Saint Arnold Texas Wheat - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 07-13-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Texas Wheat Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I wish I can review this beer now. I first tried it when I was all about wheat beers, particularly hefeweizens. I had loved this beer at that time. My tastes have changed, though, and am sure the rating would be lower now. I will leave it as it is, though. (256 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: It has yellow body with some cloudiness but not much. There was about a finger and a half of white head with average lacing.

Smell: The aroma was weak for this style. I did not notice much of anything other than grain.

Taste: The taste is very mellow. There are some very mild pepper, citrus and banana esters but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Super thin with a weak carbonation bite.

Overall: I thought this was a good mowing my lawn beer but not what I want for the price (485 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

light and bright. Golden yellow in color with a nice fizzy white head of foam, quick fade left a nice broken crown and a bit of side glass lace. The aroma is light, small hints of grain and light bread malts, a touch of light yeast coming through and a noticeable light hop note. The flavor though is a bit too light, thin with a shallow aftertaste (348 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -42.2%

This beer looked decent. About a finger of white head and a pale yellow in color. The usual suspects typical of wheat beer emerge with notes of orange peel. Taste at first hand has a faded form of coriander and orange, but then there's a major drop. I couldn't wrap my head around it but a buddy of mine nailed it. It tastes like a "diet something". No mid to end range flavor. Mouthfeel here is horrible...tasteless, light liquid. More of these diet type characteristics found in sodas. Drain poured most of this. (514 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

Served on-tap at the brewery tour.

Apparently Saint Arnold is on the verge of discontinuing this one, so I wanted to give it a try before it was too late.

Honestly, I can't blame them... it's a nice light wheat beer, but nothing remarkable about it. It's a pale yellow color, grassy earthy aroma and a weak forgettable flavor.

If they're going to ditch it then they must feel the fermenting space can be put to better use and I don't blame them. More Divine Reserve! (470 characters)

Yellow and sometimes I can smell it. Other times I have to sniff so hard to get a whiff that I suck beer into my nostrils. That sure is a crap way to start a beer. I think I tasted a malt or a hop and maybe a sweet. Is this beer 0.001-hopped? But maybe it's not about the hop(s?). Ohhhh, it's about the malt. Nnno....not so much. I think there's one malt. You know what it has a lot of? Bubbles! I'm talkin' big-ass, Texas-sized bubbles. I like bubbles. Is this where say it's easy to drink? Or that it's refreshing because it's thin and bubbly? Probably, but I like water when I need to be refreshed (Yes I know what W.C. Fields said about water).

Here's what ya do, SA. Turn your flavor and smell knobs on the kettle a little higher. Or not, because this beer is to be refreshed with...I guess. (798 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%

appearance: more on the golden apprearnce with fizzy diaspating head

smell: some banana, mild spice, sublte hop aromas

taste: light clear refresher, no off flavors, decent filtered german wheat

mouthfeel: light-medium bodied

drinkability: It's har dto get a good score from a wheat beer with me. But, this is properly done and well crafted. Just not very complex. (367 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -2.9%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass...

There was a lofty white head that looked like sea foam, the liquid was a pale, murky yellow.

It smells sweet and metallic, almost like a macro but with a hint of hay, orange and lemon.

The taste consists mostly of wheat, there is also some grassy flavors and a very light citrus taste.

This beer is light with subtle carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall I thought it seemed like it was missing something. (456 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -26.5%

On tap at the Brewery into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of off-white head. Color is a slightly hazed pale yellow (I guess this one is filtered). Decent retention.

Aroma: Smells like a macro. Corn and grain. Wheat is light. Very light fruit notes.

Taste: A little more wheat flavors here, but still bready and with grains. Light fruitness. Oranges stick out a bit. Kind of bland.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Lighter to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry, somewhat clean.

Overall, not a very good wheat. Tasted more like an American macro lager. Pretty boring. I would rather go with another wheat. (627 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +13%

I bought this as part of a build your own six pack at the Krogers on W Gray in Houston.

A - Pours a cloudy pale yellow into a pint glass with a thick fuzzy head. No lacing.

S - Strong wheat aroma mixed with a yeast/dough smell. Makes me salivate.

T - Strong wheat taste with sour fruit; grapefruit or some other citrus.

