1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Saint Arnold Texas Wheat - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Texas WheatSaint Arnold Texas Wheat

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Xadoor on 03-01-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Texas Wheat Alström Bros

jheezee, Dec 07, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -55.8%

Wow, this looks bad. Pours out nearly still (there's one stream of slow bubbles that climbs up the side of the glass). The color is a dull brass. There is no head. Smells wheaty and brothy. Really, this smells like Kitchen Basics brand chicken broth. Tastes pretty much like chicken broth too, but with a hint of citrus and some wheat malt. Where are the phenolics and the esters? This is terrible. Surprisingly, even though this looks like it would be the flattest beer imaginable, the carbonation goes to work overtime: stinging my tongue like one thousand Tomball bees. Mouthfeel is also slick and sticky. Not drinkable at all. What the hell is this? Drain pour.

goochpunch, Jun 23, 2007
1.6/5  rDev -52.2%

A : Pours a golden color with a little bit of white head.

S : Not much to the smell. Some wheat but that's about it

T : Not much to the taste. I'm not really picking up any wheat. It has a sour taste to it that just throws it off. Almost reminds me of a BMC. I've had kristalweizens from Germany and this was nowhere close to it.

M : Thin and light

D : This is the second bottle I've had at different times from different locations and I've had the same opinion of it after both times. I don't plan on giving this one another try

mhewes, May 21, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer looked decent. About a finger of white head and a pale yellow in color. The usual suspects typical of wheat beer emerge with notes of orange peel. Taste at first hand has a faded form of coriander and orange, but then there's a major drop. I couldn't wrap my head around it but a buddy of mine nailed it. It tastes like a "diet something". No mid to end range flavor. Mouthfeel here is horrible...tasteless, light liquid. More of these diet type characteristics found in sodas. Drain poured most of this.

polisanl, Aug 28, 2011

TexAggie011, Dec 25, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass.

i'm not sure if this was an expired bottle or what, i enjoy most of saint arnold's malty (while somewhat mislabeled) beers.

yellowish straw-looking pour with decent fluffy head that disappeared quickly. can't smell much, it's very light.

tastes like a poor quality lager to me. a HINT of wheat and fusel alcohol. very disappointed. watery and mild...it really reminded me of a budweiser. will try another one someday to make sure.

frequentgear, Sep 04, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -30.4%

12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

Pours clear golden yellow. Very little head, especially for a wheat beer. Almost no head retention.

Grassy smell along with wheat like malt. Some fruity scents.

Tastes like peas or something.

Smooth, but with a musty afterteaste. Medium carbonation.

Probably a renaming of their Kristall Weizen. There is nothing great about this beer.

BeerSox, Sep 22, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -29%

TTU94 must have been drunk when he said this beer may be better than Wiehestephan's Wheat.

This beer had no head and no lacing with an aroma so mild and faint that I wasn't sure it was beer until I tasted it.

On to the taste...very, very , very mild with no clove or banana or any other spices to speak of. Just a hint of hops and a hit of sourness. Maybe I got a bad one, and I'll edit this the next time I try it, but for now this is a marginal wheat beer at best.

HotterThanHell, Aug 29, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -26%

I'm really starting into this whole microbrew hobby. So I have no acquired taste as of yet.

Having said that, I am not impressed by this beer. For a wheat, this is awfully similar with a lager. Has a nice wheat head, pours golden. Smell is pretty good, nothing special. Taste is bland that ends with a slight bite. Carbonation is very noticeable.

whoneeds8, Mar 05, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

On tap at the Brewery into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of off-white head. Color is a slightly hazed pale yellow (I guess this one is filtered). Decent retention.

Aroma: Smells like a macro. Corn and grain. Wheat is light. Very light fruit notes.

Taste: A little more wheat flavors here, but still bready and with grains. Light fruitness. Oranges stick out a bit. Kind of bland.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Lighter to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry, somewhat clean.

Overall, not a very good wheat. Tasted more like an American macro lager. Pretty boring. I would rather go with another wheat.

mothman, Nov 30, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -24.5%

Reviewed 12/19/2005 (12oz bottle):

Pours a very light yellow colored body with virtually no head. Has a light malty aroma. Similar to the domestics in both aroma and appearance. Very light palate with a light malty flavor, and a nutty aftertaste. Not a fan.

jujubeast6000, Nov 26, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured a slightly darker than expected color into a Weizen glass from a 12oz bottle. Smell was non-distinct to absent. Taste was disappointing as I look forward to sampling any Weizen that I can get my hands on. Reminded me of a micro version of MGD. The traditional Weizen flavors were missing and I continued to taste corn instead of wheat. Good balanced carbonation, but nothing noteworthy regarding its mouthfeel. Easy to drink, and potentially refreshing, but ultimately disappointing.

Just to ensure that my taste buds weren't fooling me, I went back to the refrigerator a pulled out a Franziskaner Club-Weisse for a Kristal Weizen point of reference. A couple of sips confirmed that the Saint Arnold was deficient, and not my taste buds. This was my second underwhelming experience with a Saint Arnold product (see my 3-17-2005 review of Saint Arnold Amber Ale). Hoping that my third time is a charm.

WTexas, Mar 26, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

WickedD365, May 23, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

Served on-tap at the brewery tour.

Apparently Saint Arnold is on the verge of discontinuing this one, so I wanted to give it a try before it was too late.

