Blonde - Columbia Kettle Works

pDev: n/a
Columbia Kettle Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Tucquan on 05-04-2014)
Reviews by TheNightwatchman:
3.75/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

4.13/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this on 2014-05-03 in Columbia, PA at the brewery.

A - Pretty clear, golden-orange with a 1.5-finger off-white head and very nice lace.

S - Pale malt, honey, light grass and hop floral. Mild but very pleasant.

T - Touch of hop bitterness up front then a rich malt backbone with the flavor of lightly toasted fresh bread with orange marmalade and green apple. The aftertaste retains a nice bread/fruit sweet/tartness while drying and moderate hop bitterness increases to an extent that I found most pleasant. This is a fine tasting beer.

M - Medium body and carbonation. It has a smooth, substantial feel. Not watery at all. Almost as if there are some oats or a good amount of wheat being used to increase mouthfeel. This really works for me.

O - I was surprised when I tasted this blonde ale as the first of the 4 beers in my flight since it had a hop presence that I wasn't expecting but which really complimented the rich malt backbone. While all the beers were good and well-crafted; this was my favorite and I ordered a pint and a growler to go. This beer certainly lurches into pale ale territory with the amount of hops but I wouldn't change the recipe to reduce the bitterness. It really works just the way it is since there is balancing sweetness. For comparison, I like it more than Victory's Summer Love blond ale. Well done.

Notes: IBUs listed as 35 on their chalkboard. I don't know how this compares to the BJCP guidelines, but it seems just about right to me. In case you are curious; here are the BJCP flavor guidelines for a Blonde Ale

Flavor: Initial soft malty sweetness, but optionally some light character malt flavor (e.g., bread, toast, biscuit, wheat) can also be present. Caramel flavors typically absent. Low to medium esters optional, but are commonly found in many examples. Light to moderate hop flavor (any variety), but shouldn’t be overly aggressive. Low to medium bitterness, but the balance is normally towards the malt. Finishes medium-dry to somewhat sweet. No diacetyl.

2.75/5  rDev n/a

Blonde from Columbia Kettle Works
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.