Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Weizenbock |  8.40% ABV

(Beer added by: thickerfreakness on 09-23-2008)
Reviews by pheggeseth:
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Aged for one year. Reviewed on 1/22/10.

sweet and sour smell, more so than when I tried it soon after it's release last year, acohol very prominent, rich sweet dark fruit and caramel flavor, sweet maltiness in the very back, nice effervesent carbonation.

Overall very good, but kind of strange for a weizenbock.

pheggeseth, Feb 13, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A-Dark pour with minimal head, dark but not stout like, slightly brown
S-Banana esther on the new, little bit of chocolate underneath
T-Banana with cocoa/chocolate base, slightly must, wheat grain flavor comes through as it warms. Not bad but not fantastic
M-Medium carbo, slightly prickly carbo which makes it seems not as smooth and similiar to many Saint Arnold's brews
D-I could drink a few more of these but I wouldn't drive all over town to get more.

hopsleeroy, Oct 01, 2008

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue XI:

Are Weizenbocks the next revolving trend from American brewers? This one is brewed with three different wheat malts and a traditional Bavarian wheat yeast.

Pours a little thick with an opaque, dark-brown color. Thin tan lacing forms after two fingers of head drops down; the lace does stay around for the duration. Big aroma of chocolate, faint charred malt, spicy clove and a fruitiness that ranges from ripe banana to black currants. A very thick, full body, almost syrup-like with a deeply planted carbonation that brings a good amount of smoothness. Both banana and clove are present but have been quelled mostly by the malt complexities and a little by the other yeast flavors. Unsweetened chocolate throughout, toasted bread and a faint raw, honey-like maltiness show off the complexities here. Mild hopping, though there is a quick kiss of bitterness. Fruitiness does have that banana tone, though with the higher alcohol, some black currant and pineapple appears. Clove spice becomes a bit overshadowed by a mild medicinal phenol. Finishes semisweet with a nutty grain and yeast combo.

We really love the direction this beer took, making for a not-so-typical Weizenbock. The stronger flavors of chocolate worked and expressed not just the banana/clove duo. Would a little bit of cellar time make this beer better? Perhaps, but it is perfectly fine now.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 20, 2010

Ben7773, Jan 21, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

I thought I had reviewed this before. Guess not. Going from notes that I took when I drank this in late 2008.

Beer pours dark brown with a tan head. Darker than other weizenbocks I have had. The smell is dark fruit with some booziness. The flavor is dark fruit with some spices as well as some darker malts and some smoke. You also get some of the expected banana and clove notes but they are not front and center. The alcohol that is present in the aroma is also present in the flavor. This is a boozy beer. Really different than other beers of this style, but I like it.

Mora2000, Jan 17, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

This is my first Weizenbock. I am handicapped in this tasting as I've been fighting allergies lately. I'll be sure to update this review after allergy season.

Pours out dark, almost black. With very light tan head that dissipated rather quickly to a nice lacing that sticks around. There is a medium amount of alcohol scent.

The smell is sweet, yet I can't quite put a finger on the scent (probably allergies).

Taste is roasted chocolate malt. Not much of an alcohol feel as the scent would make you believe.

Mouthfeel is very light on the carbonation.

Overall, I've never had a Weizenbock. So I have no realm of reference as to the quality of this. As a reserve, I would say it's just above average but not the greatest.

EDIT: I opened my second bottle and poured this into a Weizen glass. The head was much better this time than when poured into a large wine glass.

whoneeds8, Sep 24, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to crazynelson for the bottle.

12oz. stubby brown bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a deep deep garnet, nearly no light. Moderate head on the pour, lightly fizzy. Decent retention but not much lacing.

S: The nose seems to have mellowed a little bit from the age but still some nice malty and dark wheat notes. Some alcohol as well... smells nice.

T/M: Some melded flavors from the age. Nice maltiness that is backed up with more of the deep wheaty flavors. Still some alcohol but nicely rounded. Some light chocolately notes with strong dark fruit overtones. Body is medium full and the carbonation is just enough to smooth things out.

