Follow our progress ...

Other Half IPA | Other Half Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Other Half IPAOther Half IPA

Other Half Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A west coast style IPA packed with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Simcoe.

Added by metter98 on 12-10-2013

Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 268
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Served in a pint glass right from the growler.

Appearance: Cloudy gold with medium bubbles on the body.

Smell: Light hops, and I do mean light hops.

Taste: Smooth hops and heavy citrus.

Mouth: Medium carbonation though looking at the beer you would think it has more. Comes off a bit chewy...and but bready.

Overall: Good brew, personally around my way it's been getting a lot of hype but I can think of one or two IPAs which I hold to much higher throne. Salud!

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap (16 oz pour!) -deep amber with a 1-f, retreating head. The aroma is light, but the malt and hop flavors are very full and a pleasure. I would enjoy this as a daily quaff if available.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very solid beer. I would say a little underrated, let's not review this one against Juicy NE DIPAs...this is a classic IPA and very well done. Very good balance towards the bitter end, very nice appearance, just slightly hazy, a nice amber color. Clean, little dish soap.

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2-27-16 - On tap at The Smith in midtown east Manhattan. Our last stop of the night. Best IPA on tap. Tasty local brew from somewhere in New York. I'll need to stop back as this showed a whole lot of promise. Great late night spot with diverse crowd. I look forward to my next time here and next Other Half.

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can from the 1/15 release (one month old or thereabouts...)

Appearance: deep copper color, unlike most OH beers I've drunk. Hazy, with a tan-ish head sitting atop. Dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a solid ring of foam around the edge of the glass that lingers for the entire beer. Not much lacing at all.

Aroma: kind of weak, to be honest. I got a lot of sweet, caramelly malt character, a fair amount of subtle bitterness, and a little bit of lemon zest.

Taste: it got a little better as it warmed up, but I was underwhelmed by this beer for a flagship brew. I got a whole lot of bitterness, which I get as a "West coast" style IPA. This went along with a solid amount of sweetness, which isn't really something I'm looking for in an IPA. That being said, once the beer warmed a little, I did get a little bit of grapefruit rind to go with the pine and spruce flavor. I also got a little bit of orange pith, like if you licked your fingers after peeling an orange.

Feel: moderately heavy body, with a creamy, full mouthfeel. Not very active carbonation, but it didn't detract from the brew at all. NIce and sticky too.

Overall:a good, if not great brew from Other Half. I've loved most of their hoppy beers, but this wasn't on par with the other ones I've tried thus far.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Got these at the can release on 1/15/16, now reviewing it exactly a month later. Pours a burnt orange copper amber color. This beer has mellowed out and improved over the last month. This is an excellent example of a West Coast IPA. This has a great balance of grapefruit citrus, some pine, but not too bitter that would scare away novice IPA drinkers. When I first had this beer on tap, and again when I first had the cans, I thought to myself, for a brewery that focuses on IPA's, why is this their flagship? But after waiting the month, I can see why, although it's still not my favorite. But it's taken almost a 180 from the first can I opened a month ago. Back then I thought any future can release that has this beer is one worth skipping. Don't feel that way anymore.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

This can pours a hazy darkish amber with a small head and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like grapefruit, pine and a bit of a floral thing.

This is quite unlike the other OH IPA's I've had, it's more traditional East Coast style rather than the modern New England style. It's got a sturdy malt backbone, bready and not too sweet, with a burnt pine and grapefruit hop character. Solid, if slightly unexciting compared to their other hoppy delights.

This is medium bodied, with a crisp level of carbonation.

Nice stuff, but I prefer other OH IPA's for sure.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

Waited on line for a while on Saturday to grab this, even though there were some left at the end of the day. I love all of Other Half's beers and while this wasn't bad, it was a bit of a letdown compared to the other ones that I've had from them. There was plenty of hops, booze, and stickiness here but at the same time, this seemed a tad heavy and astringent, even though it still went down pretty easily!

Typical pour to this, for an Other Half offerings. Lots of lacing, a thick, spider web-like head, and with a copper hue to boot. Mostly clear, this had a nice appearance as the stickiness could be seen and not just tasted. Lots of weed and stone fruit in the nose with even more in the taste. Sappy, sticky, heavy, and a bit earthy, there wasn't any citrus to be found here as the stone fruit dominated in the mouthfeel. Dank from start to finish, this reminded me of something from Green Flash or Laguintas, as there were even hints of tobacco underneath everything. Good carbonation and a bit of rye rounded out the mouthfeel and body of this.

