Follow our progress ...

Added by EgadBananas on 04-26-2014

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 242
4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

On cask at Hay Merchant and now enjoying a bottle at home.

A: The cask pours an amazingly beautiful haze copper/orange color. From the bottle, it still has a hint of haze, but more clear orange. A two finger egg white head forms with excellent retention and lace. This is a looker.
S: The phenolic yeast is up front and center. Peppery spice, fruity banana esters, bready biscuit aromas (from the rye I suppose). Grassy and floral hops. Very nice.
T: Like the nose, phenolic yeast that brings a peppery spice. Banana esters, that add just a touch of sweetness. Big bready/rye malts and a lingering grassy hop bite.
M/D: A medium and effervescent body. Even the cask has a good crisp bite (obviously not as much as the bottle). Outside of a small fruity sweetness, this is pleasantly dry on cask/tap. From the bottle it is a bit sweeter. Very enjoyable overall. Today, I have already enjoyed two cask pours and now a bottle. Yep, safe to say I like it.

I can't say I was surprised by anything here. It is exactly as advertised. An all around solid release that hits the style almost perfectly. I don't think it is my favorite DR release, but I am thoroughly enjoying this and will continue to do so.

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a short whitish head that fades to a splotchy lace.

S: Hops, surpisingly, hit me first with some nice grassy notes and pine. Then I get the classic Belgian bready note with some touches of banana and citrus.

T: Banana, some pine and earth, followed by a bit of booze. At 10%, the alcohol shows but doesn't dominate. Nice citrus flavors complement the Belgian yeast and flavor.

M: Medium bodied, easy drinking and pretty smooth. Alcohol comes through but does not dominate. A nice sipper over an hour or so.

O: A solid beer that I'd have again. Thanks again for the bottle Evan!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last