New Holland Hopivore - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep mahogany color with a thin head and plenty of lacing. Smell is of breadyness like pumpernickel maybe? and a light lemony hop. The taste is a fairly bitter hop and lemony citrus zest, with a somewhat sweet malty foundation. It is of a viscosity that I enjoy and a light carbonation that is refreshing. Overall I enjoy it though it is hard for me to not look at it and expect it to be an IPA but I would drink it again. (422 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

A_Nice golden amber color with a thin white head.Moderate lacing.

S_Floral,grassy hops and pale malt.

T_Same as the nose. Floral notes and grassy hops. Biscuit like malt with a hint of spiciness. Good balance of fresh hops with a hearty malt backbone.

M_Medium bodied with a crisp finish.

D_Very drinkable. Can't really make sense of the mediocre review. (358 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I didn't know this beer was limited / brewed once so I had to pick up another bottle and see what the deal is! Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Not as coppery as I would have imagined, based on other people's reviews. More towards an orange-reddish IPA look with a hint of copper haze. Hazy cloudy orange with about one finger of head, going down quick. Significant lacing.

S - Lemons. Pine hops. Smells very sticky and resinous.

T - Lemon, citrus, pine. Wonderful hop profile isn't over-dominant yet is still very much the ingredient in the foreground. The malts play an integral part, but this beer is so extremely well-balanced it might almost be ridiculous (in a good way).

M - Bitter, malty, hoppy, citrus flavors linger on the tongue and the palate for a minute.

Overall, this might be my favorite American Pale Ale so far. A better, more balanced, less heartburn-inducing version of the Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA. Very glad I decided to give this brew another chance, especially since I have been generally let down by New Holland brewing. If you see it, pick it up before they're all gone!

New Holland Hopivore ---4/5 (1,188 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +25.4%

Just as the sea will eventually disgorge its dead, my kitchen is beginning to unleash beers that I have no idea from whence they came. It is my pleasure to open and review these treasures and I only wish that I could participate in New Beer Sunday, but I am currently in Persona Non Grata status.

From the bottle: "Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale"; "Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors."

As with my earlier bottle of Mad Hatter, I could see strands of something in suspension, so I again employed a VERY gentle pour. The trade-off for clarity is the loss of head. In peering into the glass, I noticed an oh-so-slight haze in the deep-copper color (SRM = ~ 17), so I can only wonder what might have occurred with a heavier hand. Nose smelled like tea! I mean that in a good way, BTW. I have had hop tea before and not only is it totally mellow, but this is exactly what it smelled like. I am getting excited as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was minty fresh, reinforcing my claim of hop tea. I can understand why this may not be an APA for everyone, but I was digging it. Once again, I was not experiencing a lot of malt, but while others dun this as "unbalanced", I would prefer that little to nothing stand between me and my precious hops. The finish was extremely dry and minty, and I was reminded of picking fresh mint with my aunt many years ago. Phew! Again, I get that it may not be for everyone, but I liked it. My last pour was, indeed, sludgy, but not as bad as I had expected. Remember, if you want to be a regular guy, drink your lees! (1,711 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +24.9%

2011: First off, I'm really disappointed by the ratings for this beer. Secondly, I'm even more disappointed that New Holland would call this beer Hopivore, knowing the expectations it would bring. Like most people, I was initially taken aback by this beer. It is incredibly malt forward. It isn't sweet, but the melanoidins make themselves known. To be honest, if I hadn't tasted Hop Trip from Deschutes, I don't think I'd recognized the subtle fresh-hop flavor that this beer displays.

Look: Dark amber and crystal clear. A beautiful appearance for autumn beer. Hints of orange and crimson make it fairly enticing. Considering the APA categorization, I was surprised by the color and automatically thought it'd be too sweet for my liking.

Smell: Like a toffee bar laced with tropical fruit sitting in an old wooden box. Incredible toasted malt aroma.

Taste: Huge munich/aromatic melanoidin malt character followed by a bit of papaya, mango, and sweet tropical fruit on the finish. If you've tasted Hop Trip, imagine the hop flavor cut in half. Toffee and caramel round out the beer's profile. A dry finish complimented by the sweet hop character make this beer a definite winner.

