Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kölsch |  4.90% ABV

Bronze Medal, 2006 Great American Beer Festival

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower Alström Bros
Mora2000

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

I had this on tap during a tour of the Saint Arnold Brewery. The beer poured a straw colored with a nice foamy white head. The beer had a slight lemony/grassy smell and taste. I have had this beer out of the bottle numerous times, but this was the first time I had tried it on tap and it was definitely better on tap. It was also very cool to be drinking the beer while the founder of the company was telling me the history of it. This is one of my favorite hot weather beers and I would recommend it to anyone needing a beer to quench your thirst.

03-21-2008 02:01:31 | More by Mora2000
plaid75

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a two finger creamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light grainy malt with a touch of lemon zest.

The taste consisted of a grainy malt, a good grassy hop, a touch of lemon and even a slight yeast ester.

The mouthfeel was on the fuller side of the style with a surprising and enjoyable creaminess.

Overall a very tasty kolsch that is supremely easy to drink. Thanks to brentk56 for this one.

03-14-2008 02:47:41 | More by plaid75
BeanBone

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Golden, cloudy and effervescent with a thin head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Floral and bitter, almost reminds me of sparkling apple cider

Taste: Crisp and bitter with citrus hints

Mouthfeel: Not as fizzy as its appearance led me to believe, cuts nicely

Drinkability: Somewhat bitter, but would be perfect for a hot Texas afternoon

Verdict: While Kölsch is not one of my normal styles, this is certainly a beer I can enjoy. If I was outside in the heat at a ballgame, this would be an almost perfect choice.

03-13-2008 19:43:06 | More by BeanBone
turbine2475

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Bright golden beer with a slight milky hue that pours a one finger head that quickly disipates
S - Biscuity yeast and earthy hints of wheat and alphalpha
T - Smooth hints of corn and yeast that break way for a citrus bite.
M - Smooth and crisp
D - Great brew for a hot summer day, trumps most beers I have had of the style. Great beer to get any of your friends off the piss beers.

02-10-2008 06:06:24 | More by turbine2475
JDV

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

White head, good hearty light sweet grassy, grain smell with almost no noticable bitterness, and almost creamy yet light. Light to medium carbonation, very easy to drink, but with a slight chemically twinge at times... A great summer beer all around, that is somewhat simple, and easy to drink.

01-07-2008 22:13:35 | More by JDV
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Big thanks to jasonjlewis for this bottle in a recent trade.

Pours lightlty hazy light yellow with a nice head to it that sticks around nicely, lacing is good.

Big aroma of fresh fruit, pears, apples, citrusy lemon. Very aromatic but not overwhelming. Soft mouthfeel and deliciously fresh tasting beer. Notes of wheat malt (maybe?) and lightly kilned 2 row. Carbonation brings out interresting fuit notes in the taste as well.

After prying of the cap with a bottle oppener, I realised it was in a twist-off bottle. These are the stardard in Quebec (although the bottle format is not the same) but I rarely see craft beer from the USA that comes in twist off's.

And twist-off = lawnmower beer for shure! I'd love a couple of these on a hot summer day.

12-23-2007 03:12:29 | More by bloberglawp
MMAJYK

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

A- This Lawnmower pours a bright yellow color that is non-transparent due to it being unfiltered. It leaves 1 finger of bright white head after a semi-agressive pour that dissipates quickly, leaving little to no film on the top.

S- The first smells are of wheat and grass. The rest is doughy and biscuity, like most people have already said. I pick up a sour note, but I cannot put a name on it.

T- Upon first taste, I catch the sweetness of the malt. It is very grassy and grainy just like the smells. There is a lemon-like (tiny) zing in there also, which adds to the refreshment factor of this beer. I am not very familiar with this style, but from what I have read, this is right on.

M- High on carbonation. It burns the entire surface of the tongue upon hitting it. I like this in a refreshment style beer.

D- Very high. I could drink this after doing anything to work up a sweat, or just chilling in the AC.

