New Holland Hopivore - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland HopivoreNew Holland Hopivore

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010)
bpfrush

Wisconsin

11-15-2011 03:20:16 | More by bpfrush
jegross2

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

2011 Vintage bottle in pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown amber that pours almost no head, and settles with even less.

Aroma: Malty brown sugar with a subtle piney hops and grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Very malty with a slightly bitter bubbly finish from the carbonation. The flavor does not linger very well or long. Some earthy/caramel flavors detected too, though it is hard to tell because the flavor is "quick and gone" because the beer is so watery.

Mouthfeel: Very thin bodied and watery texture.

Overall: Very disappointed by my second venture into New Holland's beer following my trying Dragon's Milk this past weekend. This is a very weak IPA, and if you are looking for a more malty than bitter IPA just seek out Sierra Nevada Celebration.

11-15-2011 01:56:15 | More by jegross2

11-14-2011 16:45:22 | More by nanobrew
Bonis

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

From notes: 10/23/2011

A - A clear amber orange color with a small white head which adheres a tiny bubble lacing to the side of the glass.

S - Herbal and resinous hop oil, some pine and fruity hops. Nothing jumps out too much, but it's nice overall. Some sweet malts are present as well.

T - The first thing I realized while drinking this was how watery it tasted. Hops flavors are pretty nice, skunky dank, some pine and citrus, all subdued. Caramel malts accompany in the middle. Vegetal hops to finish, which I don't think is uncommon for this style, but the vegetal aftertaste in this one isn't very pleasant. No alcohol, which is a plus, but this fresh hop ale isn't what I expected, considering the brewery and how cool it looked (I know I shouldn't get my hopes up based on how a beer looks).

M - A bit watery with a light body. Some hop bitterness sits in the mouth.

O - Not a bad beer, but probably not something I'd buy again. I like the concept, using fresh local Michigan hops and all of that... but this was definitely the least tasty fresh hop ale I tried this year.

11-13-2011 02:24:52 | More by Bonis
match1112

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

a:clear dark amber.half a finger of white head that quickly dissolves to some spotty froth and a little lacing.

s: strong grapefruit with some malt in the background.

t: big grapefruit zing up front but that's about it. turns a little malty in the middle and leaves nothing on the back end.

m: medium to light body, decent carbonation. not much bitterness to speak of.

o: feel kinda let down. not the big hop beer i was expecting.

11-11-2011 23:29:34 | More by match1112
KarlHungus

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

This beer pours a clear red-bronze color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into nothing. The aroma is of grapefruit, with a hint of green hops. It is a rather light aroma for a wet hopped beer. The taste is similar to the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a watery texture, and aggressive carbonation. Overall, this is a very poor example of a wet hopped pale ale. I will not be drinking this again.

11-11-2011 03:50:27 | More by KarlHungus
superspak

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

12 ounce bottle, no bottling date but it is from this years batch. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense light khaki head with fantastic retention that reduces to a fairly thick lacing cap. Some nice lacing clings around the glass as well. Aromas of caramel, spiciness, pine, orange, tropical fruit, toasted malt, bread, and nuttiness. Some interesting aromas here with good strength. Not as hoppy as I was hoping though. Taste of caramel, toasted malt, nuttiness, pine, citrus, and spiciness. Taste seems pretty watered down, I had to take a few drinks to decipher the flavor profile. Fair amount of bitterness on the finish; with some light lingering notes of toasted malt, nuttiness, pine, spices, and caramel on the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and quite nice mouthfeel that drinks smoothly. No alcohol noticed at all. Overall for being a bit watered down this is actually fairly enjoyable. It is drinkable and not really offensive in flavor profile, just a bit weak.

11-11-2011 03:42:23 | More by superspak
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Hopivor has a nice name, and label; I may have been slightly mislead by them having never seen it before it arrived in a box today.

A: Heavy white lacing and a healthy white head when poured quickly just around the edges.

