Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Fancy LawnmowerSaint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kölsch |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-21-2001

Bronze Medal, 2006 Great American Beer Festival

the name caught my eye, i just had to try it.nice creamy offwhite head.mouthfeel is good. pretty light compared to their other products.perfect beer for a hot south texas summer day.say like after fishing, golf or cutting the grass.cant go wrong with this one. i would recomend taking this to a party were you are trying to wheen your freinds off the light beer fad.

4.62/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured this beer into a longhorns pint glass.

L- Poured a pale yellow color w/ a little white head that disipated quickly.

S- The smell was of slight hops and malt

T- Slight hops in the taste, but more prominant malt flavor

M- Mouthfeel is very light and crisp

D- Drinkablity is god

Notes - This will become one of my favorite beers to drink on a summer day.

4.47/5  rDev +25.9%

Unfiltered, yeast floats in the brew.

I decided to re-review this beer. I have a couple of fresh ones in my fridge from a trade. I talked to the brewer that I had met during my tour of the brewery and he said this beer took the gold at the GABF.

I said fuck it, I will re-review it.

Kolsch beers are decent lawnmower beers, but not a style I really appreciate. However, I've had a few know and I can appreciate a good one.

Repoured into traditional pint glass. Decent head with great retention. Cloudy yellow color

Smell is bready and citrusy. Sweet malt comes out on the palate. One fault some people find with these beers is that they are sweet. I like that they tend to have thick malts though.

Let this beer warm. This beer has off flavors until it warms. Once at about 48 degrees it has superb flavor. It has a citrus twang with a nice breadiness. This is truly a good lawnmower beer. It tastes better than what I had last year. The malts are thicker than most kolsches and it helps to balance the dryness. Nicely balanced.

This will be a beer that's in my fridge during the summer. Give it a try. It clings to the mouth very well and doesn't have an overbearing dryness like some kolsches.

I could make a session out of this easily.

4.45/5  rDev +25.4%

Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - 6 pack bought at local Walmart, 12/04/2013 date on bottle

I had never had anything from Saint Arnold before this. I had heard of them and was aware they are a local Houston brewery, but decided to try them out. There were a couple of offerings on the shelves but I chose this one because I am a fan of the style (Kolsch beers are popular in Texas).

Appearance - Light gold to clear yellow when poured into a glass. The first one I drank out of the bottle, but then I decided to pour one just to see. There is a very small white head, maybe an inch. But it doesn't last long and there is no lacing.

Smell - Smells like an average Adjunct Lager but with a little more hops and slight grassy smell.

Taste - Slightly sweet, mild hops and comfortable malt flavoring. Very dry, almost too dry. This is just a notch above AAL style beers in overall flavor profile. But what is there is perfect for the style. Nice flavor without being over powering or tough to drink. This is perfect beer for drinking after working in the yard.

Mouthfeel - Thin but not watery. Lightly carbonated.

Overall - This is a fantastic representation of the style. Most craft drinkers and beer snobs will not fully appreciate this beer. But this is fantastic for hot summer days at a barbeque.

The price of this beer is too high for my regular purchase ($8 a six pack). But I will definitely drink this again. Especially as the weather warms up.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

This is an excellent beer from the great state of Texas!

appearance: Poured a pale gold colour into a pint glass with a 2 inch head. great lacing the entire beer.

smell: Smelled very pleasant, fruity and grassy hop character. Underlying grapefruit note

taste: Very fresh light malt character, with a good hop bite. Very clean, yet great hop flavor that makes this very refreshing !

excellent beer! Great for summer!

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

This is the first time I tried this beer, I drank it out of the bottle. This beer is way too expensive though. The smell is grainy, and the taste is somewhat grassy, it's very refreshing and quite thirst quenching. With a name like lawnmower this sure "hits the spot" anytime. I'm adding this to my beers choice, an excellent brew it is. Drinkability is easy, mouthfeel is light, appearance actually had some color to it. This beer tastes good period.

4.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have seen this on the store shelves for a while, but never bought it. I always went for the Shiner Kolsch. Since they recently won a Gold Medal at the 2007 GABF, I thought I'd give it a try

A: Pours up honey colored with a wispy white head. It's cloudy with golden highlights.

S: Citrusy hops aroma, with a sweet malt smell.

T: starts off with a subtly sweet malt taste, and finishes with a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Very smooth.

M: Good carbonation.

D: A great beer for the Texas summers. I should have been paying more attention to this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the major things I miss about Texas. Crisp, tart, refreshing. Just as the name implies, this beer is great after some yard-work during those hot, humid Houston days. The light feel and carbonation make this a pleasant drink. A very nice American representation of the Kolsh.

4.37/5  rDev +23.1%

Light golden color with a thin head full of tiny separate bubbles, lines of carbonation shooting up from the bottom of the glass.

Fruity and malty; a much richer smell than what is typical of this style.