You may ask, why is he reviewing a Lawnmower in the middle of December?!? Well my friends, it is 77 degrees here in Atlanta today (record heat) and this beer just felt like the right one for the occasion. I understand what St. Arnold was trying to do with this one, and I think they definitely done it. Very refreshing and mild, but nice characteristics of a quality craft brew. Very nice guys! I enjoyed it.

12-11-2007 23:18:23 | More by MMAJYK
RickSawyer

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Since this beers just won a gold medal @ GABF I figured I should give her a good go around. Upsets me a bit that many people are judging this beer against their perferred style rather than this beers style. With that said, I haven't explored kolsch style too much, but have enjoyed a couple for what they are. Not my favorite beer, but such a nice, sessionable beer.

Pours a nice carbonated pour, full of brilliant golden hues. Stark white head that disipates in a couple of seconds. Smells biscuty, slight smell of citrus zest. Taste very similar to the smell. Doughy, biscuty sweet flavor with a nice floral citrus taste that follows. Very drinkable, very nice craft beer that might be a good segway for many into the world of craft brews... Good job Saint Arnolds and kudos on the medal.

11-15-2007 02:25:23 | More by RickSawyer
BeerBelcher

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer struck me as just sort of middle-of-the-road and unexciting. Not bad, but not especially commendable. Too hazy for the style (IMO, based on limited brewing expertise), comparable in taste than other Kolsch's I've had.

It pours a hazy dirty-yellow with a light BMC beer looking head which quickly dissipates. Aroma is Kolsch-like (as I understand it); with some grainy-ness and a bit of metallic (think copper) smell. Flavor is more cereal-y than metallic, but with enough copper-ness to make me think of it as "Kolsch-like" in flavor. Not bad, but nothing to seek out. After cutting the grass on a hot day, I might opt for something else.

11-10-2007 20:13:44 | More by BeerBelcher
hiikeeba

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have seen this on the store shelves for a while, but never bought it. I always went for the Shiner Kolsch. Since they recently won a Gold Medal at the 2007 GABF, I thought I'd give it a try

A: Pours up honey colored with a wispy white head. It's cloudy with golden highlights.

S: Citrusy hops aroma, with a sweet malt smell.

T: starts off with a subtly sweet malt taste, and finishes with a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Very smooth.

M: Good carbonation.

D: A great beer for the Texas summers. I should have been paying more attention to this beer.

10-19-2007 23:38:54 | More by hiikeeba
jasonjlewis

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

Unfiltered, yeast floats in the brew.

I decided to re-review this beer. I have a couple of fresh ones in my fridge from a trade. I talked to the brewer that I had met during my tour of the brewery and he said this beer took the gold at the GABF.

I said fuck it, I will re-review it.

Kolsch beers are decent lawnmower beers, but not a style I really appreciate. However, I've had a few know and I can appreciate a good one.

Repoured into traditional pint glass. Decent head with great retention. Cloudy yellow color

Smell is bready and citrusy. Sweet malt comes out on the palate. One fault some people find with these beers is that they are sweet. I like that they tend to have thick malts though.

Let this beer warm. This beer has off flavors until it warms. Once at about 48 degrees it has superb flavor. It has a citrus twang with a nice breadiness. This is truly a good lawnmower beer. It tastes better than what I had last year. The malts are thicker than most kolsches and it helps to balance the dryness. Nicely balanced.

This will be a beer that's in my fridge during the summer. Give it a try. It clings to the mouth very well and doesn't have an overbearing dryness like some kolsches.

I could make a session out of this easily.

10-15-2007 01:20:49 | More by jasonjlewis
shererjt

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a hazy, medium yellow color with little carbonation and a small head. Aroma was somewhat musty with a citrusy hops and some phenolics. Very fruity and yeast was detectable. Flavor was complex and pleasantly funky, almost Belgian-like. Body was medium and the mouthfeel was creamy. Pretty refreshing and highly drinkable.

