The Substance - Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.

The SubstanceThe Substance

Bissell Brothers Brewing Co. visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Bowdoinbeerboy on 12-11-2013

Ratings: 740 | Reviews: 78

Don't pour this beer. Drink it right from the can. It is the finest Maine has to offer in an IPA. Enjoy.

Yeah, this is my 5 star beer. Not easy to get. Try the Great Lost Bear and keep an eye on facebook posts for can availability.

4.99/5  rDev +15%

A Poured into a beer mug, the color is cloudy golden and a little dull, but the smell totally overrides appearance. The carbonation was perfect, with a two finger head.

S Hops with a citrusy clean aroma.

T This has been my "go to" beer for a while. It tastes as good as it smells. I have had it on tap at the brewery (hours away from my home), poured from a can the day after it was canned, and a couple on tap at couple of pubs. I have had a few from the case I bought at BBB. But now, two months later (what is left of the case I have hoarded) has really come into its own. There is a hoppy, citrusy, bitterness that meets my expectations of an excellent beer.

M This beer flows perfect for me.

O I really like Bissell Brothers Substance! I have been trying other IPAs, but the only one that comes close, in my opinion, is Dogfish 90 minute IPA. Heading to VT next weekend to see what I can find there.

4.91/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing, hoppy ipa. All the flavors come together for great balance.

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

I need more of this in my life... wish it wasn't such a drive to get it.

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The trouble with under-the-radar IPAs is that they don't stay that way for long once word gets out, and there is no better example than The Substance Ale by Bissell Brothers.

Cloudy peach colored pour,gorgeous unfiltered beauty with a finger of soapy white head. Lacing is splotchy in the Fiddlehead tulip.

The aroma is exceptionally enticing, everything a hop head looks for:mango,grapefruit,
and pineapple make your mouth water, the underlying herbal quality is also apparent. Very promising nose indeed.

The taste closely mirrors the aroma, and it totally works. One of the most fruit juicy IPAs I've had the pleasure of consuming. There is a complexity to the flavors that gives me the idea that a lot of development went into just the right balance of ingredients. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden as well.

Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, and there is a certain softness about this brew that is a pleasure to drink. Finished dry and crisp.

My buddy in Maine has been raving about The Substance for months, and now I understand what all the excitement is about. If you are able to get your hands on this one, by all means do so! The Substance is highly recommended,and sure to please fans of hop heavy brew.

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Top 3 beer for me. Will wait in line for it any day of the week. A great experience from the nose, the feel, the euphoria and the taste. Well played Bissell.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Dry hopped, but not overwhelming.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is really great IPA.. definitely seek it out if you haven't it tried it yet.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Canned yesterday, drinking today! Fresh is definitely makes a big difference. I don't smell or taste as much of the citrus that other people report but I do get a fantastic hop aroma and flavor - more herbal, dank and funky - very unique flavor - can't quite put my finger on it. Smooth and drinkable. Excellent lacing and carbonation. This one has really grown on me since I first tried it. Another great beer from Maine!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: ghostly golden yellow, I swear I saw smoke inside my glass

S: powerful citrus, light pine

T: fine balance of delicious bitterness with clean finish

M: surprising robustness

O: My new favorite. Look out Pliney & Topper, Maine has answered! Delicious in a 16 oz. can OR on draft around town if you can find it. I recommend getting a 1/4 keg and enjoying at home.

I think the quality of the draft beer has improved since their unveiling in December, seemed to have tweaked the carbonation or something.

I would keep an eye on this brewery, I expect great things to come.

-DLR

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

Lighter in color than average, carbonation bordered on fizzy - lacey beyond compare though. Dynamite smell - grapefruit from out of this world. ABV was somewhat deceptive, drinks like a session IPA, but hits like a freight train.

4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Impressive to get this much hop flavor from a 6.6% IPA. Reminds me of Zombie Dust in that respect. Excellent!

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured a 6 day old can into a tulip glass. Amazed by the presentation. Massive white frothy head over a super light copper-ish colored ale, thick lacing all the way down. Smells of Pine, hints of citrus and melon. Tastes of delicious hoppy, dare I say, "Heady-like" goodness. Not super fruity nor spicy, kind-of a blend of the two. Super smooth, tiny-bubble kind of carbonation. Finishes easy and crisp. This is an amazing beer from a company that i'm so excited about. Hopefully they continue to push out beer as good as this. Cheers.

4.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another easy rider. Every crack of a new can throws hops in your face. Very drinkable its hard to tell its almost 7%. So glad this one is year round.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

really excellent beer -- hop forward, great mix of citrus, pine and slight malt.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- poured a slightly murky yellow with a huge, pillowy white foam.
S- floral and tropical hops
T- sweet citrus/tropical fruit. Mango.
M- light-medium feel, moderate carb. Not dry.
O- another fine beer from Bissell Bros.

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-The Substance pours a milky, cloudy yellow hue with a tight, skinny, white head that doesn't do all too much for lacing. It almost has an oily consistency to it when I look at it. I often find that hoppy beers that come out looking like this usually offer a specific hoppiness that I really enjoy, so I am quite excited.

