Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #14 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 04-26-2014

Ratings: 225 | Reviews: 25
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clove, banana, alcohol is there and the balance is not where it needs to be. Odd orange and wheat flavors.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting strong Belgian ale.

4.79/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favorite DR release. Very strong, sneaks up on you.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden body with lots of bubbles rushing up. Creamy white head. Lots of lace left dripping on the glass.

Warm spice, clove, banana. Really nice yeast ester flavors.

Smooth and medium bodied and medium carbonation.

3.34/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange. Fairly clear. Small white head and a thin collar.

Smell - Quite sweet smelling. A caramel, nutty sweetness. Fruity sweetness, too. Yeast flavors give a little bit of a banana aroma.

Taste - Like the aroma, but the yeast flavors are even stronger. Hefty bitterness and a toasty malt flavor, too. The finish has more of the Belgian yeast fruitiness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. As sweet as it smells, it's pretty dry and bitter in the taste.

Overall - A good version of a mostly unexciting style. I did not expect to drink as much of this as I did (still only about a third of the bottle, though).

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz brown bottle with twist-off cap and bottled on "04/23/2014". Poured into a snifter.

-6 month notes

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden with a thin ring of head

Smell: Yeast esters and grapes

Taste: Yeast up front with a lot of fruity esters which then develops with some malt and biscuit and spice from the rye in the middle and finishes dry

Mouthfeel: Medium but bubbly like champagne

Overall: Compared to the initial release, the yeast has taken the front seat in the flavor and has a nice dry finish. The hop presence has subsided and the rye and malt are coming in more. Pair this with any dish you'd pair with white wine.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Once again, a huge Thank You to Kurmaraja for this one! Poured into long stemmed-wine glass. Poured the expected, yet still gorgeous, honey-gold color frequent to the style. There was 1/8-ish inch of white head that quickly dissipated into a thin ring, which then had very good retention, but no lacing at all.

Malty sweetness hit the nose first, sticks around the longest, and is the dominant olfactory aspect. There is a noticeable yeast aroma, as expected, and this beer's scent reminded me more of a Tripel (not that there's a huge difference between the styles). On the tongue, the story was about the same. There was a slight bitterness at the very back of the palate, that was different, but not unpleasant. The yeast and malt were the major players on the flavor scale.

The body was, perhaps, a bit fuller and stickier than is typical, but not to a point of distraction. Drinkability was very good, as I find the style to be in general, but not so easy to drink that you would pound several. Overall, a very good take on the style, and one you should certainly try.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Pours a hazy golden color with nice carbonation and little to no head retention for a Belgian beer.

S - Belgian spice (coriander), sweet honey malt, yeasty, not much more.

T - Sweet Belgian candy sugar, light amount of coriander, alcohol, honey, some light citrus, and slightly phenolic.

M - Full medium body, gentle carbonation, gentle alcohol warming on the way down.

O - So-so. Was bottled April 7th so the spiciness has faded.

4.43/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is mild. Lacing is moderate. Has a mainly Belgian yeast funk to the aroma with slight floral. Coriander and orange peel dominate. Has a smooth, almost creamy, malty taste up front followed by the a spicy coriander and orange peel aftertaste. Very refreshing and good beer. Although there is a slight booziness to the end, the alcohol content is well hidden. There is a good amount of carbonation.

3.19/5  rDev -16.5%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle poured into a stemmed pilsener (beer tulip) glass.

Appearance: Bright, clear golden color, but with some suspended white crystals. Medium frothy head, recedes with some lacing.

Smell: Honey with faint citrus and spices.

Taste: Quite sweet and fruity, with some bitterness and peppery alcohol towards the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Smooth, almost unctuous.

Overall: A bit unbalanced with honey sweetness dominating other flavors and aromas.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Like a Pilsner that wants to be an IPA and you feel sorry for it so you drink it. I admit I'm a hop head but the floral aroma combined with...like a wheaty, pilsnerish finish makes me feel like I'm drinking a champagne on steroids. I can see this beer being paired with a particular menu by a chef..I'm drinking this beer now and I'm imagining this beer would be good with an Indian dish.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a golden body, slightly hazy and a two finger eggshell head.

