder what went wrong here. Between the contents exploding for a number of people and the paltry amount of flavor, I am very disappointed.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

2.74/5  rDev -27.5%

A: poured a nice orange haze. good head, but minimal lacing.

S: nice rye with minimal hops

T: actually pretty malty on the backend, but finishes really watery.

M: too carbonated for me

O: probably the worst rye I've had. VERY VERY mellow. There was really hardly any hops to this at all.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

Rye Hatter

Served in New Belgium tulip

A: Pours clear light amber with big, fluffy head that shows decent retention. A little bubbly.

S:  Light notes of grapefruit, tea, other citrus, and some toasted malts. The nose is fairly subdued on this beer.

T: Sweet, spicy rye and toasted malts, in that order. Tea and citrus appear intermittently on palate. Medium-high bitterness with spicy, dry finish. A strange dirty note keeps presenting itself. Not sure what to make of it.

M: Medium body and carbonation.  Oddly enough,y  a little heavy. Somewhat drying.

O: Rye Hatter has some complication to it and drinks reasonably well, yet it strikes me as very average. The dirty/earthy note keeps distracting me, too.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

A- pours an amber color with a finger and a half of off white head that recedes into a thin cap of bubbles.

S- spicey rye aromas with a hint of caramel sweetness initialy. On the back of the bottle it says that they dry hopped it. If they did they must have thrown in maybe a handfull of hops because the hop aroma is very weak. Slightly citrus with an overall grassy hop aroma.

T- The rye comes out nicely in the flavor with a note of caramel malt. Toasted bread malt characters with a spicey note. Again weak hops and mild bitterness. Finish is dry with a herbal hop flavor lasting into the aftertaste.

MF- The mouthfeel is great. Smooth and creamy. Average carbonation and a slightly thin medium body.

D- drinkable? Yes but I can think of many other brews I'd want to have. Overall pretty average.

D-

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

This would not stop foaming and overflowing from the bottle. Pours dark reddish color, some ruby brown coming through the edges, with a big fluffy head of course. Smell is funky and spicy with a definite rye presence, light grass hops, and yeastyness. Something off about the flavor without much hop bitterness, some rye spice, yeast funk, very light watered down malts. Relatively light bodied with lots of bubbles. Not a huge fan of this one. Seems muddled.

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into snifter

Dissipates into a solid one finger head fairly rapidly. Is a murky orangish, reddish, amberish color.

Aroma is not a strong one, but I get some faint citrusy, floral aromas, mostly orange with a dash of lemon thrown in. A subtle aroma of rye spiciness.

Taste is pleasant, but nothing special. Get some citrus from the hops, but nothing near what I was expecting. Get a little bit of spiciness from the rye, and some light caramel malt notes.

Mouthfeel is adequate. The carbonation seems just right, but it seems a little on the light bodied side of what I thought would be good for this type of beer. Could use some more malt.

Overall, its a decent beer, but nothing really that stands out. I've had many other rye ipa's that have far outshined this one.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy copper orange with a big frothy creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet bready rye, some fruit and hops.

The flavor is sweet bready biscuit malts, rye spice, some fruit with slightly vegetal hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a decent rye pale.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

Moderately opaque copper color with a dash of brown when taken out of direct light. Has an off white, 3 finger head of frothed foam. Carbonation is ample.

Hops are moderately bright citrus and sweet. A spicy character that could be either the rye or a more earthy hop. I am concerned with a phenolic/band-aid like aroma coming frrom the brew. Bad bottle?

Whew; there is a large phenolic presence to this beer. Whether it is supposed to taste like plastic or not I don't know, but I would guess it isn't supposed to taste like this. I hope. Next to the taste of a hospital's floor there is some malty sweetness, though very little, and a sour taste that could be the rye. Bitterness is relatively high in the finish. I get some sweet and floral hops, but commingled with the plastic taste.

Sharp from the carbonation and dry in the finish.

I hope this is a bad bottle, but I can't see paying another $7 and getting another doozy. If I ever get a free one or find this one on tap somewhere I will re-review.

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%

2013 Vintage received in trade. I am worried...

Appearance - Pours a hazy rustic orange with a half a finger's width of sandstone colored head. Fair retention, breaking down to a thin, broken layer of surface suds.

Smell - Caramel and low, bitter earthiness.

Taste - Follows the nose to a T. Caramel malt base met by a leafy, earthy tea-like bitterness. Stale, woody finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with fair carbonation. Smooth, in the least.

Overall - I was wanting to try this brew, but unfortunately the guy I got it from missed the bottling date. This thing is way past it's prime. He's a good guy though, so I can't give him too much grief. Shows potential of what could have been, but unfortunately it's just too far gone. A certain candidate for re-review, but I doubt that will be anytime soon. PULL YOUR OUTDATED BREWS OFF THE SHELVES, DAMN IT!

3.25/5  rDev -14%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rye P.A. Hatter from New Holland Brewing Company