New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Black Tulip Trippel AleNew Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

This is a table-talking, house-dividing, "sit down and let's take another look" beer. It's proof that beer snobbery is not a "real" thing, but rather a difference in palate. Oh- and it tastes ideal just below room temp and you need only order one. (247 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the Pig & Fiddle and from a 12 oz. bottle.
L: Pours brilliant amber under a 2” clingy white to cream colored persistent foam collar.
S: Smells like a springtime meadow with a floral, herbal earthiness.
T: Slightly sweet, fruit, caramel, traces of chocolate, hint of banana, citrus, lightly tart, traces of root beer.
F: Very smooth and creamy, medium full body, slightly above medium carbonation.
O: A big, full flavored, complex easy to drink beer. (471 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +22.3%

Tall, creamy, off-white head sits atop the hazy golden beer. Smells like spring flowers mixed with faint yeast. Smooth, light mouthfeel that is full enough to carry the rich flavors. Vanilla, orange peel, a bit of yeast spiciness. Something about it reminds me of Popperings Hommel beer, which is a great thing. This is one tasty beer, but watch out for the alcohol! (366 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bomber into a Chimay goblet. Pours a hazy golden with a nearly nonexistent white head.

S - Citrus, yeast, very subtle hops, another review mentioned banana, and that's definitely present.

T - Yeasty, very light malt, some subtle citrus, wheat, and spice. the dry finish is surprising and pleasant. Very well balanced.

M - Light carbonation, medium to thin bodied.

D - Delicious, subtle, strong. (417 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Perfect golden, thin head but thick lace, light but opaque, constant bubbles unfastened...

This smells of bananas, clove, sugar, wheat, and I don't know... subtle fruit hidden behind that elusive Belgian essence.

It tastes even better. Beyond the smells mentioned I'm feeling deep honey through and through.

The body is thicker than the opacity or hue convey. Smooth yet varied texture, mellowing out across the palate... it's velvet personified.

The thing about this beer is that the "overall" scores a 5 while the components do not. It adds up to something more complete and fulfilling than its components hint.. (619 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slightly hazy, pale golden color with a white creamy-looking head. Smell is sweet with Belgian sugar but at the same time has a nice hop presence, slightly citrusy/piney. Being a tripel, I expected a bit of alcohol and this was definitely the case. The taste does do a pretty good job of covering the alcohol until the very end. It starts out much like the smell, sweet with Belgian sugar and a bit of spice, transitioning to the hop presence and finishes very dry and with a definite strong alcohol bite. After a few drinks into the beer, the alcohol presence isn't as noticeable. The mouthfeel is fairly light in body but it has a dense carbonation that makes the beer feel heavier. Drinks like a light beer with awesome taste. I have to say I am very impressed with this beer, especially after trying their Blue Goat which I thought wasn't very impressive at all. (918 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +20.2%

22 ounce bomber courtesy of shbobdb

Just to let you know, this is a very weird beer, but I loved it! I mean, it is so over the top and odd, but wowowow, give me more! I am way outside the statistical mean on this.

Appearance is rather like an American macro lager: clear amber color under large white head that fades pretty quickly. Only diff is that it's a bit more amber, and has a lot more lacing. But that's where the similarity ends.

Aroma is horsey, barnyard man-sweat locker-room funk with some biscuit malt and fruity hops. Wowow. Bring in the horse-brigade. Funkiest Trippel I've smelled. I love it. You can smell it across the room. Yeast, meaty, cheesy. Like beef jerky, almost.

Taste is more of the same. Funk, funk, funk. Biscuit, metallic hops, rich malt. What a great complexity. I would NEVER take this for a Trippel: Biere de Garde, yes; Trippel no. Not to style, but I love this. Spicey, firm flavors. This is a tonsil-whacking, tongue-smashing mouth-full of farm and barn tastiness. Funk-mongers gather 'round and revel in this funkalicious monstrosity! Note: 30 minutes after I finished the beer, the aroma from the glass is still lingering in the air, and taste is still lingering in my mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and round and lusciously slurpalicious.