D: I would have really liked to try this one fresh but it's aged pretty well. ABV isn't outrageous and the alcohol is nice and warming.

pwoods, May 27, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +12%

The entire pour looks the last yeasty pour of homebrew. It is murky and cloudy, the color of oil rubbed bronze. The head is thin and chocolate colored, fades fast to nothing but a collar of foam.

Smell is rich and chocolaty mixed with a little coffee. There is a toasted cereal nose with hints of bananas. There is a simple chalkiness to the nose but nothing that distracts from the major players here.

Taste is just short of outstanding. I love the smoky roasted flavors that start this taste sensation. There is a sweetened coffee note that seduces the tongue and a yeasty, chocolate banana finish.

Wow I am always surprised by the the stellar brews from St. Arnold. This one has a smooth feel and a drier chalky finish. Very complex layered flavors all add to the enjoyment of this brew. I'd like to write more about it but I just want to sit back and enjoy it. It will be a sad day when this one is gone.

jbphoto88, Oct 02, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks to the one and only stopbarking for this one.

Pours a very dark nearly impenetrable brown with purpley kind of tones. A big white head that retains very well for a wheat beer, and leaves moderate lacing. Appears to be quite viscous for the style.

Nose is alot of banana and clove. Seems kind of heavy with slight butteriness. The yeast stands out in this one pretty strong.

Taste follows. Quite rich relatively speaking. Banana jumps out, slight clove. Some faint light fruit in here. The yeast does have that strong banana wheat beer smack. There is a sweetness, but it is nowhere near what the nose and the viscosity indicated. The yeast is so strong here. A good malt presence, stronger than your average weizenbock (dunkelish, duh!) The finish is nice, moderately dry but certainly not overly so.

Mouthfeel is defenitely thicker than i expected before this was open, but after i saw the pour it was not such a suprise. Viscosity is a little bit heavy here, but not overbearingly so. Slightly undercarbonated as well. And the carbonation just isnt as fizzy as the german styles tend to be, but it is not bothering me much.

Drinkability is very decent, the odd extra viscosity in the mouthfeel, and the strength of the yeast does hamper it a bit, but certainly a very drinkable beer.

Overall, this is quite the complex dunkelweizenbockthingamajig. The added body and sweetness brings a different aspect to it, but not in a particularly bad way. This is just a tiny bit more of a sipper than your common Wbocks. Certainly and interesting and style hybridizing brew. Not to go all Mendelian on you, but it is interesing. Would defenitely revisit this if it was local, but it is not a slammer like VITUS etc. I know I know, hard boots to fill, but i blame our Weizenbock tolerance solely on ColoradoBobs. A good beer, and certainly worth giving a try. Good to see the DR series is still going strong. Goddamn dogs! Why wont they stop! stopbarking goddamnit! stopbarking!

AKBelgianBeast, Oct 24, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Smokey, tabacco bbq saucey Texas take on the style. A little lace is left after the head goesdon on a lightish looking body. You can smell and taste the smokey sauce,its quite drinkable and not done to extreme. Drying finish. Nice, though not (meant) to be bang on the style.

Sammy, Dec 17, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Huge thanks to csmiley for the bottle.

Appearance: This one's very hazy and a dark, nut brown color. There's a nice looking plum color around the edges. Upon close inspection, a healthy amount of yeast is swimming about in there. It's capped with a nice looking tan head that stands two fingers tall. It stuck around for a few and left a light lacing on the glass. Very impressive looking beer.

Smell: The nose is pretty good, but lacks some punch. It consists of primarily malt, banana, and spices. Clove is the primarily spice with some other varieties thrown in for good measure. There's a prevalent yeasty aroma throughout. There's some light dark fruit notes. Smells like plum mostly. There's a grainy/aspect to it. No alcohol is noticeable here. It's a good smelling beer, but could stand to be beefed up a little.

