Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #6 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Texas, United States

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BgThang on 06-11-2008

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

Man, this is the best barley wine I've had. Beats Bigfoot hands down. The amout of Columbus hops is what does it for me. I love Columbus hops!

Right away I was blatsed with a punjent aroma of hops.... sweet hops.... flowery hops....almost an orangy smell. That aroma alone does me in.

Not to mention the color. This Divine Beer pours a heavenly foggy dirty orange, and the visibility is 1 inch. The head is a light tan cloud that gives off that wonderful aroma. It stays around till your ready to call it a night.

And the flavor is very malty and very hoppy at the same time. I'm enjoying a healthy helping of each in one bottle. So complex, dark fruits, citrus hops, a little raosty. I could go on and on...

Added to all that...the beer is soooo smooth, no harshness at all. Very full bodied.

Summed up, it's a beautiful beer that I will buy more of. Thank you St Arnold. May the Lord bless the hop harvest.

4.92/5  rDev +20.3%

I tried this beer in February 2012. It aged very well and tasted like a barley wine should taste to me perfectly. The depth of the flavor surprised me. It was not boozy for how high the alcohol was. The aroma was quite pleasant for an older beer. Good luck finding some, but worth it if you can find some!

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Waiting 6.5 years to open one of these, not disappointed. Aged incredibly well considering it has moved numerous times to its final home. Pours a dark Carmel brown, brownish white laciness accompanies the pour along with the used sediments in the beer almost need to be filtered at this point not quite. I've never been a fan of barelywines, but this isn't hot or overly pungent. Feels right to me almost getting to the point that it is coming up past its prime, I have 5 more to score the next year or years. Beautiful to have patience for something that was good to begin with and let it evolve to grand.

4.79/5  rDev +17.1%

On point.... This is the best Reserve yet. A nicely hopped barleywine that would punch Bigfoot in the earhole... twice. Pours smooth with just the lightest head. Aroma is semi-sweet with a touch of hops. Taste is ... loss of words. The alcohol is somewhat hidden with the hops. So smooth but you KNOW the hops are there.... outstanding. I don't care about the %, could drink this all night!

GIG'EM to the guy below my review ;)

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%

Big thanks to RickSawyer for this one!

Pours a cloudy dark orange color, some red highlights, tiny little tan head fades into a film on top of the beer, spots of lacing on the glass. Smell is aggressively hoppy, glorious grapefruit smell. Definitely some spicy alcohol on the nose, all backed by some rich, sticky sweet malt. Great nose on this beer! Lots of big, bold citrus flavor, bitter grapefruit, syrupy caramel malts, alchohol becomes more pronounced as it warms....this is delicious. Creamy, chewy, lush mouthfeel, and crazily intense lingering bitterness....excellent. Can't say enough about this Barleywine. Thoroughly enjoyed this one, and I've got 2 more!! Thanks again to RickSawyer for the chance to try this!

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

12oz bottle from mhewes via trade. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a dense 1 1/4" reddish tan head above the slightly cloudy reddish amber brew. Head lasts amazingly for the style, with thick bubbly lace. Aroma is sweet yet with crisp citrus hops. Taste mimics the aromas, sweet maltiness upfront, citrusy hops in the middle, and a melding of both through to the close. Mouthfeel is way smooth, and drinkability is dangerously good. This one is worth finding.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a brilliant hue of maple amber. Very reminiscent of finished oak. Creamy white head pillows up into a nice thick disk of foam coating the walls of the glass. Smell is amazing. Piney, sticky, resiny hops dominate. Like picking up a handful of hops and stuffing your nose in the middle. Following the beautiful hops are floral sweetness, and bittersweet grapefruit aromas... just awesome. Taste quite good! Begins with hints of sweet maple, a touch of shortbread sweetness, hints of spicy ginger and then the columbus hops certainly march in. Think about tapping into a pine tree with a straw made of orange zest. Refreshingly hopped to the point that your taste buds know it, but no over doing it! I do wish I could detect some more of the malt's intricacies but as fresh as this is, the hops cover much of it up. The barleywine certainly covers the mouth in a hoptastic, soapy coat that finishes dry and leaves you yerning for more. The alcohol is there, but doesn't come across as overbearing. I am in love. I can see this one balancing out overtime and becoming quite interesting. Don't get me wrong, this is amazingly awesome right now, but I think it will be fun to watch it change.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on draft at Boondoggles along with a great margherita pizza....