Nine percent? Not even. Drinks like a Hefeweizen. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall, I really like funk, and this beer is the funkiest. Why it's called a Trippel, I don't understand. But, whatever the brewery calls it, I call for more of it. Thanks again to shbobdb for this terrific oddity. I WANT MORE OF THIS! (1,605 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is surprisingly a good tripel with no aftertaste. If i did a blind taste test, i would have guessed allagash or ommegang. It is very smooth and drinkable. I was sad when the beer was gone. (193 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Vintage 2012.

Not much of a head is created on this, but what is remains a half finger of fluffy white, sitting on a nearly crystal clear body of orange and red, with a big gold hue to it. There is very little carbonation on this beer, it's sort of as it was stopped or frozen or something. Laces a little bit too at least.

Nose is a big wow. Chewy malt, sweet dense, and it's peppermint. Holly cow where does THAT come from? Some faint banana on there also, but luckily for me not much. I love this mint sweetness angle I am getting, I am in love.

Taste is rich, the malt angle hits with a density more towards a thick piece of sourdough bread minus sourness. Mint and cream comes out ooozing and silky. Playful wine like carbonation and spritzy character mix with a chewy density but not horrifically sugary, sweetness mixes with a cream and white pinot gris like grape. Good sense of warmth without overkill.

I want more, fark it, I am getting more. (999 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours a honeyed, orange haze. Very cloudy. A generously fluffy two finger head falls back to one/one and a half with foamy, clingy retention on the way down.

S - Smells of the Belgian yeast content with fruit rind and dark sugar notes.

T - Candied fruits, tangy yeast. A very light tripel or weizen flavor. The sweetness is a raw one, like cane sugar - no doubt from the beet sugars New Holland promises. Whatever floral or spice you’d expect from any hopping seems absent, replaced with a clove flavor. While I wouldn’t say I find the usual banana flavor, there’s definitely a smooth “ripe” flavor over a base of spices.

M - Tingly from the sugar. Feels very big right in the middle, keeping you from guzzling this beer. The 9% ABV is well hidden.

O - This remains one of my favorite beers. I like the Americanized take on the trippel style - definitely beats out even some of the "true" trippels for me. The flavor is one of the most unique I've had, combining the style with aspects of a weizen, or even hefeweizen. I'd definitely recommend picking up a bottle, but the truly lucky will find it on tap. Even better. (1,137 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +18.8%

The head at the pour was not deep or overly foamy...it fell right into place, like you would expect 5 minutes into the drink. The head is beautifully swirled on the surface, leaving thick syrupy lacing on the sides. Not always what I like in a beer, but for a Trippel it works wonderfully.

The smell was not overpowering in the least...but it gives a nice preface to the distinct malt characteristics this beer has. It reminds me of some wheat characteristics, which I find not to be the case at all. All barley as far as I can tell.

The taste was surprisingly (enjoyable none the less) funky to me. I still may lack a great understanding a the concept of Brett, but this is what I imagined it to be before trying a beer with Brettanomyces. All the same, nice and funky...and fruity! Dark, ripened fruits: pear, apple, as well as bread and honey...generally, just very dark and deep. I'm really wanting to know what they use for yeast...

The feel in the mouth is typical of a Tripel. Nice and thick, but this one only sticks in the back of the mouth, creating what I do truly enjoy in an aftertaste.

I originally ranked at a 4/5, but had to notch it up a half point after I realized how much I had drank without realizing...Amidst the thickness, this beer is very enjoyable, and very drinkable. Thanks Dan for recommending it to me; I have nothing to challenge your tastes of a new favorite beer. (1,400 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a decent white head that it maintains throughout the glass, leaving heavy mapping in it's wake.
Aromas are Belgium yeast and some definite spiciness...hard to identify, but spicy. Spiced candied orange, perhaps?
Flavors are creamy triple Belgium candied pale malts (enough adjectives?), again candied orange, and slight hop bitterness on the end.
Nicely sweet yet dry aftertaste.
Really nice American take. (421 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

Brewed with 2-row malt, Belgian candy sugar, Czech Saaz, German Magnum, and German "Select" hops.
OG=19.4 P. 9.0% ABV. IBU=49.1

