Saint Arnold Texas Wheat - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 07-13-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Texas Wheat Alström Bros
1.69/5  rDev -50.1%

A : Pours a golden color with a little bit of white head.

S : Not much to the smell. Some wheat but that's about it

T : Not much to the taste. I'm not really picking up any wheat. It has a sour taste to it that just throws it off. Almost reminds me of a BMC. I've had kristalweizens from Germany and this was nowhere close to it.

M : Thin and light

D : This is the second bottle I've had at different times from different locations and I've had the same opinion of it after both times. I don't plan on giving this one another try (534 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Acquired via trade from breity, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, wheat, bananas and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is decently balanced with flavors of wheat, some fruit and some spice up front. There's a little bit of breadiness and a little bit of sweetness. There's a mild hops presence and a light but hearty malt character. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, very mild kick, good representation of style, this is nice lighter beer to pound down several of but I didn't find as flavorful as I would like, which is why it wouldn't be one of my first choices. (917 characters)

this used to be the krystalweizen but change the name to accomodate the difficult time people were having saying the name
This pours a golden color with alot of clarity
due to filtration I am sure.

The nose is that oven oven fresh bread and is reqal nice.

This is not a hefe, so if you are looking for a hefe go eleswhere, this is a texas wheat.
It has a real bready tast on the mouth and is very nice to drink but will fill you up quickly (441 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Poures a golden color with a white head

S - Is light has scents of wheaty malt

T - Is also fairly light wheat malt with a touch of citrus

M - Has a medium body with a higher level of carbonation

D - This is a beer that I could session has a pretty good taste and goes down easy (285 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Received in a trade from JDV (thanks Deniz). "Worts 2 live by" on bottle cap.

Served in my Harpoon IPA glass. Poured a tawny gold color. Good clarity with lots of effervescence. Fluffy two-inch white head dissipated into a thin, inconsistent skim of foam within about a minute. Scent of wheat and yeast. Taste similar to nose. Flavors are consistent with style, and seems like a winner; however, finish is somewhat bland and lacking in any real depth or complexity. Nice lively mouthfeel, low abv and clean finish makes this a pretty quaffable summer brew, but somewhat lacking in flavor. Perhaps a wedge of lemon would help enhance the overall experience (656 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

I'm really starting into this whole microbrew hobby. So I have no acquired taste as of yet.

Having said that, I am not impressed by this beer. For a wheat, this is awfully similar with a lager. Has a nice wheat head, pours golden. Smell is pretty good, nothing special. Taste is bland that ends with a slight bite. Carbonation is very noticeable. (347 characters)

Light medium gold pour in a weizen glass with a good white head on it. Slightly hazy pour. Smells of light fruitiness, light wheat and a bit of yeast. Crisp at first, and then a creamier finish with a slight bland wheaty flavor. Nothing spectacular even as far as wheats go, but not bad, and very drinkable. (307 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +15%

Pours a honey brown with big stark white pillowy head made up of tiny bubbles. Nose is big whole wheat, honey, raspberries and some orange zest. Taste begins and ends with nice, white bread wheat. Some berry fruit sweetness in the middle and a bit of bitter orange zest to balance the end out. Mouthfeel is beautiful, slick, light and with enough grip to hold onto the tastebuds for a couple seconds. At 3.9% I can drink this without worrying about letting it go to my head. A wonderful offering, and a great lonestar kristalweizen. (532 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A- A two finger head that was gone before I realized it. This is my first kristal weissen so I expected a typical cloudy beer. When I read they were clear, this beer matched that description.

S- Not a strong wheat beer smell. I noticed the typical banana smell, but it was pretty light. Kind of reminds of a scratch and sniff popcorn sticker.

T- A little bit on the salty side. A slight citrus taste, but not much.

M- Okay. It was very light.

D- It was a light beer. Easy to drink. No complaints, but it isn't much more than average. (537 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle from Whip-In (South Austin, TX). Currently homebrewing a Texas Kolsch recipe from Austin Homebrew Supply and thought this might be an inspirational beer as I hover over my primary fermenter.

Pours a cloudy-hazed pale yellow-gold. One finger of clean wheat head, which minimizes to a thin-ringed layer. Carbonation bubbles float upward throughout.