Overall, this beer defies categorization and should be appreciated as such. Love it and will seek it out next year. Another well crafted beer by New Holland.

2012 UPDATE: 2012's version is way hoppier and the above review really no longer applies.
This year's batch reminded me of SN Celebration but with a bit less body and less sweetness. The lighter body really allows the hops to shine through. This is an incredibly great beer. While last year's beer was maltier and less hoppy, this year's is much more hop forward. While it may lack a big punchy aroma, it certainly doesn't lack hop taste. (1,783 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to nyrangerfan for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, bitter hop, and slight chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, and very slight chocolate. It had a light feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Had a pretty nice flavor and aroma going on with this one. A little bit of a citrus note might have helped it out just a bit, but it wasn't needed at all. This one is a definite must try! (638 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

A clean amber pour with a finger of off white head, slow dissipation but not much lacing. Smells wonderful, a nice caramel malt aroma, nutty, bready, with floral notes and fresh cut grass from the hops. The flavor is a citrusy sweetness up front with a delicious malt backbone. Biscuity but with a hint of roasted fruits.
Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.
Overall this is a great fresh hop ale. On par with celebration as one of my favorite winter seasonals. (472 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +21.6%

Crisp amber color in the body, extremely transparent, with a white head that dies down quick with minimal lacing.

Aroma is extrordinarily mild, I would have expected more hop kick in a wet hop beer, but Hopivore relies on its base grains to produce a really malty aroma.

Again, the flavor is dominated by the grains more than the hops (?!?!) as the base malt fills the tongue with lightly toasted grain. The hops are amazingly mellow but well positioned, with less bite than you'd expect, and balanced against the creamy malt. A little bitter to finish.

Creamy, frothy mouthfeel and a good distribution of carbonation.

A treat, really. Captivating in that it doesn't over-do the hops, because it is wet hopped you can really taste the flavor rather than the bitter, and you can tell they are experts in drawing their sugars out of their base grains. Tastee. (861 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a deep orange yellow color with a thick yellowish white head and a good amount of lacing. Smells of piney hops, some bread, and a little citrus peel. Tastes of flavorful hops, pine, caramel, bread, and some citrus. Mouthfeel is medium with a small carbonation. Drinkability is high. (288 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%

A rough pour brings up a thick head of frothy tan foam atop New Holland's Hopivore. The body is slightly hazy, and copper in color with orange highlights. The head retention is very good, and it leaves craggy and jagged rings of lacing about the glass with each sip.

The aroma expresses caramelish malt and yeast over leafy and grassy hops.

The flavor follow suit, but expresses more hop character, most noticeably in the finish where it becomes more floral and grassy, and even a touch citrusy (lemonish). It's nicely balanced, and not a particularly bitter beer, but there's certainly some bitterness to it, and that becomes even more evident in the finish as it mixes with the resinous character (and perhaps chlorophyl) of the fresh hops. It lingers in the back of the throat with a wash of fading malt.

In the mouth it's surprisingly smooth and creamy with a dextrinous medium-light body and moderate, fine bubbled carbonation.

The drinkability is quite good, offering up an ale that's similar to an English-style best bitter that's been dry-hopped in the cask. It's interesting, and flavorful, nicely done, and well worth trying. (1,139 characters)

L: Pours brilliant copper tinted amber under a 3” off white foam collar that dissipates to a thick, clingy film. S: Grassy hops. T: Big herbal hop flavors, some vegetal flavor, a bitter accent on the finish. F: Medium body, medium carbonation. O: Big on hop flavor and bitterness. (282 characters)

Pours a hazy golden amber. Small frothy head that disciples quickly. Nice carbonation.
Sweet fruit, malts, hops, pepper aroma.
Fresh hop, grapes, pepper,grant Smith apple taste. Carmel back.
Slick, sweet and semi dry mouth feel. There's a nice bitterness in the back.
Sorry, I'm not site what a wet hop is supposed to taste like, wish I did, but this isn't a bad Farmhouse Ale. (377 characters)

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a slightly dense clear deep aged copper body with a bubbly light tan head that has a slow microcarbonation gliding to the surface.

