Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kölsch |  4.90% ABV

Bronze Medal, 2006 Great American Beer Festival

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower Alström Bros
tbone53

the name caught my eye, i just had to try it.nice creamy offwhite head.mouthfeel is good. pretty light compared to their other products.perfect beer for a hot south texas summer day.say like after fishing, golf or cutting the grass.cant go wrong with this one. i would recomend taking this to a party were you are trying to wheen your freinds off the light beer fad.

11-22-2006 17:38:42 | More by tbone53

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

06-04-2014 18:09:45 | More by cmbeddoe7997
KodyBrannon

4.68/5  rDev +33%

Poured this beer into a longhorns pint glass.

L- Poured a pale yellow color w/ a little white head that disipated quickly.

S- The smell was of slight hops and malt

T- Slight hops in the taste, but more prominant malt flavor

M- Mouthfeel is very light and crisp

D- Drinkablity is god

Notes - This will become one of my favorite beers to drink on a summer day.

10-07-2008 18:45:17 | More by KodyBrannon
TexasRedskinFan

4.53/5  rDev +28.7%

Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - 6 pack bought at local Walmart, 12/04/2013 date on bottle

I had never had anything from Saint Arnold before this. I had heard of them and was aware they are a local Houston brewery, but decided to try them out. There were a couple of offerings on the shelves but I chose this one because I am a fan of the style (Kolsch beers are popular in Texas).

Appearance - Light gold to clear yellow when poured into a glass. The first one I drank out of the bottle, but then I decided to pour one just to see. There is a very small white head, maybe an inch. But it doesn't last long and there is no lacing.

Smell - Smells like an average Adjunct Lager but with a little more hops and slight grassy smell.

Taste - Slightly sweet, mild hops and comfortable malt flavoring. Very dry, almost too dry. This is just a notch above AAL style beers in overall flavor profile. But what is there is perfect for the style. Nice flavor without being over powering or tough to drink. This is perfect beer for drinking after working in the yard.

Mouthfeel - Thin but not watery. Lightly carbonated.

Overall - This is a fantastic representation of the style. Most craft drinkers and beer snobs will not fully appreciate this beer. But this is fantastic for hot summer days at a barbeque.

The price of this beer is too high for my regular purchase ($8 a six pack). But I will definitely drink this again. Especially as the weather warms up.

THIS IS GOOD BEER. PERIOD.

01-17-2014 22:31:01 | More by TexasRedskinFan

McJeebie

02-02-2012 22:32:13 | More by McJeebie
jasonjlewis

4.47/5  rDev +27%

Unfiltered, yeast floats in the brew.

I decided to re-review this beer. I have a couple of fresh ones in my fridge from a trade. I talked to the brewer that I had met during my tour of the brewery and he said this beer took the gold at the GABF.

I said fuck it, I will re-review it.

Kolsch beers are decent lawnmower beers, but not a style I really appreciate. However, I've had a few know and I can appreciate a good one.

Repoured into traditional pint glass. Decent head with great retention. Cloudy yellow color

Smell is bready and citrusy. Sweet malt comes out on the palate. One fault some people find with these beers is that they are sweet. I like that they tend to have thick malts though.

Let this beer warm. This beer has off flavors until it warms. Once at about 48 degrees it has superb flavor. It has a citrus twang with a nice breadiness. This is truly a good lawnmower beer. It tastes better than what I had last year. The malts are thicker than most kolsches and it helps to balance the dryness. Nicely balanced.

This will be a beer that's in my fridge during the summer. Give it a try. It clings to the mouth very well and doesn't have an overbearing dryness like some kolsches.

I could make a session out of this easily.

10-15-2007 01:20:49 | More by jasonjlewis
BuffaloBilly

4.47/5  rDev +27%

This is the first time I tried this beer, I drank it out of the bottle. This beer is way too expensive though. The smell is grainy, and the taste is somewhat grassy, it's very refreshing and quite thirst quenching. With a name like lawnmower this sure "hits the spot" anytime. I'm adding this to my beers choice, an excellent brew it is. Drinkability is easy, mouthfeel is light, appearance actually had some color to it. This beer tastes good period.

