Green Diamonds Imperial IPA - Other Half Brewing Co.

Green Diamonds Imperial IPA
No picture uploaded.

Other Half Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

An imperial IPA brewed with Golden Promise malt and lots of Australian Galaxy hops.

(Beer added by: metter98 on 12-10-2013)
Reviews by Neffbeer:

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Other Half Brewing "Green Diamonds Imperial IPA"
On-tap at the tasting room, 23 August 2014

This is an interesting beer for me in that I didn't really find it "Imperial", it just came across as a hopped-up kind of west coast IPA. I was looking for more malt, I was looking for more strength, I expected more body... I didn't find it. In fact, I didn't even find the nose to be really bright. It was good overall, and I appreciated the pungent and citrusy hops, but it didn't slap me in the face. So is that good, or is that bad? I don't know. I think the "Imperial" designation kind of skews things. What I found was a very well-rounded, and well-balanced, lightly super-charged IPA. I'm sure it's strong, there's no doubt about that, but it didn't come off like that - this could be one dangerous beer!!! So beyond the hidden strength, what I can say is that I liked the different layers of flavor that I found. It was resinous at one point, and then citrusy at the next, and then more common fruitiness followed. The malt would come in, and then go out like the tide. And it was bitter, but it wasn't overly bitter. It didn't build at the back of my throat as some do. There was a touch of underlying (maybe outlying is a better word) fermentation character but it never really stepped in.

Ahhh, I think I just got the name... this is made with Galaxy hops which are hard to come by so maybe those are the "green diamonds".

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer comes in a rich hazy medium amber orange.

The aroma is a bit lacking, though pungent, a bit of plastic, dank qualities, citrus peel.

As I drank this beer more, I got more Heady Topper qualities. A punch of bitterness in the front onto a sweetness of peaches and mango and passionfruit. Then onto this iconic "dank" and "yeast" flavor that I associate strongly with Heady Topper. I would compare it to that beer with a larger malt bill and more sweetness. On the back is a bit of astringency, but onto lots of grapefruit peel.

This is all surrounded by a clean, but with a medium to medium plus and almost chewy, smooth mouthfeel. The beer drinks towards a beer with 1% ABV lower than this.

Compared to All Green (Other Half's larger DIPA with different hops), this wins out as Other Half's best beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Growler fill from DeCiccos,

A: Strong copper burnish. Mushrooming white head with good ahesion. Lasys for 5 minutes until setting into 3 distinct, session-lasting distinct dollops. I was left with a frosted glass.

S: Warm malt creaminess. Orange, vegetal celery bark. Foundational and subtle cinnamon earthiness, but with peppery spice character of mace.

M: Grainy, sharp, semi-firm, well-attenuated. Slightly starchy.

T/O: Springing tartness and cooling evergreen. Sharp-cutting citrus, grapefruit, lime peel. Alcoholic mid: pleasant green plantain and playful garlic scape, and then early-season peach to finish with a gentle kiwi fruit aftertaste. Overall, flavor profile is much better developed, full spectrum. It compares more favorably in this aspect to the next best Galaxy, single-hopped beer I've had, benefiting from its higher ABV. The greenness can tend toward overaggressive and overmask some of the other flavors.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on-tap in a small tulip at The Jeffrey (New York, NY).

A: Orangey-amber with stiff 1/2 finger ivory head with good retention and a few streamers of lacing.

S: Big tropical fruit hop nose sprinkled with bits of pine resin and grapefruit citrus layered on a fairly benign, nondescript light malt backing

T: Excellent flavor profile following nicely from the nose with light caramel maltiness supporting a whopper tropical and grapefruit citrus fruity hoppiness dashed with pine resin. No yeast and only light alcohol taste. Moderately bitter.

M: A little thick and not as light as it could be. Light carbonation and medium-full body hurt drinkability somewhat.

O: I enjoyed Green Diamonds -- a little more readily drinkable with a bit lighter, drier feel and this would really be an eye-opener. Still a very nice beer.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I tried this beer on tap at the Blind Tiger Ale house. It went very well with a tangy vinigarette salad. I've never had "Australian galaxy hops", don't let the light color fool you, it's hoppy, like Cascade to the 3rd power, unique and worth trying. Stunning at first, but it sits well and does your palate justice in the end.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Green Diamonds Imperial IPA from Other Half Brewing Co.