Icon Series: Brown Porter - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 03-05-2014

Our Brown Porter is a dark, medium bodied ale with rich chocolate malt notes. We used English malt and hops along with our Saint Arnold yeast that comes from a brewery in England.

This beer pours a dark brown color with ruby/garnet highlights and an off-white head. The aroma is predominantly chocolate with hints of nuttiness and lightly roasted coffee. The Saint Arnold yeast contributes mild esters, which are perfect for this style. Chocolate and roast are the primary flavors in this sessionable ale, with a distinct sweetness coming through as the beer warms up.
Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by dmorgan310:
3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this on tap at the brewery. Had a decent light brown color with a short head. Not too bad for a spring beer. Decent flavor with decent body. Not too much flavor. Goes down easy and was very nice to drink. But nothing too spectacular as I was expecting more.

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Started at 52 degrees. Thanks Russel for giving me your last one! First of all, this beer should be applauded for having to overcome one of the worst-looking labels witnessed in a long, long time. I'd upload a picture but the site won't accept it--I guess that's how blah it is. As for the beer, it pours dark brown with a medium tan head. Held up to the light it does show a ruby-amber glow and suddenly isn't so opaque. Smell is nothing distinguished, some chocolate and malts. Flavor is pretty much the same: chocolate and malt. Not bitter, a little on the sweet side. It is on the thin side, a little watery but nothing to stop me from drinking it. As with similar porters, I prefer my coffee and chocolate by way of stouts and my porters pretty straight up. Still it's not a bad beer. But it's retired and I don't see a demand for a reprise any time soon.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with an ample tan head. Fair retention and lace.

Nose is spot on...roasty malt, light chocolate and a mild fruit from the yeast.

Taste is mainly roasty, chocolate malt with a little bit of grassy hop and pecan nuttiness. Mouthfeel is smooth and full with a nice dryness on the finish. Reminds me a little of SN Porter but less hoppy and more nutty. Excellent example of the style, one that I feel like I should be drinking more of every time I actually do get it. Well done beer, if this was in sixers I would buy it in spades.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

I always like being able to add the Saint Arnold beers to the BA database, but lately I have been striking out. This is an English Porter all the way, oh well. On tap several times at BRC in Houston.

A: Pours a Dark brown, near black color. Just this side of opaque. A two finger beige head forms with good retention and lace all the way down the glass.
S: Light roasted malts, with chocolate and toffee aromas. Light coffee as well. Simple, but very enjoyable.
T: Like the nose, fairly simple, but enjoyable. Light roast and coffee up front. That gives way to sweeter toffee flavors. Some chocolate as well, actually more like coco powder.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Just a tad bit on the lighter side. This is very easy to drink. Gone in no time.

I am continually intrigued with the Porter/Stout style and how the different versions came about. Before the cross pollination and homogenization of the styles, there is a history that goes back a long time. Anyway, this is a very good representation, and true to a "brown porter"...that is sweeter, but not as robust as others. I will certainly be getting a few four packs of this.

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A brown porter which is black. Caramel dominant body. Lacks intricacy and nuance. Simple and plain, but imbalanced and overly sweet. Molasses notes feel out of place.

Full-bodied and sticky.

Appearance: Arrives with a cola brown color capped by an inch or so of foam that leaves some streaky lace behind

Smell: Chocolate, nuts and coffee

Taste: Rich and complex malt flavors, up front, with the chocolate, nuts and coffee dominating; there is also a toasted dark bread aspect to the malt, as well; a bit of dark fruit flavor also arrives, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Although I typically like more of a hop presence in my American style beers, this was a very interesting twist and I really appreciated the malty complexities

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have to admit that this beer is what turned me on to craft beer. Before this the only dark beer I had ever had as a guinness. After trying this beer at a pub I have started heading down the dark road.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Another solid beer from Saint Arnold. The 2014 Icon Blue isn't as good as the 2013 release but this still impresses me against any of the year round releases they do.

Icon Series: Brown Porter from Saint Arnold Brewing Company