Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Spencer Trappist Ale - Spencer Brewery

Spencer Trappist AleSpencer Trappist Ale

good

Spencer Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-27-2013

America's first Trappist beer.

Our recipe was inspired by the traditional refectory ales known as patersbier ("fathers' beer" in Flemish). These sessionable beers are brewed by the monks for their dinner table and are typically only available at the monastery. Spencer is a full-bodied, golden-hued ale with fruity accents, a dry finish and light hop bitterness. The beer is unfiltered and unpasteurized, preserving live yeast that naturally carbonates the beer in the bottle and keg, and contributes to the beer flavor and aroma.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spencer Trappist Ale Alström Bros

During a trip from my native Philadelphia to Spencer, I had the opportunity to try Spencer Trappist Ale on tap at the Black and White Restaurant near Saint Joseph's Abbey. The experience was a rare treat. I was overwhelmed by the light yeasty aroma . I thought I could smell a light citrus or almost clove smell. A beautiful amber, cloudy color.The taste was superb- dry, and better than any other Belgian I've tried. I found my way to a local Spirits shop where I bought two cases to take home. This my friends, will be an ale that will be around for the ages. (561 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Spencer Brewery - Spencer Trappist Ale, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

Look - Pours a hazy straw orange with a good sized foamy head with a fizzy unerlay, retains a slight amount. Good lacing. Very good looking brew.

Smell - Deep Belgian candy, sour yeast, banana, apple, caramel, spices, melon. Incredibly complex and balanced Belgian pale.

Taste - Sour, tart, and fruity with spice and zest. Complexity of a tripel but subdued to a more casual cousin.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation. Bubbly and dry. So clean and crisp as all hell. Zero booziness. Could drink this for a considerably amount of time.

Overall - Fantastic, just fantastic. This is a highly underrated gem that even Allagash would be proud of. (733 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +19.1%

Lucky enough to get to try this at the brewery. Certainly an experience I won't ever forget...

An easy drinking and Wildly refreshing Trappist ale that has the character and complexities in both aroma and taste, to stand up with it's sister beers from overseas. American Trappist works for me. Look forward to seeking this one out when it's in retail. (352 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

writing on the fly, no detailed notes available.

gorgeous color, rocky off white head, disapates quickly.

fresh eastern nose, lots of clove and banana, very clean.

bright, clean, refreshing. rich in the mouth, but balanced by healthy amounts carbonation.

well balanced, traditional, but extremely fresh. the perks of being in MA...looking forward to regular consumption! (379 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured out of a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice served cool

The beer has a very nice cloudy gold body with a very very nice thick head

The yeast smell in the front is absolutely intoxicating seemingly very Chimay-like

Strong clove and spice front some malt in the middle with some medicinal flavors at the end

Light and very very very carbonated

I very much enjoyed this beer I will have it again and it reminds me of what a fresh Trappist ale in Belgium must taste like (474 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Fantastic! What a great beer. Expensive but well worth it. With a light wheat-y base and notes of darker fruit in the background, this beer is awesome. I would highly recommend it and as a citizen of Massachusetts I am so proud this comes from my state. Hunt this down and try it, outstanding. (293 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was pleasantly surprised to find this (11.2 ounce singles) at a local shop.
Poured into a 16-ounce red wine glass.

A: Deep, gold straw-yellow color. Short but active head, with a permanent film left behind on the surface. Lacing is irregular and streaky.

S: Strong, sweet, overripe banana; plum; very appealing hints of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg...clove?). Barely tart, but earthy, not citrusy.
Fairly typical Belgian Ale-type esters, but quite pronounced. Very, very nice.

T: Profoundly malty, sweet, chewy. French-Toast-like feel, overall.
Flavors of banana, prune, raisin; hints of spice warm things up. As it warms, more hot/peppery flavors seem to linger.

M: Crisp, aggressive carbonation. Refreshing, but satisfying. Slick, dry finish.

O: I really, really like this stuff. Spencer Brewery's distribution area has been growing, and I'm glad I could sample their goods.
I look forward to cellaring a few bottles...this stuff ought to age well. (965 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer #200. Poured into a snifter/goblet type glass.

A: Apricot colored with a large, off-white head and a large amount of lacing. Small amount of white sediment floating around, with more collected at the bottom of the glass.

S: Sweet and fruity. Peach, apricot, and slight banana notes. Very pleasant and typical of the style.

