Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Weizenbock |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: thickerfreakness on 09-23-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 Alström Bros
2.56/5  rDev -34.7%

Bottles again courtesy of my go-to Texas cohorts. :)

Staple DFH glass. A less then satisfying Mets victory to keep me drinking.

Think, porridge-like consistency coming out. A very deep & hopeless brown body once it settles. Half inch of thin tan head on top. A thick slab of sludge stays put at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell is curiously delightful. Cocoa, wheat, minor zip of bitter clove, a rounded melon scent in the background, with some perfume-y coffee creamer & alcohol on the outskirts.

Taste is a little weird. Feel is at first very grainy, grinding forward flavors of sour wheat, clove, burnt biscuits, & coffee grounds. Such a dramatic difference from what I was expecting. As it warms, a little toast & yeastiness develops, but nothing else positive. Tastes more like a new age black wheat, or awkward Belgian stout. Not very tasty regardless.

Carbonation is well in tune, body is a like I said, grainy.

In season when I received it, in the fridge since it arrived. I doubt it turned. Maybe it's just an unexpected/unintended conclusion to aging. Some of it's more recent reviews hint at it's "tang/sourness", so I know it isn't a cellaring issue.

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%

I got six pack when this thing came out. Stuck two in my beer closet to see how it ages. Problem is I don't remember how it tasted before.

Poured it into a snifter since I'm a fancy pants. Looks dark brown, with a tan head that left a fair amount of lacing.

I don't remember it smelling this nice before. Dark fruits and maybe a little spiciness. It reminds me of red wine.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Very spicy. Not very sweet, and has a lighter body than I would have expected. The finish tastes like alcohol and dark fruit. Its really pleasant. I wish I had stuck all these in my closet since I don't remember it being so good.

Half way thru the bottle you start to taste a citrusy flavor. I guess its from the wheatbeer yeast. Up to that point I might have called it a Belgian Dark Strong Ale or something similar. People should brew this style more often. Hops are in there if you look for them, but they only serve to add some balance to the whole thing. The esters are the star of the show here.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany brown with a bit of head and lacing.

Smell: Caramel, toffee, malt, dark fruit, herbs, spice/clover

Taste: bubblegum, Caramel, toffee, malt, dark fruits, herbs, spice/clover

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a little lighter than it looks. Perhaps a bit too much carbonation. Very dry

Drinkability: Couldn't get into it. Nice but nothing like Aventinus.

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Had this one in the fridge for a few months and thought it was about time to review. #7 is going to be hard to live up to #6 which was amazing so here it goes. Pours dark, almost like the stout with almost no head, just a thin line at the top. Smell is a bit smokey, a bit malty and sweet. Taste way smoother than it should be for the style. A bit sweet up front for me but it does have a nice spice bite. Not to carbonated but finishes with a bit of a tingle. A nice change but if I could only have one more #6 I could be happy.

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer pours very dark like a porter with little to no head/lacing. the smell leaves notes of caramel and nuts. If I was given this beer I would assume it was a porter and not a weizenbock, it has deep nutty/caramel flavors with a slight taste from the yeast, I was definately expecting more flavor from the yeast. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a low carbonation level and it is a nicely drinkable brew.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

This is one of the many great beers I have gotten from Mikesgroove, this one he sent me in the Pigskin and Porter Fantasy football league.

A very dark brown body with a small, creamy tan head. Not a whole lot of retention and only some spotty lacing.

Pretty good aroma. Lots of bannana, a touch of peppery flavor. Some medicinal qualities and a good background of toffee and chocolate.

My first sip greets me with a big, sweet, malty flavor that tastes like a bock. Behind the bock flavors there is a slight peppery and medicinal quality, and after that comes a big bannana flavor. Finsihes with some boozy warmness.

Thick and creamy body that is quite nice.

Pretty drinkable. I could see this one still getting better with a little bit of time on it.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed 9/30/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body, deep blackish, with a good sized creamy light tan color head. Has a banana aroma, mediciny, chocolate, coffee. Almost smoky Creamy smokey taste, dark coffee. Very good taste. Dusty banana-like.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams beer glass.