S - Good amount of Belgian yeast, subdued citrus notes, banana and light white pepper.

T - To me, the taste following the nose, except it's amplified a bit, which is great. May'be a little more sweetness on the taste than I noticed on the nose.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Has a dry, sticky finish. The abv is well hidden.

O - I can see this beer as being limited, but brewed for the masses. I think the novice along with the beer geek can appreciate it.

4.01/5  rDev +5%

Got this one in a mix six pack at a 30% discount at World Market in Round Rock for Fathers Day weekend.

Pours a golden color with a head that lingers in my Chimay goblet. Getting a bit of banana, pepper, bubble gum in the scent. Nothing crazy great but certainly good.

Taste follows scent almost perfectly...no real surprises here, but surprisingly refreshing for such a big beer. Very easy drinking. Not hot at all.

Certainly not my favorite of the Saint Arnold Divine Reserve brews, but still a well crafted beer and one worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Very good not great brew. Absolutely something to share with those that are "not really into craft beer" as it is not to intense in any specific way. I am hoping that it develops over the next year and then I will edit this review. Still proud to call this a Texas beer.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a Teku glass from the bottle.

A: Rich golden/honey color with a very thin and quickly dissipating white head. Virtually no lacing to be seen.
S: Sweet white wines, grapes, white pepper, and some clove.
T: Slight funk with some pepper/spice and resin. Very low residual sweetness and almost no trace of grape.
M: Crisp and extremely dry.
O: Not my favorite, but definitely not a bad beer. Hides the 10% ABV remarkable well but finishes a bit too dry.

3.76/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't think I've gotten a DR since #6 or so.

Poured into a standard pint, this is a burnished gold colored beer, completely clear, with a slight head. The nose is appropriately Belgian: strong peppery phenols dominate. The flavor offers sweet malt with moderate hop bitterness, mainly emphasizing the yeast character: plummy fruitiness that is well-rounded, and phenols that don't seem quite as strong as they did in the aroma--but still there. The substantial body and warming feel give testimony to the strength, but the alcohol itself doesn't make any flavor contribution, thankfully.

Drinkable, but it doesn't stand out, nor is really memorable--it sort of reminds me of the many special Unibroue releases, which are each good by themselves, but a day later you can't remember any special details about them.

1.74/5  rDev -54.5%

Pours golden with white head. Smell is sweet sweet sweet malt and belgian yeast. Taste is sweet and boozy and way unbalanced. Alcohol is present, and if it weren’t so sweet and in need of some other flavor, the booze would be very unwelcomed, but as it is, its a nice departure from the cloying maltiness. Sticky sweet finish that mingled with the yeast give a funny fake sugary nutrasweet flavor. Not good at all. And I’m not getting any of this rye or the hops either, unfortunately. Rich body, medium to soft carbonation. A complete unenjoyable drain for me. I can't remember being more shocked at a beer's high ratings than when I drank this...

1.84/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

12 oz. bottle poured into goblet

L: gold with a little red, clear with minimal off-white head -- almost looks flat. the color and clarity are nice

S: fruity sweet, a bit of wine

T: fruity, sweet, nutty ... almost like peanut butter

F: solid despite looking flat

O: tastes more like an American-made dubbel than a Belgian strong pale, and if I could give this beer a 0 overall, I would because it's possibly the most off-style beer I've had. it is a major letdown because I'd really like a good Belgian strong pale ale right now.

this is my last Saint Arnold beer. no brewery consistently disappoints more than SA -- I could look at this one and tell by that hallmark antiseptic clarity that it would fall short of good. if you're looking for an American-made dubbel, then this might not be bad. if you're looking for a Belgian strong pale, buy Duvel or Matilda or something else because this ain't it.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 14 has a thin-to-medium, off-white head, a very clear, quite bubbly, burnished gold appearance, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is sweet and spicy, and the flavor is of spicy, sweet grain, a bit of grain husk, some low-level bitterness, and an underlying alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is slick and medium, and Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 14 finishes semi-dry, slightly alcohilic, and smooth. Overall, this is one to get!

