1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Hopivore - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland HopivoreNew Holland Hopivore

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 333 | Reviews: 134 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Fanhitter:
Fanhitter

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a goblet-like glass, Hopivore displays a rich, burnt red-orange with deep transparency; its a bit thin and syrupy. A light, bubbly head follows, measures up about a half inch and dissipates after a minute or so. This looks like a beer of legend, reminds me of drinking in Munich and seeing the monolithic liter glasses of dark German beer.

Smell is nothing spectacular, it's mild and musty, but not strong like dry hopped ales. The wet hop aroma is present, but nothing overpowering. It smells like a ripe beer, as I would imagine its recently bottled. I sense a mild tea/root beer aroma.

Taste is malty and lightly hoppy. The malt takes precedence on the pallet after a few sips. Whereas other hoppy beers have a pungent hoppy bite, this is very subtle and doesn't overpower or offend. I would recommend this beer to those friends that are steadfastly against IPAs but like stouts and ales (everyone knows one person...). It's an easy, smooth drink that fans of British bitters or dry ales would probably embrace before something dry hopped.

Mouthfeel is smooth, like a hand-pulled pub ale. It's a bit light with mild carbonation. It would suit the morning drinker in texture if a breakfast stout was too harsh. Enjoyable.

I've had other beers from New Holland with much more going on than this one, but I truly appreciate this beer for its subtlety, and enjoyed drinking it. I didn't feel like anything fruity, wildly hoppy, or brisk today, and I made the right decision with this beer. Although not a standout as far as other beers I've tried from NH, I would definitely drink this again. I'm sure it's an even smoother draft pint.

10-12-2012 23:52:43 | More by Fanhitter

LamboBrewpants

02-24-2014 23:57:14 | More by LamboBrewpants
hosehead83

3.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy copper/apricot in color, with a big blooming head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Whiff of herbal hops
Taste-Herbal, earthy hops, subtle malt backbone, hopleaf finish. A bit unbalanced and leaning towards the bitter end of things.

02-23-2014 17:48:22 | More by hosehead83
dsshuck

Maryland

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

02-16-2014 00:29:19 | More by dsshuck
woodychandler

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%

Just as the sea will eventually disgorge its dead, my kitchen is beginning to unleash beers that I have no idea from whence they came. It is my pleasure to open and review these treasures and I only wish that I could participate in New Beer Sunday, but I am currently in Persona Non Grata status.

From the bottle: "Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale"; "Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors."

As with my earlier bottle of Mad Hatter, I could see strands of something in suspension, so I again employed a VERY gentle pour. The trade-off for clarity is the loss of head. In peering into the glass, I noticed an oh-so-slight haze in the deep-copper color (SRM = ~ 17), so I can only wonder what might have occurred with a heavier hand. Nose smelled like tea! I mean that in a good way, BTW. I have had hop tea before and not only is it totally mellow, but this is exactly what it smelled like. I am getting excited as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was minty fresh, reinforcing my claim of hop tea. I can understand why this may not be an APA for everyone, but I was digging it. Once again, I was not experiencing a lot of malt, but while others dun this as "unbalanced", I would prefer that little to nothing stand between me and my precious hops. The finish was extremely dry and minty, and I was reminded of picking fresh mint with my aunt many years ago. Phew! Again, I get that it may not be for everyone, but I liked it. My last pour was, indeed, sludgy, but not as bad as I had expected. Remember, if you want to be a regular guy, drink your lees!

02-09-2014 14:05:01 | More by woodychandler

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

01-15-2014 02:18:20 | More by csmartin6
BreakfastStout

2.84/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was fooled by the name and the packing on this beer. Shame on me, I should have done my homework. I put down a mini keg of Bell's Best Brown to buy this crap. Since it was sold in 4 packs, and with a name like Hopivore, being very familiar with most New Holland's offerings, I expected something entirely different. I am so disappointed with this purchase. It's probably fine for an APA, but how the hell would you know when New Holland doesn't list ABV or IBU on their beers?!?!

A: Caramel amber with a less than average head, some lacing on the pint glass.
S: Nothing much going on here. Where the hell are my hops? The beer's name is Hopivore? It should be Maltivore.
T: Meh, I am so not impressed. I was mildly excited to find a wet hopped beer after having a few Founders Harvest Ales recently. This beer is a totally different category.
M: Nothing special. Again, this might be an OK beer in the APA style, but I'm so disappointed by the purchase, I really can't give this a fair score.
O: Never again. Thanks for nothing New Holland!

01-05-2014 20:43:53 | More by BreakfastStout
MikieV

01-01-2014 02:51:14 | More by MikieV
thecheapies

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear copper color with hues of amber. Lacing is okay. The head amounted to a solid inch.

Pine and floral hops. Not especially hoppy. Malts are entrenched in semi-dry caramel. Okay.

Spiny pine and floral hop bitterness, compiled by drier flavors despite a sweeter caramel malt base. Malt punch like biscuits and some vegetal notes. Has a hint of stone fruits. Almost faintly tart.

Sips okay, mostly because it's thin. Carbonation is low, too. Generic feel for a harvest IPA.

Okay. Nothing to look forward to, with all due respect.

12-26-2013 15:42:12 | More by thecheapies
instinct2

Indiana

12-26-2013 03:12:11 | More by instinct2
rangerred

Tennessee

3.79/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap in a pint glass.

Pours a clear medium amber with not much in the way of a head or lacing.

Aroma is quite fruity with some pine notes thrown in.

There is a bit of candy sweetness up front in the flavor with more citrus in there behind. Bitterness is on the moderate side with a slightly sticky mouthfeel and finish.

Overall, a pretty good beer but it comes up a bit short when compared to some other harvest ales out there. Not really one to seek out.

12-26-2013 02:32:58 | More by rangerred