Pours a deep & dark mahogany color with a small less than 1 finger deep head. Head quickly turns into a slight skim of foam and small bubbly ring around glass.

Smells smoky, herbal, fruity, spicy, toasty aromas.

Toasted bready malts, chocolate, coffee, smoky malts, caramel sweetness, slight sourness, plum, earthy, spice.

Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth, rich, warming.

Nice beer right here. I need to get more familiar with the style. Would gladly have this again.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

I must thank thickerfreakness for this. He included two of these in a generous and surprising box that appeared on my doorstep one bright and sunny afternoon here in Pacific Beach. If I recall correctly, that day was mediocre at best until I received this box, and it went straight to exceptional on my "day rating" chart. Thanks Charles.

I don't have a lot of experience with weizenbocks, so this should be a pretty adventurous review for me and for anyone who's reading it. What glass to choose? I just spent an hour washing glassware. I swear I spend as much time washing glassware as I do drinking out of it. I've juxtaposed 6 snifters and I guess I'll go with the Lost Abbey.

The beer is a very dark brown, almost to the point of being ebony. The beer has a half inch head that recedes in a minute, leaving some scattered lacing.

The aroma is rich and malty, with notes of chocolate, cloves, banana, and toffee. A little vanilla is noticeable, but no alcohol or hops. The flavor is also malty, and the banana character is stronger here than it was in the aroma. The cloves are noticeable, as well as dark fruits and a small amount of chocolate. The malt is rich and roasted. No hop character is noticeable and alcohol is present in the finish.

Divine Reserve #7 is full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to armock for this one!

Pours dark brown with a tan head that leaves dotted lacing.

The smell is of dark fruit, some alcohol with medicinal/herbal spicing. Not sure that I would have guessed the style correctly, but knowing it I can see it fitting well enough.

The taste is of cherries and dark fruit with a hint of banana. The alcohol is not overbearing but mixed with the herbal/medicinal spiciness it is a bit raw. There is a touch of roast (that I'm not sure really belongs here) and chocolate. Earthy spiciness gives it a very dry finish.

It is medium-bodied, towards creamy though there is a touch of harshness/astringency to it. It could use a touch more carbonation.

A bit too medicinal/herbal for me, though it maintains some balance. There is a certain "house character" to it that, along with herbal dryness, gives it a unique character for the style.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to Bu11zeye for this great extra!

A-Body is a nearly opaque dark brown hue. Pours with a <1 finger foamy light tan head that quickly fades to a thick collar and leaves behind very little lacing in the glass. When held up to the light one can see the murkiness of this brew.

S-Nose is filled with dark fruits such as raisin and plum. A spiciness accents this and balances it out. In the background is phenols...not very strong though.

T-Flavor upfront has a slight tart fruitiness to it as the plum and raisin are highlighted. In the background is spices and bready yeast. The finish is much spicier than the initial flavor and it shows as the other flavors fade. What is left to linger is a slight fruitiness and a lot of spice.

M-Low to medium carbonation and medium weight body. Body is smooth and creamy but slightly obstructed by powdery spice.

D- This is a very good Weizenbock and an awesome extra. I am glad that I tried this and would not mind having it again. Also have Divine Reserve #5 in my fridge that I can't wait to try!

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%

Rec'd in one week ago in a trade from bu11zeye alongside a couple of other absolute gems. I fell in love with the DR#5, thought the #6 rocked - so here we go, with perhaps unreasonably high hopes.

Beer is dark. I don't know why I expected it to be light & cheery, but it ain't. Smells very nice, like a hefe on steroids.

Taste doesn't quite measure up to the aroma. The dark, hard fruits are in there, but muted behind some spices...not sure what they are. But the combination doesn't quite work, like someone sprinkled cinnamon on my banana or something. And the spices lend the beer, despite it's darkness, something of a thinner mouthfeel. I'm not really feeling this one. I hate to say, but I'm not a big fan of spices in my beers; I'd be hard pressed to down another in one sitting.

