Four Witches - New Holland Brewing Company

Four WitchesFour Witches

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: DannyDan on 06-02-2012)

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle labeled 2012 vintage

Going into this with very little expectation, as I'm not sure what to expect from a "black saison" (on the label).

A: Pours a nice deep brown (almost black) with a thin khaki colored head. Nice looking beer.

S: Smells a bit like black licorice with some root beer-like qualities coming as well. The more I smell, the more I think it's similar to a "root beer barrel" candy. Also get a little bit of grape juice. Smell is unlike any other beer I've had... so far, so good, i'm still happy.

T: Wow, much stronger tasting than the nose suggests. Starts out almost faint-cola like. Perhaps that's the root beer smell I was getting. Can't really put my finger on the middle, but it ends with a little bit of a "funky" bite. Now I'm seeing (from the "funk") how this is a saison. Getting a little bit of black licorice as well, which hangs in through the shorter finish. Taste is different, but isn't necessarily anything special..

M: Thinner than expected given the dark color. Pretty highly carbonated on a relative basis, as well. Not bad, but I'm struggling with the disconnect between color and feel; the two don't seem to match well for me.

O: An interesting beer that tastes like nothing I've ever tried. I feel a bit like I'm at Short's trying one of their new experiments. Worth trying if you like black licorice and/or you like to try "outside the box" beers, but not something I can see anyone wanting to buy and consume a full six pack of. I also don't see myself finishing even this entire bottle (poured out about 1/2 - 1/3rd post review). Worth trying, but grab a friend or two and split the bottle.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a deep black color no real head to speak of thin, tan gone in a few seconds. Nose has no hops, some booze, grapes, dark fruit. Flavor is slightly sour, no hops, sourness coming from a grape maybe red? Hardly any dark, roasted malt that you would expect from the color. Bought this because I really like saisons and bought this because I thought it would be an interesting mix. Unfortunately, it is not as intriguing as promised. Won't buy again.

2.73/5  rDev -19%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a really black color with a nice big tan head. However the head did not last long but the lacing lingered pretty well. The beer smelled spicy and cloves flowed over the edge of the glass. I was hopeful. Alas though the beers head faded away quickly and the taste was just not good. I will not buy again.

Four Witches from New Holland Brewing Company