Taste: The flavor profile's a notch above the nose, but not so much to warrant a higher score. It is sweet and malty initially. There's a very light roasted malt flavor that's surprising. Banana and clove flavors really bring it to life. They're very flavorful and really make this beer. There is a strong pepper taste (perhaps too strong) in there. I've really considered awarding a 4.5 here, but it's just not quite there. Plum and light raisin flavors emerge and there's even a light tart flavor. It is somewhat grainy and has a nice biscuity taste on the tail. Again, alcohol is blended very well as it's not noticeable. It finishes sweet and a little tart.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It features a medium body and really does have a nice smooth feel. Carbonation is pretty active and does negate some of the smoothness, but it's still pretty damn nice. Drinkability is very high. I'm really enjoying this bottle and wish I had a few more.

This is yet another impressive Divine Reserve. I really hate that we don't get Saint Arnold's in Ohio. I'm impressed with their beer. The only slight improvements that could be made here are a slight bump in strength on the nose and perhaps a little less pepper. Very small gripes. This is an all around very good Weizenbock that's worth seeking out. Thanks, Chris.

prototypic, Nov 06, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Got this from RblWthACoz, cheers John!

Pours chestnut/mahogany with 2 fingers of brown-tinged tan head. Below average head retention & lacing

S: Bubblegum, a bit of dark fruit, plums mostly, plus iron

T: Jammyness, plums, cocoa & some cloves, plus chalky dryness up front. I get a slight smokeyness, plus more plums as this warms & a hint of apple pie spice. Finishes with much plummyness, dryness & a touch of figs

Mf: Medium bodied, low carbonation, a bit too dry for me

Drinks alright, too damn dry for me to really get into, glad I got to try this, not really up to speed with the great weizenbocks

russpowell, Dec 14, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

SADR#7 pours up with ample carbonation that creates a rather fizzy, tannish-brown colored head that's lingers above the chestnut-russet brown body. The clarity is expectedly cloudy, but becomes a bit brighter as it warms. The dark fruity aroma lacks some of the typical esters & phenols associated with the style and showcases some caramel-rich maltiness, but the roastiness really dominates along with a surprisingly interesting sourness. There's just a hint of spiciness that emerges as the beer warms in hand. Hint of oxidation. Not all that compelling to be honest. The flavor starts to develop sweetness before getting undercut by a less than complimentary bitterness, but a light-moderate fruitiness (date sugar, raisin pie, blackened fig) and light phenolic spiciness (allspice, clove) finally emerge to offer some interest to the overly tart, roasty, bittersweet finish. This medium bodied Weizenbock really lacks creaminess and is really "lean" compared to some of its European counterparts. I must confess that I was really expecting quite a bit more from this one, yet it still makes for an interesting sipper. Don't try to stylize it or you may be dissapointed. I'd say given the relative tartness that this bottle is either past its prime or wasn't handled very well. Here's to the barley blessings of Saint Arnold!

Prosit! Beertracker

Beertracker, Mar 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle got in a BIF from Mauerhan....thanks for everything Topher!

A- Pours a deep dark chocolate brown. There is no seeing through this one of course! Good mocha colored 1 and a half finger head that stays for a second before leaving no real lacing to speak of.

S- Oh this is interesting to say the least. Good hints of dark chocolate from the get go. A light alcohol smell with this as well. Some dark fruits pop up I would say plums and raisins. Some bready malts in there too. Just a wonderful smelling beer in my opinion.

T- Oh...I can taste the sweetness to this right away. It kind of reminds me of a very young DL with the intial upfront chocolate malty taste to it. Call me crazy but that's how I call it. The flavors overall are of dark fruits I can really taste the raisin I think or maybe it's the plum that sticks out. Some wheaty undertones that balance the whole beer out. Good clean beer in my opinion and I'm not one for weizenbocks to be honest.

M- This has a medium mouthfeel to it. I really enjoyed the low carbonation in this that made the beer the perfect sipper for me. Good creamy feeling to it and the carbonation didn't take that away at all. Rests on the palate as it goes down the back of the throat. Pleasant aftertaste that makes you want to sip some more.