Pretty good brew. Not up to the standards of the past two in the series, IMHO.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours black as night with just a hint of head around the edge of the glass. There's some ruby hue when tilted.
Smell is a little mild but mostly dark fruit, slight spice of some type I can't name. Slightly sweet.
Tastes much like the smell. Mild dark fruit, a bit of citrus hops. mild spice notes. Lingering finish of fruits
Dense and smooth mouthfeel. Very creamy and rich, probably the best part of the beer.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle shared by aljsdad.

Poured hazy reddish brown color with a moderate frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy roast chocolate malty aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Moderate sweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout beer.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle tried 22 Nov 2008. Courtesy of ManuelMandingo, thanks!

Poured in a 0.5 L Paulaner weiss glass. Very large brown head. Well carbonated. Very dark brown color, almost opaque. Smells of cloves, molasses ginger, nutmeg. Starts molasses sweet, spicy. Slightly acrid. Lots of banana flavor, some smokiness. Finish has lots of clove. Medium light body. Ethanol is light.

Nice entry in the series.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a mini pilsner glass a cloudy dark brown color. This particular bottle did not yield much head, but I have opened some of these that have a huge fluffy foam...seems to vary quite a bit from bottle to bottle.

This weizenbock is particularly high on roasty malts and chocolate notes. After a couple months, the banana and cloves have died off tremendously.

Unfortunately the same is true in the taste. Still a pretty good beer, but it certainly is not getting any better. Alcohol is evident and never really smoothed out to perfection. I was excited for this release in the DR series but was ultimately disappointed with this one as 5 and 6 were pretty stellar.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle courtesy of bu11zeye poured into a tulip.

This bottle opened with some pop and the foam came pouring out a bit. Pours a dark, murky chocolate brown with a huge creamy tan head that maintains a big ring and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is pretty fruity with lots of wheat presence, bananas coming through. There is a bit of chocolate malts in there as well.

The taste has the same wheat presence as the aroma but steps up the spiciness with some clove in the finish. The dark chocolate malts are there but less prevalent than in the aroma. There was a slight hint of sourness in the finish that I couldn't place, but not much.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated and velvety smooth going down.

This is another good offering in the DR series and a well-made weizenbock. Not the best I've had, but very tasty.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle into a flying fish pint glass. Got this as an extra.

A DV#7 pours out a murky dark tan color and once in the glass it possesses a brown color towards the middle surrounded by a red/maroon mixture. Not able to see through this at all. A careful pour yielded a 1/2 finger tan beige head that dissipated after a while.

S- A nice aroma of roasted malts and caramel with some notes of deep chocolate. Some spices like cloves as well and some fruits such as banana.

T- Compliments the smell with the banana coming up front and a dash of wheat on top. Also some mild cherry. Roasted malt notes with beady qualities. Some nice tastes of clove as well.

M Divine reserve is medium bodied with a smooth feel to it and just the right amount of carbonation within it. No alcohol to get in the way.

D- At 8% i would drink a few but i'm nowhere near texas so that's out. My first experience with this series and brewery and they delivered.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this brew from whoneeds8, Thanks Maston!

12oz bottle served in a weiss glass.

L - murky dark brown with a foamy beige head that left spotty lacing.

S - earthy wheat and a hint of chocolate.

T - malty, spiced wheat beer, notes of chocolate, clove and light banana upfront with some roasted bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with a crisp feel.

D - goes down easy for a beer with over 8% abv.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle thanks to stopbarking, much appreciated. The color on this threw me off because even though I am no expert on weizenbocks, this seemed really dark compared to the vitus I had last week. Anyway, it was quite dark brown with an ample head and still looked great. The smell and taste also threw me off. I was expecting it to be a little more German but it was quite fruity and tasted pretty darn good. The alcohol was well hidden and I drank this in no time. I wish I could be more descriptive about the flavor and aroma but muddled fruit was really all I could discern.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured - rather thickly - into a weizen glass. Dark, ruddy brown, the body of the beer is opaque. Poured with less head that I anticipated, but I got two or three fingers of tan bubbles, which themselves did not display the longevity of retention that I expected. These aren't knocks. Nicely thick cap.