S: Strong caramel malt, earthiness, roasted nuts, and some whole wheat bread

T: Taste is entirely dominated with caramel flavors. This is a fresh hop ale and it is pretty good at that , but for an APA and up to match with other fresh hop ales I have had, this is a little stronger on the caramel than I would like.

M: Thick body with a light carbonation. nearly syrupy but nice and dry.

O: This is a pretty good APA, but a little thick to be extremely drinkable. I could see myself tiring of the strong caramel presence.

11-10-2011 00:54:30 | More by alpinebryant
gatornation

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

12 0z bottle

A- pours a clear copper color with a fresh 1 finger head but very little lacing

S- musty hops and malt caramel baked bread and nuts,oats

T- sweet malts with citrus hops a nutty and oat taste

M- medium carbonation with an oily hop aftertaste

O- its good its drinkable not my first choise but will drink this one again

11-09-2011 22:57:15 | More by gatornation
TMoney2591

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

Yeah, the official part of the bliss tasting is over, but I'm not done yet: Let's add this one in there too, eh? It pours a slightly hazy tawny sunset-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises light caramel, lightly-buttered biscuits, very light leek, pine resin, and light balsa. I'm not sure which hops were used, but the blend just doesn't come off quite right to me... The taste amps the hop presence up a bit, but they still come off as overly resin-y and onion-y. There's also a strong component of dry toffee in the back, bringing a decent amount of balance to the proceedings. The finish is loaded with straight resin, though the pine aspect of it seems to be diminishing in the face of woody syrup, which malingers for some time on the tongue. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta sticky finish. Overall, a strange wet-hop, one that doesn't really seem too freshly hopped (if that makes enough sense...). Not a fan, myself.

11-07-2011 20:04:33 | More by TMoney2591
camil1mj

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Just released. Chilled and then poured into my Bell's snifter.

A: Deep orange hue. Very minimal head. No lacing.

S: Very weak smell. Some light hop presence. I was expecting the strong hop presence I have experienced from other wet-hopped beers.

T: Some citrus hops. Tastes of lemon and orange peel that give way to bitter hoppiness.

M: Medium, oily body with a good amount of carbonation.

O: Not a great beer, but a good beer. It is not in the same league as Wet or Harvest.

11-07-2011 00:45:39 | More by camil1mj
alexgash

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz. bottle. No freshness or package date, but it just showed up on the shelves of my local, good store, so I am assuming it is this year's batch. Pours a rich amber with copper edges. Small, wispy, off-white head. Doesn't stick around too long. Nose is peculiarly un-hoppy. Notes of caramel, cookie dough, brown sugar, and toasted bread.

Toasted grains and singed caramel sweetness up front. Doughy, slightly sweet malts swell mid-palate. Brown sugar and spices around the edge. Faint hop bitterness creeps in. Spicy, with some herbal notes. Honestly the hops get lost in the strong maltiness. Finishes with some lots of lingering cookie dough malt and just a trace of herbal hop bitterness. Moderate body with a slightly sticky feel. This almost tastes more like a slightly hoppier brown ale. No wet-hop presence whatsoever. Not a bad beer, but definitely not what it appears to be.

11-04-2011 21:56:43 | More by alexgash
ChugginOil

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This pours amber in color and has a small layer of head. No lacing to speak of.

The nose is malty and has a small amount of hops. A bit of a nutty roast but not much here.

The taste is malty and sweet with some hops that bring a bit of hoppiness. Its tasty and drinkable but nothing special here.

The mouthfeel shows more carbonation than the the headless appearance. Light-medium bodied.

Overall, not much happening here but is is very drinkable. More hops please!

11-04-2011 20:54:40 | More by ChugginOil
oberon

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I didnt see as many fresh hop ales this fall as Iam used to.This from my home state poured a rich bronze color with a thinner tight white head that left a few broken rings of lace as it settled.Nutty malt over top of leafy hops in the nose,the hops dont pack much puch but the aromas are decent enough.Again nutty malt is a main component on the palate,light caramel with leafy hops showing thru in the finish.Well its not very hop driven but its a decent APA,I actually like the malt complexity to the beer.