An interesting and quaffable beer, but not something I'd go for in a "lawnmower" style as a general rule. Not that this matters, of course, except for it's in the beer's name.

I've always commented/complained that all the St. Arnold beers have the same yeast character. However, this one is different and has something that I've never tasted in a beer before. Reminds me of old tennis shoe smell, but not in a bad way.

Actually, I can't believe I just wrote that.

09-25-2007 18:49:46 | More by shererjt
inbeertruth

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured this from a bottle into my reagenzglas

A: Golden blond, thin head with ample lacing. Loads of carbonation.

S: Citrus and vegital notes.

T: Fruity and vinous, with a touch of malt. Dry aftertaste.

MF: Light with loads of carbonation.

D: I’m actually drinking this after finishing mowing my lawn. It is an excellent thirst quencher, and very light enough to kick back a few or more. If you want a nice segue from your standard pilsner, reach for Arnie’s Lawnmower.

09-11-2007 19:00:27 | More by inbeertruth
bboven

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Light golden color with a thin head full of tiny separate bubbles, lines of carbonation shooting up from the bottom of the glass.

Fruity and malty; a much richer smell than what is typical of this style.

Fruity and sweet, I'm drinking it a bit warm but I can see where this beer, evn ice-cold, would have good flavor.

Thin and bubbly, correct for style, but with a creaminess that's coating without being sticky.

light but flavorful, I've got a new Lawnmower Beer ;]

08-30-2007 01:25:08 | More by bboven
brentk56

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a modest head that quickly declines to a ringlet and leaves scant shards of lacing

Smell: Grainy aroma with a hint of lemon

Taste: Starts out with a slightly sweet grainy flavor that accentuates the sweet element on the way down the gullet; some hops on the finish

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not really to style, this tastes more to me like a lager with a touch of adjunct

07-05-2007 20:40:36 | More by brentk56
Dubblebock

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

Lawn Mower has been a staple of the Houston-based St. Arnold's brewery for about as long as I can remember. It's always a welcome sight through the spring and summer months, easily found and easily quaffed through the heat here in Central Texas.

Lawn Mower pours a hazy golden color, with an average head that manages to stick around for a decidely long time. The nose is cracker-crisp and slightly citrusy. Long chains of bubbles floating excitedly upwards in the mug attest to a good level of carbonation.

The taste is grapefruit and French bread. Dry as a bone and easy to drink. Good balance between hops and malts. Crisp finish with a hint of lemony aftertones.

Great summertime beer. Good with various foods, especially white meats and Tex-Mex. This is a staple of my warm-weather beer drinking, and for good reason. Highly recommended. It's not the best beer that St. Arnie's makes, nor is it highly complex or unusual. It's just a good, down-home, session-beer for the lazy, hazy days of summer.

05-16-2007 03:00:29 | More by Dubblebock
Bierguy5

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Clear light golden color, with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Thin white foamy head trickles down to a even smaller layer very quickly, leaving a few spotty patches of lace.

Pale malt aroma, grainy and floral. Pretty simple.

Pale malt flavor, which seems to be slightly bready. Flavors seem to run together a bit, not clean at all. Moderate amount of bitterness at the end. There is also a strange sweetness that seems out of place.

Light body, with lots of carbonation. Pretty simple. Not crisp enough. Worth a try, but not outstanding.

05-05-2007 13:09:14 | More by Bierguy5
BigRedN

Nebraska

Part of a mixed case of six packs that I brought back form a trip to Ft. Worth. Saved two beers to have after mowing the lawn, it is after all a Lawn Mower beer.

Appearance: Poured from the stubby 12 oz twist off top bottle into a pilsner glass. The beer is a bright, clear, golden yellow. A vigorous pour produces an inch and a half white fluffy head that settles to a solid cloud on the beer. Leaves come good lacing. Many tiny bubble flow through the beer.