T: Very much like the smell. Candy sweet and a bit fruity. Slightly bitter on the finish and aftertaste.

M: Light and refreshing, not too heavy on the carbonation. A bit sticky on the sweetness, but not too much.

O: A very good example of the style. This beer would not be out of place among its native Belgian counterparts. Here's hoping that the brothers at Saint Joseph's have started a strong Trappist brewing tradition here in the USA. (773 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: clear, straw color; nice rich foamy head upon the pour that gradually settles; gentle upward cascade of carbonation

Smell: definite notes of banana and cloves, some citrus coming through

Taste: lots of banana still there and cloves are more prominent on the palate; slightly tart taste (possibly sour apple?) with a slight lemony finish

Mouthfeel: light, clean, crisp mouthfeel; nice tickle of carbonation, but not too much; honestly, it was about as close to perfect as you can get

Overall: I was eager to try the first American Trappist ale and it did not disappoint! As far as I'm concerned, this is a textbook example of a good...no, great...Trappist ale. Fresh tasting, clean, fruity with a bit of spice. Even the carbonation reminded me of little angels flying up to heaven. Too poetic? Perhaps, but this beer deserves a little poetry. Amazing offering! (875 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I started this account after opening the bottle representing Mount Olympia.

This beer is the nectar of the gods. Heavenly bodied with subtle hints of angel sweat.
This was obviously created by the same pure-minded men that could carry the weight of knowing such feats needed to craft such immaculate brew.

One day, the good Lord graced down upon the Monastery in Spencer, her playful finger rubbing the inside walls like kisses from a not yet burning bush.

The flavor is not unlike a descent into madness...a Lovecraftian journey of the macabre, escapable only by it's smooth head and legs for days.

I suggest, no I DEMAND you suckle on this virginal teet of delight. You will try to find a perfect pairing, but that pairing is only found within another glass.

So gentle, so sublime. I weep at the thought of finishing the last bottle.

Dreams of love and life are in the bubbles of this salacious brew.

If this were the materials the Founding Fathers used in creating our country, we would be without war, without poverty, without sadness.

You will pray for the souls that are unable to imbibe the Trappist Ale.

I love you.

Maxell couldn't be further from the truth. Adjectives do no justice for this liquid ambrosia. (1,232 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was quite surprised at how much this reminds me of a Belgian Ale. It was not as heavy and filling but full of fruity flavors and plenty of spices. A very good beer but quite pricey. (185 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From zythoz.com. although recent to the market, this usa trappist monks have rounded it. Perfectly balanced beer. Its a pity the hard it is to get it here in Spain. Consumed while playing kings bounty dark side (210 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I live a short distance down Route 31 from the Abbey in glamorous Spencer, and am a little embarrassed to have come so late to the party and am even more embarrassed to find 161 reviews of this brew here already. In my defense, I had some slight difficulty getting hold of it, as it sold out rather quickly here, and at $18 for a four-pack, it was well outside the current normal Rumpole budget for beer.

The price and the odd decision to use the European 11.2 oz size rather than the even 12 oz used in the New World (outside of Labatt's bizarre insistence on its very own 11.5) pretty much sums up the negatives.

Long ago I was a beer snob. Some time since I gave up such pretensions and am now admittedly far more familiar with significantly cheaper fare than this, so I cannot claim to add an experienced palate to the discussion. I will say this: don't rush to judgment on this one because you risk the mistake of thinking they went too slow-pitch to start.

The color is a cloudy honey amber, and the foam is a white dome a solid inch think or more, likely because of Rumpole's habitually clumsy pouring technique, the result of years of adjunct taste-offs. It is pleasantly fizzy, apparently more so than is the norm for the type going by past reviews, but it did not occur to me to be a detraction in any way at the time of tasting.

With scent and taste the best thing is to leave you on your own. It is not weak nor is it strong. It is not light but it is not boozy and the 6.5% slides in without a ruffle of a feather. You'll likely find some of the things mentioned here, such as banana, coriander, clove, nutmeg and so forth. But you'll also find things not mentioned here that are just your own. And you'll find different things from sip to sip. This beer is not a bludgeon, like so many at this price level; and if you don't pay some mind, you might mistake it as too easy going for the expense paid. But given time and proper contemplation, if you'll forgive that choice of word, you'll be rewarded with a multitude of subtler pleasures. A brew that grows on you when approached with kindness. (2,114 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a goblet. Was a little concerned when opening the bottle produced a mild gusher, but less than 1/8 of the bottle escaped in total. I just hope the rest of the pack doesn't follow suit.