This was a bit strong but never did it seem like this beer was going knock me over. While not as flavorful as other Other Half beers, this was a fine IPA that would satisfy any hophead and aficionado of what they have been canning. Their standards have been so high that this feels underwhelming but I'm glad that I bought all of what was allotted as this seemed as the "basis" for what their IPA's were based off of. Worth a go once but not as good a "standard' as the Forever Ever...

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

My first beer from Other Half and it lived up to the hype. Had it on tap at Ambulance Brewhouse. Smooth - tasty - easily drinkable brew. Light for a IPA, nice fruity flavor. Will def drink again

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

What...one sniff and all I smelled was some skunk weed. Tastes like weed too.... I'm not a user but whoa....

Foamy head which dissipates quickly. No real lacing.

Aroma and taste of marihuana. I'm not sure which hop is doing that. I've had all before so maybe it's the combination or brew. Love the simcoe.

Drinks smooth. I could def have a few of these!!!!!!

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Deep orange hue. Semi creamy 1F head.

S: Strong stone fruit, mango, grapefruit. Resinous like a pine forest.

M: Medium light feel with good carbonation to ensure a crisp drinking experience.

T: Biscuit, graham cracker and caramel malt sweetness. Dank fruit flavors with a welcome tangerine and lounge citrus zest on top. Earthy and musty hops.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at a pop-up outdoor bar @ South Street Seaport. Hazy amber look to it. Aroma is sort of faint danky pine. The taste? Piney full on hop assault which is definitely pleasing and thirst-quenching but has an unpleasantly bitter finish. It's obvious why this is the most widely available OH offering...high quality but just doesn't meet the super high bar these guys have set with their superstars like Hop Showers, Mosaic and even Still GREEN. Very enjoyable but not quite there if you want the best OH has to offer. Go to Centre Street for that!

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Just a taste on tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. The quandry is why don't I like this beer? I'm an admitted un-hoppy guy. That's who I am. There most definately something going on here. Some good, some not so much.

Lemon merangue looking color with a slight tang, faltering head & thin body just don't do it for me. I get the fruit essences & am duly impressed, but unto itself, I keep asking what is this & why can't I like it...simply not my cuppa'

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

A nice solid ipa. Strongly hopped; dank and citrusy aroma, resiny finish. Also balanced by a more subtle but bready malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel, oily and slightly sticky. I will definetely have again.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours very cloudy gold color with a 1 finger creamy beige head that faded and left good spotty lacing. Smells of ripe grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange, lemon and all things citrus hops; mixed in are strong piney hops/pine cone, caramel, graham cracker, biscuit, floral hops and a mix of mild spices. Really fresh smelling hops, it was so hoppy it was slightly off balance but still damn fine to inhale. Tastes like it smells with strong grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange, lemon and all things citrus hops up front, with even hints if starfruit, coriander and apple skin swishing around before the toasted grains and malts kick in. Flavor has real nice blend of piney hops, caramel, graham cracker, pepper, tea leaf, a dry biscuit, floral hops, dry grass and mild floral hoppy spices. This seems dry hopped and yet hides the ABV well with just a slightly brash bitterness that is a little rough around the edges. Mouthfeel is thin and on the watery side with average carbonation, a medium body and good drinkability. Overall a very above average IPA that went down very easy.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

From 09/07/14 notes. 16 oz. pour for $8 at The Jeffrey in NYC.

Pours a hazy amber-burnt orange color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Citrus hops, fruity malts, bready malts. Taste is lightly bitter but mirrors the nose exactly. Medium body and low to moderate carb, light bitter bite.

Overall good but not their best IPA; I think that speaks more to how good their other (D)IPA's have been though. Nice citrus to it and easy to drink, worth checking out.

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in a hazy amber orange.

The aroma has a bit of malt sweetness, pine, earthy, green, and grapefruit.

The flavor has lots of pine, light malt body. There is not fruit quality to pick up on, with mostly resinous pine, earthy, and spice as the hop qualities.

One of my least favorite brews from the fantastic Other Half.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Terroir Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a short head covering the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of yeast are present in the nose along with some notes of yeast and slight bits of sourness.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of citrusy hops—grapefruit seems to stand out in particular—alogn with hints of yeast. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness and slight hints of sourness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer started off nice with some citrusy aromas and flavors but had some interesting hints of sourness and funk. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but definitely seemed unique.

Other Half IPA from Other Half Brewing Co.