Saint Arnold Christmas Ale - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Old Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-12-2001

this is a fun beer to drink.anything with the name christmas in it cant be all bad.nice creamy head moderate lacing done the glass.comes in a screw top top for ease in opening.not a advantage to the home brewer.nice floral aroma and nice hoppy flavor.taste good perfect for the holidays.

4.77/5  rDev +28.6%

On tap at BJ's, also at Molly's, but I have a good many bottles at home. Rich brownish red color, nice fine head (flufs more from the bottle, but probably the bartender). I want to say I can smell spices and definitely the malt - not much for hop, which is good here. Goes down smooth and creamy, better than most christmas ales. I could sip this all night, at least until the 7.3% ABV did me in.

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Bottle Inspection: Hand pulled cask served by the Gingerman in Austin.

Aroma: A bit of wood from a generally passive nose. Lightly spiced malt is all I can report.

Appearance: Looked nice, took a while to settle down to a full creamy off white head that lasted all the way through the beer, and is probably still sitting in the bottom of the mug back at the bar.

Flavor: Gentle on the pallet, massively smooth and easy drinking. Very light spice notes in an amber tasting profile. The wood characteristic is understated but very complimentary to the overall taste.

Mouthfeel: Soft, creamy, low carbonation encouraged pounding.

Overall Impression: So drinkable, I believe I could drink my body weight in this beer and still want more. If you’re lucky enough to see it, I don’t think I can recommend it strongly enough. Great job St. Arnold’s!

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer is good!! Its delicious!
To me its the best beer by saint Arnold!
It has a wonderful color and a great smell!

The appearance is what i imagine a great christmas ale to look like.

The smell is a sweet sweet smell

the taste is spicy but super sweet but bitter at the end

the mouthfeel is light ... lighter than i would think for a 7%

i coudl drink this all night
Awesome Beer!

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured this beer into a pint glass. Saint Arnolds has done it again, with this winter seasonal, they still amaze me at how good the beers are. This poured an amber color with a foamy white 2-finger head that left a decent amount of lacing down the glass. The smell of this beer is of malts and a hint of spice, probably nutmeg. The taste of this beer is somewhat spiced, maybe cinnamon and nutmeg, but has a malt characteristic to it also. The mouthfeel is very light and fluffy. Overall a very drinkable beer. And one of my favorite seasonals to come out of the Saint Arnolds brewery.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

On tap at Boondoggle's in Clear Lake, Texas

Wow.. great from the first smell to taste.

To me it's a great ale that finishes with a touch of hot apple cider in the background. Love this stuff and I'm going to stock up on it a bit.

I didn't try this last year, but I did have the Sailing Santa, which was this mixed with Elissa IPA. I didn't love that near as much, which makes sense as I'm not a huge IPA fan.

This is very good stuff... really spreads the Christmas cheer to your mouth.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Had this one on the xmas ale pub crawl (which was a blast).
A - brown amber hue with nice head and lacing.
S - piney, spicy and slight hops
T - at first i thought it tasted like a tree, but after a few sips I was able to taste the spiciness of the hops used in this brew. The twinge of ethanol on the tongue kept me warm on this cold winter night.
M - slightly carbonated with quite a bit of body.
D - this is a pretty good Xmas seasonal. It's got some nice spice with warming ABV perfect for the holiday season. It took me a while to really enjoy it but once I was able to taste the spicy hops and maltiness I was quite pleased, or maybe it was the ABV that got me.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Dark and rich red/brown color - really small head - clear and bubbly - we have some nice carbonation going.

Smells sweet and strong, some hops – mellow citrus - a little alcoholic - cool and crisp – dense and solid – a little fruity.

First off, it is good. Good blend of sweet and bitter. The sweet is a light and deeply fruity sweet. The bitter is a lightly acidic/citrus bitterness. Moderately alcoholic, especially noticeable during the swallow and post swallow.

Makes a presence in the mouth, strong and a little thick with about perfect carbonation.

Not smooth enough to wolf down - not unfriendly.

Very tasty - I am impressed. The fruit and noticeable alcohol leaves Christmas Ale delightfully smooth and thick. I would very much like to be warmed by it on a cold winter day.

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pint style glass. No freshness date.

A: Pours with a very good amount of head. Beautiful dark ruby red color that looks very substantial.

S: Nose is mostly earthy, somewhat minty, fruit hints with a good touch of alcohol and some candy-cane in there as well.

