New Holland The Poet - New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland The PoetNew Holland The Poet

New Holland Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.20% ABV

IBU's: 40

(Beer added by: inebrius on 02-01-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of New Holland The Poet Alström Bros

smartassboiler, Feb 13, 2014

themind, Aug 09, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours almost pitch black with an average sized tan head. Aroma is roasted malts, almonds, and chocolates. Smells very sweet. Taste is a creamy, coffee malt that goes down very smooth. Somewhat of a heavy beer. Unpleasant aftertaste. Overall not a bad beer, just not for me.

sween100, Apr 28, 2014

jaidenjb, Mar 06, 2012

igarfield88, Aug 22, 2014

intangible, Apr 04, 2014

partisan, Dec 15, 2013

VaporDome, Jul 12, 2014

klipper, Aug 31, 2014

Jonker1, Apr 05, 2014

Pours a fairly deep black, that lets a good amount of light through around the edges. Creamy two finger head has decent retention, and leaves behind a little lacing, and a small blanket of foam on top.

Aroma is odd. Toasted malts, biscuits, fresh bread, and quite a bit of fruity esters from the yeast. This smells like it was fermented hot. Nice malt aromas, but the fruity aromas kill it.

Flavor is much the same. Nice malty backbone with good toasty flavors, but the yeast esters kill it. No roasted malt flavors, and no hops. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for being an oatmeal stout. Drinkability is pretty good.

This is a decent beer, but not great. Not nearly as impressive as New Holland's Big Beer series.

phisig137, Jan 16, 2007

ChicagoNick, Jan 14, 2013

craft_shannie, Apr 21, 2013

KerryCummins1977, Jun 14, 2013

chuckania, Aug 01, 2014

I don’t care what this beer tastes like, I love the label! It makes me think of Edgar Allen Poe. You know, the poet. Anyway, this beer has a sweet label and based on everything I have read, has a pretty sweet and roasty flavor to it. I like it when a beer is described as “creamy”. I don’t usually like stouts, unless I am in the mood, but this one is an oatmeal stout. Should be good. The oats help to bring down the bitterness of the beer.

In the Glass: This is a very dark beer that has a pretty weak lace. The foam on the top though is something to take note of. It has a thin layer of bubbles that makes me think it will have a hint of carbonation. But I wonder since this beer is supposed to be rich and creamy.

Nose: The nose gives me hints of dark chocolate and caramel. There is a bit of smokiness to it as well. I read somewhere that it has a “campfire” sort of smell. I can see where that comes from. I almost liken this to the nose you get on a properly aged bourbon.

Flavor: There are some serious bubbles at the beginning, and then the sweetness kicks in. When you swallow the dark fruity flavors start to creep up, and you are hit with the bitter aftertaste. I wouldn’t call this beer creamy, but the entire palate gets something here. It’s smooth, sans the bubbles, and that sweetness sticks around on the back of your palate.

Mouthfeel: The bubbles are the first thing you experience, but then the beer rounds itself well as it crosses the tongue and as you swallow. I wouldn’t say it reminds me of a soda… but it’s close. But when the sweet and dark aftertaste kicks in, the roundness fades and you are left with a smokey aftertaste that makes you want to start a fire.

Aftertaste: I have hinted at the aftertaste already, but it’s smooth, sweet, and almost reminds me of a dark chocolate aftertaste. Not good chocolate, like something you get for Christmas, but just decent chocolate that you pick up at the grocery store. It’s good though, and as the aftertaste fades, it’s OK to take another sip as this beer doesn’t have a very big ABV.

I have had this beer before, but now that I am writing to appreciate these beers, I can spend more time thinking about the overall enjoyment of it. I like it. I would order it, but under the right circumstances. It’s not the best stout I have ever had, but it does do a good stout justice. If you are looking for a good stout to have in the winter (wouldn’t suggest drinking this in the summertime) give this one a try. It’s also affordable as well.

rickyleepotts, Feb 27, 2012

Kpitevl, Dec 17, 2012

KFrank729, May 02, 2014

djrn2, Feb 16, 2012

bmjivi221, Aug 08, 2013

Living nearby the Poe museum, I applaud the shout out to the poet, I just wish the beer kept up its end of the bargain better.

A - A plentiful, yet quickly vanishing, 2" head covered this black stout with a reddish tint around the edges.

S - Slight licorice smell

T - Quite sweet, with hints of roasted malts and an ending bitterness. If I had not read the label, I would have mistaken this for a porter.

M - smooth, clean, mild

D - Like a true komodo dragon, I was hopiong for some some more bite.

KomodoDragon, Jan 08, 2011