S- The green earthy hops are mellow with a softer caramel malt note and a biscuit quality in the finish.

T- The green herbal pungent hops are dark in character wtih some pine qualities coming through as it warms. There is a perfect amount of pungency to the hops for the taste and a soft malt sweetness finishes the beer. There is a green pungent hop note that lingers but it doesn't have much bitterness to it.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has that nice mellow but full wet hop character with nice malt support and not much bitterness. It is a well balanced beer that is not a hop monster by any means but good hop flavor. (857 characters)

This beer has been the subject of some rather harsh criticism, which, I wonder, isn't partially a result of the name of the beer overselling the hops aspect. This is a quite pleasant, moderately hopped ale, landing somewhere in the range between pale ale and APA. Nice caramel malt and fresh, although reserved, hopping. (320 characters)

Poured into a pint
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of off-white head with good retention. Clear, reddish-brown liquid is redder and darker than I expected. Looks like an Amber, not an APA. Lighter and golder color please. Great head.
S: Delightful noble-earthy-herbal hop aroma with slight citrus edge. Great biscuit malt. Delectably balanced.
T: Malt forward with puckering hop bitterness dominating the middle and end. Caramel and slight roast dovetail in to the finish. Grapefruit in the finish as well. Not amber-like thankfuly. Very bitter.
M: Dry and bitter. Full and round. Multi-dimensional.
O: A nice wet-hopped ale. Not quite a pale ale though. Close. I would order another and might buy 6 for a party. (717 characters)

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at the Carrboro Bottle Shop in Carrboro, NC.

A - Copper with excellent clarity and a small beige head.

S - Strong grassy hops with a very fresh flavor.

T - Very fresh, flavorful hops but that's nicely balanced by a bready malt. It's somewhat dry with a moderate lingering bitterness.

M - A light feel with a touch of creaminess. The carbonation is moderate and appropriate.

D - Tasty and interesting. It was pretty pricey so I doubt I'd buy more but it was worth a try. (511 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint. Code of J131 indicates bottled Oct 13, 2011.

A: Pours a clear, light copper color with one finger of off-white head. Good retention and lace.

S: Caramel notes dominate, also a little butter. Not a lot of hop character, but still a good aroma.

T: Caramel and tea. Lightly bitter on the finish, faint pine. About halfway through the glass, some menthol joins in.

M: Good creamy feel, very pleasant.

O: Not at all what I expected from the name and label, really thought it would be an IPA. That said, I do like this beer. I think it's perhaps an English Pale Ale rather than American based on the flavor. Definitely worth a try. (680 characters)

$2.50 for a 12oz bottle. 55.5 IBU, 5.85% ABV per the website.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark amber, forming a sticky light yellow head with decent retention and pretty good lacing, with moderate to mild carbonation. The aroma is not as hoppy as expected. I get more toast and nuts than I do hops. The mouthfeel is smooth and soft with a medium body. The taste has that peculiar New Holland toasty grain husk flavor, with a moderate earthy bitterness, and aftertaste of hops with toast and tobacco.

"Hopivore"? Seriously? This is a nice English Style pale ale, but the name, label, and price would have you believe it was an aggressive American DIPA. (658 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Small patch of off-white foam tops a cloudy medium brown body that bears a closer resemblance to a brown ale than an APA. Not much lacing, and the head duration is brief.

Good aromas of wet hops with a moderate grassy smell. Nice biscuit and caramel malt notes in the smell and taste. The wet hop taste is fresh, prominent without being overpowering, and delicious. Smooth taste and texture, with the malt a featured characteristic of this good APA.

I found Hopivore to be well-hopped, but really to be a fine APA whose malt did at least as much for it as the wet hops. Good beer that I'd be glad to enjoy again. (615 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Thin light tan head. Clear red/amber body. Definitely not a pale ale, just going by the color.