S-Immediatley delivers with a puréed tropical fruit juice medley of aromatic hoppiness. Citrus, pineapple and guava. More hoppy aromas of pine and herb. A pale malty character that isn't overly detectable and a sweetness that probably comes from both hop and malt.

T-The initial flavor is exceptional. Juicy hops that stress tangerine, pineapple and maybe even some unripe pear; like a purée of exotic fruits. Grassy as well. Sweet, cracker or light biscuity malt. My only criticism is that the flavor sort of dies off quicker than it should; I want this flavor to linger longer!

M-Not excruciatingly bitter. Medium to soft carbonation. Medium bodied. I had about six pints so it was very drinkable.

O-Recently went to Maine, trying several beers and this one was the champion of the trip. The Substance gives off flavors that are set specifically to my taste buds. Delicious. Happy to scratch a notch into the bedpost after this one.

4.51/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

From a can purchased yesterday and canned 3 days ago. Very fresh beer from these guys and I'm very glad to have it!
A: goldish hay in color, clear, thin white lacing sticking to glass
S: citrusy, resiny, full, some sweetness, balanced
T: very similar to the nose, lots of hoppy goodness, pungent citrus and resiny, very smooth and crisp, very balanced flavors
M: good carb, very smooth light and refreshing
O: perfectly balanced beer from the Bissell brothers. This super smooth, very hoppy yet incredibly drinkable beer is perfectly balanced! Get some and drink fresh!

canned 8/27

A: Poured light hazy in the glass very light copper color but murky

S: it has to be the falconer hops I'm getting a spicy nose like this beer is going to bite and pine not resin but actual pine just almost sour I'm trying to describe it but it's hard. I have to say it has a smell all it's own I haven't encountered enough to describe

T: the taste embodies that smell it's like a spicy then wait it's balanced out by the malts very earthy a lot of ppl claim fruitiness I get none from this beer just earthy raw spiciness without the heat finishes smooth not like the upfront taste would make you think. it's almost bitter then it's gone.

M: Nice crisp mouthfeel with good carbonation

O: this beer confuses me I want to say oh it tastes like this of it tastes like that but really it has a unique taste maybe I'm unfamiliar with the flavor profile of falconer hops but I think this beer is unique

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

My undying gratitude goes out to my current "Character", Justin Chlan, who knows to look for CANned beer for me in his travels. He brought this back from a recent foray up to Maine in support of The CANQuest (TM). Cheers!

From the CAN: "The Substance Ale, a creation two years in the making, represents the past, present, and future of beer - Drawing from the wealth of knowledge of those that came before us while creating something entirely our own, waves of hop flavor permeate the senses as you [CAN]sume The Substance. We started Bissell Brothers for one reason - To use the short time that we have to live to make something awesome and share it with the world. Thank you for enjoying the fruits of our labors."; "keep maine beautiful. recycle."

No problem with that last as the spent CAN will be given to Jeff Lebo for his House of CANs. The Crack! gave me a little spritzy squirt across my fingers! This is usually the indication of good things ahead. I began with an inverted Glug, but I had to back off due to the pint-sized CAN. I was rewarded with three fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with reasonable retention. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5). Nose was very piney and now my hophead mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was a combination of grapefruit rind and pine needles and now my tongue was dancing in unbridled joy! Amazingly, though, after the initial wash of hops, it became very mellow and easy-drinking. I ran through that CAN like a hot knife through soft butter. The tastes commingled beautifully and I really enjoyed its finish. The finish was very citrusy and tickled the back of my throat going down. It was dry, but just enough to lead to the next sip. I definitely recommend this one for my fellow hopheads. Others should just leave it for the rest of us.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A wonderful treat received as an extra via @skinny_mcginley ..
Pours a hazy off gold with an initial two finger, and sustaining 1/4 inch head.
Smells dank grass, pinecones and sharp citrus.
The taste follows with a wonderful accompanying malt backbone and a nice spicy note courtesy of the rye.
This beer, like many other beers crafted in the great state of Maine is done supremely.
The taste is almost 'clean' given the water quality, which really allows the F.F hop blend to shine through.
A beautiful, well crafted example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 16oz can into an Alchemist Wili Becher.

Appearance- Hazy gold/orange one finger foamy white head that left nice lacing.

Smell- Tropical fruits and bitter pine. Pineapples, peaches, grassy and floral notes. It's nice and layered.

Taste- Much of the smells, but some mango and tangerine comes through. Pine and grass finishes this one. Well balanced. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, easy to drink, medium body, crisp, clean, nice bitterness.

Overall- A really nice IPA. Well done Bissel Bros. Can't wait to see whats in store for us in the future.

Great nose. An excellent beer

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I really like this beer. Big fan of Baby Genius as well. I really enjoyed the citrus aroma that this big IPA
Provided. Was able to find it on that at Novare Res Bier Café and the thirsty pig.

The Substance from Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.