Smell: Upon first whiffs I come away with a nice grassy scent, much like a fresh cut lawn in the evening. I also get some floral notes as well as a lemony citrous aroma.

Taste: Touch of sweet malt on the outset. There is some citrousy flavor (I'm stilll leaning towards lemon) with a bit of a yeastiness on the finish. Not much in the way of any real hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Light and lively, well carbonated, not watered down. Crisp, clean (no aftertaste), dry finish.

Drinkability: The name fits this beer perfectly. An unbelievable quaffable beer; perfect for drinking after mowing the lawn. Great on a warm spring evening, probably even better on a hot summer night. I wish this was local for me cause I would buy this by the case in the spring and summer.

04-29-2007 01:54:49 | More by BigRedN
goochpunch

Pours a pale golden straw with a forced head that goes down quick but leaves some scattered lacing. Aroma is of mild pale malts, forceful graininess, lager-like sulfur notes and a cleanness rounding it out. Clean malt flavors meld with a subtle fruitiness. Finishes dry with a floral hoppiness. Mouthfeel is pretty light with a lively carbonation. SOlid drinkability.

04-20-2007 04:46:17 | More by goochpunch
ztprez

Oklahoma

Poured this beer into 16 oz. pilsner glass. It developed a thick creamy head, approx 2".

Smell was fresh and malty, with a hint of hop.

Tast was very good. Clean, crisp, very smooth. Excellent balance between the malt and hops. Good crisp carbonation.

This is a very nice beer. I would recommend to anyone wanting a nice refreshing kolsch or pilsner.

04-10-2007 16:18:38 | More by ztprez
brandoneast

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a great beer to get people started with tasting craft brews. This is what I started my wife on. Anyways, about the beer. Saint Arnolds has crafted a very accessible Kölsch, with a great light color, thin head, but a crisp refreshing taste. Year round brew. If you are new to brew, try it, if you are beer knurd then keep it for the people you are trying to convert.

04-04-2007 23:59:48 | More by brandoneast
jtslay

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

A - very clear, but bottle conditioning has left yeast in the bottle with the beer.

S - clean with a hint of citrus

T - very appealing and smooth. Nothing over powering. I very much prefer bottle conditioned beer.

M - smooth and not very much bite.

D - very drinkable. keep cold.

04-03-2007 04:49:03 | More by jtslay
smcreator

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Typical amber appearance.

S: The smell is similar to a Bud, but has a less abrasive and sweet smell.

T: This beer fixes everything that Bud Light got wrong. Still not the most tasty beer out there.

M: It is a smooth beer that will not fill your mouth, but it is nice when it hits the tongue.

D: This would be a good beer to drink by the pool.

04-02-2007 05:31:06 | More by smcreator
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A - almost no head arises when i pour this very pale yellow ale into my glass, only a slight thin ring, some noticeable carbonation, but not an overwhelming amount

S - a thin aroma, lightly hoppy, and malty notes, very had to discern these out let alone anything else, just too light and airy for my nose to pick them up

T - without checking on here, i thought this was an American Macro style, tastes like a quality macro without any adjuncts, you can discern malts and hops, but thats about it

M&D - highly drinkable, the hops and malts, though alone are well balanced and easy to put back, would make a great session beer

03-10-2007 15:28:01 | More by sinstaineddemon
DaveFL1976

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a fairly hazy light yellow. I'm guessing that the hazieness is a result of some wheat in the brew, but unfortunately the wheat didn't help out too much with head retention. The nose is pretty nice. Clean, smooth and fresh. A little bit of fruityness. Smells like a decent German-style brew.
Taste is a little bitey up front. A hint of lemon is evident. Sweet, low on the bittering hops, but nice and clean. Nothing overpowering here, and the flavors blend pretty nicely. A lawn mower beer indeed. This stuff goes down like iced tea. Rather thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. Again, lemony. Did lemon zest go into this? I like it, and thanks to my coworker Scot for bringing me a bottle from Texas.

02-19-2007 23:56:11 | More by DaveFL1976