T & M: The sip starts off with a somewhat earthy character that seems to be Saint Arnold's trademark. As I let it dance around my tongue, I picked up on all kinds of really good holiday spices, including evergreen and a somewhat candy-cane like sweetness. All of these spices are rounded out with a nice mild fruit like malty backbone that keeps everything well in balanced. Finishes up with a nice warming hint of alcohol and a nearly perfect hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is very good for the style. This winter brew won't overwhelm you as it isn't too heavy, but it's very substantial, as it should be for the style. Just a tad bit of carbonation keeps it from being too heavy.

D: This is an excellent seasonal offering from Saint Arnold. Highly impressed, especially considering that I was a bit disappointed in their O-fest. According to their website, this is an "old ale", which I was actually just introduced to several months ago, and I really like the style. This beer literally tastes like Christmas! All of the good spices are there. At the same time, it has a nice malty backbone to keep everything in check. Perfect ABV, as it's warming, but not too strong so you can have a few. I am already starting to get into the winter brews this season, and this will definitely be one I drink many more times. If you are in Texas and like a good cold-weather brew, do yourself a favor and give this one a try.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours with a small, white head. Has a dark amber color with small particles floating within the ale. Smells sweet from the hops. The hops give it a pine and citrus taste. A hint of malt is also present. Overall taste is great. Somehow, the brewers at Saint Arnold have actually captured Christmas in a bottle.

4.36/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: A rich ruby red with a two finger head and lace. This is a looker
S: Can make out some plum and raisin and other dark fruit with lots of malt.
T: Malt up front with a medley of fruit flavors. Some dark, some citrus flavors, I can even make out a wonderful peach as the taste lingers. The more I try this, the more flavors jump out at me. Very rich and creamy as well.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Very creamy and smooth. Easy to drink. I usually make a session of this every year on cask at the Gingerman.

At first, it was hard for me to detect some characteristics of this beer, but as time goes on I can make out more and more. This is a very enjoyable beer. A really good Winter Warmer. Something I highly recommend.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

12 oz. bottle from 2004. Pours a orange/amber hue with a slight head. Malty, spicy sweet smell. Medium to full bodied with a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Nice malty, spicy sweet and black pepper taste.
A very tasty, ultra smooth drinking brew.
Another great one from South Texas.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Just picked up a sixer from the Christmas in July release.
Pours a light head - about 1/2 finger.
Smell is subtle - spicy , some clean hops.
Taste. nice and slippery in the mouth. I can taste the spice (nutmeg?).
Wonderful moutfeel. just the right amount of carbonation.
Drinkability. This beer is dangerous. Extremely easy drinking for an 8% abv.
Quite an interesting beer to drink in the summertime -- when it's 105 outside. A nice break from the hop monsters that I usually crave in the summer.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Thanks to HardTarget for opening my eyes to St. Arnolds Brewing Co.

Appearance: pours a brick red/amber with a lovely tan head. Leaves yummy lacings down the glass as the head slowly fades away.

Smell: Hints of spice, citrus (orange), and warm aromas cascade out of the glass and hit my nose at a good arm's length away

Taste: candied fruits, raisins, and spice dance on my tongue. The only thing that's missing is a little Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby on the stereo with a roaring fire. Could it be Christmas in July?

Mouthfeel: Light and warm with no hop bitterness at all.

A malty sweet aftertaste leaves me wanting more. A good beer and I can see why this would be classified as a "winter warmer". Thanks again to HardTarget for hooking me up with this nice brew.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured the Saint Arnold Christmas out of the bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance- appearance is nice for a Christmas ale, with a deep amber/orange. I like the appearance for the style.

Smell- I really like this aroma, as it truly reminds me of Christmas time, and isn't that what Christmas Ales are for? I get caramel malts, dark fruits, cinammon, and a hint of nutmeg in the finish. Good smell.

Taste- the taste is alot like the smell. I first get sharp caramel then it finishes with cinnamon and possibly nutmeg. It makes mr want to come back for more

Mouthfeel- this beer has a pretty thick mouthfeel but that's what I want with this style. Carbonation is moderate but I probably couldn't have over 2 of these in a session.

Overall- I honestly really like saint arnold's Christmas ale. I will definately be drinking this again. I love what Brock Wagner is doing at SA and I enjoy his beers.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

In my opinion, Saint Arnold's best. Too bad it's not available year round. Very smooth, but with just enough spice to make it interesting. Warms you up nice in cold weather, and really evokes the holidays from the label to the last drop. Excellent every year from an extremely underrated brewery.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bought at Whip In while passing through Austin

Wow! This is quite a beer.