pours up a murky red amber color with a big crazy yellow-brown head, great lacing. the nose is hops, a floral and spicy blend, grapefruit, and subtle alcohol as it warms. the taste is BOLD! and intense! spicy mutha effin hops! taste of grapefruit, sweet malts. subtle sweet to dry finish, big full bodied, low carbo. the alcohol is masked very well. There may be a little bit too much spice from the hops but it wouldn't be Divine Reserve if it wasn't so unique!

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Beautiful beer. I caught this on draft at Boondoggles two weeks ago, and have a few Six Packs aging now.

Appearance- Deep, translucent, Carmel. Strong white head. Decent carbonation.

Smell- Hops aggressive smell, with a malty background.

Taste- This is a wonderfully assembled hop aggressive Barley Wine. This is the best Texas brew that has ever crossed my tongue! It starts on the front with a hoppy bitterness that pleases my palate. Hints of grapefruit, piney trees, floral tannins. As the brew moves through my mouth I start to pick up on a malty balance and an alcohol spice. As the brew moves towards my gullet, it starts to tame and I am left yearning for MORE. The tastes seem to even out and blend as you let the beer warm. I find that I appreciate this brew the most at about 60* F.

Mouthfeel- One place where this beer lets me down, I would not mind a bit of a thicker mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Beautiful beer. I will say this though, no more than two in a night or else I will be useless tomorrow! I honestly could sit back and enjoy this beer for hours.

EDIT- From the bottle- the fresh hops are a bit aggressive. I am sure Age will help this, but I certainly do not mind, as I am a bit of a Hop-head.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a bottle I got recently in trade.

Nice copper color with a medium off-white head, smells wonderful with pine, citrus, and the taste follows. I am lucky to have tried this, I wish it weren't a one-off. Great through the mouth, and drinkability is high despite the fairly large abv. Overall, if you can get this, do so. Its a great american barleywine.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a huge frothy head that will not leave. Nice brown color.

Smell is of large amounts of barley and a huge citrusy hop bill.

Huge amounts of barley with huge amounts of hops! WOO! Pale malts with some lemony citrusy notes with some grassy undertones. Sweet pale and caramel and a little chocolate malts all come together and then meld perfectly with an aggressive hop bitterness. Everything is so coheisive and nicely balanced.

Crisp mouthfeel with a slight creaminess and smoothy. Astringency is fairly low for a 10% abv beer.

I could drink this all day long.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a goblet.
The beer is reddish amber colored and had decent head retention. The hops smelled like pine, just the way I like them. Taste was not only piney hops, but also had some nice malt. This is not as drinkable as other beers, but compared to other barleywines, I found it quite drinkable even though there is a strong alcohol presence.

This is the first one of the Divine Reserve series that I tried and it lived up to expectations.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this exemplary brew.

Pours a nice mahogany red/orange/amber cloudy with a very nice fluffy off white/light tan head that leaves very good lace. Nose is a straight up DiPA with some light malt. Taste is not the same. Hop presence is indeed very fresh, and uniquely clean, but the malts come out alot more in the taste than they do in the nose. A very nice sweetness is present. lacks the adversive acidity found in alot fo american style BWs. Mouthfeel is just about right here, good viscosity while still hanging on to exceptional drinkability. AbV is nowhere to be found here. Overall a very exceptional american barleywine with a very clean and crisp hop presence, that is dangerously drinkable. A very good brew, and one I would defenitely seek out if you are an american BW fan. Great brew.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Obtained though a trade with hopsleeroy. Served in a thistle glass at 60F.