Oooh, I am intrigued. Nice looking label with a black tulip (Holland, Michigan is the Tulip Capital of the US). Pours out to a lightly cloudy, lightly carbonated straw golden, forming a whipped white head following a vigorous pour. Retention is ok, and lacing is fair. Carbonation is mild for the style which is a plus in my book. Smell is of mild belgian funk, bavarian wheat yeast tang, very spicy cloves, sweet pale malts, and sour green apples. Lovely aroma. I am really impressed by the taste here too. There is a strong bavarian wheat taste, spicy yet mild crisp flavor hops, tart sour green apples with a slight funky mustiness and apple peel astringency, very mild oak astringency, and a slight aftertaste and slick mouthfeel of burnt rubber, all hovering over a solid pale malt background. The finish is clean yet quite spicy, and this brew has a tart yet soft mouthfeel with a medium-dense body. Great session beer..even the very last drops in the bottom of the glass taste wonderful. Very drinkable. Alcohol is imperceptable in aroma and taste. No off flavors.

Comparing the new to the old label, this one tends to have a little less bite and is smoother with minimal sourness, which I miss. I haven't tasted an American brewed trippel quite like this before, and I give props to New Holland BC for being experimental. They have brewed a wonderful trippel here. For not much more $ than a 6'er of Bud, you're getting a hell of a lot more beer. I will be drinking many more of these in the future for sure. Highly impressed! (1,669 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz brown bomber with no freshness date to be found.

A- Hazed dusty golden color, thin lacing with a bit of stickage on the glass.

S- A kiss of phenols up front with higher alcohol aromas of vanilla, rose water and pineapple. Apple peachy fruitiness mixes well with a honey-like pale malt.

T&M- Crisp and smooth with a creamy back-end, medium body and the carbonation is spot on. Light on the phenols with more of an herbal rather than medicinal character. A little clove spiciness. Ample hops lay down some bitterness, light honey malt sweetness and a warming alcohol all seem to mesh well together. Alcohol is a tad hot though there are no crazy fusel qualities ... clean solvent maybe. Mild apple and pineapple fruitiness, finishes dry.

D- Damn, it is about time I had an other American brewed Tripel that rivals Belgian brewed Triples. I'll have to save my other bottle and pit this one against Westmalle next time. Very enjoyable to say the least. (966 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.5%

A - A slightly burnt golden color with a attractive soft white head that doesn't stick around for too long. Very cloudy with a few bubbles and specks hanging out at the bottom of the goblet.

S - Like heaven. Very hard to resist taking a big gulp after putting it my nose. Fruity, a little malt, very zesty with kick of candy and citrus. Would make an appealing aftershave.

T - A full bodied tangy sweetness, definitely a little clove and spice going, and a slight hops and malt finish. I'm digging this.

M - Very smooth for such a big beer. Leaves a somewhat dry aftertaste from the hops, which really, just makes me wanna take another sip.

D - Wow. I had no idea going in this was 9% ABV. This could spell trouble if you don't be careful. Dynamite stuff, will definitely drink again. (789 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

It is a beautiful pour. Golden hazy with a bright white head that disappears quickly. Small amount of lacing. It smells sweet and fruity. The yeast is very present. You can taste the malt and the fruit. there is a slight spice back note but not much. It has a full mouth fell with a great finish. I hear its not going to be around any more, I could definitely drink another bottle. (381 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is phenomenal. Period. When I think of what I'd like in a Belgian golden, this beer checks all my boxes. I don't always want a sweet beer, but I drink predominately 1 and 2x Ipa's. So once in a while I want something sweeter, more fruity, but not quite as dense as an imperial stout, I go for a Belgian golden. I personally cannot understand any rating under a 4 for this beer. Candy and some clove in the nose. Sweetness up front that melts into ripe banana and almost a sweet green apple. Very minimal alcohol heat, although the one I'm drinking is over a year old so that may have mellowed out. Awesome beer. (621 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

Sampled from a 22 oz. bomber. Drank from a Duvel glass.

A: Lots of carbonation...about a half finger head. Golden in color...

S: sugar, sweet, plum (grapes--white wine), fruity...some hoppy notes coming through...slightly astringent, but not overpowering. Caramel notes coming through...

T: bitter-sweet. thick sugar sweetness on the back of the tongue...caramel, plum, dried fruit sugar...taste is wonderful. Carbonation still holding out through the taste (may be a result of the Duvel glass). Man, this is a treat...am really enjoying this brew.

Overall: This is a beer I will buy again...not quite as funky as a tru Belgian, but damn tasty. Creamy and delicious...can't wait to find this again. (702 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Crystal clear gold color, streams of carbonation, sitcky white lace left behind after a fast fading head.