D- This is a very nice suprise to me. I wish now that I hadn't drank it and kept on to it for a little while. I will look out for more beers from this brewery in the future!

alleykatking, Jun 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

pours translucent Mississippi River dirty brown, with frothy dirt bubbles - enticing to say the least!
smell is all over banana, sugar cookie, chocolate pudding - with some extra bittersweet bakers cocoa powder - exactly what'd I'd want from this style in the aroma
Flavors exhibit the aromas but bring a malty sweetness to the table and a nudge of hops in the far back - would want some additional complexity of fruity notes that I was expecting on the palate

I could only quaff one of these - as a desert

brandoneast, Jan 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Believe it or not, this is actually my first weizenbock. I don't get really excited about wheat beers in general, so I guess I just haven't gotten around to trying this style. Anyways, I luckily managed to pick up a sixer of this before it sold out...

Pours an extremely dark, cloudy brown with a tan head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a tiny amount of lacing behind. Aroma is huge; tons of banana, with a bit of roasted malt and just a hint of alcohol. This beer is very well balanced. Taste is slightly sweet and malty at first. Flavors that stand out are banana, wheat, and roasted malt. Finishes with more bitterness than I had expected out of such a malty weizen. Becomes slightly chocolatey as the beer starts to warm up. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and creamy, with moderate carbonation.

All in all, this beer blew me away. I was not expecting to like it all that much, but now I wish I had bought more.

timmah427, Sep 24, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Deep brown pour with a thick head that belies the only average body. Oddly, the aroma reminds me of root beer, with some clove. Very nice flavors of banana, clove, some oakiness (?), and those root beer cues again -- probably better characterized as vanilla. But I get more of that than the as-advertised chocolate. The alcohol tone is just right, giving this a nice mouthfeel and slight afterburn. More oak notes on the aftertaste...?

Flyer, Oct 29, 2008

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep cloudy brown color lager with a large medium brown foamy head with good retention and light lacing. Aroma of banana and deep caramel/toffee malt is very interesting. Taste is a very nice mix between a solid caramel and toffee malt backbone with a nice touch of banana ester. Balance between sweetness and ester is well mastered with a full body with limited filtration and no alcohol was discernable. One of the best beer form the Divine series.

Phyl21ca, Dec 29, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

Dark brown with a decent sized head of cream-colored bubbles. Would be much better if they lasted longer, eh?

Well, heck, it smells like a weizenbock. Deep and sweet fruit, hints of 'nanners. Pleasantly of a nice fall walk through rainy woods...

Shucks. Tastes sharply of coffee and raw cranberries. Maybe mine bottle fermented and just got really dry and sour. Maybe that wasn't the intention of the brewer. I can only hope. Alas, with this sour fad going around I can only guess that it's intentional.

Way too thin and fizzy in the mouth and I can't finish one much less think about drinking another!

charlesw, Jul 11, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but it was a one time release so date known) into a pint glass. It was a very dark brown, almost black, color. Slight carb with no lacing. It had a 2 finger beige head that slowly settled into a small broken foam with a collar.

The aroma was chocolate malt with bananas and cloves. Smelled really good. I usually am not a big fan of the style as it usually has a darker fruit aroma but this one didn't so was right up my alley. Only complaint is that the aroma really started to fade as it warmed up. The taste was also excellent and again not what I usually find in this style. Had a really smooth taste from start to finish. Very drinkable considering the high ABV. Goes down light a session beer. Mouthfeel was good but needed something more to it in my opinion. Maybe a little more carb or more creamy.

Overall, another exceptional beer from StA that is worth the high praise. A worthy member of the DR lineup - top 3 for me. Highly recommend. Gonna save one for cellaring till next year.

TexIndy, Dec 11, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz received in my recent trade with MiguelMandingo... bad ass trader... honest... I couldn't wait to try this one... so I didn't wait. Poured into my Smokestack Goblet.

3 finger head... not alot of lace.. nice tan cap though.. brew is dark and hazy... looks yummy even while pouring.

Aroma is lite.... chocolate covered bananas with a dusting of cocoa just for good measure... more esters show as it warms... so does a little breadiness.

