Four Witches - New Holland Brewing Company

Four WitchesFour Witches

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: DannyDan on 06-02-2012)

RusImpStoLuv, Mar 11, 2014

lupercmda, Aug 11, 2012

ThaJokerWild, Jul 23, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +27%

This is a new black saison ale that pours out a black hue with a thick tan head that leaves some retention, minimal lacing and moderate carbonation. It has a nice caramel, rye, yeast and root beer aroma. The taste starts out with wheat followed by some rye, caramel, yeast and some peppery spices on the tip of the tongue. The finishing taste reminds me of drinking a nice yummy creamy root beer. The mouthfeel is a nice smooth creamy feel even though it tends to leave the mouth dry with a chalky finish. This single batch seasonal is a must try as it gives a saison ale a slightly different feel and taste compared to traditional saison ales. It will be fun to see how many others like this brew as much as I do.

DannyDan, Jun 02, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +27%

A: Appearance is black as coal with a tan foamy cap. If you look closely at a light you still can't believe how dark it is. the head is frothy with very tiny bubbles almost like whipped cream.

S: Aroma is of grain and spices. there are slight Coffee hints in the nose.

T: Taste is out of the park awesome, heaps of dark malts all roasty and yummy. Touches of sweet carmel and barley.

M: Mouthfeel is a medium to full body, silky , smooth and rich.

O: Overall a great balance of flavors one that makes you to come back for more you barely notice 8.9 alcohol percentag that you will soon feel instead of taste.

nukem5, Mar 15, 2014

leprechaunandfatman, Nov 12, 2012

pathman, Jul 15, 2013

shockrocker65, Aug 29, 2012

chuckv, Oct 26, 2013

Lob, Jul 05, 2012

GTB, Jul 05, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +24%

Lightly chilled bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Dark, deep red or amber tint. Deep Carmel head. Lacing is minimal.

S: Spices, and honey hints of cloves and barley.

T: Much like smell. Spicy and sweet with small tastes of yeast.

M: Thick, good carbonation. Warmth of alcohol.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer.

I would recommend this beer to a friend.

theecaleb, Aug 25, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Extremely dark brown with decent light brown head.

Smell: Holy licorice! All I smell is anise. I would like to say that I can detect some roasted malt and spiciness, but I think that would be a lie.

Taste: Certainly taste a lot more than anise, but that is present as well. Nice dried out roasted malts that taste of smoke, char and coffee. Pretty spicy as well, with rye and clove.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, with a medium body (lighter than it looks). It is fairly smooth and lightly chalky, but the chalkiness doesn't bother me as it usually does because it works with the very dry roasted and spicy finish.

Overall: Other than the one-dimensional aroma, this was surprisingly good. Wish I had bought more than a single.

bsp77, Jun 04, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured into a tulip from a 12 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown with a finger of eggshell head that settles to a thin froth on the surface. Very subtle carbonation, and minimal lacing.

S: Earthy and herbal. Strong anise character, but with a sweet nose as well. Smells just like old-school sarsaparilla.

T: Much like the nose, but more subdued. Herbal and spicy up front, with hints of clove and anise, along with strong caramel on the mid-palate. Finish is dry and spicy.

Notes: Medium-bodied and extremely flavorful. Alcohol is well-hidden. This is one unique brew. Very enjoyable by my standards. I've never been huge on New Holland, but I had to try this one, and I'm glad I did.

WYVYRN527, Jun 07, 2012
4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

This review is for the NEW four witches. The name should be at the very top of the label, alcohol 8.92%, 18.5 degrees Plato

A – black … looks like porter, with brown tinge to the head, which faded almost instantly.

S – caramel and coffee, wonderful smelling.

T – outstanding. This beer wow’d me. It opens soft in flavor, inviting you to take a deep chug. Reminds me of a milk stout at first, except with a taste of citrus that is likely due to the yeast autolyzing. Has smokey tastes all the way through, but then the flavor fades and it leaves a perfectly bitter aftertaste. It doesn’t have an American hop kind of bitter, it has a dry lingering bitter usually found in Barley Wine.

M – smooth and creamy. Hangs on the palette.

O – Obviously, this was a real winner for me. I’ve been trying a different fancy beer once a day for my week off, and this is the first one that I really loved. starts to soft and easy to drink, but finishes with a smokey bitterness that makes me sit and reminisce on it.

There are two batches of this beer. Buy the one that is 8.92% alcohol, and has the name at the top of the label.

burntoutphilosopher, May 12, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

If you like GD Hibernation Ale, try this!

A. Good'n Black. No head. No lacing. Flat appearance.

S. I love how this beer smells. Licorice and candied sugar! Almost as decadent as a Belgian ale.

T. This reminds me so much of great divide's hibernation ale, which I love, only it's drier and a tad sour. Tootsie rolls + boozy licorice!

M. Surprisingly not as carbonated as I expected. Pretty creamy. Tho, It's not smooth.

O. Generally I don't go nuts for Saisons, but this is really good to me. Try it, definitely.

FaceYourBeers, Jun 26, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle poured int a shaker pint. Bottling date 5.18.12.

Look- Ruby brown with two fingers of sticky toasted marshmallow head that falls within a minute or two. Decent lacing.

Smell- It's like honeyed licorice tea, very, very aromatic. Sweet burnished wood, cinnamon, caramel, root beer, brandied cherries. Delicious.

Taste- Similar to the aroma, but more on the ginger beer/root beer side. I don't know if the "spices" mentioned on the label are just licorice root, but I'd believe it. It's a bold flavor that nearly overpowers the subtler pepper, vanilla, rye, and cherry, but I have to admit that I like it quite a bit (and I actually loathe black licorice candy.) With an unusual brew like this one, go bold or go home.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, soft carbonation, silky feel with a slightly astringent edge. Drinks like a whisky & cola.

Overall- I've never had a "black" saison before, but I may be a convert. Absolutely worth trying.

Lawl3ss, Aug 25, 2012

A - black with a reddish hut; big foamy brown head that fades quickly

S - black licorice, anise, figs, raisins

T - anise, black licorice, roasted malts, figs, raisins, some faint chocolate, some peppery rye, some funky yeast comes through

M - crisp, medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a surprisingly complex and unique saison. It's has a ton of flavor. The black licorice and anise notes dominate which I'm not crazy about but the uniqueness, the rye, the dark fruit, the roasted malts and chocolate all play a part as well. I'm impressed. This is definitely worth a try.

tdm168, Sep 01, 2012

Oboogie, Jun 10, 2012

beersdmf17, Apr 03, 2014

HipHopinHooligan13, Jul 08, 2012

AG77, Aug 19, 2014

Crosseye, Nov 06, 2012

A: a dark brown leather couch color with a thin tan head.

S: aroma seems lighter than appearance. Nutty, spices, apple, wood.

T: spicy, licorice, pepper, vanilla, cherry, cola

O: Great beer. Mild with flavor. Alcohol is well hidden, very balanced.

Giggy, Oct 18, 2012