New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Black Tulip Trippel AleNew Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale Alström Bros
dacubz

harris4

07-13-2012 05:11:29 | More by harris4
HappyHourHero

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

Tall, creamy, off-white head sits atop the hazy golden beer. Smells like spring flowers mixed with faint yeast. Smooth, light mouthfeel that is full enough to carry the rich flavors. Vanilla, orange peel, a bit of yeast spiciness. Something about it reminds me of Popperings Hommel beer, which is a great thing. This is one tasty beer, but watch out for the alcohol!

11-27-2008 22:39:05 | More by HappyHourHero
optimistictour

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Perfect golden, thin head but thick lace, light but opaque, constant bubbles unfastened...

This smells of bananas, clove, sugar, wheat, and I don't know... subtle fruit hidden behind that elusive Belgian essence.

It tastes even better. Beyond the smells mentioned I'm feeling deep honey through and through.

The body is thicker than the opacity or hue convey. Smooth yet varied texture, mellowing out across the palate... it's velvet personified.

The thing about this beer is that the "overall" scores a 5 while the components do not. It adds up to something more complete and fulfilling than its components hint..

06-02-2012 07:15:32 | More by optimistictour
HeyItsChili

China

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bomber into a Chimay goblet. Pours a hazy golden with a nearly nonexistent white head.

S - Citrus, yeast, very subtle hops, another review mentioned banana, and that's definitely present.

T - Yeasty, very light malt, some subtle citrus, wheat, and spice. the dry finish is surprising and pleasant. Very well balanced.

M - Light carbonation, medium to thin bodied.

D - Delicious, subtle, strong.

12-14-2008 22:01:52 | More by HeyItsChili
paperbackfoster

Missouri

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Pours a honeyed, orange haze. Very cloudy. A generously fluffy two finger head falls back to one/one and a half with foamy, clingy retention on the way down.

S - Smells of the Belgian yeast content with fruit rind and dark sugar notes.

T - Candied fruits, tangy yeast. A very light tripel or weizen flavor. The sweetness is a raw one, like cane sugar - no doubt from the beet sugars New Holland promises. Whatever floral or spice you’d expect from any hopping seems absent, replaced with a clove flavor. While I wouldn’t say I find the usual banana flavor, there’s definitely a smooth “ripe” flavor over a base of spices.

M - Tingly from the sugar. Feels very big right in the middle, keeping you from guzzling this beer. The 9% ABV is well hidden.

O - This remains one of my favorite beers. I like the Americanized take on the trippel style - definitely beats out even some of the "true" trippels for me. The flavor is one of the most unique I've had, combining the style with aspects of a weizen, or even hefeweizen. I'd definitely recommend picking up a bottle, but the truly lucky will find it on tap. Even better.

08-23-2011 19:30:11 | More by paperbackfoster
gmfessen

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slightly hazy, pale golden color with a white creamy-looking head. Smell is sweet with Belgian sugar but at the same time has a nice hop presence, slightly citrusy/piney. Being a tripel, I expected a bit of alcohol and this was definitely the case. The taste does do a pretty good job of covering the alcohol until the very end. It starts out much like the smell, sweet with Belgian sugar and a bit of spice, transitioning to the hop presence and finishes very dry and with a definite strong alcohol bite. After a few drinks into the beer, the alcohol presence isn't as noticeable. The mouthfeel is fairly light in body but it has a dense carbonation that makes the beer feel heavier. Drinks like a light beer with awesome taste. I have to say I am very impressed with this beer, especially after trying their Blue Goat which I thought wasn't very impressive at all.

03-07-2007 22:00:00 | More by gmfessen
amanofbeer

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

The head at the pour was not deep or overly foamy...it fell right into place, like you would expect 5 minutes into the drink. The head is beautifully swirled on the surface, leaving thick syrupy lacing on the sides. Not always what I like in a beer, but for a Trippel it works wonderfully.

The smell was not overpowering in the least...but it gives a nice preface to the distinct malt characteristics this beer has. It reminds me of some wheat characteristics, which I find not to be the case at all. All barley as far as I can tell.

The taste was surprisingly (enjoyable none the less) funky to me. I still may lack a great understanding a the concept of Brett, but this is what I imagined it to be before trying a beer with Brettanomyces. All the same, nice and funky...and fruity! Dark, ripened fruits: pear, apple, as well as bread and honey...generally, just very dark and deep. I'm really wanting to know what they use for yeast...

The feel in the mouth is typical of a Tripel. Nice and thick, but this one only sticks in the back of the mouth, creating what I do truly enjoy in an aftertaste.

I originally ranked at a 4/5, but had to notch it up a half point after I realized how much I had drank without realizing...Amidst the thickness, this beer is very enjoyable, and very drinkable. Thanks Dan for recommending it to me; I have nothing to challenge your tastes of a new favorite beer.

08-11-2010 02:28:59 | More by amanofbeer
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

22 ounce bomber courtesy of shbobdb

Just to let you know, this is a very weird beer, but I loved it! I mean, it is so over the top and odd, but wowowow, give me more! I am way outside the statistical mean on this.

Appearance is rather like an American macro lager: clear amber color under large white head that fades pretty quickly. Only diff is that it's a bit more amber, and has a lot more lacing. But that's where the similarity ends.

Aroma is horsey, barnyard man-sweat locker-room funk with some biscuit malt and fruity hops. Wowow. Bring in the horse-brigade. Funkiest Trippel I've smelled. I love it. You can smell it across the room. Yeast, meaty, cheesy. Like beef jerky, almost.

Taste is more of the same. Funk, funk, funk. Biscuit, metallic hops, rich malt. What a great complexity. I would NEVER take this for a Trippel: Biere de Garde, yes; Trippel no. Not to style, but I love this. Spicey, firm flavors. This is a tonsil-whacking, tongue-smashing mouth-full of farm and barn tastiness. Funk-mongers gather 'round and revel in this funkalicious monstrosity! Note: 30 minutes after I finished the beer, the aroma from the glass is still lingering in the air, and taste is still lingering in my mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and round and lusciously slurpalicious.

Nine percent? Not even. Drinks like a Hefeweizen. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall, I really like funk, and this beer is the funkiest. Why it's called a Trippel, I don't understand. But, whatever the brewery calls it, I call for more of it. Thanks again to shbobdb for this terrific oddity. I WANT MORE OF THIS!

10-25-2006 05:02:49 | More by ColoradoBobs
smakawhat

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Vintage 2012.

Not much of a head is created on this, but what is remains a half finger of fluffy white, sitting on a nearly crystal clear body of orange and red, with a big gold hue to it. There is very little carbonation on this beer, it's sort of as it was stopped or frozen or something. Laces a little bit too at least.

Nose is a big wow. Chewy malt, sweet dense, and it's peppermint. Holly cow where does THAT come from? Some faint banana on there also, but luckily for me not much. I love this mint sweetness angle I am getting, I am in love.

Taste is rich, the malt angle hits with a density more towards a thick piece of sourdough bread minus sourness. Mint and cream comes out ooozing and silky. Playful wine like carbonation and spritzy character mix with a chewy density but not horrifically sugary, sweetness mixes with a cream and white pinot gris like grape. Good sense of warmth without overkill.

I want more, fark it, I am getting more.

07-26-2012 00:34:16 | More by smakawhat