New Holland The Poet - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland The PoetNew Holland The Poet

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

IBU's: 40

(Beer added by: inebrius on 02-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland The Poet Alström Bros

LuisWolf, Sep 20, 2014

brkstoutfiend, Nov 22, 2011

Kallenovsky, Jul 12, 2014

humancentispeed, Jan 10, 2012

afrothunder, Jan 05, 2013

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011

patm185, Oct 08, 2013

OklahomeBrewed, Feb 26, 2012

12ozer from Total Wine in Raleigh.

Appearance: Wow. Pitch black. Thick head that threatens to escape my snifter that holds a 22 with ease. Thick light brown rocky head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Shit. Really bad. Dirty shoe leather. Old band aids. Maybe this bottle is bad. I focus and can extract some roasty malt notes, but ughhh.

Taste: Still not good. Much better than the smell though. A little sour up front. The finish has the chocolatey roastiness I was expecting, but I'm not happy.

Mouthfeel: This has a full creamy mouthfeel. I wish it didnt taste like shit.

Drinkability: I'm not pouring it out. So there's that. I hope this is a bad bottle, cause its bad. I bet if I drank it from the bottle, it'd be ok, but no. Its not.

rapidsequence, Oct 12, 2009

skaboom420, Sep 21, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

Appearance - A bold black color with only a trace of medium brown head that fades as fast as it surfaces.

Smell - Nearly no scent at all. I can barely recognize a hint of roasted malt with a slight chocolate tone.

Taste - Coffee overwhelms the subtle chocolate flavor that is also present. The complexity is minimal.

Mouthfeel - The feel is wet with a wave at some movement on the back of my tongue but nothing substantial enough to bring out any new flavor.

~ When I picked up this single bottle from Cellar 70 I was really hoping for a solid oatmeal stout. I can honestly say I'm bored with it. Sad.

cdkrenz, Feb 28, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -44.6%

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers of head - dark dark brown color with no carbonation rising.

S: Char oatmeal smell - very strong and good.

T: Oatmeal char taste is present, but the beer is a little watered down; there is little taste on the palate, but the finish is solid. It got worse as I drank it.

M: Solid mouthfeel - smooth and relatively crisp.

D: Decently drinkable.

New Holland has really been a disappointment for me; this is probably my favorite beer from them but there are still many other oatmeal stouts I would rather have (Samuel Smith's, Dark Horse, and Founders for starters).

jt31914, Oct 09, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

jtyson, Feb 18, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Filabee, Apr 12, 2014
2.29/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

12oz bottle from bcm75 (thank you!). No bottling date. Served in a Red Brick snifter.

Pours dark brown with a full finger of sandy head that leaves no lace.

Smells mild and unassuming with faint roast and caramel.

Taste is an understated blend of cocoa, sweet oats, plum, nuts and bitter earth. Goes down easy enough but it is missing depth or complexity.

Thin, bordering medium but semi creamy body with light carbonation. Bitter cocoa and plum/ raisin finish.

There's nothing outright bad here but it lacks any real character that would make me want to revisit it. Quite smooth and very subdued. It left me wanting something with more gusto.

ThickNStout, Apr 11, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

This is just not the beer style for me. I picked this up as a single at a liquor store in town in hopes of finding a new style that I would like. I could not have been more disappointed. The mouthfeel felt like a mentos and diet coke in my mouth at the same time. Just fizzy. The taste was alright, subtle oatmeal there, but didn't taste bad. But the way it felt in my mouth was too much for me to overcome with this beer.

tykees88, Feb 07, 2010

garuda, Feb 20, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

DEATHLYEVIL, Sep 21, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

Ordered a bottle of this at the Northstar Cafe at Easton after a little Christmas shopping.

No freshness date, but when I poured it I suspected that it might be a little old. Despite a vigorous pour, I got essentially no head. At first glance it is a dark ebony but as the light hits it you see that it is slightly transparent and more of a thin watery coffee color.

Smell was a little lacking, but the usual suspects come to bat here. Mild roasted coffee aromas, some chocolate malt. There's also some hop bitterness adding a little edge to the smell.

The flavor profile turned out to be pretty decent, my main qualm was that it tasted more like a bitter porter than a smooth oatmeal stout. Lots of coffee bitterness and hop bitterness intermingling. I didn't care for it. There was an unpleasant prickling feeling on the tongue from the beer. It wasn't the carbonation (which was too low). I almost think it was the alcohol, but it's hard to suggest that a 5.2% beer tasted 'hot,' yet that's precisely what it felt like.

The bottle suggested the beer was smooth from the oats. I detected no oats, and it certainly was not smooth. Watery and too thin for a stout to top it off.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but it was under-carbonated, and not very proper for the style imo. There are much better examples that are just as easy to find if you're looking for a good oatmeal stout.

Spider889, Dec 23, 2010