1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland The Poet - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland The PoetNew Holland The Poet

pDev: 11%

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

IBU's: 40

(Beer added by: inebrius on 02-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland The Poet Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,459 | Reviews: 621 | Show All Ratings:
rapidsequence

12ozer from Total Wine in Raleigh.

Appearance: Wow. Pitch black. Thick head that threatens to escape my snifter that holds a 22 with ease. Thick light brown rocky head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Shit. Really bad. Dirty shoe leather. Old band aids. Maybe this bottle is bad. I focus and can extract some roasty malt notes, but ughhh.

Taste: Still not good. Much better than the smell though. A little sour up front. The finish has the chocolatey roastiness I was expecting, but I'm not happy.

Mouthfeel: This has a full creamy mouthfeel. I wish it didnt taste like shit.

Drinkability: I'm not pouring it out. So there's that. I hope this is a bad bottle, cause its bad. I bet if I drank it from the bottle, it'd be ok, but no. Its not.

10-12-2009 01:49:03 | More by rapidsequence
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.05/5  rDev -47.6%

Appearance - A bold black color with only a trace of medium brown head that fades as fast as it surfaces.

Smell - Nearly no scent at all. I can barely recognize a hint of roasted malt with a slight chocolate tone.

Taste - Coffee overwhelms the subtle chocolate flavor that is also present. The complexity is minimal.

Mouthfeel - The feel is wet with a wave at some movement on the back of my tongue but nothing substantial enough to bring out any new flavor.

~ When I picked up this single bottle from Cellar 70 I was really hoping for a solid oatmeal stout. I can honestly say I'm bored with it. Sad.

02-28-2008 23:26:38 | More by cdkrenz
jt31914

2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers of head - dark dark brown color with no carbonation rising.

S: Char oatmeal smell - very strong and good.

T: Oatmeal char taste is present, but the beer is a little watered down; there is little taste on the palate, but the finish is solid. It got worse as I drank it.

M: Solid mouthfeel - smooth and relatively crisp.

D: Decently drinkable.

New Holland has really been a disappointment for me; this is probably my favorite beer from them but there are still many other oatmeal stouts I would rather have (Samuel Smith's, Dark Horse, and Founders for starters).

10-09-2009 03:18:12 | More by jt31914
ThickNStout

Georgia

2.29/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

12oz bottle from bcm75 (thank you!). No bottling date. Served in a Red Brick snifter.

Pours dark brown with a full finger of sandy head that leaves no lace.

Smells mild and unassuming with faint roast and caramel.

Taste is an understated blend of cocoa, sweet oats, plum, nuts and bitter earth. Goes down easy enough but it is missing depth or complexity.

Thin, bordering medium but semi creamy body with light carbonation. Bitter cocoa and plum/ raisin finish.

There's nothing outright bad here but it lacks any real character that would make me want to revisit it. Quite smooth and very subdued. It left me wanting something with more gusto.

04-11-2013 06:29:21 | More by ThickNStout
tykees88

Indiana

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

This is just not the beer style for me. I picked this up as a single at a liquor store in town in hopes of finding a new style that I would like. I could not have been more disappointed. The mouthfeel felt like a mentos and diet coke in my mouth at the same time. Just fizzy. The taste was alright, subtle oatmeal there, but didn't taste bad. But the way it felt in my mouth was too much for me to overcome with this beer.

02-07-2010 21:11:51 | More by tykees88
Spider889

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

Ordered a bottle of this at the Northstar Cafe at Easton after a little Christmas shopping.

No freshness date, but when I poured it I suspected that it might be a little old. Despite a vigorous pour, I got essentially no head. At first glance it is a dark ebony but as the light hits it you see that it is slightly transparent and more of a thin watery coffee color.

Smell was a little lacking, but the usual suspects come to bat here. Mild roasted coffee aromas, some chocolate malt. There's also some hop bitterness adding a little edge to the smell.