M - Fizzy carbonation, crisp finish with a light mouthfeel.

D - Delicious wheat beer that is easy to drink, light and full of citrus without cloying banana or spices. (491 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

Huge thanks goes to exiled for this extra. My first kristalweizen. Thanks for the style tick Jason. Poured into my duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy golden yellow with just a tint of orange. Two fingers of bright white head. No lace small cap.

S: Sweet and fruity with hints of lemons and oranges. A hint of vanilla and wheat cracker. Smells very similar to a heffe.

T: Mild citrus and wheat, hint of vanilla and tiny bit of corn chips in the finish.

M: Medium to light body. Light bubbly carbonation. Clean finish.

D: Overall a rather easy drinking beer. Not super flavorful but enough to keep it interesting. I could see cracking a few of these on hot summer days. (661 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Exiled for this one!

A: Active, very light body with a bubbly white head. Rescinds quickly. No lacing.

S: Nothing really special from the smell. Almost like a hefe, but more subtle.

T: I thought this was going to be a hefeweizen from the pour and smell, however, it tastes more like Miller Light to me. Albeit the best Miller Light ever.

MF: Light and bubbly. Goes down very smooth.

D: Extremely high, although overall I wasn't all that impressed. (462 characters)

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue XI:

Saint Arnold gives a different twist to the Kristalweizen by fermenting it with a Kolsch yeast strain rather than the traditional clovey-banana German Wheat beer strain, not unlike a handful of brewers in Germany.

A tiny-bubbled white head forms from a somewhat lively carbonation. Clear golden-straw color. Bready, doughy and biscuity aroma emanates from the malt. The yeast drops a note of lilac smell, mingling well with the herbal hops in the nose. Big smoothness up front, with more than enough crispness to bring the drinkability to life. Both barley malt and wheat malt go back and forth on the taste buds with suggestions of a fresh baguette to more of a light cracker flavor. Clean palate, for the most part, the yeast does give a unique flowery flavor throughout, hop bitterness jumps in to help balance and leaves a faint herbal/leafy taste. Finishes dry with a long linger of fresh grain on the tongue.

Very refreshing to break away from the usual clovey-banana combo, and this, without a doubt, more flavorful than your typical American Wheat Ale. An easy pick for a session beer, but bold enough to pair with a hearty fish or even a pork loin. (1,212 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%

This offering was a clear bright straw/golden yellow. The head was 2 fingers of fizzy eggshell white.

The nose was pretty subtle. A light phenolic aroma and lemon added acidity to soft wheat and banana peel.

The flavor had the same qualities as the aroma, with more of a warm wheat character and a tart sweet lemon dessert aftertaste.

The body was quite viscous, with a sticky thick feel. Carbonation meets the mouth right away and keeps it crisp throughout the mouth-coating slurps. Flavor and smell had some spunk to be desired, but it was a well made beer. (565 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Sampled at the brewery.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is about what you would expect, with a lot of wheat as well as some lemony and orange notes. The flavor is a lot of wheat with some lemon. Not very complex, but fairly refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (305 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Into a pint glass, this poured a clear and bright yellow golden color bordering on a light amber. A minor display of carbon bubbles float to the top but result in no head. There is a mellow apricot-like hint over a hard sugar candy nose. This opens up with a lightly tart plum skin taste and a moderately sweet and crisp palate. There is a juicy plum taste to the center and a smooth malt dominated follow through. I'm thinking of sugared plum candies. A good "session" if you're that into the unique sweetness this has to offer. I could enjoy a couple before I'd have to move on to something bigger from Saint Arnold's. (620 characters)

Good solid no-frills wheat beer. I'd be proud if this came out of my brew kettle. Nothing totally exceptional but well balanced and what you expect from a wheat. I could drink them all day with no complaints, but I'd rather have a leinenkugel sunset wheat if i had a choice between the two. (290 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Not exactly crystal clear, but plenty more so than a regular hefe. Large, fluffy white foam that is always nice to see on a wheat beer. This one fades a bit faster than average and leaves some spotty lacing.

Nose is kind of a crossbreed of a wiezen and an American wheat. Mostly wheat tangy aroma with the slightest bit of cloves and bubblegum. Not much banana. A bit of sweet grains there as well, but this is a far cry from Weihenstephaner Kristalweissbier.