RJT

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Thick, foamy white head on top of a clear amber. Peppery yeast aromas with a hint of clove. Some grass aroma as well. Faint hop bitterness. The taste was a letdown after the complex smell. The first few initial sips were unpleasant with an overwhelming metallic taste and strange sweetness. After it warmed up a bit and sat out, the metallic taste seems to have faded some. The remaining flavors are good. Spicy hops and yeast. Grass. Pepper. Cloves and other floral notes. Sweet malts at the end that are a little too sweet for my tastes. Loaded with carbonation that I expected and look forward to in the style.

I was let down overall by this one. At $15 for a six pack, I was expecting a lot more. The inital metallic taste somewhat skewed my reviewing as did the overrich sweetness at the end of the sip.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: pours a nice clear, deep golden yellow. a nice finger of head which leaves good lacing, despite my swirling the beer a lot. Nice ring around the edge with some hanging in the middle.

S: I get some dark fruits, straw, funk, spice.

T: again, some funk, straw, dark fruit, I think I would say. a slight spiciness.

revisited: 3/7/15. i get tropical fruits, mango, pineapple. some apple? enjoying this much more than previously. a very refreshing beer despite being 10%

M: good mouthfeel, but nothing special. Nicely carbonated.

O: tastes good, but I'm not a huge fan. I'm also not a huge fan of the style, or very knowledgable about it.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle pours a dark gold color with an ample cap of fine-bubbled, off-white head. Good retention and a light smattering of lace.

Nose is big on the alcohol, followed up by some fairly strong yeasty phenols - clove and bubble gum. The hops are milder than I expected and overall the beer is a bit rough around the edges. The sweet aromas hint at not being as dry as...say...a Duvel. Im not getting any rye on the nose and hopefully the 'west coast' hops supposedly used are more apparent in the flavor.

The rye comes out much more in the flavor and throws down a bready flavor that is unexpected, but interesting. I still think the alcohol and the yeast are more prominent than the hops, and I am a little bit bummed they are not featured more than bittering hops here. The malt profile is nice, a little deeper than your typical BSPA and lends a more biscuity approach. I do wish the carbonation was a little more bubbly to help offset the higher sweetness. Overall, its a decent beer in a really tough style to get right. Unlike many in the DR series, I dont think this will age well. Good effort, I wont have any problem finishing off my allotment.

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%

A- nice golden color with a head that disappears pretty quickly.

S- I catch some banana and piney tones as I put it up to my nose

T- I get hints of banana, bubble gum, pine , citrus and some boozy notes finish it out, as I let it sit I got more rye and pine

M- overall good mouthfeel, a little boozy, but not overboard

O- Not overly special, but a good Belgian that I will continue to enjoy

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

On cask at Hay Merchant and now enjoying a bottle at home.

A: The cask pours an amazingly beautiful haze copper/orange color. From the bottle, it still has a hint of haze, but more clear orange. A two finger egg white head forms with excellent retention and lace. This is a looker.
S: The phenolic yeast is up front and center. Peppery spice, fruity banana esters, bready biscuit aromas (from the rye I suppose). Grassy and floral hops. Very nice.
T: Like the nose, phenolic yeast that brings a peppery spice. Banana esters, that add just a touch of sweetness. Big bready/rye malts and a lingering grassy hop bite.
M/D: A medium and effervescent body. Even the cask has a good crisp bite (obviously not as much as the bottle). Outside of a small fruity sweetness, this is pleasantly dry on cask/tap. From the bottle it is a bit sweeter. Very enjoyable overall. Today, I have already enjoyed two cask pours and now a bottle. Yep, safe to say I like it.

I can't say I was surprised by anything here. It is exactly as advertised. An all around solid release that hits the style almost perfectly. I don't think it is my favorite DR release, but I am thoroughly enjoying this and will continue to do so.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a short whitish head that fades to a splotchy lace.

S: Hops, surpisingly, hit me first with some nice grassy notes and pine. Then I get the classic Belgian bready note with some touches of banana and citrus.

T: Banana, some pine and earth, followed by a bit of booze. At 10%, the alcohol shows but doesn't dominate. Nice citrus flavors complement the Belgian yeast and flavor.

M: Medium bodied, easy drinking and pretty smooth. Alcohol comes through but does not dominate. A nice sipper over an hour or so.

O: A solid beer that I'd have again. Thanks again for the bottle Evan!

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #14 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company