The flavor profile turned out to be pretty decent, my main qualm was that it tasted more like a bitter porter than a smooth oatmeal stout. Lots of coffee bitterness and hop bitterness intermingling. I didn't care for it. There was an unpleasant prickling feeling on the tongue from the beer. It wasn't the carbonation (which was too low). I almost think it was the alcohol, but it's hard to suggest that a 5.2% beer tasted 'hot,' yet that's precisely what it felt like.

The bottle suggested the beer was smooth from the oats. I detected no oats, and it certainly was not smooth. Watery and too thin for a stout to top it off.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but it was under-carbonated, and not very proper for the style imo. There are much better examples that are just as easy to find if you're looking for a good oatmeal stout.

12-23-2010 04:44:59 | More by Spider889
benmiliron

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

This is I believe my first stout from New Holland. Pours a deep brown with a dark head that vanishes quickly. No lacing to speak of. Some reddish hue in the right light. Smell is charcoal, burnt malt, coffee. Taste is also charcoal, burnt coffee, some oatmeal character in the back. Mouthfeel is over carbonated and sticky.

Not a good offering from New Holland.

01-08-2007 22:59:41 | More by benmiliron
alcstradamus

Washington

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

A--Appears black but when held up to the light there are a lot of red/brown highlights apparent. Head was less than a finger tall but I didn't give it too hard of a pour. Recedes quickly

S--Lots of caramel and cocoa on the nose. Actually this kind of smelsl like a Milky Way bar. Really like this scent although it is not a bold as I would hope

T--First taste is pretty much all caramel and malt. Hop bitterness is barely noticeable, you have to search for it to find it. A little bit of chocolate present, taking the form of ready-to-pour powder mix. Pretty smooth taste although nothing amazing by any means. As this warms up there is a distinct coffee bitterness, without the coffee flavor to accompany it. That flavor then molds into a cigarette ashtray taste that is pretty bad.

M--Light in body for a stout, even an oatmeal stout. Nothing off-putting though

D--When I first started this bottle I thought it was easy drinking, but once the ashtray taste started coming to the forefront I wanted to drain-pour it. This is the last Poet I buy, unfortunately. I really like the bottle artwork!

04-01-2009 04:10:34 | More by alcstradamus
biglite351

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

I was not impressed with this beer. I poured it into my glass and liked what I saw. Great color and a nice froth. Then I tool a smell. I could barely smell anything. What smell there was is okay, but it is very weak. Then I took a drink. Once again, barely there. What there is was okay, but nothing special. No real bitterness. I would compare this to a light beer, only in stout form. Much like actual light beers you could probably drink a few of these without feeling overwhelmed. However, with it's lack of overall flavor, I am not sure that it would be worth it. If it was at a party I would drink it, I just won't be buying it for myself in any quantity.

01-31-2010 21:19:08 | More by biglite351
samie85

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a very deep brown color with a one and a half finger head.

S-Sweet and roasted coffee malt with a slight earthiness on the finish.

T-Pretty one note and it's roasty with some sweeter roasted notes and a pretty dry finish.

M-A little thin feeling in the mouth for an oat stout and pretty dry with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D-Not my idea of a great oatmeal stout, but I'm sure others prefer the roastiness of this beer.

12-02-2010 02:35:46 | More by samie85
gopens44

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

A - High hopes based on the appearance. Aggressive pour into a pint glass (Cricket Hill I think). Head grew into about an 1 1/2" foamy mocha colored lace ladened creation.

S - No big surprise, not bad, medium bold espresso smell

T - At first it was enjoyable. There was certainly a roasted barley / espresso taste, but there was also a (and you can feel free to call me crazy on this) taste that was similar to that of taking a big mouthful of fresh snow. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the initial back end taste that I got. Not strong, but it was there. While that particular essence was present, I found the beer quite refreshing. The refreshing snow taste disappeared though. After about drinking about 1/3 of the beer, there was a soy sauce taste that grew larger until the beer was finished. Didn't like that too much.

