Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Texas, United States

Kölsch |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-21-2001

Bronze Medal, 2006 Great American Beer Festival
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower Alström Bros
Ratings: 758 | Reviews: 257
1.71/5  rDev -51.6%

I picked up a 6 of this because it was on sale. Mistake. Pours with a moderate head that persists fairly well. Initial nose indicates that this might have a Kolsch taste to it, but scents can be deceiving. The first taste is surprisingly disappointing. There's a strong hint of corn, and some degree of bitterness. It completely lacks any bread flavor that I associate with a quality Kolsch. Rather, it has the mouth feel of an American lager+. In that sense, it's clean and non-offensive, and definitely a pounding beer -- as in just finished mowing the lawn in Texas beer. I hope Saint Arnold's reformulates this with possible adjustments to the malt and yeast (or rebrands it for what it is, along with a steeper price reduction), because a good Kolsch is hard to find. As is, it's disappointing, and I'll be avoiding it and its sidekick, Weedwacker.

1.72/5  rDev -51.3%

It's an expensive bud light

1.87/5  rDev -47%

Served in a bottle poured in a pint glass.

A- Very transparent yellow color with very little head.

S- Has some what of a yeast like scent. I want to say it smells grassy, but I don't know if that's something that came to mind because it's called lawn mower and has grass on the label or if it actually smells grassy.

T- Very bland, yeast like flavor. Again the word grassy comes to mind when tasting it.

M- Bitter beer, but not in a good way.

D- I could not have more than one of these. I really didn't like it when it was going down and was fortunate I was able to finish the one I had.

Overall a very nasty bitter beer. Extremely disappointed in this Saint Arnold's brew. The grassy, yeast like flavor really makes it an unbearable beer.

1.92/5  rDev -45.6%

Reviewed 5/20/2006 (On tap @ Brewery):

Golden yellow color, nearly no head, white. Aroma of malts, something else(plants?, grass?) Light watery taste, aftertaste of malts, nutty, fresh, fizzy, light tasting, sour front-taste, water-like, headache-inducing.

2.12/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours a fizzy yellow with a double finger of foamy white head. Smells like stale bread with a bit of stale sweet malts and corn, and some stale hops. This beer might be stale, but no date on the bottle, so who knouse ws. Taste is fizzy, bland and bland. The 24 oz. can of Genny Cream Ale I opened after this has more flavor. I want to like this because I have enjoyed other beers from St. Arnold, but I don't. I also don't mow my lawn, so maybe im out of my element here.

2.12/5  rDev -39.9%

A: The pour is a pale straw color with an initially fluffy white head.

S: Not a good aroma at all. Urine, grass, and corn are what I pick up after the first few sips and I can't be bothered to try any more.

T: I don't believe there is any urine flavor in this beer (though I probably wouldn't know if there was). But, it does have a distinctly malt liquor flavor to it, with plenty of adjunct goodness. A light bitterness, which is one of the few redeeming qualities.

M: The body is light to medium with plenty of fizz.

D: The flavor of this is not quite as bad as the aroma, but the smell of this beer just makes you not want to even try to drink it anymore.

2.16/5  rDev -38.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear straw yellow with a medium fluffy white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet corny malts with a touch of fruit and metallic noble hops.

The flavor is subdued - sweet grainy bready malts with a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall, an OK lager, kind of bland.

2.24/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Didnt like the taste. Had a 12 oz bottle.
Gave me a headache.

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from tap into standard pint glass.

Appearance was pale gold, with little or no head.

The nose had slight grassy/grainy elements. No hop aroma to speak of.

As for taste, this one really isn't my style. Seems like your basic craft beer
version of a light beer. Very light maltiness, clean finish.

It's very clean, crisp, and light on the tongue & palate. A little to watered down for my personal taste, but if you need something light to drink in the dead of summer after mowing the lawn, this one would certainly refresh you, though the refreshement quality is more like water would be as opposed to a really satisfying beer.

