New Holland Hopivore - New Holland Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010

3.62/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at De Nova in Montclair, NJ. Beer is kind of all over the place. A little muted as compared to other stronger APAs. Still a a tasty concoction I must say (164 characters)

L: Pours brilliant copper tinted amber under a 3” off white foam collar that dissipates to a thick, clingy film. S: Grassy hops. T: Big herbal hop flavors, some vegetal flavor, a bitter accent on the finish. F: Medium body, medium carbonation. O: Big on hop flavor and bitterness. (282 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +18%

Appearance - 4/5
A very clear copper-red-orange. At least one finger of head, which lasts for a while. Can see a lot of carbonation rising up through the beer. Some small particles floating around the beer.

Smell - 3.7/5
Pine-citrus hops, a little bit of smooth caramel malts.

Taste - 4/5
Mellow pine-citrus hops, with a bit of sweet malts along with a tiny bit of alcohol taste. When I say 'mellow' I think I mean smooth and slightly toned-down, rather than bitter and intense. I don't know a lot about what wet-hopping is, but if this is the result, I like it. The hops do feel more smooth and fresh.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
This beer is very smooth and creamy, something that's rather unique for a Pale Ale from my experience. The carbonation is light. The beer is medium to full bodied. Overall an excellent feel.

Overall - 4/5
This was a very refreshing beer. The hops were no overpowering, but rather were much more mellow, and combined with the smoothness/creaminess of the beer and its full-body, this was a great PA. For someone who doesn't really love hops, but still enjoys them from time to time, or when done in the right way, this beer is great. The hops don't overpower, but the taste is still present, and there is little bitterness. This is a nice brew. (1,267 characters)

Pours a hazy golden amber. Small frothy head that disciples quickly. Nice carbonation.
Sweet fruit, malts, hops, pepper aroma.
Fresh hop, grapes, pepper,grant Smith apple taste. Carmel back.
Slick, sweet and semi dry mouth feel. There's a nice bitterness in the back.
Sorry, I'm not site what a wet hop is supposed to taste like, wish I did, but this isn't a bad Farmhouse Ale. (377 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

an all wet hopped pale, i expected a lot more from this, although being lat january now, the wet hop beers still around have all likely faded a bit, if not quite a bit. bright sunny colored beer with a frothing white head that dies pretty fast. the nose is vegetal hops, fresh enough, but not all that distinct, and certainly lacking that fruity sappy oil complexion i look for from the wet ones. the flavor too, really subtle on the hop front, taste for sure, its good beer, but the hops are not front and center and immediately identifiable as of the wet variety, which was a major let down in this one. all hops from michigan apparently too, i would have liked to taste more of them as i did not know it was much of a hop region. i liked the beer as a pale ale, light and refreshing with a good bitter back end, but as a wet hop beer it really under performed for me. still, glad new holland is in our market now, they make some really solid beers. (951 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors." Brewed in the style of an American Wet Hopped Harvest Ale. Available in 12 oz. bottled 4 packs and limited draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a New Holland tulip glass. Served above 47 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp foamy head of a pale caramel white color over a deep amber body with mild haziness and spritely carbonation. Retention is good and lacing is light and spotty. 4

(Smell) Peppery, herbal and musty hops with a moderate bitterness atop a biscuity and syrupy medium caramel backbone. Fairly unspectacular and difficult to discern this as a wet hopped ale apart from weaker or old dry hopped IPAs due to the mild and depreciated nature of the hop profile. Potency is moderate. 3.5

(Taste) More musty, peppery and dank hops with a mild bitterness atop a biscuity malt with a pinch of grain and caramel bread. Pleasingly reserved on the sweetness of the malt profile for an easy drinking and flavorful malt character, however the hop profile is unusually shallow for a harvest ale. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, mildly chewy, faintly dry. Carbonation generates a subtle frothiness for a smooth, silky mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, medium overall. Balance is evenly bitter and sweet. Alcohol presence is mild, no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) Surprisingly unimpressive harvest ale, especially not worth the inflated price tag when you can get superior harvest ales for a fraction of the price. 3.5

New Holland Brewing Company's
Hopivore Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale
3.53/5.00 (1,701 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a dark amber color. Darker than I would like in an APA and closer to what I would expect in a strong Imperial IPA. The beer is very clear and shows some good carbonation. A moderate head turns into a very thin lace.