M - Medium carbonation, not too bad

I doubt that I'd go out of my way to try another. Admittedly, I like Imperials more than oatmeals, but Samuel Smith is better than this one.

08-27-2010 14:43:51 | More by gopens44
BuckeyeSlim

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A - One-finger head of thick dark tan foam that collapses quickly to leave a very thin layer of lace on the surface and a ring around the glass. Beer is coffee black and solidly opaque.

S - Nose is pretty faint, but well-roasted malt and dark chocolate are present. Even letting it warm in the glass and giving it plenty of swirling doesn't generate much.

T - Bitter dark chocolate melted into a moderately roasted cup of coffee. Caramel and oats appear in the background that sweeten the initial impression. Faint trace of bittering hops gives the finish a bit of an cleansing edge. There just isn't much of what's there in any given quaff. It begs to have the volume turned up.

M - Creamy and very smooth. Light carbonation. Seems too thin and watery. Lacks structure. Not much of a finish that lingers.

D - The oatmeal smooths the edges off the typical stout bitterness, making this style more enjoyable, but the flavors are too subdued, resulting in a beer that doesn't stand out in any way and make me want to drink another. The word "inoffensive" is what comes to mind.

12-31-2010 05:19:19 | More by BuckeyeSlim
muddyriverduck

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

My first review...here goes.

Bought a single bottle of Poet at a local general store. This will be my one and only "sweet dreams", before bedtime beer of the evening.

Poured this brew from the 12-oz bottle into a sifter. I found the color dark brown, almost black with a very thin carmel-colored head. Pretty standard for a stout.

I had a hard time smelling anything at first. Two factors affecting the smell as I see it. 1). I had some habanero salsa 30 minutes ago, and 2). The fridge is too cold for stout. I picked up hints of chocolate and tree bark as the glass warmed and my olfactory parts cooled.

The flavor was nothing special. Chocolate and oak upfront, with an achohol aftertaste. OK, but nothing special.

Felt very thin in the mouth for a stout, with a little bit of carbonation. I like my stout with a little more substance behind it.

Very drinkable, especially for someone not into stouts. This seems to be a stout you would break someone into the genre with. The average Bud drinker might be able to make it through a bottle without too much trouble.

Overall...ok. Bored me. I would probably drink it again, but I won't make a special trip for it.

Edit: I just noticed that the two lowest reviews for Poet are mine and benmiliron's, both of us from Toledo. I smell a conspiracy here with New Holland shipping their worst batchs to Toledo. No respect man.

03-09-2007 04:33:08 | More by muddyriverduck
mrasskicktastic

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Brown just shy of black. Small head, no lacing.

S - Faintly smells like tea made from roasted brown rice, old, spent bad coffee grounds and very faint burnt sugar. Not much going on.

T - Dark flavors, black patent and faint rice tea. Slight nutty. Aftertaste is a bit of black patent and a mild earthy/woodsy bitterness. It's okay.

M - Medium to thin body, a little harsh and only a little refreshing.

D - It's okay. Very average. Not great, but it lacks anything significantly unpleasant. There are a lot of other, better oatmeal stouts out there.

06-28-2012 04:52:31 | More by mrasskicktastic
Lawl3ss

2.91/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 33 cl shaker. Bottling date 11.27.12.

Look- Pours a clear deep brown with a finger and a half of dense khaki head that falls quickly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Overwhelmingly smells of leather and tobacco smoke. Pungent, almost abrasive. As it warms, it takes on a more toasted coconut-cocoa aroma, which is nice, but I can't shake the feeling of a fifty-year-old biker bar. Not a deal breaker, but moderately off-putting.