As for drinkablility, this one is obviously made to satisfy those who like to tip back a few light beers on a hot afternoon.

2.37/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Microbrew for macro drinkers—a very light beer.

First taste shows abundant carbonation, tickling, tiny bubbles. The fizziness dissipated fairly quickly in the glass.

Flavor seems to be dominated by a malt-liquor-like sweetness. May be a fruit note in the mid-palate. Finish is bitter-metallic, odd, and off-putting.

Food pairing attempted was fried chicken. The beer is much too insubstantial for that. Crab sashimi, maybe?

Not undrinkable; certainly not a go-to.

Hope I've not been harsh or faulted Lawnmower for being true-to-style.

2.4/5  rDev -32%

Pours 1 finger of white head. Color is a clear straw yellow.

Aroma: Bland from the get-go. Grains, corns, and a slight amount of floral hops.

Taste: More floral hops shine through here. It has a fruity boutique flavor. Grassy and earthy with some bready malts. Corn.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, dry, and clean. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very dry.

Overall, fairly basic kolsch. Not too much flavors, but I didn't expect a lot. Taste is better than the nose. Probably not something I would want to drink very much of. Much better kolshs out there.

2.41/5  rDev -31.7%

Had a Fancy Lawnmower when I was in Austin - bottle presented very nicely - could see a nice head that kept washing the bottle walls. Average though.

Smell was a bit odd - a mix of malt, musk, and a bit of hoppiness.

Taste was somewhat like a Coors with hops added. Definitely didn't endear itself to me.

Mouthfeel was a bit below par as there was a lingering astringent finish that overstayed its welcome with me.

Drinkability was okay. I finished the beer but wouldn't search for more of these. There were too many other good beers, by the same brewer even, for me to search out more of these. I'd drink it again though.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

As patriotic as I am, and thus anxious to support (almost) anything Texan, I just can't get behind this beer.

Cloudy yellow pour with thick dirty white head. Smells like coors light (sorry, I know that stings). Taste is masked by a WAY over carbonated mouthfeel. I guess through all that carbonic acid is sweet floral flavor with some citrus. Hops are there, but it's just not worth finding them...all the bubbles keep getting in the way. All I taste is beery soda water.

2.66/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a hazy straw colour, with a big thin head (big being the size, thin being the nature), leaving decent lacing down the glass as I drink.

It smells earthy. Not in the way that many heavier beers will have a loam-like earthy quality, but like it smells kind of like dirt. Almost manure-esque. While manure is techincally fecal matter, this doesn't smell like SHIT per se, it is not particularly a quality I've really noticed in other brews. Reminds me of the midwest, driving through corn fields and cow pastures.

Tastes like a light summery beer, not as thin as I had anticipated. Has kind of a hazy character to it, with that same fertilizer undertow, though it comes through more grassy on the tongue whereas the nose reminded me more of what is under the grass.
Grainy notes remind me again of a long flat drive through Iowa or somewhere similar.

This beer isn't BAD, it's just not something that I'm particularly a big fan of. I wouldn't buy it again, but if someone offered me one, I would drink it.

2.69/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this in a shaker pint.

Clear golden body with a slight white foam on the cap, it fades quickly.

Slightly bitter aromas: grass, cracker malt barely gets through, slight macro astringency, mineral water.

The palate starts out with some lemon and mineral water flavors. Then a little bit of that grassy bitterness seeps in. Finally, a huge cracker malt flavor takes over. It also finishes quite sweet. Man, that was rough.

A little more on the watery side and too bubbly.

I like that a grassy hop bitterness is present. However, the other flavors are too astringent and unappealing to make it a beer worth having.

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

5 oz taster

a – slightly grassy but little hop presence. getting phenols. no DMS.

a – light straw. thin white head. no lacing. no haze.

f – pilsner malt with some breadiness balanced by hop bitterness. little hop flavor. getting oxidization.

m – low carbonation. medium body.

o – this may be an older keg due to lack of CO2 and the slight cardboard flavor. based on this sample would probably pass if offered again.