Flavor begins with cocoa.. melting seemlessly into clove spiked bananas.. the cocoa flavor helps keep it not as sweet/malty as I would have guessed.. sorta dries it out mid palate.. carbonation is a little light for the style.. but the creamy body more than makes up for it... finish is looong ... a little tart.. and alot of the expected yeastiness.

This brew is very good... very good... drinkablity takes a slight hit just because it is hugely complex and a definite sipper. I wish I had a case of these so I could see how some age would do... I think some more time in a bottle will help meld and make this a more cohesive brew.

4/3.5/4/4/3.5

JohnGalt1, Oct 24, 2008

2378GCGTG, Dec 12, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottles again courtesy of my go-to Texas cohorts. :)

Staple DFH glass. A less then satisfying Mets victory to keep me drinking.

Think, porridge-like consistency coming out. A very deep & hopeless brown body once it settles. Half inch of thin tan head on top. A thick slab of sludge stays put at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell is curiously delightful. Cocoa, wheat, minor zip of bitter clove, a rounded melon scent in the background, with some perfume-y coffee creamer & alcohol on the outskirts.

Taste is a little weird. Feel is at first very grainy, grinding forward flavors of sour wheat, clove, burnt biscuits, & coffee grounds. Such a dramatic difference from what I was expecting. As it warms, a little toast & yeastiness develops, but nothing else positive. Tastes more like a new age black wheat, or awkward Belgian stout. Not very tasty regardless.

Carbonation is well in tune, body is a like I said, grainy.

In season when I received it, in the fridge since it arrived. I doubt it turned. Maybe it's just an unexpected/unintended conclusion to aging. Some of it's more recent reviews hint at it's "tang/sourness", so I know it isn't a cellaring issue.

PEBKAC, May 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Pick thanks goes out to my kind Texas friend for sending this one out to me. I always look forward to the latest and greatest in this series and this one was no exception. Served cold and poured into a pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 11/24/2008.

The pour was huge here. Deep, dark, and amazingly big looking brown color coming out of the bottle right of the bat. Smooth looking as well, with a big head of tan foam that came up the sides of the glass and reached a height of around two inches before settling back down to earth and leaving just a thin whisp of a head on the top. Lots of coating foam up and down the glass.

The aroma was very big as well. Rich notes of malt, hints of roasted tones and a nice caramel backing all coming through quite clearly. A light note of alcohol in the beginning, letting me know this was no small bock I was about to enjoy. The creamy, smooth flavor rolled across the tongue. Rich, and amazingly complex, it was like velvet that sliced through. Huge notes of caramel malts and grain that just sat there, begging me to take another sip. Fantastically full bodied this was the epitome of a big bock. I could have drank this all night, though I am sure I would have been hurting the next day.

Overall another outstanding beer in this series, this one is one of my favorites for sure. Huge and yet subtle, creamy and delicious, I would have no problems at all with try thing this one out again, in fact I was going to seek it out. Very rich, very earthy, very good.

mikesgroove, Nov 26, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

consumed on the eve of the Wolfpack's complete domination of UNC-CH, 41-10

a: into my Allagash wit glass, one-finger mocha colored head over a murky, nearly black molasses colored beer, nicely retained layer on the surface

s: layers of smooth dark chocolate roast upfront, clove and bubblegum from the yeast, dark chocolate coffee beans, the bock side comes through with dried plum, lovely roast-fruit-yeast interplay, really a lot going on here, hard to place the wheat but it's obviously there, seems to thin the darker aromas out a bit and adds a clean spiciness

m: delicate medium carbonation, body on the full side of things

t: pretty interesting, close to what I'd imagine a yeasty porter to taste like, silky dark roast and semisweet chocolate with a weizen yeast spread underneath, the wheat gives a lightness of body to the otherwise heavy beer, and adds just a little spice, long finish with dry roast and chocolate bread, earthy hops take a backseat

d: a heavier example of the style, but still reasonably drinkable for the abv

one of two from mhewes in the Pre-Season Football BiF