The Substance - Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.

The SubstanceThe Substance

Bissell Brothers Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

(Beer added by: Bowdoinbeerboy on 12-11-2013)
Reviews by Hendry:
4.8/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The trouble with under-the-radar IPAs is that they don't stay that way for long once word gets out, and there is no better example than The Substance Ale by Bissell Brothers.

Cloudy peach colored pour,gorgeous unfiltered beauty with a finger of soapy white head. Lacing is splotchy in the Fiddlehead tulip.

The aroma is exceptionally enticing, everything a hop head looks for:mango,grapefruit,
and pineapple make your mouth water, the underlying herbal quality is also apparent. Very promising nose indeed.

The taste closely mirrors the aroma, and it totally works. One of the most fruit juicy IPAs I've had the pleasure of consuming. There is a complexity to the flavors that gives me the idea that a lot of development went into just the right balance of ingredients. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden as well.

Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, and there is a certain softness about this brew that is a pleasure to drink. Finished dry and crisp.

My buddy in Maine has been raving about The Substance for months, and now I understand what all the excitement is about. If you are able to get your hands on this one, by all means do so! The Substance is highly recommended,and sure to please fans of hop heavy brew.

canned 8/27

A: Poured light hazy in the glass very light copper color but murky

S: it has to be the falconer hops I'm getting a spicy nose like this beer is going to bite and pine not resin but actual pine just almost sour I'm trying to describe it but it's hard. I have to say it has a smell all it's own I haven't encountered enough to describe

T: the taste embodies that smell it's like a spicy then wait it's balanced out by the malts very earthy a lot of ppl claim fruitiness I get none from this beer just earthy raw spiciness without the heat finishes smooth not like the upfront taste would make you think. it's almost bitter then it's gone.

M: Nice crisp mouthfeel with good carbonation

O: this beer confuses me I want to say oh it tastes like this of it tastes like that but really it has a unique taste maybe I'm unfamiliar with the flavor profile of falconer hops but I think this beer is unique

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.01/5  rDev -7.8%

I had this on tap at Frontier in Brunswick. It was served in a really cool pint glass. The beer was a hazy gold color with a good-sized white head. There was a fair amount of sticky lace.

An herbal, piney aroma. A bit of sweet malt.

Taste closely resembled the aroma. Herbal and piney hops. A little bit of caramel.

Hoppy, rustic mouthfeel.

Nice beer.

4.36/5  rDev +0.2%

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: ghostly golden yellow, I swear I saw smoke inside my glass

S: powerful citrus, light pine

T: fine balance of delicious bitterness with clean finish

M: surprising robustness

O: My new favorite. Look out Pliney & Topper, Maine has answered! Delicious in a 16 oz. can OR on draft around town if you can find it. I recommend getting a 1/4 keg and enjoying at home.

I think the quality of the draft beer has improved since their unveiling in December, seemed to have tweaked the carbonation or something.

I would keep an eye on this brewery, I expect great things to come.

-DLR

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

The Substance from Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.