New Holland The Poet - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland The PoetNew Holland The Poet

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

IBU's: 40

(Beer added by: inebrius on 02-01-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland The Poet Alström Bros
Zanico

08-04-2013 10:41:33 | More by Zanico
npendres

Wisconsin

10-11-2012 01:31:50 | More by npendres
biglite351

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

I was not impressed with this beer. I poured it into my glass and liked what I saw. Great color and a nice froth. Then I tool a smell. I could barely smell anything. What smell there was is okay, but it is very weak. Then I took a drink. Once again, barely there. What there is was okay, but nothing special. No real bitterness. I would compare this to a light beer, only in stout form. Much like actual light beers you could probably drink a few of these without feeling overwhelmed. However, with it's lack of overall flavor, I am not sure that it would be worth it. If it was at a party I would drink it, I just won't be buying it for myself in any quantity.

01-31-2010 21:19:08 | More by biglite351

07-14-2013 03:35:16 | More by Rau71
samie85

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a very deep brown color with a one and a half finger head.

S-Sweet and roasted coffee malt with a slight earthiness on the finish.

T-Pretty one note and it's roasty with some sweeter roasted notes and a pretty dry finish.

M-A little thin feeling in the mouth for an oat stout and pretty dry with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D-Not my idea of a great oatmeal stout, but I'm sure others prefer the roastiness of this beer.

12-02-2010 02:35:46 | More by samie85
gopens44

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

A - High hopes based on the appearance. Aggressive pour into a pint glass (Cricket Hill I think). Head grew into about an 1 1/2" foamy mocha colored lace ladened creation.

S - No big surprise, not bad, medium bold espresso smell

T - At first it was enjoyable. There was certainly a roasted barley / espresso taste, but there was also a (and you can feel free to call me crazy on this) taste that was similar to that of taking a big mouthful of fresh snow. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the initial back end taste that I got. Not strong, but it was there. While that particular essence was present, I found the beer quite refreshing. The refreshing snow taste disappeared though. After about drinking about 1/3 of the beer, there was a soy sauce taste that grew larger until the beer was finished. Didn't like that too much.

M - Medium carbonation, not too bad

I doubt that I'd go out of my way to try another. Admittedly, I like Imperials more than oatmeals, but Samuel Smith is better than this one.

08-27-2010 14:43:51 | More by gopens44
BuckeyeSlim

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A - One-finger head of thick dark tan foam that collapses quickly to leave a very thin layer of lace on the surface and a ring around the glass. Beer is coffee black and solidly opaque.

S - Nose is pretty faint, but well-roasted malt and dark chocolate are present. Even letting it warm in the glass and giving it plenty of swirling doesn't generate much.

T - Bitter dark chocolate melted into a moderately roasted cup of coffee. Caramel and oats appear in the background that sweeten the initial impression. Faint trace of bittering hops gives the finish a bit of an cleansing edge. There just isn't much of what's there in any given quaff. It begs to have the volume turned up.

M - Creamy and very smooth. Light carbonation. Seems too thin and watery. Lacks structure. Not much of a finish that lingers.

D - The oatmeal smooths the edges off the typical stout bitterness, making this style more enjoyable, but the flavors are too subdued, resulting in a beer that doesn't stand out in any way and make me want to drink another. The word "inoffensive" is what comes to mind.

12-31-2010 05:19:19 | More by BuckeyeSlim
muddyriverduck

2.9/5  rDev -26%

My first review...here goes.

Bought a single bottle of Poet at a local general store. This will be my one and only "sweet dreams", before bedtime beer of the evening.

Poured this brew from the 12-oz bottle into a sifter. I found the color dark brown, almost black with a very thin carmel-colored head. Pretty standard for a stout.

I had a hard time smelling anything at first. Two factors affecting the smell as I see it. 1). I had some habanero salsa 30 minutes ago, and 2). The fridge is too cold for stout. I picked up hints of chocolate and tree bark as the glass warmed and my olfactory parts cooled.

The flavor was nothing special. Chocolate and oak upfront, with an achohol aftertaste. OK, but nothing special.

Felt very thin in the mouth for a stout, with a little bit of carbonation. I like my stout with a little more substance behind it.

Very drinkable, especially for someone not into stouts. This seems to be a stout you would break someone into the genre with. The average Bud drinker might be able to make it through a bottle without too much trouble.

Overall...ok. Bored me. I would probably drink it again, but I won't make a special trip for it.

Edit: I just noticed that the two lowest reviews for Poet are mine and benmiliron's, both of us from Toledo. I smell a conspiracy here with New Holland shipping their worst batchs to Toledo. No respect man.

03-09-2007 04:33:08 | More by muddyriverduck
mrasskicktastic

2.9/5  rDev -26%

A - Brown just shy of black. Small head, no lacing.

S - Faintly smells like tea made from roasted brown rice, old, spent bad coffee grounds and very faint burnt sugar. Not much going on.

T - Dark flavors, black patent and faint rice tea. Slight nutty. Aftertaste is a bit of black patent and a mild earthy/woodsy bitterness. It's okay.

M - Medium to thin body, a little harsh and only a little refreshing.

D - It's okay. Very average. Not great, but it lacks anything significantly unpleasant. There are a lot of other, better oatmeal stouts out there.

06-28-2012 04:52:31 | More by mrasskicktastic
Lawl3ss

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 33 cl shaker. Bottling date 11.27.12.

Look- Pours a clear deep brown with a finger and a half of dense khaki head that falls quickly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Overwhelmingly smells of leather and tobacco smoke. Pungent, almost abrasive. As it warms, it takes on a more toasted coconut-cocoa aroma, which is nice, but I can't shake the feeling of a fifty-year-old biker bar. Not a deal breaker, but moderately off-putting.

Taste- Still a bit leathery, but feels appropriate. Dark roast coffee, charred hazelnuts, baker's chocolate. Light sweetness towards the end. Mellow, toasted biscuit finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Cleaner than expected, light fullness on the back end. Not hefty enough for an oatmeal stout, could use some stick.

Overall- A bit lackluster for an oatmeal stout- misses on a few counts and feels less than cohesive. I wouldn't avoid it, but it's not something I'd purchase/order unless there was nothing else in the category available.

04-29-2013 04:15:56 | More by Lawl3ss
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

Sampled at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Black, off-white head, not much retention, some lace.

S: Tart coffee? Roasty.

T: Fairly dry & roasty, but not burnt. Hint of fruity esters, slight tartness.

M: Moderate body is dry. Carbonation is lower than moderate. I thought it could use some more creamy smoothness (seemed like more of a dry stout than an oatmeal stout).

D: Too dry for my liking.

08-12-2006 18:52:46 | More by Derek
VncentLIFE

Thanks Kyle!

Pour was a dark brown, almost black. Small white head.

Smell was a bit off. Fusel alcohols, hints of oatmeal.

Taste was interesting. I get hints of leafy tobacco, smoke, and a sweet feeling. Very light body, almost porter like. Rather simple, no real malt backbone. Feels light, and the leafy feeling reminds me of Sugar Plum Brown by CCB.

02-12-2012 02:26:08 | More by VncentLIFE
scratch69

Missouri

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

I Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown with a tan head that quickly fades. Thin lacing.

Smell- A faint smell of dark roasted malt and a touch of sweetness.

Taste- Toffee like sweetness with hints of coffee and dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Thin and slightly watery. Nice carbonation.

Overall- For a stout this beer is a little thin on the flavor and mouthfeel. Not a bad beer but New Holland could have done better.

10-22-2011 20:48:50 | More by scratch69