Whiffs of boozy chocolate, like a chocolate rum sauce. Sharp wheat, banana, clove, dark chocolate. Raisins and cherries.

The taste pretty much befits the smell. With cocoa powder, dark chocolate, cherries, and a dash of clove. Some alcohol spice, too.

Rather lightly carbonated, but the slight prickliness nicely compliments the flavor profile, especially the bit of alcohol spice. A powdery sensation, I guess from the yeast, but a pretty chewy feel. Finishes a bit dry.

This is one of my favorite styles, and I had heard that this was something of a different take. It certainly is, but it's definitely a pleasant one.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

A generous LIF from jasonjlewis netted me this one.

An aggressive pour directly into the center of my Duvel tulip coaxes a half inch of head that rapidly disappears on top of a murky molasses colored body. Decent lacing.

Lots of wheat and bananas in the nose, along with a bit of bitter chocolate and a dash of coffee. Takes me back a few years to when I spent 6 weeks in Germany.

Nice combination of flavors. Fresh baked dark bread, brown sugar, bananas, cloves, coffee and dark chocolate up front, nice bite of wheat and cherry along with brown sugar in a finish that lingers with a noticeable burn of alcohol (seems like it could easily be more than 7.5% ABV).

The head may have died quickly, but the moderate carbonation doesn't let up and lends a nice creaminess. Sticky and sweet in the mouth after swallowing, which limits drinkability a bit.

Overall impression: Enjoyable version of a style I'd like to see more often.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to xpimptasticx for hooking me up with this one.

A - Pours a dark brown in color. The dark color mixed with the cloudiness make this one nearly opaque. The tan head topped out at just under half inch. It stuck around for a minute or two before fading to a thin cover on top of the brew. The lacing left behind is impressive.

S - There is a combination of banana and wheat that hits the nose first. It's quickly followed by dark fruit (cherry). Cocoa comes through midway to end. Could be some vanilla in there to finish it off. Alcohol is absent from the aroma.

T - Banana first. A light twang of wheat follows but neither stick around for too long. The banana does come back in at the very end but is hard to pick up except for in the aftertaste. Touches of bread crust and bittersweet chocolate really push through around the middle. Warm alcohol and dark dried fruit bring up the rear.

M - Medium bodied with a lighter carbonation that gives it a smooth mouthfeel. This beer finishes kind of odd. It's as though it doesn't really know which direction it wants to go. Too many of the flavors longer for too long making it kind of a mess.

D - Drinkability is good. The aroma and flavor of this beer work pretty well with all that is going on. Dark fruit, banana, chocolate, and alcohol sounds like the makings of a nice desert. All of that really starts to work in this beer as it warms a little. Really, the one thing that drags this beer down is in the way it finishes. That could use some work but overall I would have to say this is a pretty solid brew from Saint Arnold. Glad I got to try it out.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body with a full, foamy, khaki-colored head.

Smell: Fairly fragrant chocolate-coated, toasty wheat maltiness with background notes of fresh-ground cloves and banana slices and coffee.

Taste: Toasted bread crusts dipped in semi-sweet chocolate and toffee. Medium sweetness. Touch of roast. Distant tangy wheatiness. Black current, black cherry, and banana fruitiness. Restrained earthy spiciness. Lightly lingering spice and fruit on the drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Hey, whaddya know, this stuff is pretty darn good and very drinkable. Recommended!

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

pours translucent Mississippi River dirty brown, with frothy dirt bubbles - enticing to say the least!
smell is all over banana, sugar cookie, chocolate pudding - with some extra bittersweet bakers cocoa powder - exactly what'd I'd want from this style in the aroma
Flavors exhibit the aromas but bring a malty sweetness to the table and a nudge of hops in the far back - would want some additional complexity of fruity notes that I was expecting on the palate

I could only quaff one of these - as a desert

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company