Aroma: crayon/wax, kernel corn, corn on the cob, crushed wheat

Flavors: wheat, corn, popcorn, 'yellowness,' a bit of saltiness even

Mouthfeel: crisp while chilled, smoother as it warms, very dry on the inner cheek with a medium-lasting aftertaste (604 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -12.7%

I had not heard of this kristalweizen style before, so I thought I was reviewing a straight wheat, but here goes.

Diluted apple juice colored body with no head even after a vigorous straight down the middle pour. No lacing. Very Very Clear.

Aroma is really hefty considering the low ABV and general weakness of the flavor. There's a great bit of bready yeast and a big malted wheat aroma. Exactly what you would expect.

The taste is very weak. Cold it's next to nothing but when it warms the wheat shines, though none of the yeast characteristics, but apparently they are not supposed to be prevelant for this 'style'. Definitely drinkable as the low ABV and diluted flavor seem to be meant for chugging after a lawnmowing session.

Mouhtfeel reminds me of a flat macro lager. Low carbonation, thin, watery, not drying or clinging. Just not a whole lot there; but that seems to be in accordance again with this style I've never heard of.

All in all, tastier than a macro, but don't expect a full flavored wheat beer even though the label says that's what it is. This beer is meant for drinking quickly. Maybe this would actually be one to put some fruit in just to liven it up. (1,181 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked up a sixer while in Kemah. Poured into a pint glass, the thick white head quickly dissipated down into a thin ring on top of a pale, yellow body. The aroma is faint but touches of wheat come through. Taste is wheat with some sour notes in the end. Body is light. This could be very drinkable to someone who loves this style. I am not the biggest fan it. This is an all right beer, it's just not great. I think this would be a good summer beer around Kemah. Though I haven't been here during that time, it just seems like it would be the perfect match considering the area. (579 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Addendum: I’m a huge wheat beer fan. Most of the stuff I drink and keep around the house are German style hefes and kristals. I bought this beer after much fear and trepidation, since it has received low reviews from several members. That said, my mother always encouraged me as a youngster to try new things regardless of what other people say. I have to say that I was very surprised with what this beer had to offer.

And so here it goes...

I bought a six pack of this to celebrate the move-in to my new apartment

Appearance: I poured this into a small weizen glass that I had around. The beer poured a bright hay color, with ample head with good lacing down to the last drop. Carbonation is abundant.

Smell: Wheat, fruit (pear, slight banana/pineapple), and slight hop.

Taste: Wheaty, with fruit traces.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, and delicate.

Drinkability: True, there are better Kristal weizens out there, but Saint Arnold’s Texas is a good staple to have around if you’re a weissbier fan who just wants to kick back and have a cold one. The wheat comes through on this one, both in the nose and the palate. Shows a definite mark of a weiss beer in my book. (1,174 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

TTU94 must have been drunk when he said this beer may be better than Wiehestephan's Wheat.

This beer had no head and no lacing with an aroma so mild and faint that I wasn't sure it was beer until I tasted it.

On to the taste...very, very , very mild with no clove or banana or any other spices to speak of. Just a hint of hops and a hit of sourness. Maybe I got a bad one, and I'll edit this the next time I try it, but for now this is a marginal wheat beer at best. (468 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +26%

First off let me preface this review with the fact that I’m not a big wheat beer fan. That being said I think this beer is fantastic.
First time I had it I immediately noted that it was a filtered wheat beer and I thought oh boy good luck with that. It had a micro sized head that faded quick and left no lacing. The aroma is that of a wheat beer with a hint of hops. The taste is where I really was impressed. The wheat flavor really comes out and there is no in your face lemon punch that so many wheat beers have. It was incredibly smooth and refreshing. I could drink this beer all day and be happy.
In fact, dare I say this beer is better than Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier. Which I have had at the source.
Maybe I need to revisit Bavaria and do another taste test "I've got to get away....I've got to fly away yeah yeah yeah" .
I have become extremely impressed with this little brewery out of Houston. (921 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -56%