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

poured from bottle into pilsner

A-clearish golden color. decent head, decent lacing, doesnt last long though.

S-i smelled a lot of corn in this

T-not too bad. very light feeling in flavor, slight corn taste.

M-i did enjoy the feeling though. refreshing.

O-this isnt a bad beer. just not my type of beer. it was better than i had expected though, and refreshing.

2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Pours a hazy pale yellow with a 1 finger white head that diminishes pretty quick.

S - Old grass, a dose of grain, lemons, earthy minerals.

T - Sweet grain, lemons, minerals, yeasty with bits of fruit esters. A pinch of bitterness on the back of the tongue. Finishes semi-wet.

M - Fizzy carbonation, light bodied.

A refreshing beer on a hot day. Wouldn't be my first pick for a lawnmower beer though. Doesn't quite live up to the style profile.

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

A- Pours out pale bright yellow. A finger of white head foams on the top of the beer but doesn't last long, nor does it leave any lacing to show evidence of its presence.

S- A lot of corn, like cooked cornmeal or tamales. A slight white grape skin twang.

T- The corn is still there, though less present, sharing the stage with some hayish malt, light lemony bitterness, and again the green grape flavor.

M- Light, I could take some more carbonation on this one though for how lightly flavored it is.

D- It's swillable, but really I'm wondering if I have a bad bottle. This beer tastes so much of corn that it really reminds me of Coors Light and some other not too tasty macros. Hopefully that's not the intention of the brewers, but I suppose with a beer that's meant to be drank after mowing the lawn, maybe that's what they were going for. Who knows.

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

Reviewed on January 18th in Houston. Saint Arnold boasts being the oldest micro-brewery in Texas, and they sold me on that slogan and the fact that there was a unique flavor in the Lawn Mower Ale. It seems as a summer ale, however, the flavor doesn't come out that easy. It is a very hard beer to drink and is very hoppy. I really enjoy hoppy beers, however, in beer, you are supposed to judge a book by its cover. If it says it's a summer beer, be a little lighter. Not a good choice. Would recommend another company and flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -17%

Good for a hot humid afternoon, and a decent Kolsh overall.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A - almost no head arises when i pour this very pale yellow ale into my glass, only a slight thin ring, some noticeable carbonation, but not an overwhelming amount

S - a thin aroma, lightly hoppy, and malty notes, very had to discern these out let alone anything else, just too light and airy for my nose to pick them up

T - without checking on here, i thought this was an American Macro style, tastes like a quality macro without any adjuncts, you can discern malts and hops, but thats about it

M&D - highly drinkable, the hops and malts, though alone are well balanced and easy to put back, would make a great session beer

2.97/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer struck me as just sort of middle-of-the-road and unexciting. Not bad, but not especially commendable. Too hazy for the style (IMO, based on limited brewing expertise), comparable in taste than other Kolsch's I've had.

It pours a hazy dirty-yellow with a light BMC beer looking head which quickly dissipates. Aroma is Kolsch-like (as I understand it); with some grainy-ness and a bit of metallic (think copper) smell. Flavor is more cereal-y than metallic, but with enough copper-ness to make me think of it as "Kolsch-like" in flavor. Not bad, but nothing to seek out. After cutting the grass on a hot day, I might opt for something else.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

snifter. crystal clear pale yellow color. white head with low retention and low lacing. slight grassy aroma...could just be the name playing tricks on me. corn malts off the bat, very light malts. no big hop aromas. nice sweet citrus malt flavors, very light though. tons of corn malts. no distinct hop flavors. low to medium body. solid carbonation level. very easy to drink, nice and mild. great "lawnmower" beer....haha!

Better than a colors lite. But not much

Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower from Saint Arnold Brewing Company