11-02-2011 20:38:52 | More by oberon
bitterbeerguy

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: pours a beautiful red-orange color. Initially there is a centimeter of white head, but this dissipates quickly to a shallow set of bubbles on top of beer. Small bubbles quickly rose throughout the 20 minutes I set it out to warm from fridge temp.

Smell: Initial smell was a burst of grapefruit and lemon zest. Get close with your nose and there is a faint sour smell- very nice. Overall, the fresh hops really enhanced the aromas.

Taste: carbonation still present, even after sitting for 20 minutes. Flavor is acidic bitter at first and then transitions to a malt flavor. Wish there were more heavy hop flavors up front. There is a disappointing short linger of hoppy flavor. The persistent taste is caramel after hops dissolve. The mainstay hops flavor is citrus throughout the entire swallow.

Overall: the color and aroma of this beer are really outstanding. The red-orange hint with the heavy wet hop aroma are awesome. Sadly, the taste was not aggressive enough on hops for me.

Worth a try.

11-02-2011 01:49:41 | More by bitterbeerguy
Ego

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

eyes...
one full finger of head, off white and mildly soapy, light orange hue with lots of carbonation, lacing is good, it retains mostly a nice veil down the glass, this is what you would expect from most APAs

nose...
for a wet hop I was expecting a little more zing. if I had to guess the hops used are english like fluggle or some such, sure they are michigan grown but they don't seem high alpha. that taken into consideration...
smells like a slightly more intense Fuller's ESB, interesting for a wet hop APA, I am thinking most americans probaly dismiss this off hand, I kind of dig some of those subtle hops myself.

taste etc...
the malts and hop oils really work well here.. damn I like this, this is like sticky ESB, not trying to overly ESB... if that makes any sense. It has the almost 'flat' style carbonation of british beer as well... the mouthfeel is just like a nice brit ESB.

Verdict?
I really like this beer, so different from most APAs, really it smacks of just a really good ESB to me. Easily drinkable and every sip sang of consistency. damn good.

10-24-2011 05:22:50 | More by Ego
GRPunk

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle into a nonic pint.

A- It has a clean, deep, copper body with moderate carbonation. A moderate pour created a 1-finger, off-white head that settled to about 1/4-finger that reforms with a gentle rattle. It left some awesome sticky spots on the glass.

S- While in the bottle, it came off as hoppy and slightly sweet. Once poured, it was really pleasant. Herbal/medicinal/leafy tobacco hops. Toasted grains. Not quite as crisp as I expected, but still quite nice. Warmth helps with an aroma that's a little muted initially and brings out some caramel.

T- At first I got sugared grapefruit. I'm picturing a halved, pink variety that's just covered in granulated sugar as I might do for breakfast in my youth. Later on I get some toasted, bready grains. Much more balanced than expected from the labeling.

M- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Light, hop bite.

O- I think this is a really solid APA. The balance is shifted just to the right side of "hoppy." Marketing could improve as everything points to "hop bomb." I guess I don't get the recent negative reviews as I'd gladly drink this one again.

10-23-2011 19:56:22 | More by GRPunk
davidthebruce

1.2/5  rDev -64.4%

I do not review beer. That being said I feel it is my duty to tell everyone looking for this beer to look elsewhere. It is quite possibly the worst example of an APA on the market. I don't know what New Holland is doing with this beer. I generally like everything I have tried from New Holland. This beer needs to go. HORRIBLE!

10-23-2011 14:17:48 | More by davidthebruce
GreenPea

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

I realy can't say much other than this was a dissapointment. The smell was kind of un-pleasant and the taste...well not far off from the smell. I would think something called "Hopivore" would be a hop bomb. This is just a bomb period. I only bought one of these and actually grabbed it after seeing someone grab six. Luckly I'm the guy that only bought one.

If I had anything possitive to say about this beer it would be in reference to the color. It has a nice bronzy orange tint and is filtered well.