Look: Pours a beautiful hazy orange, can barely see the shadow of my hand through it. Started off with a thick, 2 finger head that has slow died back to a nice capping of foam.
Smell: Dead on for a Trappist Ale. Bananas and pepper both easily detectable.
Taste: Dead in line with the smell. Yeasty, bananas and pepper. A hint of hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. Infinitely drinkable.
Feel: Nice carbonation, not too heavy.
Overall: Was a serious effort to get a hold of this gem where I live, but man am I glad I went to the effort (and expense). Easily one of my top 3 Trappist ales. (810 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I joined beeradvocate specifically so that I could leave a review of this ale. Bought a 4 pack on Friday evening. Will buy again soon. I had pretty much given up beer, but this is extremely agreeable tasting and leaves me wanting more and not feeling bloated. I appreciate the conscientious way that the monastery makes this ale.

Served in a chilled glass mug at approximately 38 - 40 degrees

About an inch of head when poured.

Cloudy amber in color, nice frothy head. Very nice mouthfeel, natural carbonation is just right.

Hints of nutmeg and banana.. Fruity. Mildly bitter.

Nice fruity finish, some hint of nutmeg lingering? (633 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a tulip this beer has a bright hazy golden orange hue with a puffy 3 inch head. Smell of apricot with orange citrus and a bit of malt. Taste of apricot, yeast, a tiny malt presence on the back end, bit of orange citrus, very sweet and fruity. A very complex and crisply drinkable beer with a light to moderate mouth feel. (333 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is my first Trappist Ale, and I have to say I will definitely be trying more. I first heard about this beer from a friend, so on a recent trip to Massachussetts I picked up a four pack from a store and tried it. I did not have the preferred glass, so I poured it into a pint glass which was, of course, a little big. The smell was pleasant but not perfect with a quite malty aroma, but what really hit me was how smooth yet robust the mouth feel was. It was a real pleasure to taste, and I found myself lingering on each sip before swallowing, trying to catch all the flavors, as there were quite a few I hadn't tasted in a beer before. Something in it reminded me of the peaty flavors of an Islay Scotch. In any case, a quite enjoyable beer, even for someone like me who's generally leans more towards the more hoppy varieties. (833 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours an Amber color with a thick head, nearly overflows the glass on a gentle pour. Head recedes with foamy lacing. smells greasy, sweet banana. tastes sweet, lots of slife, nutmeg stands out. really carbonated on the pour, but carbonation dies quickly.

Really enjoyable (272 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Cloudy marigold color. Lichen-like pocked retention hangs around for a few innings of Dodgers vs. Padres.

Smells right is my first thought. Must aplenty. Sharp sawdust spice. Sweet golden ripe golden pear malt. Mustard seed?

Tastes right too. I know that trappist is a list of requirements not a mark of quality but one comes to associate one with the other. And this trappist can hang. Misc golden fruits - apricot, golden raisin, golden bear. Golden Grahams but not really. Supadry.

Why is it that a monastery can just up and pop out a trappist beer and hit the nail on the head while many other fine brewpubs have been serving up meh trappist style beers for years? (698 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Excited I was able to get a single of this brew donated from a friend who has a relative who is a monk at the monastery. I've been dying to have a Trappist ale in a while. Let's see how this measures up

Appearance: pours a straw-yellow, golden but has a nice orange, Amber-like hue in the middle. Leaves behind an impressive frothy, white head about 3 inches high that takes several minutes to dissipate even slightly. Inviting indeed.

Smell: instant aromas are sent out of Belgian yeast along with a somewhat hint of caramelized malts. Somewhat touch of banana possibly and maybe cloves. Malts and the Belgian yeast make an impressive combo.

Taste: first sips and what is revealed is quite good. Belgian malts, traditional Belgian yeast. Banana favors and slight cloves add to the flavor. Sweet and a bit sour at the same time makes this a well-tolerable brew. A little caramelized, but at the same time only bready. Towards the end, orange zest and some grassy malts come into play, again making this quite a complex brew in all the right ways.

Mouthfeel: crisp and very smooth. Medium body and medium carbonation. Finishes somewhat sweet and somewhat dry at the same time. Delicious.