Fruity and sweet, I'm drinking it a bit warm but I can see where this beer, evn ice-cold, would have good flavor.

Thin and bubbly, correct for style, but with a creaminess that's coating without being sticky.

light but flavorful, I've got a new Lawnmower Beer ;]

4.37/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance - very clean golden beer.
Smell - I got notes of grass, and earthy qualities.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - I loved this beer, and completely surprised how much I would like it. I purchased it at a Spec's and the beer guy there kind of discounted the Texas micros once I told him I was from NorCal, but I seriously had to hold back from finishing the 6-pack that night in my sad Holiday Inn. Very refreshing and tasted like candy.
Drinkability - loved it, heading back to Texas soon to stuff some more in my suitcase, it's not the best beer in the world, states or probably Texas but hit the spot when I drank it, and that's all I cared about. I think I'll get it on tap next time, hope it doesn't let me down.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

Received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a slightly cloudy light golden color with a bubbly/fluffy white head that sticks around for a bit. Smells fruity with apples and lemons coming to mind, grassy, grainy, slightly malty. Taste is grainy and fruity. Carbonation level is high, it pierced the tongue with every sip. Body is light an quite quaffable. Mouthfeel sweet lightly syrup and malty. Great hot weather drinker here. Just enough sweetness light body, just great.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Lawn Mower has been a staple of the Houston-based St. Arnold's brewery for about as long as I can remember. It's always a welcome sight through the spring and summer months, easily found and easily quaffed through the heat here in Central Texas.

Lawn Mower pours a hazy golden color, with an average head that manages to stick around for a decidely long time. The nose is cracker-crisp and slightly citrusy. Long chains of bubbles floating excitedly upwards in the mug attest to a good level of carbonation.

The taste is grapefruit and French bread. Dry as a bone and easy to drink. Good balance between hops and malts. Crisp finish with a hint of lemony aftertones.

Great summertime beer. Good with various foods, especially white meats and Tex-Mex. This is a staple of my warm-weather beer drinking, and for good reason. Highly recommended. It's not the best beer that St. Arnie's makes, nor is it highly complex or unusual. It's just a good, down-home, session-beer for the lazy, hazy days of summer.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

A- Nice and pale amber, as per the style suggests. The head is not much there, but I can live with that.

S- Clove, banana, and honey are present in the smell. I can also get a good whiff of the Lager yeast used, very lageresk.

T- Great taste, man if I was mowing the lawn I would totally want to drink this! Great lager malty taste, but the clove is tasty too, sort of like a roasted clove with drizzled honey to boot. Very tasty! I'm wishing Saint Arnold sold in my area for sure.

M- Feels very good in the mouth, nice solid beer taste.

D- Very drinkable. Would be great for a session beer, and just one to kick back when having a cold one after a day of work.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

A : Pours a pale golden color with a nice white head that leaves good lacing behind on the glass

S : Some grains, malts, and a touch of hops.

T : Crisp and refreshing. It is very light and clean with just enough malt flavor and hops to give it a nice balance

M : light and refreshing

D : An excellent example of a kolsch-style. Easy to knock back some of these on a nice summer day

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a clear pale yellow color with a medium to thin white bubbly head that quickly dissapates and leaves no lacing.

The aroma of adjucts is at a minimum. And I can actually detect a HINT of spicy/earthy hops. Some pale malts.

The flavor is quite good for the style. I think it might be hard to make this style good, but this one is not bad at all. The flavor is just simple and strait foward. Not much going on but it's good. And just a HINT of bitterness to make it interesting.

The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Almost medium bodied. Goes down very well.

I could drink the mess out of this. Although I'm glad I only got one from a mixed sixer. But i'm really glad I tried it.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

To those who have lawns to mow, I raise a bottle of Fancy Lawnmower to you!

A: Pale yellow. Bubbly. Thin head.

S: Clean and crisp. Slightly sweet. You can smell the lawn in the Hallertauers.

T: Simple goodness like a Nilla Wafer (without tasting at all like a Nilla Wafer). While I would have preferred an increase in the aforementioned Hallertauers, this is still a good example of what a macro-lager should taste like if they weren't soul-less heathens.

M: Tingly and refreshing...which is exactly what the point of this beer is.

D: If you are outside in the Houston heat, this should be in at least one of your hands.

4.24/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Possibly my favorite session beer so far. Time to review the Fancy Lawnmower!

A: Light gold, good clarity, so-so head fades quickly leaving very little lace.

S: Instant you crack open the bottle you can smell grass, pine needles, summer day. Nice strong scent reminiscent of the name. More scent packed in this mild drinkable beer than many IPAs I've had, but it works.

T: Follows the smell, but much more mildly, and with a nice touch of both malt sweetness and hoppy bitterness in the middle. Would like the flavor to be just a TOUCH more assertive, but all in all, very drinkable and balanced with just the right hint of complexity to intrigue the palate without powering too far over the obvious goals of the brew.