Smell: Caramel malt. Bread. Almost smells like rye, but I'm pretty sure that's not in it. Definitely hoppy.

Taste: The darker malt flavors kinda hide the hops, which is a shame since how it's wet-hopped. What we have though is a really good hoppy amber ale. (417 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +18%

Appearance - 4/5
A very clear copper-red-orange. At least one finger of head, which lasts for a while. Can see a lot of carbonation rising up through the beer. Some small particles floating around the beer.

Smell - 3.7/5
Pine-citrus hops, a little bit of smooth caramel malts.

Taste - 4/5
Mellow pine-citrus hops, with a bit of sweet malts along with a tiny bit of alcohol taste. When I say 'mellow' I think I mean smooth and slightly toned-down, rather than bitter and intense. I don't know a lot about what wet-hopping is, but if this is the result, I like it. The hops do feel more smooth and fresh.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
This beer is very smooth and creamy, something that's rather unique for a Pale Ale from my experience. The carbonation is light. The beer is medium to full bodied. Overall an excellent feel.

Overall - 4/5
This was a very refreshing beer. The hops were no overpowering, but rather were much more mellow, and combined with the smoothness/creaminess of the beer and its full-body, this was a great PA. For someone who doesn't really love hops, but still enjoys them from time to time, or when done in the right way, this beer is great. The hops don't overpower, but the taste is still present, and there is little bitterness. This is a nice brew. (1,267 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

First off, I love the color. A clear and sparkling light ruby. Not much in the way of head, but those hops flavors are there immediately. Grapefruit, pine, then grass and herbs at the end. With enough sweet malt to balance things out. At 55 IBU, there is some kick, but not so much that you'll pucker. And that's the beauty of the wet hopped IPA.

I think it's very tasty. I'll need to find more wet hopped IPAs to compare it to, but so far, I'm a fan. (452 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

eyes...
one full finger of head, off white and mildly soapy, light orange hue with lots of carbonation, lacing is good, it retains mostly a nice veil down the glass, this is what you would expect from most APAs

nose...
for a wet hop I was expecting a little more zing. if I had to guess the hops used are english like fluggle or some such, sure they are michigan grown but they don't seem high alpha. that taken into consideration...
smells like a slightly more intense Fuller's ESB, interesting for a wet hop APA, I am thinking most americans probaly dismiss this off hand, I kind of dig some of those subtle hops myself.

taste etc...
the malts and hop oils really work well here.. damn I like this, this is like sticky ESB, not trying to overly ESB... if that makes any sense. It has the almost 'flat' style carbonation of british beer as well... the mouthfeel is just like a nice brit ESB.

Verdict?
I really like this beer, so different from most APAs, really it smacks of just a really good ESB to me. Easily drinkable and every sip sang of consistency. damn good. (1,071 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Nice to see the seasonal offering from new holland. Reading from notes, no bottling date on the review. A little dark for the style of the brew. I thought this might be a little bit more of an ipa rathe than a pale. Maybe the brew was a little past it's prime when I opened it, copper and metal were the main attractions on aroma behind the hops and citrus. Very proud to be a Home grown Michigander but this is was a little short on full fresh hop. Great brew to drink and session. Low abv so nice to fully enjoy. Tight head that is light tan. (544 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +15%

Served on tap at my local watering hole.

Appearance: Pours a true-amber color, mostly transparent. Head is a creamy eggshell white, which leaves medium-heavy lacing as it recedes. After successive sips, there were rings around the glass --- one of my favorite beer-phenomenons.

Smell: Almost nothing to say here, the smell is very weak, it seems. From what I *can* detect, there is a gentle grassiness coupled with moderate sweetness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Okay, this beer is a little more complex than I initially thought. A light- to medium-bodied brew with both pleasantly-mellow toasted caramel-malt flavor AND brooding earthy hop flavor. Very active carbonation which allows for a revelation of taste after the initial sip. Rinses very smoothly with hops as the focus of the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Good. It's unoffensive, and get more flavorful as the beer warms. One could easily knock a few back in an evening. (919 characters)

New Holland Hopivore from New Holland Brewing Company