Overall: getting this brew by pure luck was nothing but joy for me. Cracking it open was the first step to a great brew. This is a traditional Trappist ale to the fullest. Delicious, complex, and full flavored. Everything I've pretty much wanted In a Belgian ale. Like a mix of wild yeast and traditional. I would totally try again (I received two bottles) and would totally recommend to a friend (if I'm willing to share). Cheers! (1,623 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best Belgian from Massachusetts. The appearance was a nice hazy dark yellow, although the head was very fizzy. The smell was full of Belgian wheat giving the smell of bananas and herbs like sage. The taste was full of mint, sage, and banana giving a classic Belgian ale flavor that was very well done. The mouthfeel was also very nice with a medium body which worked with the flavors very well. Really enjoyed this one. (419 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Pours a deep golden orange color. Quite hazy. I started pouring slowly into a tulip, but then tried a bit more vigor when little head sprang up. Big mistake. Decent overflow from a towering, billowy head. It receded quickly, and did not leave much, if any lacing.

S - Bold, distinct, and hard to miss. Typical hefe type aromas - light banana and very mild spice.

T - I really liked it! Follows the nose, but adds a bit of lemongrass. The flavor really comes through quite cleanly, which I like.

M - My favorite part of this beer. Luscious carbonation and a dry finish. Light tingle on the tongue. Clean. Crisp. Fantastic.

O - I really enjoyed this, and I really hope the price comes down. I stumbled across this at a local restaurant and ordered it immediately. Great choice. (783 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%

This is a great beer. Fits the style perfectly and is an excellent example of what a Trappist Ale should be.

The appearance of this beer is bright, golden with a white fluffy, styrofoam-y, tightly laced head that dissolves rather quickly while sitting in the glass undisturbed. Slight haze as with most Belgian Pale Ales.

Aromas of cloves, bananas, apricots, apple peels and the stereotypical belgian yeast comes through. I detect no strong characters of hops, as the other smells seem to overwhelm however few hops were used. Excellent, inviting smell, that beckons the drinker to consume thoughtfully.

Upfront, my initial taste is a yeasty-breadlike quality. This is quickly washed over by flavors of phenols represented by bananas, cloves and fruity yeasty apple esters. The balance of this beer is supreme. It is sweet; malty, dry finish. Fruity; apples, apricots.
The malty and fruity flavors are paired nicely with the hop schedule of this beer. The brewing process leaves the palate ready for another sip, bite of food, or a minute of reflection. Great tasting beer, not too complex, but retains layers of flavor that can be analyzed on many levels.

After smelling and tasting, this beer is left to be "felt." The mouthfeel of this particular Trappist Ale is, for lack of a better term, fun. Small champagne-like effervescence, crisp and light the way it should be. The carbonation and weight of the beer itself lends itself to enhancing this beers character. Had this been heavier, more/less carbonated, this beer would be much different. Light, crisp, tiny-bubbled dry finish.

I would and I will have this beer again. I enjoyed it very much and I like that it has a profile that can be paired with food, or just enjoyed by itself. This is a great Trappist Ale and anyone who wants to venture from say, pilsner's or IPA's and into the world of true yeast character would definitely enjoy trying this beer. (1,921 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This review could be tainted, as I want to like this beer. Great story about a group of monks an hour away from Boston doing something very interesting. Got a 4-pack from Bauer - great store. I told my wife I'd meet her 30 minutes ago, but I had to try this right away. Worthy reason to be late I think.
This poured a nice darker golden color with a small head and lasting lacing. Nice fruity smell was encouraging. The taste was very clean, with nice balance of yeast and hops - what stuck out was the carbonation. This seemed different than my recollection of the Belgians. Each taste though is so good - can't believe these guys just got started. I am already starting my plan to do a tour there - I heard they haven't planned on doing tours yet, so may result in a late night kicking in the door. No matter what, nice job. $20 for a 4 pack is a little on the high side, but it is worth it. (894 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From bottled batch one of January 2014. Sampled on January 25, 2014.

The pour is golden with a slight haze and decent carbonation bubbling up to a white fizzy head that dissolves quickly.

The aromas include Belgian pale malts, toasted biscuit, candied sugar, pear, apple, and spices.

The body is medium and smooth.

The taste evolves from a toasted biscuit character to the "meaty" fruit character of apples and pear and the clove creeps on the back end to top it all. Very nicely done and reflects well on the original Trappist Ales from Europe. (549 characters)

Spencer Trappist Ale from Spencer Brewery