Rich, highly aromatic, English toffee caramelly sweetness and subtle light fruitiness, overlaid with a stiff herbal hoppiness. Happily, there is no harsh bittering hops bite, as with SN Bigfoot, for example.

Not excessively boozy or young tasting. Overall, fantastic and highly quaffable.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

ruby pour with a 1 finger cream head that thins out and leaves a great lacing. hops, grapefruit and caramel on the nose. the malts really thicken this beer up quite well. the hops are very strong and bitter at first and they don't leave until you've cleaned your palate.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

In celebration of the DR#7 release today, I decided to finally review DR#6. Thanks to Rick at LoneStar Beverages for hooking me up. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It was an opaque reddish orange color. No visible carb but some lacing. It had about a finger of beige head that slowly settled to broken foam .

The aroma was heavy on citric hops with a sweet malt base. Really liked the aroma on this one. Good hop bite but not overpowering. The taste followed the aroma. Really good hop bite that doesn't shred your tongue. Good bitter finish that stops before being too bitter. Well balanced. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy with a good hop slap.

Overall, another excellent beer from StA. The Divine Reserve series is a miracle that just keeps repeating itself. Can't wait to try DR7 and keep praying that DR5 becomes a regular in the lineup once the brewery expands. Highly, highly recommend.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Thank you Flying Saucer and Saint Arnold BC!!!

Serving Notes: Tulip Glass. 55-60 degrees. 2 year cellared bottles.

A: Muddy brown leather body with a healthy dose of yeasty sediment and particulates. A dark khaki head that settles to about 1/2" and remains throughout consumption. Mild lacing.

S: Big and Boozy! Plentiful hop resin aromas with a colossal offering of sweet caramel malts and toffee. This smell becomes bigger with the rising temperature.

T: Earthy and still citrus at the same time. The floral/citrus hops open the show and usher in the caramel and toffee flavors found in the nose of the beer. Finishes dry and bitter.

M: Appropriate carbonation. Medium body. Smooth and silky but not without teeth.

D: I may start to cry here as it is unlikely that I will ever have the pleasure of having this brew again. I had two of them last night at the Flying Saucer's 9th Revolution (Anniversary).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well I finally consumed my last one from my trip to Texas last summer... this review is a bit of an amalgamation, as I'd taken notes on my previous drinking experiences, and I think this lost a little bit with age, sadly.

Regardless of when I had this, it poured a gorgeous ruby hue, luscious and creamy looking with a rush of tiny bubbles to form a thick, stout head with great lacing and retention.

The aroma was pungently hop forward, citrus fruit and flowers sliding into a round, caramel sweetness. Currants and almost a candied walnut earthy sweetness.

In terms of balance on the palate this was sublimely perfect, although some purists or more English Barleywine oriented might find this lacking some of the intense depth of maltiness found in others, to me this was spectacular. A round, rich mid-palate maltiness of caramel and light toast that finishes dry, dry dry... allowing a passion fruit hoppy flavor (the citrus disappearing) combined with a bit of rose water. My most recent bottle had lost some of this amazing hop flavor, and as it stands now the dry (for a barleywine) finish still made this an astoundingly drinkable barleywine, but wasn't quite the warm, end of the meal sipper others might be looking for.

It pushes towards a DIPA, but distinctly has a figgy, caramel boldness mid-palate that even Imperial Reds seem to lack. Strangely I wasn't wowed by the mouthfeel despite the appearance, not quite as velvety or filling as the best.

Loved this beer, it will be remembered fondly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a massive head that leaves sheets of lace

Smell: So here we are, two years later, and this beer still smells of resinous pine and pineapple (Incredible!)

