Citra IPA - Other Half Brewing Co.

Citra IPA

to view more.
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

The aroma is clearly Citra of orange, grapefruit, and tropical essence.

The flavor follows with those citrus notes with no sweetness, but a light bready pale ale type malt in the middle. The beer has does not bitter heavily and drinks almost like a Citra pale ale.

Another well done hoppy brew by Other Half.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow. Citrus is fantastic but not at all overwhelming. Delicious, strong flavor (not overpowering). Delightful (but not weak in a weak way). A hop taste like I never had before. There was an beautiful sniff with each and every sip. I would recommend this beer to all.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm not an "identify every little subtle flavor and try to cleverly describe it to the masses" kind of guy. I am a guy who is fully on-board the "modern" citrus-driven west coast style IPA train though, and coming from that place I am happy to report that this is my new favorite NYC local beer.

This beer tastes the way I wish my Zombie Dust clone tasted. A perfect use of Citra hops in my opinion - not too bitter, awesome aroma, and balanced all the way through.

I would happily return to their dank little space nestled under the Gowanus to consume this stuff all day.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I hate writing reviews for Other Half, because I don't want too many people to catch on.

This is a phenomenal IPA, superbly hopped, big and juicy. A real treat if it's on tap.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 06/09/14 notes. Had a 16oz. pour of this in a tulip at Fools Gold in NYC.

a - Pours a somewhat hazy bright orange-amber color with two inches of cream color off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citra hops, oranges, tropical fruits, grapefruit, lemon zest, light resin, and fruity malts. Awesome nose.

t - Tastes of oranges, citrus hops, lemon, grapefruit, pine, resin, floral and herbal notes, and fruity malts. No bitter bite, loads of citra again. Light honeysuckle. Reall good taste.

m - Medium bodied and low carbonation, no bitterness at all. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was really nice. I haven't had a lot of their beers and liked All Green Everything, but not as much as some people, and I found this one great and much better...this is the best OH beer I've had so far. Super drinkable and lots of citra, would highly recommend.

Had 3 different growlers of Other Half stuff this weekend and rated them in this order : Hop Showers , Galaxy IPA, and Citra IPA. Very happy we have a local brewery who knows how to make excellent IPAs.

This one was solid for sure, but not as good as Hop Showers or Galaxy. It is a bit one dimensional, could use some more flavor. As dar482 noted in his review, it tastes more like an APA.

Very impressed by Other Half, with they have done so far they may be the local New York brewery to make the next great IPA/DIPA that the country will covet.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

So after hearing much hype, had two of these on tap at Blind Tiger Ale House in NYC. Color was typical orange/gold with a white sticky head. Aroma wasn't too strong, but I don't have the best nose.
It's exactly what you pay for. A well executed single-hop IPA that lets all the nuances of the strain shine. If you've ever had a citra single-hop pale or IPA before, you know what to expect. The only difference is this is done perfectly. Supremely drinkable. Bitterness is strong (I'm not a big fan of super-juicy IPA's that have huge aroma and fruits but no bite). Just enough toasted malt sweetness to balance.
Among 20 other taps, I chose to have this a second time. That alone tells me this is a fine brew. Again, it's nothing that will change the way you think about beer, but for what it is, it is done to perfection.

to view more.
Citra IPA from Other Half Brewing Co.