S: The aroma is primarily dark fruity hops and toasted malts with some resin. Not as strong a hop aroma as most of the wet hop ales that I have been drinking.

T: The taste up front is crisp and tastes of muscat grapes and currant. The body retains some strong toasty malts and light resin flavors mix in with the fruit flavors. The finish has a stronger pine resin flavor and the resin lingers very lightly on the aftertaste. Nothing unpleasant, but it is a bit malty for an APA and the dark fruit flavors that I'm enjoying are too subtle.

F: The mouthfeel is rather thick for a pale ale. Good carbonation buzzing around and a crisp dry finish. For the style I desire a lighter feel on the tongue.

O: Not a bad beer by any means, but some elements are closer to an Imperial IPA without the hop strength to carry it. It is well balanced and I like the dark fruit notes and they help it stand out from the glut of grapefruit and tropical flavors that I've been drinking, but I just don't like it as much as the other wet hop ales this season and find it a bit lackluster for a 4-pack. If you like darker fruit flavors, you will probably enjoy this beer. I personally like this beer, but don't love it. I probably would if the dark fruit notes were more prominent.

This beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx. 50F. (1,578 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy copper/apricot in color, with a big blooming head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Whiff of herbal hops
Taste-Herbal, earthy hops, subtle malt backbone, hopleaf finish. A bit unbalanced and leaning towards the bitter end of things. (286 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +25.4%

Just as the sea will eventually disgorge its dead, my kitchen is beginning to unleash beers that I have no idea from whence they came. It is my pleasure to open and review these treasures and I only wish that I could participate in New Beer Sunday, but I am currently in Persona Non Grata status.

From the bottle: "Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale"; "Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors."

As with my earlier bottle of Mad Hatter, I could see strands of something in suspension, so I again employed a VERY gentle pour. The trade-off for clarity is the loss of head. In peering into the glass, I noticed an oh-so-slight haze in the deep-copper color (SRM = ~ 17), so I can only wonder what might have occurred with a heavier hand. Nose smelled like tea! I mean that in a good way, BTW. I have had hop tea before and not only is it totally mellow, but this is exactly what it smelled like. I am getting excited as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was minty fresh, reinforcing my claim of hop tea. I can understand why this may not be an APA for everyone, but I was digging it. Once again, I was not experiencing a lot of malt, but while others dun this as "unbalanced", I would prefer that little to nothing stand between me and my precious hops. The finish was extremely dry and minty, and I was reminded of picking fresh mint with my aunt many years ago. Phew! Again, I get that it may not be for everyone, but I liked it. My last pour was, indeed, sludgy, but not as bad as I had expected. Remember, if you want to be a regular guy, drink your lees! (1,711 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was fooled by the name and the packing on this beer. Shame on me, I should have done my homework. I put down a mini keg of Bell's Best Brown to buy this crap. Since it was sold in 4 packs, and with a name like Hopivore, being very familiar with most New Holland's offerings, I expected something entirely different. I am so disappointed with this purchase. It's probably fine for an APA, but how the hell would you know when New Holland doesn't list ABV or IBU on their beers?!?!

A: Caramel amber with a less than average head, some lacing on the pint glass.
S: Nothing much going on here. Where the hell are my hops? The beer's name is Hopivore? It should be Maltivore.
T: Meh, I am so not impressed. I was mildly excited to find a wet hopped beer after having a few Founders Harvest Ales recently. This beer is a totally different category.
M: Nothing special. Again, this might be an OK beer in the APA style, but I'm so disappointed by the purchase, I really can't give this a fair score.
O: Never again. Thanks for nothing New Holland! (1,046 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear copper color with hues of amber. Lacing is okay. The head amounted to a solid inch.