Taste: Opens with a cake batter flavor that is followed, quickly, by the resinous hops and caramel undertones; after the swallow, the flavors kick it up a notch, so that the hops leave a mouth-puckering flavor; the brown sugar leaves a noticeable sweetness on the tongue at the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: An amazing beer with a few years of age; worth seeking out

Thanks, MiguelMandingo, for the opportunity

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. twist off (thx northyorksammy!) with lots of crust on the threads below the cap that had me fear a leak, even though turning it upside down was fine...screwing off the cap, the first thing I noticed was what looked like a mold colony of black dots on the inside of the cap. Poured it into my Delirium snifter, and it's ruby with a pretty vigorous light sand head, leaving very heavy chunks of foamy lace.

Smell is malty and rich, the first whiff calmed my fears that it was infected, this is clearly a pure barleywine. Nutty malt and pretty strong herbal hops. Really nice, like an orange creamsicle.

Taste is good, classic American BW, malty and hoppy, but a nice balance, overall pretty smooth. I'd guess English noble hops from the floral spice notes, toffee like malt, a twinge of sourness. I'm really digging it and am quite impressed, it goes to show that it's really not that hard to make a good BW (no knock on St. Arnold, but more on the OMG this is a nut buster reaction that some of them get). But I give them the extra point for the smooth, well hidden alcohol.

Mouthfeel is super creamy, not to heavy, a drier finish.

Drinkability is pretty high, this is one that lives up to the hype for sure! Really flawless, if not the best BW I've had, it's pretty damn impressive.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Initial Notes:
Finally, the great Divine Reserve. Nice little yeast cake on the bottle of the bottle.

This has a very hop-oriented aroma, like Bigfoot. Citric and resinous with spicy undertones. Richly roasted toasty malt with allusions to a soft sweetness. Closer sniffing reveals some spicy alcohol. Devilishly alluring to a hop-head like myself.

Pours a murky brown (caramel) color, highly translucent. Moderately sized light brown head with lackluster retention. Bits of soft, velvety lace and bubbles remain.

At first sip I'm surprised at how much alcohol I find. It's pretty zesty, and only overwhelms me for a moment. Dark malt flavors and bitter hops seize control and proceed to wage war on one another. No prominent, dominating flavor as of yet.

Hop flavor advances - grassy and lemon-citric, with a floral arrangement on the side. Still deeper, I keep tasting more astringent highly-extracted hop that reminds me of IPAs I've brewed in which the hops had a prolonged interaction with the fermentation. It's subtle enough so far here to not scare me off; and it seems to be working well with the sweetness.

Malt side retaliates with dark pre-ripe fruit sweetness and (what I take to be) some bitterness of its own. Roasty, earthy, and smoky wood flavors suggest outdoor cooking and terroir. Some herbal rebuttal from the hop and then off again with hints of toast and biscuit. Deeper sweetness in the vein of caramel takes increasing president once I realize the beer looks very much like caramel - dark and buttery brown (as noted above). Vanilla notes... was this oaked? Mmmm.

Soft velvet mouthfeel with thick body. Loads of hop bitterness to balance along with dull carbonation and alcohol tingles.

Final Notes:
Dry finish with more alcohol spice and coup de grâce of hop bitterness. I suppose I'd have to conclude that the balance is way off in hop-land, but I like being off-centered.

The Verdict:
A woody hop-dominated Barleywine with a dry demeanor and a tasty terroir. Definitely the best Saint Arnold I've had (just ahead of Elissa). From this experience with Divine Reserve, if it was released year-around I know I'd buy a couple throughout the year, and the hype-cloud surrounding it would be minimal. Until then I'll have to live with the greedy beerophiles who snatch it up by the crate-full the morning it's released.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Pours a dark ruby brown, with 2-finger off white head. Good retention, thin sheets of lacing.

S - Terrific aroma of pine, fig, and caramel malts. A hint of booziness as the smell lingers.

T - Starts with sweet malts, then the hops come in and balance the flavor out nicely.