10-06-2005 14:29:27 | More by BuffaloBilly
miket163

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%

This is an excellent beer from the great state of Texas!

appearance: Poured a pale gold colour into a pint glass with a 2 inch head. great lacing the entire beer.

smell: Smelled very pleasant, fruity and grassy hop character. Underlying grapefruit note

taste: Very fresh light malt character, with a good hop bite. Very clean, yet great hop flavor that makes this very refreshing !

excellent beer! Great for summer!

05-07-2009 22:54:11 | More by miket163
hiikeeba

4.4/5  rDev +25%

I have seen this on the store shelves for a while, but never bought it. I always went for the Shiner Kolsch. Since they recently won a Gold Medal at the 2007 GABF, I thought I'd give it a try

A: Pours up honey colored with a wispy white head. It's cloudy with golden highlights.

S: Citrusy hops aroma, with a sweet malt smell.

T: starts off with a subtly sweet malt taste, and finishes with a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Very smooth.

M: Good carbonation.

D: A great beer for the Texas summers. I should have been paying more attention to this beer.

10-19-2007 23:38:54 | More by hiikeeba
chickencoop

4.4/5  rDev +25%

Appearance - very clean golden beer.
Smell - I got notes of grass, and earthy qualities.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - I loved this beer, and completely surprised how much I would like it. I purchased it at a Spec's and the beer guy there kind of discounted the Texas micros once I told him I was from NorCal, but I seriously had to hold back from finishing the 6-pack that night in my sad Holiday Inn. Very refreshing and tasted like candy.
Drinkability - loved it, heading back to Texas soon to stuff some more in my suitcase, it's not the best beer in the world, states or probably Texas but hit the spot when I drank it, and that's all I cared about. I think I'll get it on tap next time, hope it doesn't let me down.

08-20-2009 05:48:52 | More by chickencoop
bboven

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Light golden color with a thin head full of tiny separate bubbles, lines of carbonation shooting up from the bottom of the glass.

Fruity and malty; a much richer smell than what is typical of this style.

Fruity and sweet, I'm drinking it a bit warm but I can see where this beer, evn ice-cold, would have good flavor.

Thin and bubbly, correct for style, but with a creaminess that's coating without being sticky.

light but flavorful, I've got a new Lawnmower Beer ;]

08-30-2007 01:25:08 | More by bboven
Dubblebock

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Lawn Mower has been a staple of the Houston-based St. Arnold's brewery for about as long as I can remember. It's always a welcome sight through the spring and summer months, easily found and easily quaffed through the heat here in Central Texas.

Lawn Mower pours a hazy golden color, with an average head that manages to stick around for a decidely long time. The nose is cracker-crisp and slightly citrusy. Long chains of bubbles floating excitedly upwards in the mug attest to a good level of carbonation.

The taste is grapefruit and French bread. Dry as a bone and easy to drink. Good balance between hops and malts. Crisp finish with a hint of lemony aftertones.

Great summertime beer. Good with various foods, especially white meats and Tex-Mex. This is a staple of my warm-weather beer drinking, and for good reason. Highly recommended. It's not the best beer that St. Arnie's makes, nor is it highly complex or unusual. It's just a good, down-home, session-beer for the lazy, hazy days of summer.

05-16-2007 03:00:29 | More by Dubblebock
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a slightly cloudy light golden color with a bubbly/fluffy white head that sticks around for a bit. Smells fruity with apples and lemons coming to mind, grassy, grainy, slightly malty. Taste is grainy and fruity. Carbonation level is high, it pierced the tongue with every sip. Body is light an quite quaffable. Mouthfeel sweet lightly syrup and malty. Great hot weather drinker here. Just enough sweetness light body, just great.

05-16-2009 01:17:33 | More by johnnnniee