Taste- Still a bit leathery, but feels appropriate. Dark roast coffee, charred hazelnuts, baker's chocolate. Light sweetness towards the end. Mellow, toasted biscuit finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Cleaner than expected, light fullness on the back end. Not hefty enough for an oatmeal stout, could use some stick.

Overall- A bit lackluster for an oatmeal stout- misses on a few counts and feels less than cohesive. I wouldn't avoid it, but it's not something I'd purchase/order unless there was nothing else in the category available.

04-29-2013 04:15:56 | More by Lawl3ss
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

Sampled at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Black, off-white head, not much retention, some lace.

S: Tart coffee? Roasty.

T: Fairly dry & roasty, but not burnt. Hint of fruity esters, slight tartness.

M: Moderate body is dry. Carbonation is lower than moderate. I thought it could use some more creamy smoothness (seemed like more of a dry stout than an oatmeal stout).

D: Too dry for my liking.

08-12-2006 18:52:46 | More by Derek
scratch69

Missouri

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

I Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown with a tan head that quickly fades. Thin lacing.

Smell- A faint smell of dark roasted malt and a touch of sweetness.

Taste- Toffee like sweetness with hints of coffee and dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Thin and slightly watery. Nice carbonation.

Overall- For a stout this beer is a little thin on the flavor and mouthfeel. Not a bad beer but New Holland could have done better.

10-22-2011 20:48:50 | More by scratch69
VncentLIFE

Thanks Kyle!

Pour was a dark brown, almost black. Small white head.

Smell was a bit off. Fusel alcohols, hints of oatmeal.

Taste was interesting. I get hints of leafy tobacco, smoke, and a sweet feeling. Very light body, almost porter like. Rather simple, no real malt backbone. Feels light, and the leafy feeling reminds me of Sugar Plum Brown by CCB.

02-12-2012 02:26:08 | More by VncentLIFE
phisig137

Pours a fairly deep black, that lets a good amount of light through around the edges. Creamy two finger head has decent retention, and leaves behind a little lacing, and a small blanket of foam on top.

Aroma is odd. Toasted malts, biscuits, fresh bread, and quite a bit of fruity esters from the yeast. This smells like it was fermented hot. Nice malt aromas, but the fruity aromas kill it.

Flavor is much the same. Nice malty backbone with good toasty flavors, but the yeast esters kill it. No roasted malt flavors, and no hops. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for being an oatmeal stout. Drinkability is pretty good.

This is a decent beer, but not great. Not nearly as impressive as New Holland's Big Beer series.

01-16-2007 01:28:06 | More by phisig137
KomodoDragon

Living nearby the Poe museum, I applaud the shout out to the poet, I just wish the beer kept up its end of the bargain better.

A - A plentiful, yet quickly vanishing, 2" head covered this black stout with a reddish tint around the edges.

S - Slight licorice smell

T - Quite sweet, with hints of roasted malts and an ending bitterness. If I had not read the label, I would have mistaken this for a porter.

M - smooth, clean, mild

D - Like a true komodo dragon, I was hopiong for some some more bite.

01-08-2011 05:40:44 | More by KomodoDragon
rickyleepotts

Arizona

I don’t care what this beer tastes like, I love the label! It makes me think of Edgar Allen Poe. You know, the poet. Anyway, this beer has a sweet label and based on everything I have read, has a pretty sweet and roasty flavor to it. I like it when a beer is described as “creamy”. I don’t usually like stouts, unless I am in the mood, but this one is an oatmeal stout. Should be good. The oats help to bring down the bitterness of the beer.

In the Glass: This is a very dark beer that has a pretty weak lace. The foam on the top though is something to take note of. It has a thin layer of bubbles that makes me think it will have a hint of carbonation. But I wonder since this beer is supposed to be rich and creamy.

Nose: The nose gives me hints of dark chocolate and caramel. There is a bit of smokiness to it as well. I read somewhere that it has a “campfire” sort of smell. I can see where that comes from. I almost liken this to the nose you get on a properly aged bourbon.

