New Holland Sundog Amber Ale - New Holland Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2002

3.12/5  rDev -10.9%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle picked up at a store in Mackinaw City; bottled May 7 2014. Served well-chilled.

Pours a deep, muddy copper-amber colour, topped with an inch of creamy, light beige-coloured head. Good retention; it sticks around for more than a few minutes, slowly dissipating into a frothy cap and collar. The nose is mostly malty; lots of caramelized/brown sugar aromas, with a nutty, toasted character. The contribution from the hops is very subtle, and a little on the leafy, earthy side.

This is a tasty, well-balanced amber ale with a malt-forward flavour profile. Bready and nutty, with lightly toasted malts and lots of caramel/toffee sweetness. Nutty, somewhat earthy finish with a light hint of citrus, with a mildly bittersweet aftertaste that lingers briefly. Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation and a very smooth, almost luxurious feel on the palate.

Final Grade: 3.84, a solid B+. Sundog Amber is a well-rounded, highly sessionable brew that I am really enjoying. I would not say that it offers anything particularly unique or memorable as far as this style goes, but amber fans in general will want to give this one a look. A very approachable beer and a nice selection for my 800th tick; I'd certainly consider picking it up again, at least if it became available on this side of the border.

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is the color of rust, hazy and murky. A thick cream colored head sits on top and doesn't recede much. Good patches of foamy lacing remain on the glass.

In the aroma I get spiced apples, subdued bread malts, and apple tart on the back end.

The beer tastes bread and malty up front with a good cinnamon spice note coating the body. In the finish a tart fruit note emerges.

The mouthfeel is creamy.

Overall, this is pretty tasty. It has some interesting notes in it such as cinnamon and apples that go well with it's malt bill, making it a good beer for Autumn drinking.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

4.4/5  rDev +25.7%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

2.84/5  rDev -18.9%

2.24/5  rDev -36%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

This is one of my favotires. Slightly bitter, extremely flavorful, right in my sweet spot. I am not on the IPA bandwagon. I like some IPAs and dislike the extremely bitter ones. This amber ale is more my speed and this one from New Holland is one of my go-to beers that I could drink copious amounts of.

1.6/5  rDev -54.3%

3.85/5  rDev +10%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. Date stamp 0174 13:38

Appearance: Hazy dark amber. Thin white persistent head – some sheets and thick strands of persistent lacing.

Smell: Orange citrus backed up with a caramel sweetness. Some floral and leafy notes as well as the beer warms up.

Taste: Sweet with caramel, toasted barley flavors, and bready flavors. Orange citrus mixed in with some sweet-tea like flavor along with some more toasted flavors at the end. The finish has a lingering sweetness that is tempered with some lingering citrus hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation – sticky on the teeth and palate.

Overall / Drinkability: Quite the malt bomb for an amber ale – not quite wee heavy territory, but I’m surprised with how much malt this beer has. I was expecting something lighter than what I got. I think it helps that I have a bit of a sweet tooth otherwise I think this beer might be a bit much. I had this by itself after mowing the yard and I think it may have been better with food. Still a good beer though if you’ve got a sweet tooth. As for drinkability, another one of these in an evening strikes me as a good idea – despite the sweetness there is enough other flavor going on that I’m not tiring of it.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%