Honestly, I can't blame them... it's a nice light wheat beer, but nothing remarkable about it. It's a pale yellow color, grassy earthy aroma and a weak forgettable flavor.

If they're going to ditch it then they must feel the fermenting space can be put to better use and I don't blame them. More Divine Reserve!

theboozecruise, Apr 18, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer pours bright yellow color with a finger of head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is not all that great. I would like to see some hints of lemony citrus and banana and clove in a kristal weizen. This one is all grain, and smells harsh and not tasty. The flavor is just as grainey as the nose. I really really REALLY don't like the wheat malt without a hefe yeast. It just doesn't cut the mustard. It leaves weay too much of the grain flavor that dominates and drowns out any other flavors that may be there. The feel is moderate, which is a little redeaming. Overall, I think this is a beer that is really in the wrong category. I think the American Wheat category is a bastardization of what a wheat beer should be. At least there is a nice moderate, bordering on thick, feel. Man. I get too worked up over this wheat beer thing.

kmpitz2, Mar 05, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

A- A two finger head that was gone before I realized it. This is my first kristal weissen so I expected a typical cloudy beer. When I read they were clear, this beer matched that description.

S- Not a strong wheat beer smell. I noticed the typical banana smell, but it was pretty light. Kind of reminds of a scratch and sniff popcorn sticker.

T- A little bit on the salty side. A slight citrus taste, but not much.

M- Okay. It was very light.

D- It was a light beer. Easy to drink. No complaints, but it isn't much more than average.

rgrholmes168, Jan 27, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

Orange/yellow with a small white head. Head is gone in a flash. Smells just off - a touch of fermented apricots or something like that.
Nice light flavor with a touch of citrus - maybe ahint of clove.
I suppose I'd drink one on a hot day with a lemon wedge thrown in - but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it! Well, actually, I imagine I could always find something I like more, so I just wouldn't buy it.

charlesw, Aug 09, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Not exactly crystal clear, but plenty more so than a regular hefe. Large, fluffy white foam that is always nice to see on a wheat beer. This one fades a bit faster than average and leaves some spotty lacing.

Nose is kind of a crossbreed of a wiezen and an American wheat. Mostly wheat tangy aroma with the slightest bit of cloves and bubblegum. Not much banana. A bit of sweet grains there as well, but this is a far cry from Weihenstephaner Kristalweissbier.

Taste falls along the same line with a bit more sweetness than I expected and an earthy, biscuit malt presence that seems a bit out of place too. SA Texas Wheat cannot decide if it wants to go German or American wheat and ends of falling short on both accounts. It is still fairly drinkable and I will not have much trouble finishing off my sixer, but I was hoping for a bit more from a kristalweizen. I have had it more than a few times at the brewery and now I remember why it has taken me so long to getting around to reviewing this one.

twiggamortis420, May 06, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pale straw....ok, these are my notes and maybe I should have had this earlier in the session because I wrote "hazy clear". As God is my witness, I have no more idea what that means than you do. No head to speak of.
s: honey, vanilla, but very neutral, really
t: tart, some citrus, a sour finish
m: flat-ish with a nice slick feel to it
d: good, very refreshing & easy-drinking
I love supporting my native Texas beers, but this just isn't their best outing.

roblowther, Sep 25, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

I had not heard of this kristalweizen style before, so I thought I was reviewing a straight wheat, but here goes.

Diluted apple juice colored body with no head even after a vigorous straight down the middle pour. No lacing. Very Very Clear.

Aroma is really hefty considering the low ABV and general weakness of the flavor. There's a great bit of bready yeast and a big malted wheat aroma. Exactly what you would expect.

The taste is very weak. Cold it's next to nothing but when it warms the wheat shines, though none of the yeast characteristics, but apparently they are not supposed to be prevelant for this 'style'. Definitely drinkable as the low ABV and diluted flavor seem to be meant for chugging after a lawnmowing session.

Mouhtfeel reminds me of a flat macro lager. Low carbonation, thin, watery, not drying or clinging. Just not a whole lot there; but that seems to be in accordance again with this style I've never heard of.

All in all, tastier than a macro, but don't expect a full flavored wheat beer even though the label says that's what it is. This beer is meant for drinking quickly. Maybe this would actually be one to put some fruit in just to liven it up.

bboven, Dec 23, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a weizen glass. It had a two finger head that quickly dissipated. No laciing or collar. The color was a very pale yellow which was wit-like. The smell was hard to pin down but reminded me more of a pilsner or kolsch then a wheat. Not bad but just not what I expected or wanted. The taste was OK. It was sorta bland and watery. I'm finding that I love hefes, dunkels, american pale wheats but not so much the kristal weizens. They really seem dumbed down. Overall, my least favorite from StA and a bit of a disappointment since I really like their other beers. On the plus side, it's a low ABV and not bad tasting so could be a good session when looking for something to occasionally throw into the rotation. (3, RB, Tie, O)

TexIndy, May 04, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a clear yellow color, with a white two finger head that goes away a little to fast, and leaves some lacing around the glass.

Smell is sweet with some yeast notes.

Taste is spicy at first then turns to some yeast like flavor with some hints of banana that is a little sweet and the finsih is some what dry. A little watery but overall a very nice beer.

weissbierdrinker, Jul 27, 2008