New Holland Hopivore - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland HopivoreNew Holland Hopivore

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010)

4.75/5  rDev +40.5%

4.4/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep mahogany color with a thin head and plenty of lacing. Smell is of breadyness like pumpernickel maybe? and a light lemony hop. The taste is a fairly bitter hop and lemony citrus zest, with a somewhat sweet malty foundation. It is of a viscosity that I enjoy and a light carbonation that is refreshing. Overall I enjoy it though it is hard for me to not look at it and expect it to be an IPA but I would drink it again.

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

A_Nice golden amber color with a thin white head.Moderate lacing.

S_Floral,grassy hops and pale malt.

T_Same as the nose. Floral notes and grassy hops. Biscuit like malt with a hint of spiciness. Good balance of fresh hops with a hearty malt backbone.

M_Medium bodied with a crisp finish.

D_Very drinkable. Can't really make sense of the mediocre review.

4.23/5  rDev +25.1%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I didn't know this beer was limited / brewed once so I had to pick up another bottle and see what the deal is! Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Not as coppery as I would have imagined, based on other people's reviews. More towards an orange-reddish IPA look with a hint of copper haze. Hazy cloudy orange with about one finger of head, going down quick. Significant lacing.

S - Lemons. Pine hops. Smells very sticky and resinous.

T - Lemon, citrus, pine. Wonderful hop profile isn't over-dominant yet is still very much the ingredient in the foreground. The malts play an integral part, but this beer is so extremely well-balanced it might almost be ridiculous (in a good way).

M - Bitter, malty, hoppy, citrus flavors linger on the tongue and the palate for a minute.

Overall, this might be my favorite American Pale Ale so far. A better, more balanced, less heartburn-inducing version of the Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA. Very glad I decided to give this brew another chance, especially since I have been generally let down by New Holland brewing. If you see it, pick it up before they're all gone!

New Holland Hopivore ---4/5

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

2011: First off, I'm really disappointed by the ratings for this beer. Secondly, I'm even more disappointed that New Holland would call this beer Hopivore, knowing the expectations it would bring. Like most people, I was initially taken aback by this beer. It is incredibly malt forward. It isn't sweet, but the melanoidins make themselves known. To be honest, if I hadn't tasted Hop Trip from Deschutes, I don't think I'd recognized the subtle fresh-hop flavor that this beer displays.

Look: Dark amber and crystal clear. A beautiful appearance for autumn beer. Hints of orange and crimson make it fairly enticing. Considering the APA categorization, I was surprised by the color and automatically thought it'd be too sweet for my liking.

Smell: Like a toffee bar laced with tropical fruit sitting in an old wooden box. Incredible toasted malt aroma.

Taste: Huge munich/aromatic melanoidin malt character followed by a bit of papaya, mango, and sweet tropical fruit on the finish. If you've tasted Hop Trip, imagine the hop flavor cut in half. Toffee and caramel round out the beer's profile. A dry finish complimented by the sweet hop character make this beer a definite winner.

Overall, this beer defies categorization and should be appreciated as such. Love it and will seek it out next year. Another well crafted beer by New Holland.

2012 UPDATE: 2012's version is way hoppier and the above review really no longer applies.
This year's batch reminded me of SN Celebration but with a bit less body and less sweetness. The lighter body really allows the hops to shine through. This is an incredibly great beer. While last year's beer was maltier and less hoppy, this year's is much more hop forward. While it may lack a big punchy aroma, it certainly doesn't lack hop taste.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Just as the sea will eventually disgorge its dead, my kitchen is beginning to unleash beers that I have no idea from whence they came. It is my pleasure to open and review these treasures and I only wish that I could participate in New Beer Sunday, but I am currently in Persona Non Grata status.

From the bottle: "Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale"; "Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors."

As with my earlier bottle of Mad Hatter, I could see strands of something in suspension, so I again employed a VERY gentle pour. The trade-off for clarity is the loss of head. In peering into the glass, I noticed an oh-so-slight haze in the deep-copper color (SRM = ~ 17), so I can only wonder what might have occurred with a heavier hand. Nose smelled like tea! I mean that in a good way, BTW. I have had hop tea before and not only is it totally mellow, but this is exactly what it smelled like. I am getting excited as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was minty fresh, reinforcing my claim of hop tea. I can understand why this may not be an APA for everyone, but I was digging it. Once again, I was not experiencing a lot of malt, but while others dun this as "unbalanced", I would prefer that little to nothing stand between me and my precious hops. The finish was extremely dry and minty, and I was reminded of picking fresh mint with my aunt many years ago. Phew! Again, I get that it may not be for everyone, but I liked it. My last pour was, indeed, sludgy, but not as bad as I had expected. Remember, if you want to be a regular guy, drink your lees!

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to nyrangerfan for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, bitter hop, and slight chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, and very slight chocolate. It had a light feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Had a pretty nice flavor and aroma going on with this one. A little bit of a citrus note might have helped it out just a bit, but it wasn't needed at all. This one is a definite must try!

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

Crisp amber color in the body, extremely transparent, with a white head that dies down quick with minimal lacing.

Aroma is extrordinarily mild, I would have expected more hop kick in a wet hop beer, but Hopivore relies on its base grains to produce a really malty aroma.

Again, the flavor is dominated by the grains more than the hops (?!?!) as the base malt fills the tongue with lightly toasted grain. The hops are amazingly mellow but well positioned, with less bite than you'd expect, and balanced against the creamy malt. A little bitter to finish.

Creamy, frothy mouthfeel and a good distribution of carbonation.

A treat, really. Captivating in that it doesn't over-do the hops, because it is wet hopped you can really taste the flavor rather than the bitter, and you can tell they are experts in drawing their sugars out of their base grains. Tastee.

New Holland Hopivore from New Holland Brewing Company