Pine and floral hops. Not especially hoppy. Malts are entrenched in semi-dry caramel. Okay.

Spiny pine and floral hop bitterness, compiled by drier flavors despite a sweeter caramel malt base. Malt punch like biscuits and some vegetal notes. Has a hint of stone fruits. Almost faintly tart.

Sips okay, mostly because it's thin. Carbonation is low, too. Generic feel for a harvest IPA.

Okay. Nothing to look forward to, with all due respect. (542 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap in a pint glass.

Pours a clear medium amber with not much in the way of a head or lacing.

Aroma is quite fruity with some pine notes thrown in.

There is a bit of candy sweetness up front in the flavor with more citrus in there behind. Bitterness is on the moderate side with a slightly sticky mouthfeel and finish.

Overall, a pretty good beer but it comes up a bit short when compared to some other harvest ales out there. Not really one to seek out. (465 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Bottled September 26, 2013 [code I263], poured into snifter.

A: Very foggy amber color, half finger of frothy off-white head with spots of lacing.

S: Really faint smell, I get a bit of pine hops, caramel malts, and must, but not much beyond that.

T: Again, not a lot going on here. It's stronger than the nose, which is a plus, and it's based around the pine and caramel flavors from before. A little earthy and herbal.

M: On the lighter side of medium-bodied with lively carbonation; pretty smooth and with a nice dry finish.

O: This beer doesn't do anything offensively bad, but it's pretty limited across the board. Not that I'm docking the beer for this, but it's pretty mild given its name. The nice mouthfeel can't save it, but it did make this one pretty easy to drink. (783 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

A clean amber pour with a finger of off white head, slow dissipation but not much lacing. Smells wonderful, a nice caramel malt aroma, nutty, bready, with floral notes and fresh cut grass from the hops. The flavor is a citrusy sweetness up front with a delicious malt backbone. Biscuity but with a hint of roasted fruits.
Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.
Overall this is a great fresh hop ale. On par with celebration as one of my favorite winter seasonals. (472 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured with a dark copper to light brown this ale had a fizzy thin head but laced with a cottony foam.

The scent was for the most part weak with very little overall hop character. It was pleasant enough with some floral and pine but was absent of any real strength.

The flavor seemed to hold a hop bitterness with light floral notes. The hop taste is more prevalent to the malt but it is relatively subdued compared to the description.

The feel holds a nice smooth texture with very little astringency and a moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink this ale does not set itself apart from so many other in the style. (619 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a cloudy deep amber with a two-finger off white head. Nice head retention and a good amount of lacing.

S - Caramel malts with faint pine and citrus hops.

T - Sweet malts In the beginning followed by a piney bitter aftertaste. Bitterness lingers on the tongue.

M - Medium carbonation with a light watery mouthfeel. Finish is sticky and dry.

O - Just okay. I was expecting a little more hop punch. Probably will pass on it next year. (445 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

OK, just OK. Looks pretty good - a nice burnt orange color - and the scent is mildly citric, but besides that, a pretty unremarkable beer. I was excited to try this wet hop beer brewed with Michigan-grown hops, but disappointed to find a rather bland tasting beer - not only for the style but more generally. I don't know what the problem is - the hops, the brewing?. New Holland hasn't made a bad beer. I'd take this over a lot of beers, but I'll never pay for it again, and neither should you. (495 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I find this to be a fine drinkable beer. I think the overall rating is a little low permy impression, but I can kinda see why. This might be rated higher as a pale ale, but who knows.