Flavor: There are some serious bubbles at the beginning, and then the sweetness kicks in. When you swallow the dark fruity flavors start to creep up, and you are hit with the bitter aftertaste. I wouldn’t call this beer creamy, but the entire palate gets something here. It’s smooth, sans the bubbles, and that sweetness sticks around on the back of your palate.

Mouthfeel: The bubbles are the first thing you experience, but then the beer rounds itself well as it crosses the tongue and as you swallow. I wouldn’t say it reminds me of a soda… but it’s close. But when the sweet and dark aftertaste kicks in, the roundness fades and you are left with a smokey aftertaste that makes you want to start a fire.

Aftertaste: I have hinted at the aftertaste already, but it’s smooth, sweet, and almost reminds me of a dark chocolate aftertaste. Not good chocolate, like something you get for Christmas, but just decent chocolate that you pick up at the grocery store. It’s good though, and as the aftertaste fades, it’s OK to take another sip as this beer doesn’t have a very big ABV.

I have had this beer before, but now that I am writing to appreciate these beers, I can spend more time thinking about the overall enjoyment of it. I like it. I would order it, but under the right circumstances. It’s not the best stout I have ever had, but it does do a good stout justice. If you are looking for a good stout to have in the winter (wouldn’t suggest drinking this in the summertime) give this one a try. It’s also affordable as well.

02-27-2012 00:52:16 | More by rickyleepotts
facundoCNB

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

a thick brown/black pour into a tulip with about a finger of tan head and excellent retention. smells of tobacco, dirt, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, roasted nuts.
a slight bitterness coming from roasted grains, very weak in flavor.. everything seems to be faded. slightl sweet chocolate flavor in the finish. basically, everything in the smell is in the flavor but faintly (to the point where unless you are taking breaks between sips, you wouldn't taste anything until well after you finished the beer). way lighter than it looked pouring. medium body with a bit higer carbonation than expected.. chalky aftertaste/feel. slightly creamy on the lips.

not sure what happened with this beer.. it LOOKED and SMELLED excellent, i got pretty excited to taste it, but it's so weak it feels like i just wasted a beer. maybe this is just an old bottle that was leftover at the store? seems way too weak in flavor to be fresh.

10-24-2012 05:00:31 | More by facundoCNB
AgentZero

3.05/5  rDev -22%

A - Not quite black, but very dark brown that didn't let any light through. Little bit of head that left some nice lacing on the sides of the bottle.

S - Roasted malt, caramel, toffee, coffee, etc. Pretty straightforward.

T - Tastes about how it smells. This is an average oatmeal stout, it's not bad, not good, can drink it and not notice it one way or the other.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, smooth.

D - Drinks a little bigger than it's ABV. This beer is okay, but not spectacular or bad.

12-26-2010 23:22:42 | More by AgentZero
Winter

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours near black in color with auburn highlights. Thick foamy tan head. Light aroma of chocolate malt, sweet cocoa and molasses. Medium-bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Choclate malt flavor dominates the front. Hops quickly add balance to the sweetness and a dryness to that lingers into the finish. Almost sucks the sweetness right off your tongue. Slight alcohol taste can also be detected toward the back. Unfortunately, my third beer from this brewery wasn't quite the "charm" I was expecting.

04-02-2004 02:44:06 | More by Winter
claminat420

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

A- poured a typical dark color as any stout should. nice cream color two finger head

S- nothing special going on here. dark malts with a scent of alcohol which suprises me with only 5.2abv

T- sweet dark malts. roasted chocolate flavor.

M- light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- not to shabby. i'm not really to much of a stout fan but i can handle this one.

Overall- like i said i'm not to much a stout fan. the best stout i've had so far was dark horse's tres (blueberry stout). as far as oatmeal stouts go i have nothing really i can compare this to. i would say give this one a try.

09-24-2009 06:37:54 | More by claminat420