10-22-2011 02:35:20 | More by GreenPea
DrDemento456

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Damn I knew this beer was old but had no idea it was around 10 months old.

A - Looks like an OK IPA, clear amber in color with a surprising bit of carbonation that produces a half an inch of head that turns to a slightly sticky ring.

S - Smells a bit english with toasted barley tones and a touch of cough syrup. Hops are there but kind of muted and in the back of the smell.

T - Definitely muted in all accounts the hops way muted to the point of making this taste like bitter water. The cracker base is more like a salted cracker with a bit of caramel or toffee on it.

M - Way too watery and muted, definitely way past it's prime.

Overall I am kind of disappointed in this one, but not too angry since I should have knew better. I seen this beer months before at a shop for 3.95 and figured I would ignore it but it showed up in my local shop way too late and I had to try it.

Don't be like me and ignore this one. Sad to report I will have to choke one more down since I got two at $1.83 each...

09-05-2011 04:44:04 | More by DrDemento456
feloniousmonk

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Fresh, Michigan wet-hop ale. I'm drinking this out of season, (came out last October, got a keg in March (?), sat on it until May, re-tapped)but it didn't get raves when it was fresh, either. 6% ABV American pale ale.

Clear, crimson coloring, slim, white head.

Soft aromatics, fruity and mild.

Taste: slight bitterness, nutty, earthy herbal malt flavor. Definitely in a more, English-style pale ale, more balanced, more malt.
Hopivore is a great name for a hoppy ale or a double IPA, but not this one. It's hoppy, all right, but we anticipate a beast, a behemoth, even. This is tasty, a little bitter, but mellow, and easy-drinking.
It's a fine beer, but expectations are very high on beers like this call it Hopivore, it had better be hoppy. Call it a wet hop harvest ale, it had be damned hoppy.
I'm looking at reviews. One guy gives it a D+, calls it a "malt bomb"…that's a bit much.
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just too unimpressive.

07-15-2011 06:14:05 | More by feloniousmonk
Knapp85

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

This brew pours out as a slightly darker than expected brownish color. The smell was hoppy and also had some earthy notes in there as well. The taste was pretty upsetting I found in my opinion. There really wasn't much of a hop kick at all especially from a wet hop brew! The mouthfeel was medium and probably the best part of the beer. Overall this was a bummer for sure.

05-13-2011 00:38:52 | More by Knapp85
corby112

1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours a very dark caramel orange color with burnt orange edges when held to a light and a one finger frothy off-white head that quickly dissolves into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet caramel malt aroma with faint earthy hops. Subtle citrus and earthy pine needle presence but the nose is overpowered by the malt notes. Hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit and nut.

Medium bodied with more of a hop presence than the aroma suggests. Dry, resinous and slightly bitter with an earthy floral presence and some piny flavor. This is countered by a sweet malt profile with hints of caramel and biscuit. The hop flavor is kind of one-dimensional while not being very flavorful and the malt presence is a bit to strong for my preference. Not a fan of this one.

05-04-2011 05:48:03 | More by corby112
BuckyFresh

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. The beer is a very clear copper color with an off-white, one-finger head. Lacing and retention are not all that impressive, although after swirling, you get some sticky, spotty lacing to show up. Very little carbonation visible, despite the clarity.

Smell: For a beer named "Hopivore," there seems to be a little too much malt in the nose. Quite sweet and biscuity with just a touch of citrus. Maybe a bit of hay and some caramel, but underwhelming in the hops department for sure.

Taste: The flavor pretty much follows suit after the smell. Pretty thin and watery in the feel and mostly biscuity malts and caramel for taste. The is a bit of bitterness towards the end, and the finish is pretty clean, but overall it just lacks any sort of spark.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel isn't too bad, but still a touch on the light/watery side. Decent malt up front, with a slightly bitter/dry finish.

Overall: In summary, this beer was pretty underwhelming. It was pretty drinkable and had ok flavor, but with so many great IPAs out there, I doubt I'll come back to this one.

04-14-2011 22:49:07 | More by BuckyFresh