Pours amber, and I don't get much from the nose, maybe a little earthy.
The taste is dry and earthy combined with a sweet honey-malt in the beginning. The bitterness of lemon and grass bites into this later in the taste, but the sweet front tries to hold on. The bitter-sweet combo does lend to a slightly weird taste, which affects an otherwise slightly dry pull in the mouth. (562 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -30.5%

12oz bottle poured into a tupip. Pours a hazy glowing copper with a nice white head that sticks around and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are full of caramel malts. The aromas doesn't have much of a fruity nose, although there is a decent amount of orange peel that blends with the caramel. The flavors are pretty malty. More hints of orange. Subtle hints of grass and pine. The flavors aren't too bitter. There's not bite at all. It can be considered "refreshing". Mouthfeel nice is on the lighter side of medium-bodied; active carbonation. It drinks smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This just doesn't work. Aromas and flavors just don't pop at all. It's also not worth the price of admission. I rarely ever say to avoid a beer, but I'd personally pass on this, sorry. (784 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -9.6%

Copper brown color with great clarity. A thin layer of head partially covers the top of the beer. A faint dough like aroma is all I get with this beer. I also get a bit of caramel and dark cereal grain flavor and I get some bitterness from the hops at the back of the palate. The mouthfeel is a bit carbonated and due to it I get a lot of prickling on the tongue. Where is the fresh hop flavor or aroma? (403 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is bloody orange with amber highlights and appears cloudy. It has two inches of beige head.

S - I get some caramel malt.

T - The taste is more balanced. I notice the bitter hops first, but there is enough of a malt backbone to even it out. There is a bitter pine taste.

M - Medium

O - It is almost a bridge between an APA and an IPA. It is hoppy for a pale ale, but would not be considered hoppy for an IPA. It was well done. (484 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I didn't know this beer was limited / brewed once so I had to pick up another bottle and see what the deal is! Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Not as coppery as I would have imagined, based on other people's reviews. More towards an orange-reddish IPA look with a hint of copper haze. Hazy cloudy orange with about one finger of head, going down quick. Significant lacing.

S - Lemons. Pine hops. Smells very sticky and resinous.

T - Lemon, citrus, pine. Wonderful hop profile isn't over-dominant yet is still very much the ingredient in the foreground. The malts play an integral part, but this beer is so extremely well-balanced it might almost be ridiculous (in a good way).

M - Bitter, malty, hoppy, citrus flavors linger on the tongue and the palate for a minute.

Overall, this might be my favorite American Pale Ale so far. A better, more balanced, less heartburn-inducing version of the Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA. Very glad I decided to give this brew another chance, especially since I have been generally let down by New Holland brewing. If you see it, pick it up before they're all gone!

New Holland Hopivore ---4/5 (1,188 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: 1" head dwindles down to 1/4 " in 3 minutes - nice lacing. reddish copper - very clear
S: Fresh hop/harvest ale - nice malt backbone - pine w/ very slight cirtus - bit of pepper and earth
T: Slightly watery version of smell - bits of dark fruit - good malt complexity
M: Dry clean and polished - earthy but not grainy - fair carbonation - not slick

O: good rep of harvest ale, not necessarily IPA ish in the extreme Amercan sense - nice to drink and very good overall flavor (478 characters)

Poured into a pint
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of off-white head with good retention. Clear, reddish-brown liquid is redder and darker than I expected. Looks like an Amber, not an APA. Lighter and golder color please. Great head.
S: Delightful noble-earthy-herbal hop aroma with slight citrus edge. Great biscuit malt. Delectably balanced.
T: Malt forward with puckering hop bitterness dominating the middle and end. Caramel and slight roast dovetail in to the finish. Grapefruit in the finish as well. Not amber-like thankfuly. Very bitter.
M: Dry and bitter. Full and round. Multi-dimensional.
O: A nice wet-hopped ale. Not quite a pale ale though. Close. I would order another and might buy 6 for a party. (717 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

On draft into a pint
A- nice amber pour with white head and good lacing.
S- some pine & citrus hop, not as prominent as some American Pale Ales but moreso than a Belgian Pale...
T- hop forward with light citrus, earthy hops. Bitter finish.
M- good carbonation, just what you'd expect.
O- good, not great. Not for a true hop head and not as balanced as a great bpa, but solid and very drinkable. (397 characters)

New Holland Hopivore from New Holland Brewing Company