It pours a dark reddish amber in the glass with an almost non-existent tan colored head.

The flavor is rich and complex --- Lots of rich malt, some caramel, maybe a bit of fruit (apples and berries), and a nice balanced surge of hops, both bitter and floral. The hops also come out in the aroma. The aftertaste is a bit on the sweet side with just a sprinling of lingering hops.

There's a definite alcoholic wamth that is matched by this beer's rich flavor.

I was not impressed with past tastes of St. Arnolds a few years ago, but I'm glad I gave this one a try. It might be one of my favorite Christmas ales. The only thing I would change is maybe add a bit of spice to the mix (like Sierra Nevada does)

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

Another one from my in-person trade with twiggamortis420, cheers Greg!!

Pours caramel with 1 finger of tan colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Apricots & a touch of breadyness, plus a touch tobacco once warmed up.

T: Breadyness, apricot & plums, & a of bit caramel apple up front. Dryness & caramel & a bit orange slice show as this warms, along with some biscuitty malt, plus a bit of herbal hops. Finishes dry, frutty & with honey, toffee & caramel

MF: Chewy, low carbonation & fairly rich

Drinks pretty easy for the style/ABV, a nice winter warmer that is going down well on a cold March evening, yummy

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%

Deep and clear copper-red color with a head that fades away in mere seconds, faint carbonation, a little lace. Toasty malt aroma and mild alcohol notes with a slight spiciness. Taste begins with toasted malts, bitter chocolate and coffee notes, followed by sweet berry-like fruit flavors, finishes with mildly bitter, understated hops. At 7.0% ABV, it packs quite a punch. A unwaveringly superb winter beer, not to be missed.

4.23/5  rDev +14%

There is just something about this beer that makes me happy. Perhaps because the Christmas in July release that St. Arnolds does provides a fresh winter warmer at a time when most available winter warmers are anything but fresh.

A: Burnt Orange...Hook 'Em!!! No lacing, but a persistant eggshell head.

S: Clove + Honey + Coriander (maybe) + Moonshine

T: Pine Oil spicy mixed with a very earthy malt base. Slightly tangy, but the hops are very suited for the doughy malts.

M: A little light on the body. I would thicken this one up and ratchet down the carbonation a tad to make this perfect.

D: Christmas in July! Heavens no, hell yes!!!

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish amber color with a ¼” tannish head at first pour. The head fell within a minute or so, and disappeared because there are very few bubbles rising. There is no lacing to speak of.

Aroma: Rich aroma with caramel and toasty malts. There is some noticeable hop presence. There is a hint of underlying spiciness.

Taste: Rich caramelly and malty aroma. There is a bit of hops to greet you in the beginning of the profile, and then the malt kicks in. The malty sweetness dominates the profile, but there is a floral presence that lingers a lot longer than most other beers. There is some light hopping to support the finish, but it ends balanced decidedly toward the malty sweetness. There is a mild warmth from the alcohol that fades in late in the finish. It could definitely use a bit more carbonation to lighten up the mouthfeel.

Opinion: This is a really nice beer, and I believe it to be one of Saint Arnolds finest...if it’s not their best one. I enjoy drinking this beer not only because it is a quality brew, but also Brock (the owner of Saint Arnold brewery) is a really great guy...and I enjoy supporting his efforts.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

apperance: nice pale black in color.

smell: roasted barely and carmel malts ocme out with nice hops balance.

Taste: roasted and caramel malts with a nice hop backbone.

Mouthfeel; clings very wwell to the mouth

Drinkability; easy to drink winter time brew. I really enjoyed it. It's weird that this brew is out now. It's not quite winter yet.

A great beer!

A nice brown color with a lingering head. Has smells of roasted malts.
Tastes like a darker beer, maybe a brown ale and it definitely has a refreshing aftertaste.

Quite interesting! had not expected this beer for a Christmas ale, because I had expected darker, but this was definitely refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer is one of my favorites.
It pours a deep amber/ruby color and has a nice sublte hop nose to it.
it has hints of spice, cinnamon on the nose as well.

the taste is very nice. you can taste the spices in the beer.
I always buy 2-3 sixers when this comes out.
Does not age very well.

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%

Probably the toughest of the seasonals to track down. Great smell for a winter warmer, really put me in the mood from the get go. The taste had a little bit of sweetness, but what struck me the most was the overwhelming strength of the beer. This will certainly keep you warm on a cold Christmas night

Saint Arnold Christmas Ale from Saint Arnold Brewing Company