New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Black Tulip Trippel AleNew Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

2012 vintage. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head which fades quickly, decent lacing and retention. The aromas are full of honey and yeast. There's alot of sugars in the nose as well blended with a touch of banana and bubblegum. The flavors are bittersweet. Yes, the sugars are there and has a fresh sweetness going on, but there's a strong bitterness that lingers. I'm picking up some cloves along with a touch of black pepper. This one finishes pretty dry with a touch a booze. It doesn't taste bad, it's just very one-note and lacks true depth. The mouthfeel is nice, but the carbonation isn't as active as I'd expect from the style. It's still feels nice and pretty darn smooth. I'd say it's on the heavier side of medium-bodied. It doesn't really have much of a syrypy quality, which is a plus. I'll admit, it gets better the more I drink, but it's still not something I'm really impressed with. I'm trying to find something to love with every sip.

I've personally come across more enjoyable American interpretations of the style. I also think $4/12oz bottle is a little steep when I can get a real interpretation of the style from Belgium for the same price. This can be an enjoyable beer, but just don't expect something that rivals overseas. Average says it all.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden colored with an ever so creamy head of marshmallow fluff on top. Awesome retention with some nice lacing.

The smell is yeasty and earthy with clove and banana.

Huge flavor here. Sweet candy and honey, earthy, peppery and spice with clove, banana and booze. Some sweet vanilla bean and spice coming in at the end. Great depth.

Soft creamy feel, close to a medium body with a dry feel.

Really surprised at how good this is. Almost a cross between a hefe and a tripel. The flavor is outstanding and the price is great too for such a quality brew.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Perfect golden, thin head but thick lace, light but opaque, constant bubbles unfastened...

This smells of bananas, clove, sugar, wheat, and I don't know... subtle fruit hidden behind that elusive Belgian essence.

It tastes even better. Beyond the smells mentioned I'm feeling deep honey through and through.

The body is thicker than the opacity or hue convey. Smooth yet varied texture, mellowing out across the palate... it's velvet personified.

The thing about this beer is that the "overall" scores a 5 while the components do not. It adds up to something more complete and fulfilling than its components hint..

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Black Tulip Tripel Ale a couple weeks ago for $3.89 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while now so I was happy when New Holland decided to release this beer again, I lover this style, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage, Spring Release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's well done and it catches the eye. It poured a nice darker golden color that was a little hazy and took on a nice bright amber color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This a pretty damn good looking Tripel, I have no complaints.

S- This beer has a pretty intense aroma, it starts off sweet with a nice combination of different fruit juices, there's some apple, pear, and a little bit of white grape. After that comes the yeast which imparts all those nice spicy aspects that you would expect from the style, cloves seems to stick out the most. Towards the end I get some banana along with some light bubble gum aromas, along with beet sugar, which doesn't seem much different from Belgian candied sugar. This is Tripel has a good aroma that is very true to style, I think it's nice.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma, it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness, there's some slight malty flavors that quickly give way to some banana flavors. Next up is the Belgian yeast which imparts a medium amount of spices with cloves sticking out the most. Towards the end I get some more sweetness from the beet sugar and a slight bit of alcohol mixed in with the sweetness. It had a lower amount of bitterness with sweet and banana flavored aftertaste. This is an average tasting Tripel, it was too sweet and not as full flavored as the better Tripels.

M- Not that smooth, some cloying sweetness, a little creamy, a little chewy, on the medium side of being full bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The Mouthfeel was Ok, but I wish it wasn't so cloying.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought that it was a pretty average example of the style, there were some good aspects with this beer but when it came to the taste it started to go down hill. This beer didn't have good drinkability, the sweetness and booze made it not that smooth and the flavors just couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very true to style and nicely done. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, too sweet and a little bland, pretty rough around the edges. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have Arbor's Phat Abbot, it's cheaper and much better tasting. I was a little let down with this beer, I was expecting a nice Tripel, and that's what I got till I got to the taste, then it went down hill. I had their Beer Hive Tripel and didn't care for it, and this one seemed to follow suit but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Beer Hive. In my opinion Phat Abbot is still the best Michigan made Tripel. New Holland can make some pretty good beers, but when it comes to Tripel's they always fall short, maybe this style just isn't for you guys, better luck next time.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

This pours a light golden color and somewhat fizzy. The smell is mostly sweet fruit juices, led by apple, pear, and white grape. The taste also is heavy on apple and pear, with some peppery spiciness and slight clove flavors. Alcohol is hidden very well, and only slightly noticeable towards the finish. There is a slight hops presence towards the finish as well.

This is very tasty and easy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Pours a dark, hazy gold with an extremely thin, fizzy white mousse. I would have liked to see greater head retention, but honestly didn't expect it, as this beer has been cellared for some time.

S: Aromas of caramel, lemon, oranges in syrup, candy sugar, and earthy, tobacco-tinged hops fill the nose.

T: Notes of caramel, lemon, oranges in syrup, candy sugar, lime, chalk, grass, anise, and tobacco wash across the palate. The finish is bright and fruity with lemon, lime, and orange notes. In terms of taste, this is a perfect tripel.

M: Surprisingly dry, firm, and full-bodied for the style. Carbonation is gentle and unobtrusive. Alcohol presence is rather subdued, making this dangerously drinkable despite its strength.

O: This is really an excellent little tripel, and is one of the few American tripels I have encountered that perfectly nails the classic flavor components of the style. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone interested in Belgian ales.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle from last batch in May '10

A: Pours a 2 finger fluffy white head that settles to just a white ridge along the sides of the glass. Color is great- a slightly cloudy pale orangey yellow color.

S: Tangy and sweet. Almost like an orange peel and mango rock candy. Clean.

T: Pineapple, apple, yeast, peppery. The hearty backbone of the Belgian yeast and malt take back seat to the citrus flavors. This is definitely an American take on the style. Aftertaste leaves a slightly sweet coating.

M: Medium and moderately carbonated. Surprisingly light given the high ABV. Finishes smooth and slightly dry.

O: The dimensions of this beer combine to make something really special. Goes down o so smooth. I'm not sure that is closely aligns with the Tripel style, but I think New Holland has created something special with Black Tulip. I will look forward to its return.

New Holland Black Tulip Trippel Ale from New Holland Brewing Company