Taste falls along the same line with a bit more sweetness than I expected and an earthy, biscuit malt presence that seems a bit out of place too. SA Texas Wheat cannot decide if it wants to go German or American wheat and ends of falling short on both accounts. It is still fairly drinkable and I will not have much trouble finishing off my sixer, but I was hoping for a bit more from a kristalweizen. I have had it more than a few times at the brewery and now I remember why it has taken me so long to getting around to reviewing this one. (1,041 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

[Appearance]: Golden color, clear (maybe some dash of hazy), very carbonated, foamy head, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
[Smell]: Very clean and crisp aroma, bready wheat, citrus, dash of earthly.
[Taste]: Bready wheat up front, some touch of red apples, slight hint of pepper lemon in the mid-palate, I could taste some little earthliness, clean with slight dryness at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Very clean and crisp, carbonation is a little high.
[Drinkability]: Pretty drinkable. (482 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Extra in a recent trade, low priority want but I do love me some wheat beers, thanks!

Beer is CLEAR! I didn't know it was a krystalweiss when I was pouring it, I thought "This had better be a kristalweiss." Yellow to orange. No real head, carbonation low, this style should be 3 - 4 volumes of carb, missing out on the appearance. Looks OK.

Sweet, slightly grainy aroma. I don't smell many esters. Oh no, am I going to like this beer?

Beer is medium to light in body. Aftertaste of grains. Not a lot of forward sweetness or back bitterness. Definitely no banana or clove flavors. Second taste, there is some carbonation in the mouth but not much. The aftertaste wasn't as bad that time. I'm not enjoying this beer. Sorry, I'm kind of a German-style ale guy so I know what I'm talking about when I say this is close to the worst kristalweiss I've had. Its more like a Kolsch... (879 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear golden color topped by a modest head that quickly becomes a ringlet while leaving a few strands of lace behind

Smell: Bready aroma with hints of grain

Taste: Bready, up front, with a rough grainy aspect arriving by mid-palate; after the swallow, the breadiness returns and, in a twist, the finish has some toffee sweetness

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Refreshing and light; clearly a different twist on the style (484 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at the new brewery location.

A: golden in color; pours a good amount of non-retentive head which left minimal lacing on my mug.

S: wheat, banana, a bit of yeast too.

T: a bit lighter than most witbiers. Everything from the nose is here, and it concludes with a pleasantly crisp finish. More watery than most good witbiers though.

M: light and crisp; light carbonation matches the style well.

D: easy drinking here -- great for a warm day in the sun. Sessionable for sure, but I'd much prefer a tastier wit like Paulaner or Augustiner. (546 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +19.2%

Bought a sixer on sale for $7.49. Barely visible inkjet imprint 092309, so probably a month old.

I've only had one kristalweizen before, and they're not much to look at. Pale golden color, no haziness, not much head, and minimal lacing.

The aroma is interesting. Its like smelling fresh from the oven wheat bread, with some pears & strawberry in the background. I really dig it.

The taste has that typical wheat twang to it, also red apples and a bit of caramel, then a wave of some pleasant mild bitterness. Very light on the tongue, not watery though. Just the right amount of carbonation.

I've been putting off buying this beer due to not being terribly impressed by Saint Arnold's other beers and, I gotta admit, the low ABV. Still, this is a solid thirst quencher and well worth buying again. (804 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. stubby brown bottle poured into a weizen glass. Notes.

A: Pours a light straw color with some yeast clouding and lots of carbonation. Nice big head with good retention and some lacing.

S: very wheaty and grainy. Not much in the banana/clove/bubblegum.

T/M: Again, mostliy malt and wheat based. Earthy and husky but tasty. Very little banana and just a touch of clove. Body is light and crisp and carbonation is high and lively.

D: Very drinkable. (457 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +12.7%

As a wheat, it is not the best wheat beer I have had but it is an extremely tasty beer in general.

As I look at this beer I notice that it has a light straw color, and is clear as can be.

It has a very floral and citrus smell to it. Very odd, yet pleasant smell to it.

Tastes good, like a light wheat beer, but not as potent as I prefer in a wheat beer.

Nonetheless I would buy it again although it was mild. (413 characters)

Saint Arnold Texas Wheat from Saint Arnold Brewing Company