Smell: Rich, fruity belgian yeast, very pungent and spicey.

Taste: A big flavored beer, much grapefruit and citrus, pepper and strong hops. Maybe the hops are too big with Belgian versions, but this is definitely Americanized, and I like it anyways.

Drinkability: A rich and enjoyable beer, a surefire sipper. Worth a shot, I would go back to enjoy more of this. (489 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one from a 22 oz brown bomber bottle with the Black Tulip label screened in white.

A= This brew poured a slightly orangey gold color with a very very mild haze, medium carbonation, and a thin white head. Lacing down the glass was a bit spotty at best.

S= This one sports a three way aroma of Belgian yeast funk, alcohol, and surprising hops (wow). The hops are the most surprising, as I am not used to this much pineappley hop-forward aroma in a trippel, yet it works very well.

T= Again, though this is a trippel (and a good one at that) there is a stronger than you would expect hop presence in the flavor (saaz perhaps). Overall this hop character combined with the Belgian fruitiness creates an herbal phenolic taste. Also present was the expected malt sweetness and a strong alcohol warmth. All flavors in complete and pleasant balance.

MF= Despite only moderate carbonation release throughout, this is a beautifully crisp and refreshing beer.

D= Though this is not exactly like too many Belgian Trippels I have had, it is more Belgian than most American interpretations. The hops are the kicker - sort of makes me think of the Chouffe "double IPA trippel" beer (only less hoppy). Completely worthwhile... I'll be drinking more of this one!!! (1,271 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16%

pours a cloudy light orange color with a nice white head, looks really beautiful in color. smell is good too, has a wonderful yeasty presence to it as well. taste is awesome, it dances on the tongue and kicks its butt with an overload of yeast, sugary malt, and a slight hoppy bitterness to it. a wonderful tasting beer. (320 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Acquired from via trade from feloniousmonk, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy orange/gold color, with a large foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of citrus, apples, bananas, Belgian yeast, light malts, some spice and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced and starts with sweet flavors of apples and citrus followed by the bready but not too heavy flavors of Belgian yeast and a hearty malt character. There's some spice in the background and a mild but complimentary hops presence. The alcohol is subtly detected but it doesn't really take away from the taste. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style. Like several of the beers I've been drinking lately, this one got a little buried in my stash and picked up a little bit of age as a result. I've had mixed results in aging Tripels, but I think the age has served this particular beer well. (1,169 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Served on tap at KClinger's in Etters. The color was golden, with a wispy white head. The smell was sweet and estery. The taste started with a very nice tartness, then the esters and sweetness picked up in the taste; there was just a bit of a coriander, and very little alcohol. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, this is one that I feel like I could really have several of.

A very nice tripel from Michigan. I've definitely appreciated the other beers that I've had from New Holland, and this was a fine addition. I just hope to see the New Holland products more regularly in the Pittsburgh market. (611 characters)

On tap at the Geneva Ale House - Geneva, IL

Poured a cloudy golden-orange color with a fluffy, white head that holds great retention and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. Aromas are very pleasant with banana, Belgian Yeast, fresh flowers. Tastes are well balanced with notes of banana, Belgian yeast, spice, grass, tulips. Mouth-feel is velvety smooth, medium bodied, finishes spicy with a sharp tingle on the tongue. Alcohol is undetectable in taste, but is warming. Aftertaste is somewhat odd, yet pleasant, presumably the tulip flavor lingering. It's not off-putting, just different. Overall, I really enjoyed this unique ale. It's seems light and refreshing, yet it's bold with the high ABV. Flavors meld perfectly. I've had other beers brewed with flowers, and never really liked them much as the flower was overwhelming. This was not. Stellar treat on tap! (867 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Slight haze to a dark golden colored body. 1 inch head that sticks around for awhile. Good carbonation made up of very tiny bubbles.

Smell: Lots of vanilla in the aroma. I'm guessing that New Holland uses the same yeast for Black Tulip as they do for Pilgrim's Dole, as it has a fairly similar smell.

Taste: I've definitely never had a tripel quite like this before. Very thick, creamy, and smooth with more vanilla in the taste.

Don't pass this one up. (516 characters)

New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale from New Holland Brewing Company