Wow, this looks bad. Pours out nearly still (there's one stream of slow bubbles that climbs up the side of the glass). The color is a dull brass. There is no head. Smells wheaty and brothy. Really, this smells like Kitchen Basics brand chicken broth. Tastes pretty much like chicken broth too, but with a hint of citrus and some wheat malt. Where are the phenolics and the esters? This is terrible. Surprisingly, even though this looks like it would be the flattest beer imaginable, the carbonation goes to work overtime: stinging my tongue like one thousand Tomball bees. Mouthfeel is also slick and sticky. Not drinkable at all. What the hell is this? Drain pour. (665 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a weizen glass. It had a two finger head that quickly dissipated. No laciing or collar. The color was a very pale yellow which was wit-like. The smell was hard to pin down but reminded me more of a pilsner or kolsch then a wheat. Not bad but just not what I expected or wanted. The taste was OK. It was sorta bland and watery. I'm finding that I love hefes, dunkels, american pale wheats but not so much the kristal weizens. They really seem dumbed down. Overall, my least favorite from StA and a bit of a disappointment since I really like their other beers. On the plus side, it's a low ABV and not bad tasting so could be a good session when looking for something to occasionally throw into the rotation. (3, RB, Tie, O) (776 characters)

a real pale light color yellow. pours a nice head but it doesnt last.the lite foam laces nicely down the glass.taste ok nothing spectacular. i make sound like i dont like this beer but nothing could be further from the truth. this is a smooth tasting easy going beer.a session beer.one to take to a party. one to introduce your freinds to to get them to stop drinking that lite crap.its a good call ill buy more. (412 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +6.8%

Pale hay colored with a white thick head. No lace and highly carbonated.

Very wheaty with hints of citrusy fruit. A musty aroma seems to lie over the top of this. Hard too really pull anything out seperately.

Sweet sugar cane flavors with a nice wheaty creamy mid palate. Citrus notes are hidden but add to the beer nicely. Good balance and easy too drink. A beer better than the reviews indicate. (403 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: This beer poured a yellow hue with a bright white head that only stood up roughly one inch high and settled at a quarter inch. Lots of beading inside and no much lace to speak of.

Smell: The aromas are of corn husks, wheats, rye, vague piney hops and some earthy tones.

Taste: Sharp wheat at the front, faint pines, rye and corn are the main characters.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied with a medium amount of carbonation and finishes bubbely. Smooth, easy to drink kind of beer.

Drinkability: Overall, this is not a bad beer just nothing overly exciteing to me. A new beer is always worth a try in my book, but if your looking for the best beers out there you may wanna try somewhere else.

Cheers2Beers (723 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a clear straw color, forming a fluffy 1 inch head, leaving light lacing on the glass. The appearance is alot like a Miller Lite or Bud. The aroma is very faint, smelling of light wheat, and maybe a little sweet citrus. The taste has a nice, almost lemon flavor to it. Light wheat notes, and maybe a little grain and corn. Almost like a citrus flavored light beer. The mouthfeel is light and smooth. Overall, this is an easy enough beer to enjoy. I would imagine, this would be a great beer to have on a summer afternoon. Better than most wheat beers I've tried. (624 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +12.4%

I am surprised there is not more reviews for this beer.

Anyways, this beer pours with bright yellow, with a frothy large white head.

The smell gives off light fruit esters. Apple being most prominent. A large amount of wheat, with a solid citrus backing.

Taste is light and pleasantly wheaty. In fact this beer has some of the most prominent wheat presence of any beer I have had to date. This may be a plus or minus depending on if you're a fan of wheat. Layers of delicate citrus and florals surround the bottom end. Making the finish quite enjoyable, and making you want another sip. Drinkability is very good.

This is an awesome Wheat Beer, I recommend this one. (678 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells like a light wheat ale, lots of citrus. I bet it would go great with a meyer lemon, but I don't think it's mellow enough to go with an orange. Feels light and crisp on the tongue with a smooth finish. Easy to drink, especially on a Texas summer afternoon. I think it would do better with less filtering. It's good, but could be better in some areas. (356 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, St Arnold holding a beer and surrounded by wheat on the label. No date info.

Appearance: Pours clear yellow with a bit of an orange tint, very thin head fades quickly.

Smell: Very muted aroma - a bit of wheat and hints of citrus.

Taste: Crisp carbonation and light to medium mouthfeel. Again, the flavors are subtle - some wheat, citrus, and grassy flavors.

Overall impression: Highly drinkable, but definitely not the most exciting beer out there. (494 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale gold color, with a head that fades within seconds. Aroma is very grainy, somewhat sweet. Decent malt flavor up front, with a good deal of wheat flavor; bitterness is moderate with no taste of hops; no yeast character at all. Very clean finish. Thinnish body. Needs more carbonation.

Completely run-of-the-mill American wheat (not a krystalweizen apart from being filtered). (390 characters)

Saint Arnold Texas Wheat from Saint Arnold Brewing Company