M - Medium body, good carbonation. Nice and creamy, leaves a fairly dry finish with some hoppy bitterness lingering.

D - Great, drinkable brew, despite its strength. I'm glad I've got a couple more in the cellar. Well worth seeking out.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Huge thanks to hopsleeroy for sending this one up to me... Thanks, Lee!!

Wow, this poured out a very dark reddish amber with a surprising head...very attractive brew...

I really didn't get as much off of the aroma at first.. Some faint hops that slowly began to grow more pungent as it warmed a litlle bit..IMO, this was one of the weaker aspects of the brew..

What this brew lacked in aroma it more than made up for in taste... Holy cow, this is one delicious barleywine. Its is loaded with fresh juicy citrusy hops and kicks you right in the teeth from the first sip...there are some sweet malts in the background but this is all about the hops right now and I like it... Just absolutely delicious...

This would probably cellar great but when it tastes this good fresh, who could wait? This was an elite barleywine in my opinion, right up there with the heavyweights...

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to OlieIPA for hooking me up with this beer. No indication of ABV on the bottle.

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, this beer pours an opaque amber color with a ruddy brown tint to it. I poured the entire contents of the bottle into my glass without noticing the thick layer of yeast sediment at the bottom. Lots of yeast particles to be seen. The sticky head is tan in color and leaves some web-like lacing after each sip. A fluffy cap lasts for the duration. Ok, on to the beer.

S- The smell reminds me of aged Bigfoot Ale. Resiny hop aromas backed by lots and lots of sticky-sweet, fruity malts along with prominent notes of caramel and toffee. Strong boozy notes emerge as the beer hits room temp. The aroma takes on a scotch-like quality the warmer it gets.

T- The taste follows the smell nicely. A citrusy hop bitterness moves quickly to sweet flavors of caramelized dark fruits and rich toffee. The dry finish leaves a lasting tobacco bitterness on the palate. I started to feel the "heat" about halfway through my glass.

M- A medium to full-bodied feel with light carbonation. The richness of the taste and smell had me anticipating a slightly more viscous texture.

D- This is highly drinkable stuff. I assume that the beer has a high alcohol content- BA says 10%, so I'll go with that. It's a great sipper. Think Sierra Nevada Bigfoot with less hop bitterness and less viscosity. I really enjoyed it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

A big thanks to thickerfreakness for this unexpected treat I received in the mail. I told him how much I dug #6 fresh and he sent me a couple to see how they've changed. Thanks a lot Charles.

Divine Reserve #5 is deep red with ruby highlights and a one inch, off white head. The head recedes after two minutes, leaving some nice lacing on my tulip.

The beer has changed a bit since I last tried it. I really loved the citrus hoppy character to it fresh, and I find that I'm liking the mellowed out aged one a lot as well. The aroma has a diminished level of hop character. What was once a hop aroma completely citrus dominated, has turned out to be more earthy than citrusy, but it still has some citrus notes to it as well as some pine. The sweet bready and caramel malt is the highlight of this aroma. It's very rich, with some toffee notes to it, and all around fantastic. Some alcohol is noticeable, but I wouldn't guess that it's 10%. This beer started out at about 53 degrees, and the warmer it gets, the better it smells.

The flavor still has a nice medium-high level of hop bitterness with earthy, citrus, and pine notes. I love the toffee and caramel sweetness. The malt is also biscuity and bready. This is still quite bitter, to the point that I'd say the scale is not at all balanced but rather still tipping heavily toward bitterness, which I think is pretty fantastic. The finish is nice and sweet, with notes of caramel, a strong alcohol presence, and a nice, agressive, lingering hop bitterness.

Divine Reserve #6 is medium bodied with a low-medium level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is silky smooth while remaining lethal and biting.

On an unrelated note, I can't help but wish that Saint Arnold had barrel aged some of this. I can only imagine how delicious that would be.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #6 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company