M: Moderate to high carbonation, very light and with a hint of dryness. Very drinkable. I could pour another as I write...

I'll be buying many more cases of these. One of the more enjoyable beers I've had, although better in the summer than in the wintertime. Fortunately, in the brewery's home city, Houston, it's essentially summer most of the year...

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Mostly clear, light golden color. Heavy pour only yields a one finger large bubbled head that fades away pretty quick. Does leave a nice collar and lacing is evident.

Wonderful kolsch aroma. Spicy sweet fresh kolsch yeast is very much on display here. Smells kinda like a freshly mowed yard and a load of laundry just out of the dryer.

Tastes pretty good too. Best described as cutting open a mild poblano pepper and licking the dark green flesh. Has a floral spicy finish and is quite dry. Light bodied, crisp and refreshing while maintaining a high level of flavor. This is a well done kolsch. I can see why it has won GABF awards.

4.17/5  rDev +17.5%

A - Poured into a pint glass this beer produces a 1/4 inch of white head that fades quickly leaving a light ring of lace. The beer is clear and is a light straw color.

S - The nose is a mixture of grain, and grassy/fruity hops. The hops blend together nicely.

M - Light in body with crisp, active carbonation.

T - There is a slight graininess up front followed a light sweetness before melding into the hops from the nose. The grassy/fruity hops combo provides a nice finish along with a light bitterness.

Lawnmower beer is right! It's light, refreshing, and low in alcohol, yet it doesn't sacrifice flavor like the American light lagers. Perfect for this time of the year.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a two finger creamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light grainy malt with a touch of lemon zest.

The taste consisted of a grainy malt, a good grassy hop, a touch of lemon and even a slight yeast ester.

The mouthfeel was on the fuller side of the style with a surprising and enjoyable creaminess.

Overall a very tasty kolsch that is supremely easy to drink. Thanks to brentk56 for this one.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Very pale straw color with a bright white thin head. Lots of carbonation bubbles in the beer.

S: Sweet and grainy with some grassy hop aromas.

T: Sweet and grainy up front and then the beer has a slight fruit flavor and the perfect amount of hop flavor and bitterness. It is a floral hop flavor.

M: High carbonation makes this beer very light and flavorful. The finish is sweet and dry.

D: Yeah, you can drink a whole lot of these beers. Only limiting factor on drinkability is the carbonation...lots of gas.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

A "drink anytime" beer, the Fancy Lawnmower is a clean, flavorful Kölsch with a distinctive grassy flavor

A- Very transparent golden with great head and carbonation

S- Smells earthy with a good balance of spice and wheat/barley malt

T- Taste is what I am usually looking for in a beer. Nothing overpowering, but when you feel for it, it pleases you with a refreshing mix of subtle hopping and grainy malts.

M- Feels and drinks like a light beer with some viscous quality to it

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer is specifically for when you are hot and sweaty from mowing the lawn according brock.

This pours a light yellow color.
This is a crisp light airy kolsch style.
The bottle claims texas kolsch.
I think it hits the mark as a very good kolch style beer.

4.09/5  rDev +15.2%

Got this as a sixer at a HEB in Houston, Texas.

I drank this straight from the fridge- cold beer to relax with at the end of the day.
In a bottle, it looks just fine.
Smell was mild with a promise of cool sweetness, hops were present and it smells like you want to drink it.
Taste was mild and very enjoyable. There was some lingering sweetness on the palate, but not too much. Mellow citrus with a little fresh mown grass.
Mouthfeel was thin, but I think that is characteristic for this style.
Drinkability was great. The moderate ABV and cool refreshing qualities would make this great for a warm outdoor party.

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

On the first weekend of spring (Easter Sunday) this was my new beer after long-overdue housecleaning. A 12 oz. undated, twist-off capped bottle, poured to a pint glass. Beneath the cap reads: "I'll be bock"...funny, I'd hoped it'd be "kolsch"... Thanks to BeerZack for bringing this up to Portland.

A: Typically hazy straw-yellow color crowned with a nearly two-finger pure white head, prickly and frothy all at once. Foam fades quickly, leaving a creamy cover and denser ring; lace slips slowly down the glass. Few visible carbonation streams.

S: Big yeasty aroma - sweet and honey-like. Flowery, grassy, light hop spiciness. Can smell it from a couple feet away, even served straight from the chill of the fridge.

T: Honey and buttered biscuits. Mild fruits, like ripe melons or pears. Doughy chewiness and sugary grain are cut by grassiness and a touch of lemon, mildly bittering hops. A tasty malt-forward treat.

M: It's not a heavy or overly-carbonated style, the Kolsch. Still, I can't help but feel this could be livelier, perhaps richer, more lingering.

D: Try as I might, this was w-a-a-a-y too easy to drink; I'm guessing no more than 5 or 6 'sips' was all it took to finish the glass. Light, perfect for summer warmth. Would have this all the time (between July & October) if available in Portland.

Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower from Saint Arnold Brewing Company